Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***Geek Club History Draft***

Since TBBOM already has four JoaTs, I put Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim in Wildcard instead for now. I'd like to get word from TBBOM on what to do.

How would you like to make $300 million U.S. dollars a year and have all the "pink shot" vulva you could eat?

This owner and chief administrator of LFP is ranked as the number one, most powerful person in the industry that drives the internet and much of digital technology.

They killed his attacker by lethal injection a while ago. Larry was against the execution.

Larry Flynt - Administrator

Oh, and Larry says yer welcome, SUX.

Since TBBOM already has four JoaTs, I put Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim in Wildcard instead for now. I'd like to get word from TBBOM on what to do.

Putting him in wildcard is fine.

Joseph Addison - writer (fiction) - was a distinguished 18th century English poet, author, playwright, politician and classical scholar. He is recognised as one of the finest periodical essayists, who along with his friend, Richard Steele founded the daily journal, ‘The Spectator’. ‘The Spectator’ became a popular and well-read publication of that time. He contributed over 274 essays for ‘The Spectator’ and also wrote essays for the publication, ‘The Tatler’. He wrote the legendary play, ‘Cato, a Tragedy’, which is believed to be the literary inspiration behind the American Revolution. He has also authored, ‘Account Of The Greatest English Poets’,‘The Campaign’, ‘Dialogue on Medals’ and the unsuccessful opera libretto ‘Rosamund’. He served as the Under-Secretary of State, Commissioner of Appeals in the government of the 1st Earl of Halifax, Member of Parliament, secretary to the new Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Lord Wharton and as the Secretary of State for the Southern Department. He was known for his magnanimous character and cool personality. He also helped establish the English literary congregation, ‘Kit-Cat Club’, which had powerful political connections.

Tom Clancy - writer (non-fiction) - Innate storytelling ability, witty dialogues, realistic characters, exhaustive and meticulous description are few of the trademark signs of Tom Clancy’s novels. A master of fiction and non-fiction, he was responsible for conceiving the character of Jack Ryan. An insurance agent by profession, Clancy’s love for writing was a long cherished one. He started writing novels in his pastime soon turning his hobby into his passion and eventually his career. Right from his debut novel, he was a huge hit among the readers and the critics alike. His first novel, ‘The Hunt for Red October’ gave the readers a perfect example of his distinctive writing style and inherent storytelling skills. The work was much appreciated by the then US President Ronald Reagan as well, who commented it to be “my kind of yarn”. The compliment was enough to boost the sales of the book which zoomed to 300,000 hardcover and 2 million paperback copies. Over the years, about seventeen of his novels achieved the bestselling status with more than 100 million of his books in print. He was responsible for expanding and redefining the genre of fiction. Most of his novels have been developed into television series, films and video games.

Finishing up the poet category with another amazing songwriter and poet. - Leonard Cohen

He deserves to make the list for this song alone.

Jeff Buckley's version is probably the best, but here's another interesting take:

TBBOM can go.

Skip both Bear and TBBOM, they both are owed two now.

Yu the Great - Engineer

Yu successfully devised a system of flood controls that were crucial in establishing the prosperity of the Chinese heartland. Instead of directly damming the rivers' flow, Yu made a system of irrigation canals which relieved floodwater into fields, as well as spending great effort dredging the riverbeds. Yu is said to have eaten and slept with the common workers and spent most of his time personally assisting the work of dredging the silty beds of the rivers for the thirteen years the projects took to complete. The dredging and irrigation were successful, and allowed ancient Chinese culture to flourish along the Yellow River, Wei River, and other waterways of the Chinese heartland. The project earned Yu renown throughout Chinese history, and is referred to in Chinese history as "Great Yu Controls the Waters." In particular, Mount Longmen along the Yellow River had a very narrow channel which blocked water from flowing freely east toward the ocean. Yu is said to have brought a large number of workers to open up this channel, which has been known ever since as "Yu's Gateway"

-----

James Watson and Francis Crick - Wildcards

jointly awarded the 1962 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine "for their discoveries concerning the molecular structure of nucleic acids and its significance for information transfer in living material".

