Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***Geek Club History Draft***

Rafael - Artist (Visual)

I was wanting to go Visual Artist here and Rodin was one of the three I was considering. But I won't claw him back since in a close decision, I had already decided to take the last Ninja Turtle instead. That gives me 3/4 of them.

David Hume - Philosopher

Uh, oh he's my fifth Philosopher and Thinker is already full. No problem.

I'm moving Socrates to Talk Show Guest. Everybody else I had wrote volume after volume after volume whereas, Socrates never wrote anything down and so everything we know of him comes from others. He thought talking things out was the key to understanding and getting his point across so we'll move him there.

--

Updated to 107.2

Bear's turn

Emily Dickinson - Poet

Only a handful of her poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886 and a complete book of her work was not published until 1955. She shared her poems in correspondence to friends and changed lines from letter to letter. She was reclusive, and many of her friendships depended entirely on correspondence.

(From Vudu in my inbox)

I'll post a few picks out of turn here to help keep it moving. If you need to skip me for a turn or two, that's fine, I'll catch up when I get back. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannuaka , Kick Ass Kwanza and Joyous Atheist Day! If somebody wants one of these people, that's ok too.

Switzerland has been called the world's greatest democracy, and the happiest country in the world.

They're rich, they live longer, they're in shape, they work 35 hours/wk, they're smart, they have a great healthcare, they don't take sides or fight wars, it's very scenic and arguably the closest thing to true democracy the world has ever known.

The country has it's fair share of downsides too. Lots of rules, it's generally pretty boring, and despite never fighting in any wars, they have conscription.

All in all, it's probably the best place to live in the entire world.

In 1848, the federal statesmen who became the first members of the first Swiss Federal Council collaborated to lay the groundwork and set Switzerland on it's current path.

They are: Ulrich Ochsenbein, Jakob Stämpfli, Jonas Furrer, Josef Munzinger, Henri Druey, Friedrich Frey-Herosé, Wilhelm Matthias Naeff and Stefano Franscini. Statesmen: - Collaborators and champions of democracy.

For the sake of efficiency, please list them as Statesmen: The First Swiss Federal Council. No need to list them individually. In fact, I'd wager they'd prefer it that way.

-----

I gotta say I'm really uncomfortable with this pick. Musical groups kind of streched colaborator to it's limits but I'll put this out for everybody to chime in.

The reason we have collaborarot I didn't want somebody to say Orville Wright and leaving Wilber out there for another person to pick. They're clearly a team. Or how Magellan only made it half way around the globe (although on a previous excursion as a junior officer, he'd already been to the Straights of Malacca so personally it was 96%, but this, his most famous expedition,h only got him halfway.)

Also Vudu sent me six picks, this one with it's eight man council. Another is Ptolomy whose long gone, so it's five or maybe four depending on what we do with this one. Meanwhile, 90sbaby's cheatsheet is done.

Frances Xavier - Religious Leader - Francis Xavier was a Basque Roman Catholic Missionary and a co-founder of the Society of Jesus. He was born as Francisco de Jasso y Azpilicueta in Navarre into a prosperous family. He had a happy childhood until the age of nine when his father passed away. He received his early education from his mother and a parish priest and later left home to pursue his studies at the University of Paris. He met Ignatius of Loyola in 1529, who was a roommate and was 15 years elder to him. After several dialogues with Ignatius who had undergone a religious conversion, Xavier became one of the first seven Jesuits to undertake the vows of poverty and chastity, and also pledged his allegiance to the Pope. The friendship between Ignatius and Xavier was the one for a lifetime. Francis Xavier achieved priesthood in 1537 and on the Pope's order he became the first foreign missionary to visit India. After landing in Goa, he started learning the local language. He began preaching, attending to the sick and teaching children. His work was notable and he enjoyed reasonable success, but found hardships while trying to convert the Brahmins. After India, he visited Indonesia, Malaysia, and Japan. He then decided to visit China, but fell ill before reaching the mainland and died.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - Religious Leader - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was a well-known spiritual leader and the founder of Transcendental Meditation technique. A disciple of Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, Maharishi wanted to popularize the traditional technique of meditation learnt from his Master. Hence, he started public teachings of the transcendental meditation technique and commenced a world tour to popularize it among the westerners. After touring UK and USA, in order to spread the Spiritual Regeneration Movement, Maharishi returned to India and organized his first International Teacher Training Course in Rishikesh, which aimed at training the experienced practitioners of the Transcendental Meditation technique. Maharishi also established universities to combine Modern Science with Vedic Science.

From Vudu then Bear

----

Vudu -

2. Ptolomy - sorry taken

3. Religious Leader: Abraham

Abraham is given a high position of respect in three major world faiths, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. In Judaism he is the founding father of the Covenant, the special relationship between the Jewish people and God – a belief which gives the Jews a unique position as the Chosen People of God.

He also gave man license to seek their own path in life as an expression of free will and lawful co-existence with others.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham

----

Bear

Give me three hail Mary's and a pick in the Geek History Draft:

Mary - Great Women

I wonder if she is up there floating on a cloud wondering why Sacajawea was picked before Lewis and Clark and she got left hangin'. Damn.

------

To TBBOM. Still waiting to hear from folks opinions on Vudu's eight man collaboration from five picks ago.

(From Vudu in my inbox)

I'll post a few picks out of turn here to help keep it moving. If you need to skip me for a turn or two, that's fine, I'll catch up when I get back. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannuaka , Kick Ass Kwanza and Joyous Atheist Day! If somebody wants one of these people, that's ok too.

Switzerland has been called the world's greatest democracy, and the happiest country in the world.

They're rich, they live longer, they're in shape, they work 35 hours/wk, they're smart, they have a great healthcare, they don't take sides or fight wars, it's very scenic and arguably the closest thing to true democracy the world has ever known.

The country has it's fair share of downsides too. Lots of rules, it's generally pretty boring, and despite never fighting in any wars, they have conscription.

All in all, it's probably the best place to live in the entire world.

In 1848, the federal statesmen who became the first members of the first Swiss Federal Council collaborated to lay the groundwork and set Switzerland on it's current path.

They are: Ulrich Ochsenbein, Jakob Stämpfli, Jonas Furrer, Josef Munzinger, Henri Druey, Friedrich Frey-Herosé, Wilhelm Matthias Naeff and Stefano Franscini. Statesmen: - Collaborators and champions of democracy.

For the sake of efficiency, please list them as Statesmen: The First Swiss Federal Council. No need to list them individually. In fact, I'd wager they'd prefer it that way.

-----

I gotta say I'm really uncomfortable with this pick. Musical groups kind of streched colaborator to it's limits but I'll put this out for everybody to chime in.

The reason we have collaborarot I didn't want somebody to say Orville Wright and leaving Wilber out there for another person to pick. They're clearly a team. Or how Magellan only made it half way around the globe (although on a previous excursion as a junior officer, he'd already been to the Straights of Malacca so personally it was 96%, but this, his most famous expedition,h only got him halfway.)

Also Vudu sent me six picks, this one with it's eight man council. Another is Ptolomy whose long gone, so it's five or maybe four depending on what we do with this one. Meanwhile, 90sbaby's cheatsheet is done.

My thought process:

Switzerland exemplifies true democracy better than any other current form of government on the planet.

IMO, the primary reason for the country's success is due to the creation of the their federal constitution which gave the central government control over defense, trade and legal matters, leaving local cantons and communes to decide almost everything else.

I've not been able to identify any one individual who was responsible for creating, drafting or implementing the constitution. Rather, all members of the Swiss Federal Council worked together to create it and put it in motion.

If you asked the average Swiss guy to tell you about the greatest Swiss President ever, he probably wouldn't have an answer. The President of the Swiss Confederation is the presiding member of Swiss Council and is elected for a term of one year. He/she is not a head of state, and has no powers over and above any the remaining members of the council.