----

To Vudu

I apologize for my absence. Aside from being away from the internet, when I can get on my pages won't load or load slowly.

I will wing this one.

Me pimping a religious based organization would be a strong entry in the "Donkey's Fly" category, if we had one in the GHD. The organization is present in 127 countries world wide and has 4,5 million volunteers. You probably feel like you saw a good number of them ringing a bell and standing next to a red kettle. The Salvation Army collects donations and helps about 32 million people a year in the United States alone. The SA's help has been present since 1865. They were there to help at the Galveston Hurricane in 1900 and the San Francisco Earthquake in 1906.

The General in charge has held the office since 1979. Under his watch, the Salvation Army has assisted at the site of numerous disasters such as the Indonesian Tsunami where they took glam jobs like burying the dead. During Katrina, they distributed water and set up field kitchens to feed the victims. After Katrina, the organization helped victims of Katrina after they migrated away from the area.

Andre Cox - Administrator.

Mike Tyson - athlete

Lance Armstrong athlete

Sure. One was a psycho, and the other a cheat. But they were both one of the most dominant athletes of all time.

Wilfred Winkenbach - businessman - Modern fantasy football can be traced back to the late Wilfred "Bill the Gill" Winkenbach, an Oakland area businessman and a limited partner in the Oakland Raiders. In a New York hotel room during a 1962 Raiders eastern cross-country trip, Winkenbach, along with Raiders Public Relations man Bill Tunnel and Tribune reporter Scotty Stirling, developed a system of organization and a rulebook, which would eventually be the basis of modern fantasy football.

The inaugural league was called the GOPPPL (Greater Oakland Professional Pigskin Prognosticators League), and the first draft took place in the rumpus room of Winkenbach's home in Oakland, California in August 1963.[2] The league consisted of eight members, made up of administrative affiliates of the AFL, pro football journalists, or someone who had purchased or sold 10 season tickets for the Raiders’ 1963 season. Each roster consisted of the following in the GOPPPL: two quarterbacks, four halfbacks, two fullbacks, four offensive ends, two kick/punt returners, two field goal kickers, two defensive backs/linebackers and two defensive linemen. The current GOPPPL roster now includes: two quarterbacks, four halfbacks, six wide receivers/tight ends, two kickers, two defensive backs, one return team, and a bonus pick for any position. As of 2012, the GOPPPL celebrated its 50th season and it still maintains its TD-only scoring heritage.

Best pick of the draft so far considering what forum we are posting on right?

Henry Purcell - composer - was a 17th century English musician and composer, counted among the greatest English composers of all time. A highly renowned musical figure of his era, his compositions covered a wide range of fields including the church, the stage, and the court. Blessed with an open mind, he loved to learn from musicians all around Europe and incorporated stylistic elements of Italian and French music into his compositions. He developed his own unique style of English Baroque music characterized by elaborate musical ornamentation and his inventiveness made him one of the most original composers in Europe. Born into a family of musicians, Purcell was perhaps destined to become a musician. His father was a musician at court and his uncle too was a singer. He faced a tragic blow early on in life when his father died unexpectedly, leaving the young boy under the care of his uncle. His uncle raised him with love and encouraged his passion for music. He received training in music from Captain Henry Cooke and was made a chorister in the Chapel Royal. He also started composing at a young age and eventually became famous as a composer and songwriter. His illustrious career however came to an abrupt end when he died unexpectedly of an illness when he was just in his mid-thirties.

90sbaby a bit quick at the draw.

Vudu was not skipped and can take two.

90sbaby went so it's to Bear.

Updated to 122.2

Still Bear's turn for a few more hours.