Since 1848, there is not a single Swiss leader I can point to that has had a bigger impact on the country than any other. Again, this is what makes the system so great.

Take a look at this list of Swiss Presidents and let me know if any of them jump out at you as a great statesman on his/her own merits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_Swiss_Confederation#1848.E2.80.931874

Annie Oakley - Performing Artist

Annie Oakley (born Phoebe Ann Mosey; August 13, 1860 – November 3, 1926) was an American sharpshooter and exhibition shooter. Her "amazing talent"[1] first came to light when the then 15-year-old won a shooting match with traveling show marksman Frank E. Butler (whom she married). The couple joined Buffalo Bill's Wild West show a few years later. Oakley became a renowned international star, performing before royalty and heads of state.

Oakley also was variously known as "Miss Annie Oakley", "Little Sure Shot", "Little Miss Sure Shot", "Watanya Cicilla", "Phoebe Anne Oakley", "Mrs. Annie Oakley", "Mrs. Annie Butler", and "Mrs. Frank Butler". Her death certificate gives her name as "Annie Oakley Butler".[2]

Oscar Wilde - Writer, Fiction

I always loved The Picture of Dorian Gray. And I'm not one to read plays much, but The Importance of Being Earnest is a great one.

Plus the dude has to make the smartass hall of fame. That makes him welcome on the red team.

_______

As for the issue of the Swiss council pick, I hate to be a richard, but I have to vote no on that one. It just creates to wide a door. I could then pick the second continental congress, or the council of Nicea, or the congress of vienna, or the Estates general that got the french revolution going.

While I wouldn't necessarily have been opposed to having that option, it is a little late now, as many of my categories are full.

It's time to tap two of the Chinese folks I've kept under my hat a long time.

Shen is an uncommon Chinese surname. It is however my wife's surname and that one my next pick...

Shen Kuo - Jack of all Trades

He invented the compass among a lifetime of doing all sorts of different works in a variety of fields

Shen Kuo or Shen Gua (Chinese: 沈括; pinyin: Shěn Kuò; Wade–Giles: Shen K'uo) (1031–1095),courtesy name Cunzhong (存中) and pseudonym Mengqi (now usually given as Mengxi) Weng(夢溪翁),[1] was a Han Chinese polymathic scientist and statesman of the Song dynasty (960–1279). Excelling in many fields of study and statecraft, he was a mathematician, astronomer, meteorologist,geologist, zoologist, botanist, pharmacologist, agronomist, archaeologist, ethnographer,cartographer, encyclopedist, general, diplomat, hydraulic engineer, inventor, academy chancellor,finance minister, governmental state inspector, poet, and musician. He was the head official for theBureau of Astronomy in the Song court, as well as an Assistant Minister of Imperial Hospitality.[2] At court his political allegiance was to the Reformist faction known as the New Policies Group, headed by Chancellor Wang Anshi (1021–1086).

In his Dream Pool Essays (夢溪筆談; Mengxi Bitan) of 1088, Shen was the first to describe the magnetic needle compass, which would be used for navigation (first described in Europe byAlexander Neckam in 1187).[3][4] Shen discovered the concept of true north in terms of magnetic declination towards the north pole,[4] with experimentation of suspended magnetic needles and "the improved meridian determined by Shen's [astronomical] measurement of the distance between thepole star and true north".[5] This was the decisive step in human history to make compasses more useful for navigation, and may have been a concept unknown in Europe for another four hundred years (evidence of German sundials made circa 1450 show markings similar to Chinese geomancer compasses in regard to declination).[6][7]

Alongside his colleague Wei Pu, Shen planned to map the orbital paths of the Moon and the planets in an intensive five-year project involving daily observations, yet this was thwarted by political opponents at court.[8] To aid his work in astronomy, Shen Kuo made improved designs of thearmillary sphere, gnomon, sighting tube, and invented a new type of inflow water clock. Shen Kuo devised a geological hypothesis for land formation (geomorphology), based upon findings of inlandmarine fossils, knowledge of soil erosion, and the deposition of silt.[9] He also proposed a hypothesis of gradual climate change, after observing ancient petrified bamboos that were preserved underground in a dry northern habitat that would not support bamboo growth in his time. He was the first literary figure in China to mention the use of the drydock to repair boats suspended out of water, and also wrote of the effectiveness of the relatively new invention of the canal pound lock. AlthoughIbn al-Haytham (965–1039) was the first to describe camera obscura, Shen was the first in China to do so, several decades later. Shen wrote extensively about movable type printing invented by Bi Sheng (990–1051), and because of his written works the legacy of Bi Sheng and the modern understanding of the earliest movable type has been handed down to later generations.[10] Following an old tradition in China, Shen created a raised-relief map while inspecting borderlands. His description of an ancient crossbow mechanism which he himself unearthed proved to be a Jacob's staff, a surveying tool which wasn't known in Europe until described by Levi ben Gerson in 1321.

Shen Kuo wrote several other books besides the Dream Pool Essays, yet much of the writing in his other books has not survived. Some of Shen's poetry was preserved in posthumous written works. Although much of his focus was on technical and scientific issues, he had an interest in divination and the supernatural, the latter including his vivid description of unidentified flying objects from eyewitness testimony. He also wrote commentary on ancient Daoist and Confucian texts.

My next pick is a central figure as historian of ancient Chinese history. He compiled all the classics of antiquity and preserved them for the future. He had access to things that the source material is no longer availible. Occasionally something archaologically relevent lost is retrieved, it confirms the accuracy of his records.

He's known in China as the 'Great Historian'.

His personal life however was one of unspeakable tragedy. He'd dared to speak up on behalf of someone was was not even his friend, who had earned the wrath of the Emperor, thus the wrath of the Emperor was turned on him as well. He was imprisioned, humiliated, castrated, ridiculed, and invited to and expected to commit suicide. His work though, his magnus opus, was not yet complete. So instead he endured all the scorn and contempt heaped on him in order to complete the very important task that so consumed his life.

History is writen by historians, his successors, he knew his reputation at least in the future if not the present would be restored. He endured all that pain and suffering in order to earn a blue jersey which is now formally presented to him.

Sima Qian - Writer (Non Fiction)

This is the 3/4 mark. I can feel things winding down as categories fill and we enter the homestretch.

Both sites updated to 109.2

Bear is up.

Who do you think you are...a brain surgeon?

If you were this guy, you could say "Actually, I am the father of modern neurosurgery. You?"

His greatest accomplishment may be helping to pulling Cleveland out of the loser hole. He was born in Cleveland.

From wiki:

• He considerably improved the survival of patients after difficult brain operations for intracranial tumors.
  • He used x-rays to diagnose brain tumors.
  • He used electrical stimuli for study of the human sensory cortex.
  • He played a pivotal role in development of the Bovie electrocautery tool with William T. Bovie, a physicist.
  • He was the world's leading teacher of neurosurgeons in the first decades of the 20th century.

Harvey Cushing - Doctor

Another from Vudu's cheat sheet, 4th of 6 names...

Philospher: Mozi

Mozi (Chinese: 墨子; pinyin: Mòzǐ; WadeGiles: Mo Tzu, Lat. as Micius, ca. 470 BC ca. 391 BC), original name Mo Di (墨翟), was a Chinese philosopher during the Hundred Schools of Thought period (early Warring States period).

Born in Tengzhou, Shandong Province, China, he founded the school of Mohism that argued strongly against Confucianism andDaoism. His philosophy emphasized self-restraint, self-reflection and authenticity rather than obedience to ritual. During the Warring States period, Mohism was actively developed and practiced in many states but fell out of favour when the legalist Qin Dynasty came to power. During that period, many Mohist classics were ruined when emperor Qin Shi Huang carried out the burning of books and burying of scholars. The importance of Mohism further declined when Confucianism became the dominant school of thought during the Han Dynasty, until mostly disappearing by the middle of the Western Han Dynasty.[1]

Mozi is known by children throughout Chinese culture by way of the Thousand Character Classic, which records that he was saddened when he saw dyeing of pure white silk, which embodied his conception of austerity (simplicity, chastity). For the modern juvenile audience of Chinese speakers the image of his school and its founder was popularized by the animated TV series The Legend of Qin.