On August 15, 1934, the Bathysphere reached a depth of one half mile in the ocean. The sphere descended until they ran out of cable. There were two men inside of the cast iron ball; and engineer and creator of the Bathysphere, Otis Barton, and a naturalist, William Beebe. The depth record held until 1949 when it was broken again by Otis Barton.

The stones these guys had were not carried by your garden variety explorers. During testing, the unmanned Bathysphere had leaked. It filled up with frigid water under enormous pressure. If the explorers had been inside, they would have reached a new level of dead that could be termed "more dead". Water under that much pressure cuts through metal. During an earlier dive, the surface ship encountered rough seas and the men got bounced around in the tiny ball, returning to the surface bruised and bloodied.

William Beebe and Otis Barton - explorers

I got the go-ahead from TBBOM to skip him, he says he'll pick in the morning which is still 12 hours off so Bear can go.

Muhammad Ibn Battuta - Talk Show Guest

This guy is the Islamic version of Marco Polo.

Ibn Baṭūṭah (/ˌɪbənbætˈttɑː/ Arabic: أبو عبد الله محمد بن عبد الله اللواتي الطنجي بن بطوطة‎, ʾAbū ʿAbd al-Lāh Muḥammad ibn ʿAbd al-Lāh l-Lawātī ṭ-Ṭanǧī ibn Baṭūṭah), or simply Muhammad Ibn Battuta (ابن بطوطة) (February 25, 1304 – 1368 or 1369), was a Medieval Muslim traveler and scholar, who is widely recognized as one of the greatest travelers of all time.[1][2] He is known for his extensive travels, accounts of which were published in the Rihla (lit. "Journey"). Over a period of thirty years, Ibn Battuta visited most of the known Islamic world as well as many non-Muslim lands. His journeys included trips to North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Africa and Eastern Europe, and to the Middle East, South Asia, Central Asia, Southeast Asia and China.

I haven't read his book but he got to see Persia before and after the Mongols depopulated the place which must make for an interesting compare and contrast.

----

Remember how i told you that Uzbekistan/Afghanistan wasn't always a total sh*thole? That it use to have a modern culture and stuff. the guy I just took was there when the change occured. This guy was long dead by then but part of the greatness of the place. I came across his names many times over as I researched this draft now it's time to take him.

I may move him to JoaT but I've got somebody else I like there.

Al- Biruni - Writer (Non-Fiction)

Abū al-Rayhān Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Bīrūnī (Chorasmian/Persian: ابوریحان بیرونی‎‎ Abū Rayḥān Bērōnī;[3][4]New Persian: Abū Rayḥān Bīrūnī[5]) (4/5 September 973 – 13 December 1048), known as Al-Biruni (Arabic: البيروني‎) in English,[6] was a Khwarezmian Iranian[7][8][9] scholar and polymath.

Al-Biruni is regarded as one of the greatest scholars of the medieval Islamic era and was well versed in physics, mathematics, astronomy, and natural sciences, and also distinguished himself as a historian, chronologist and linguist.[9] He was conversant in Khwarezmian, Persian, Arabic, Sanskrit, and also knew Greek, Hebrew and Syriac. He spent a large part of his life in Ghazni in modern-day Afghanistan, capital of the Ghaznavid dynasty which was based in what is now central-eastern Afghanistan. In 1017 he traveled to the Indian subcontinent and authored “Tarikh Al-Hind” (History of India) after exploring the Hindu faith practised in India. He is given the titles the "founder of Indology". He was an impartial writer on custom and creeds of various nations, and was given the title al-Ustadh ("The Master") for his remarkable description of early 11th-century India.[9] He also made contributions to Earth sciences, and is regarded as the "father of geodesy" for his important contributions to that field, along with his significant contributions to geography.

TBBOM has two coming, in the mean time, Bear can go.

The CEO of Halliburton stepped down from his (administrative) position to make sure there was no conflict of interest when he became Vice-President of the United States.