----

I have two more names for Vudu and one from Bear on my inbox, right now it's 90sbaby's turn, then, ideally, we can go straight to TBBOM if all names fall in place.

John McAfee - engineer - John McAfee is an information security pioneer who founded the global computer security software company McAfee. A highly influential figure in the field of computer security, he is a world renowned expert on internet surveillance, global hacking scandals and threats, and personal privacy online. Born to an English woman and an American soldier in the 1940s, McAfee endured a difficult childhood. His father was an abusive alcoholic who committed suicide when John was 15 years old. In spite of his troubled childhood he proved to be a good student. However, he too became addicted to alcohol and drugs, and was prone to wild, eccentric behavior. He was working on his PhD when he got thrown out of the college for having a sexual relationship with a student he mentored. He later found a job as a programmer at NASA's Institute for Space Studies in New York City. A brilliant man, he easily found jobs at reputed organizations despite his bizarre behavior and addictions. After a series of jobs he put his entrepreneurial skills to good use and founded McAfee Associates, a computer anti-virus company which he later sold. His other business ventures include Tribal Voice and QuorumEx. In September 2015, he announced that he will run for the 2016 U.S. presidential election as a member of the newly-formed Cyber Party.

Charles Wright Mills - social scientist - was an American sociologist, and a professor of sociology at Columbia University from 1946 until his death in 1962. Mills was published widely in popular and intellectual journals, and is remembered for several books, among them The Power Elite, which introduced that term and describes the relationships and class alliances among the U.S. political, military, and economic elites; White Collar, on the American middle class; and The Sociological Imagination, where Mills proposes the proper relationship in sociological scholarship between biography and history.

Mills was concerned with the responsibilities of intellectuals in post-World War II society, and advocated public and political engagement over uninterested observation. Mills' biographer, Daniel Geary, writes that Mills' writings had a "particularly significant impact on New Left social movements of the 1960s."[2] It was Mills who popularized the term "New Left" in the U.S. in a 1960 open letter, Letter to the New Left.

From Vudu

------

Social Scientist : Hannah Arendt

Johanna "Hannah" Arendt[3] (/ˈɛərənt/ or /ˈɑrənt/; German: [ˈaːʀənt];[4] 14 October 1906 4 December 1975) was a German-bornAmerican political theorist. Though often described as a philosopher, she rejected that label on the grounds that philosophy is concerned with "man in the singular" and instead described herself as a political theorist because her work centers on the fact that "men, not Man, live on the earth and inhabit the world."[5] An assimilated Jew, she escaped Europe during the Holocaust and became an American citizen. Her works deal with the nature of power, and the subjects of politics, direct democracy, authority, andtotalitarianism. The Hannah Arendt Prize is named in her honor.

In what is arguably her most influential work, The Human Condition (1958), Arendt distinguishes between the concepts "political" and "social", and "labor" and "work", and between various forms of action, and then explores the implications of those distinctions. Her theory of political action, corresponding to the existence of a public realm, is extensively developed in this work. Arendt argues that, while human life always evolves within societies, the social-being part of human nature, political life, has been intentionally constructed by only a few of these societies as a space for individuals to achieve freedom through the construction of a common world. These conceptual categories, which attempt to bridge the gap between ontological and sociological structures, are sharply delineated. While Arendt relegates labor and work to the realm of the "social", she favors the human condition of action as the "political" that is both existential and aesthetic.[18]

From Bear

--------

In Michael Guillen's book "Five Equations That Changed The World", he chronicles the work of Issac Newton, Daniel Beroulli, Michael Faraday, and Einstein, all of which have been picked in the GHD.