Right.

Oh, and he got a $20 million dollar retirement package from Halliburton.

I wonder if he might find himself in a position as V.P. to further Halliburton's interest.

Naw. Nothing like that would ever happen, Pollyanna.

###### Cheney - Administrator

Volty, please move William the Conqueror out of the Administrator category and place him under Conqueror #2. Also, please move Shaka Zulu out of Conquerors and into Generals (strategic). Thank you.

Truman Capote - nonfiction - is one among the best novelists that the literary world has ever had. He wanted to be writer ever since he was a child and often carried a dictionary and notebook and penned stories. He was an average student and did well in subjects which sparked his interest. The author completed basic education and did not pursue higher studies as he did not believe that a professor could influence an individual’s creativity. The broad minded person that he was, this writer did not believe in hiding his homosexuality by fearing the society. Rather, he openly manifested his homosexual relationships. He was a keen observer and his writings had a vivid and eloquent touch. This author was innovative and in his works, he introduced some new techniques of writing which were not used by any writer before. His creativity was not limited to short stories and novels, he also wrote screenplay and dialogue for films which were equally appreciated. One of his most famous works ‘In Cold Blood’ which is based on a true murder incident. Capote did extensive research before penning this novel and his hard work paid off when it turned out to be a bestseller. The non-fiction book is popular among reader till today.

Noah Webster - nonfiction - became one of the most distinguished lexicographers in the United States of America after he published ‘The American Speller’, which also came to be known as ‘The Blue-Backed Speller’. He was extremely obsessive about words, grammar and punctuation, which he put together in, perhaps, the most popular spelling books and dictionaries ever created at the time. Webster revealed very early on the requirement for American-English manuals, which lacked during his time. Thus, he went on to pen some of the most prominent spelling and grammar books which are even used in modern times, one of which is ‘An American Dictionary of the English Language’. He was, for half a century, among the most powerful and the most dynamic literary menfolk in the United States. Apart from being a lexicographer, he was also a well-known teacher, political writer, editor and author and was fondly known as the ‘Father of American Scholarship and Education’. Notwithstanding great milestones in the field of education, he also battled for patent laws, a sturdy centralized government, common education and also supported the abolition of slavery. Amid fighting for these causes, he wrote several textbooks, revised fortnightlies and founded the Amherst College. At the time of his demise, he was already an American icon and hero.

It's Vudu's turn, he's not been on the clock very long.

Meanwhile, TBBOM was skipped and still owed two.

90sbaby made two picks prematurely, one of which -Truman Capote - was already selected.

So Vudu for one. If it's not Webster, Webster is locked in for 90sbaby and 90sbaby can take one more. TBBOM can come in at any time with his two makeup picks.

I have to pick now I probably won't be around the computer till late tomorrow night.

Giuseppe Fortunino Francesco Verdi - composer - was an Italian romantic composer who is regarded as one of the most influential composers of the 19th century. He concentrated more on composing operas, most of which are still performed in opera houses throughout the world. His works reflected the popular culture of his time and his works are still adored and revered by musicians all over the world even now. Being an amazingly talented music enthusiast, his works were noted for the musical luster they embodied. Verdi’s compositions were influenced by great musicians like Gaetano Donizetti, Saverio Mercadante, Rossini, Bellini and Giacomo Meyerbeer. Lacking any strong schooling in the discipline of music, his achievements were purely out of his strong innate taste for music. Verdi himself had said that "Of all composers, past and present, I am the least learned."

Vudu still on the clock for a few hours, if he doesn't show up, I'll be asleep, but around lunch time in Texas, Bear can go.

Volty, please move William the Conqueror out of the Administrator category and place him under Conqueror #2. Also, please move Shaka Zulu out of Conquerors and into Generals (strategic). Thank you.

Done

I am walking around the house fretting over a good last pick pick in the seductress category. This late in the game, against serious competition, I fear I am relegated to history's scrap heap. Do I have to pick Madonna? I actually like Madonna, but not as a seductress pick.