The Physicist that is recognized in the book that is not already a pick in our little game goes to Team Green.

Rudolf Clausius - Scientist (Physics)

From Britannica:

Rudolf Clausius, in full Rudolf Julius Emanuel Clausius (born January 2, 1822, Köslin, Prussia [Poland]died August 24, 1888, Bonn, Germany), German mathematical physicist who formulated the second law of thermodynamics and is credited with making thermodynamics a science.

------

To TBBOM

Hannah Arendt - thinker

Johanna "Hannah" Arendt[3] (/ˈɛərənt/ or /ˈɑrənt/; German: [ˈaːʀənt];[4] 14 October 1906 – 4 December 1975) was a German-born American political theorist. Though often described as a philosopher, she rejected that label on the grounds that philosophy is concerned with "man in the singular" and instead described herself as a political theorist because her work centers on the fact that "men, not Man, live on the earth and inhabit the world."[5] An assimilated Jew, she escaped Europe during the Holocaust and became an American citizen. Her works deal with the nature of power, and the subjects of politics, direct democracy, authority, and totalitarianism. The Hannah Arendt Prize is named in her honor.

The number 1729 is known as the HardyRamanujan number after a famous anecdote of the British mathematician G. H. Hardy regarding a visit to the hospital to see Ramanujan. In Hardy's words:[91]

I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. 'No', he replied, 'it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.'

(The two different ways are

1729 = 13 + 123 = 93 + 103.)
------

Srinivasa Ramanujan - Mathematician

He gets a shoutout in the film Good Will Hunting since it is basically his story except replace the handsome and sturdy Matt Damon from South Boston was cast rather than a frail, sickly Indian from the subcontinent.

Srinivasa Ramanujan Iyengar (22 December 1887 - 26 April 1920) was an Indian mathematician and autodidact who, with almost no formal training in pure mathematics, made extraordinary contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions. Ramanujan initially developed his own mathematical research in isolation; it was quickly recognized by Indian mathematicians. When his skills became apparent to the wider mathematical community, centred in Europe at the time, he began a famous partnership with the English mathematician G. H. Hardy. He rediscovered previously known theorems in addition to producing new theorems.

During his short life, Ramanujan independently compiled nearly 3,900 results (mostly identities and equations).[1] Nearly all his claims have now been proven correct, although some were already known.[2] He stated results that were both original and highly unconventional, such as the Ramanujan prime and the Ramanujan theta function, and these have inspired a vast amount of further research.[3] The Ramanujan Journal, an international publication, was launched to publish work in all areas of mathematics influenced by his work.[4]

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee

Killed a bear when he was only three

The King of the Wild Frontier was a full partipant in one of history's most unique and compelling time periods. Not only a legendary hunter and frontiersman, a Tennessee Volunteer before that was a football team's name, and also a congressman.

"You all can go to hell, I'm going to Texas."

Davy Crockett was already a legendary figure in his own times and has an exclamation point for a bow on his life story dying at the Alamo with -allegedly- sixteen Mexican soldiers dead around him.

Also as of the best orators and storytellers of the era, his stories and delivery are legendary as well. A natural fit for Talk Show Guest.

Davy Crockett - Talk Show Guest

Oh, I didn't catch this at first... I'm in here updating and saw it now...

Vudu swiped Hannah Arendt just a few picks before TBBOM took her. So it's not Bear's turn like I thought, it's still TBBOM's.

Don't drink the cool aid. That would have been great advise for 918 people who drank cyanide laced punch.

They gave it to their children first, as they were told. They followed the rules. No sex outside of marriage for anyone but our leader. No homosexuality except by our leader. He uses it to humiliate gays, and he is the leader.

Jonestown, 1978.

Jim Jones - Evil Mofo

Scientist - Physics John Stewart Bell

In 1964, after a year's leave from CERN that he spent at Stanford University, the University of WisconsinMadison and Brandeis University, he wrote a paper entitled "On the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox".[9] In this work, he showed that carrying forward EPR's analysis[10] permits one to derive the famous Bell's theorem.[11][12] The resultant inequality, derived from certain assumptions, is violated by quantum theory.

There is some disagreement regarding what Bell's inequalityin conjunction with the EPR analysiscan be said to imply. Bell held that not only local hidden variables, but any and all local theoretical explanations must conflict with the predictions of quantum theory: "It is known that with Bohm's example of EPR correlations, involving particles with spin, there is an irreducible nonlocality."[13] According to an alternative interpretation, not all local theories in general, but only local hidden variables theories (or "local realist" theories) have shown to be incompatible with the predictions of quantum theory.

-----

This is the sixth and final name on Vudu's cheat sheet and with it, my inbox is empty of picks. To 90sbaby.

That's enough. Vudu then Bear. 90svaby can make up picks later.

Lao Tzu - philosopher - who existed in the 6th century B.C, was the founder of the Chinese philosophical ‘School of the Tao’ or ‘Taoism’. He was known to be a contemporary of the great and the most revered Chinese teacher and philosopher ‘Confucius’, but some legends believe that they both were same person, whereas according to some he existed before Confucius. The origin and life of Laozi is extremely ambiguous and even after centuries of research very little is known about his life. Nevertheless, his teachings have been handed down through centuries and today his followers are manifold. Laozi’s philosophy was particularly known have been prominent during the Han Dynasty, though the philosopher lived in the Zhou Dynasty, the longest surviving dynasty in primeval China. It was in the Han Dynasty that Taoism was strongly established and was religiously followed. However, none of the original texts about Taoism have any reference about Laozi’s life. Due to less information, several speculations, confusions and also conflicts about the life and death of Laozi, have arisen in the past few decades. Many researchers are of the view that ‘Tao te ching’ the religious and philosophical book written by Laozi, was in fact not written by him alone. Some others are even of the opinion that the philosopher never existed and Laozi can be referred to any old wise man of the ancient China who preached philosophy.

Heinrich Hertz - thinkers - Heinrich Hertz was a German scientist and physicist who became the first scientist to prove that electromagnetic waves did indeed have an existence and in so doing he proved what had only been a theory first put forwards by the Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell. His theories went on to be developed into what later came to be known as radio waves, however, it is also important to point out that another huge conclusion from his research on electromagnetic waves was that he was also able to prove that both light and heat are different forms of electromagnetic radiations. Other than being a gifted exponent of the sciences from an early age, Hertz was also a linguist who excelled in learning new languages and it is not a surprise that he was trained in languages like Sanskrit and Arabic which were rarely learnt by students at the time. Last but not the least, Hertz might have had a relatively short career compared to other scientists of the era but there is absolutely no denying the fact that he achieved a lot in his short career that many others would have been proud of and needless to say he has left behind a rich body of work that would be studied in universities for years.

Lao Tzu is long gone. To TBBOM I think.

51.2 it may be the different spelling that threw you off. Chinese names look the same if you're not familiar with them.

Diogenes Of Sinope - philosopher - Diogenes was a commendable Greek philosopher and one of the founders of the Cynic philosophy from Sinope. He is also remembered as “Diogenes of Sinope” or simply Diogenes. He was the only person to be the pupil of Antisthenes. Being an alleged student of Antisthenes, he maintained his teacher’s asceticism and emphasis on ethics but carried out these philosophical positions with dynamism and sense of humor unique in the history of philosophy. He was among the very few men to openly mock “Alexander the Great” and live. At one time, he cleverly ashamed Plato and looked upon Antisthenes as the true beneficiary of Socrates. Diogenes illustrated his philosophy of Cynicism to Crates who taught it to Zeno of Citium who further forwarded it into the school of Stoicism which was amongst the most enduring Greek philosophy schools. All his life, he was surrounded by controversies. Diogenes was thrown out of his native place for damaging the currency. He then moved to Athens and struggled for livelihood. However, despite being poor and not well-off, Diogenes was much talked about, thanks to his proactive behavior and philosophical stunts. He was usually involved in an argument with Plato. After being hooked by the pirates and sold into slavery, he, by the course of time, settled in Corinth. Diogenes was also a loyal admirer of Hercules. The entire life of Diogenes was an adamant campaign to debunk social values and institutions of what he examined as a society full of corruption. The belief of Diogenes was that the virtue was excellently exposed in action than in theory. All his writings were destroyed by time, but the details of his life is taken from the forms of anecdotes, specifically from Diogenes Laërtius’s book “Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers.”