My son is watching 30 Rock in the family room and I go in and have a seat. As soon as I sit down. Alex Baldwin rattles off a short list of seductresses.

One of them could be a pick of Biblical proportions.

Just like Madonna, She is known through out history by a single name.

She could turn a king's head with her "dance of the seven veils".

The kind of girl somebody could lose their head over.

Salome - Seductress

Sometimes, and often in my case, it is better to be lucky than smart. :banana:

http://www.3dartistonline.com/image/2536/salome

• Like 1

Skip TBBOM again...

Maximilien Robespierre - Wildcard

Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre (IPA: [mak.si.mi.ljɛ̃ fʁɑ̃.swa ma.ʁi i.zi.dɔʁ də ʁɔ.bɛs.pjɛʁ]; 6 May 1758 – 28 July 1794) was a French lawyer and politician, and one of the best-known and most influential figures of the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror.

As a member of the Estates-General, the Constituent Assembly and the Jacobin Club, Robespierre was an outspoken advocate of the poor and of democratic institutions. Early during the revolution Robespierre opposed war with Austria, and the warned of the possibility of a military coup by the Marquis de Lafayette. Though he was an ardent opponent of the death penalty, Robespierre played an important role in arguing for the execution of King Louis XVI, and the creation of a French Republic. He would campaign for equality of rights and universal male suffrage in France, for price controls on basic food commodities, and successfully advocated for the abolition of slavery in the French colonies.

While France was beset by crises including external and civil war, Robespierre became an important figure during the French Revolution's Reign of Terror. He was named as a member of the powerful Committee of Public Safety launched by his political ally Georges Danton, and exerted his influence to suppress the left wing Hébertists. Robespierre later moved against the more moderate Danton, who was accused of corruption. The terror ended a few months after Robespierre's arrest and execution in July 1794, and was followed by a white terror. The political figures of the Thermidorian reaction who rose to power after Robespierre's downfall accused him of being the "soul" of the Terror.[1] Robespierre's personal responsibility for the excesses of the Terror remain the subject of intense debate among historians of the French Revolution.[2]

Influenced by 18th-century Enlightenment philosophes such as Rousseau and Montesquieu, Robespierre was a capable articulator of the beliefs of the left-wing bourgeoisie and a deist. He opposed Dechristianization of France during the French Revolution. His steadfast adherence and defense of the views he expressed earned him the nickname l'Incorruptible (The Incorruptible).[3] His reputation has gone through cycles. It peaked in the 1920s when the influential French historian Albert Mathiez argued he was an eloquent spokesman for the poor and oppressed, an enemy of royalist intrigues, a vigilant adversary of dishonest and corrupt politicians, a guardian of the French Republic, an intrepid leader of the French Revolutionary government, and a prophet of a socially responsible state.[4] In more recent times his reputation has suffered as historians associate him with radical purification of politics by the killing of enemies.[5][6][7]

--------

Richard Sorge - Wildcard

I alrady took one Soviet spy and put him in Criminal, here's another for Wildcard...

• "A devastating example of a brilliant success of espionage." – Douglas MacArthur, General of the Army
  • "His work was impeccable." – Kim Philby
  • "In my whole life, I have never met anyone as great as he was." – Mitsusada Yoshikawa, Chief Prosecutor in the Sorge trials who obtained Sorge's death sentence.
  • "Sorge was the man whom I regard as the most formidable spy in history." – Ian Fleming
  • "Richard Sorge was the best spy of all time." – Tom Clancy
  • "The spy who changed the world." – Lance Morrow
  • "Somehow, amidst the Bonds and Smiley's People, we have ignored the greatest of 20th century spy stories – that of Stalin's Sorge, whose exploits helped change history." – Carl Bernstein
  • "Richard Sorge's brilliant espionage work saved Stalin and the Soviet Union from defeat in the fall of 1941, probably prevented a Nazi victory in World War Two and thereby assured the dimensions of the world we live in today." – Larry Collins
  • "The spies in history who can say from their graves, the information I supplied to my masters, for better or worse, altered the history of our planet, can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Richard Sorge was in that group." – Frederick Forsyth
  • "Stalin's James Bond." – Le Figaro

Richard Sorge (October 4, 1895 – November 7, 1944) was a Soviet military intelligence officer, active before and during the Second World War, working as an undercover German journalist in both Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan. His codename was "Ramsay" (Russian: Рамза́й).

Sorge is most famous for his service in Japan in 1940 and 1941, when he provided information about Adolf Hitler's plan to attack the Soviet Union, although he did not succeed in finding out the exact date of the attack.

In mid-September 1941, he informed the Soviet command that Japan was not going to attack the Soviet Union in the near future, which allowed the command to transfer 18 divisions, 1,700 tanks, and over 1,500 aircraft from Siberia and the Far East to the Western Front against Nazi Germany during the most critical months of the Battle for Moscow; one of the turning points of the of World War II.

A month later Sorge was arrested in Japan on the counts of espionage. The German Abwehr legitimately denied he was an agent; USSR repudiated him and refused three offers to spare him through a prisoner exchange. He was tortured, forced to confess, tried, and then hanged in November 1944. Two decades passed before he was posthumously awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union in 1964.

-----

TBBOM can make up his two picks at any time. To Bear.

Started looking at my Talk Show Guest and realized I didn't have a single skirt, and speaking of skirts. I love watching them try to pull their micro-mini skirts to within a foot of their knees.

I don't think anybody needs any info on:

Jennifer Lawrence - Talk Show Guest

On this date in 1850, Sofia Kovalevskaya was born in Moscow, Russian Empire. Despite her early aptitude with mathematics, women were not allowed to attend university in Russia, so she arranged a fictitious marriage to Vladimir Kovalevskij and emigrated to Germany. In 1874 she became the first woman in Europe to earn a doctoral degree in mathematics. One of the papers she published at the time introduced a theorem that gave the conditions for solutions to a set of partial differential equations. In the 1880s she moved to Sweden and became the first woman to hold a professorial chair in northern Europe and one of the first women to work for a scientific journal as an editor.

Mathematician

Skip 90sbaby. TBBOM is still owed two.

Back to Vudu.

Holy Hell, we're running out of juice.

TBBOM still owed two. 90sbaby still owed two, skip Vudu.

To Bear.

Just 20 more names (each) to go. Let's finish up. We're 6/7 of the way done. If you're running out of names, I have plenty. Say the word and can help drag your ass across the finish line.

David Chalmers-Philosopher

Probably the youngest among the rest, David Chalmers was born in 1966, in Australia. Another example of an unorthodox philosopher, Chalmers too belongs to the New York University crew of star philosophers, but also teaches at the Australian National University. Advertised by the press as one of the best books of the year of its publication, The Conscious Mind is his magnum opus, where he revives the long dead worldview of dualism, going as far back as Rene Descartes and the 16th century. Dubbing it naturalistic dualism, his philosophy argues to the effect that the properties of the mind are of a significantly different kind of the properties of the rest of the physical world.

Aldo Leopold - nonfiction - was a well known ecologist, forester, environmentalist, scientist and a well-known American author. Besides teaching at the University of Wisconsin, he also authored “A Sand County Almanac”. With this book, he introduced his opinion on ‘land ethic’, his innovative ideas about the preservation of land. It was Aldo who, for the first time, used the term ‘wilderness’ to describe wildlife preservation. He played a crucial role in the development of Gila Wilderness, the first national wilderness area in the Forest Service system. He was the co-founder of the Wilderness Society and Wildlife Society. Possessing great expertise on wildlife management, he campaigned for the scientific management of wildlife habitats by public as well as private landholders. Through his book “Game Management”, he discussed the necessary technique of managing and restoring wildlife population. Apart from that, he published more than 300 articles, papers and newsletters on scientific concepts and received wide recognition for his articles on wilderness. His valuable suggestions regarding biodiversity and ecology had a great influence on the environmental movement. His new "ecological ethic" stressed the importance of predators in the balance of nature. It helped in the return of bears and mountain lions to New Mexico wilderness.

Anais Nin - seductress - was a renowned writer who is famous for her journals written for a period spanning six decades. Nin was born French-Cuban but lived in the United States in her later years of life till she died. Nin’s works revolved around accounts of her relationships with authors, artists, psychoanalysts, and other figures. Her journals spoke of life and its balancing acts. Much of Nin’s written works have been published after her death. Nin is hailed as a great erotic literature writer and some of her notable and popular works are “Delta of Venus”, “Little Birds” and “Henry and June”. Nin was known to have a male mindset and had sexual relations with men and women whom she portrayed in her novels and journals which were works of fiction and reality. Some of her journals include “A Café in Space”, “the Anais Nin Literary Journal” which are being brought recently which also include “Anais Nin and Joaquín Nin y Castellanos: Prelude to a Symphony—Letters between a father and daughter”. Nin had been a visiting lecturer in several colleges and given a fine impetus to the feminist movement with her strong writings. Some of her writings were made into films and she was also portrayed in a feature length film made by Maria de Medeiros.

Imagine walking 700 miles to pick a fight. Walking was all you could do, since there were no pack animals; not even a push cart. After the march, you can imagine that the Mayans in what would become Guatemala were pretty surprised to see you. Not a bad strategy.

Another good strategic move is to ask for additional warriors (I am guessing these lucky souls got to carry plenty of stuff. You would have thought the wheel idea would have come up; but no.) from other surrounding city states. If you did not contribute to the effort, you were placed on the list of candidates for next years conquest. After you got conquered you might get saved until the grand opening of a new temple. The low number of hearts cut out for one temple dedication was 20,000. High number 80,000.

So lets recap the strategy: Get supporting troops, travel long distances, and hit 'em with a surprise attack. That worked for this Aztec ruler and warrior, who extended the Aztec empire to its greatest size.

Ahuitzotl - General (strategic)

So, if I can pump TBBOM for more names, we're back on track.

He's owed two, plus this one, three. Then a 4th after I go.

Ok, so I owe four picks... I dont even remember what I need still. Hold on...

1. William Einthoven - inventor. Dutch doctor who invented the first EKG.

2. Carl Jung - Doctor. Might as well pair him with Freud for the headshrinkers.

3. Otto Hahn (1879-1968) – German (scientist other)
Chemist who discovered nuclear fission (1939). Pioneering scientist in the field of radio-chemistry. Discovered radio-active elements and nuclear isomerism (1921). Awarded Nobel Prize for Chemistry (1944)

4. Franz Joseph Hayden -

The Arts

Top 15 Greatest Composers Of All Time

Listverse Staff

December 17, 2009

When FlameHorse sent this list in, I was rather surprised to find that after two and a half years, we have not features a list of greatest composers! We have had influential composers, composers you didn’t know, and composers who died odd deaths. So, filling in the gap we now present the greatest composers ever.

Franz Joseph Haydn

The father of the modern symphony and the inventor of the string quartet. He wrote 340 hours of music, more than any other composer. His symphonies, though, leave a lot to be desired, as he himself said on his deathbed, “I have just figured out how to use the winds.” They are more like 1 symphony with 103 variations.

He invented the string quartet when only three members of an ensemble were able to attend a recital. A violinist, a violist, and a cellist. Haydn quickly re-orchestrated one of his composition scheduled for that evening, for a quartet including himself as a second violinist. He liked the sound so much that he decided to write more music for the orchestration.