OK Bear can go.

When the manufacture of the custom unmanned machines is completed to clean the top 27 building teirs, it will take a team of 36 window washers 3 or 4 months to do the rest of the glass. There is a swimming pool on the 76th floor. The highest nigh club in the world is on the 144th floor. It is the Burj Khalifa building in Dubai, and it is the tallest man-made structure in the world.

Naturally like all things made by man; they get upstaged by something greater, or in this case taller. In fact that structure is already under construction to be completed in 2020. The one thing that won't get upstaged is the architect.

If you are ever lucky enough to visit the top floors of either of these structures, try to forget that they were designed by a college drop-out from Texas A&M. He does have an honorary degree from A&M now, if it makes you feel any better.Also, he graduated from The University of Illinois, Chicago after escaping Aggie land.

Here is a listing from wiki of his completed projects:

AT&T Corporate Center in Chicago

Jin Mao Tower in Shanghai

Building Year City Country Firm

Waldorf Astoria Beijing 2014 Beijing China AS+GG

FKI Tower 2013 Seoul Korea AS+GG

Chicago Central Area Decarbonization Plan 2011 Chicago USA AS+GG

Pearl River Tower 2011 Guangzhou China SOM

Burj Khalifa 2010 Dubai United Arab Emirates SOM

Zifeng Tower 2010 Nanjing China SOM

Trump International Hotel and Tower (Chicago) 2009 Chicago USA SOM

Broadgate Tower 2009 London United Kingdom SOM

Chemsunny Plaza 2008 Beijing China SOM

Jubilee Park Pavilion 2004 London United Kingdom SOM

Tower Palace III 2004 Seoul Korea SOM

Canary Wharf, International banking headquarters buildings: HQ1, DS1, DS3, DS4; FC2 1991–2004 London United Kingdom SOM

601 Congress Street, Manulife Financial 2003 Boston USA SOM

General Motors Renaissance Center 2003 Detroit USA SOM

Millennium Park and Millennium Park Master Plan 2002 Chicago USA SOM

BankBoston Headquarters 2000 Sao Paulo Brazil SOM

Washington University Arts and Sciences Building 2000 St. Louis USA SOM

Jin Mao Tower 1998 Shanghai China SOM

Washington University Psychology Building 1996 St. Louis USA SOM

Aramco Headquarters Office Building 1993 Dhahran Saudi Arabia SOM

10 Ludgate Place 1992 London United Kingdom SOM

USG Building (currently AT&T Corporate Center) 1991 Chicago USA SOM

NBC Tower 1989 Chicago USA SOM

Rowes Wharf 1988 Boston USA SOM

Olympia Centre 1986 Chicago USA SOM

United Gulf Bank Building 1986 Manama Bahrain SOM

Banco de Occidente 1980 Guatemala City Guatemala SOM

Adrian Smith - Engineer

Herbert Manfred Marx - Aka Zeppo Marx JOAT

The youngest member of the famous Marx brothers comedy troupe, after his film career, he went on the become an inventor and engineer.

Zeppo founded Marman Products in 1941, which made clamping devices that were used in WWII to secure the atomic bombs transported on the Enola Gay. He also held three patents, two of which pertained to his invention of a watch that monitored the pulse of heart patients. It was this business that helped make Zeppo a multimillionaire.

Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum AKA Ayn Rand - Thinker

Ayn Rand (/ˈaɪn ˈrænd/;[1] born Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum, Russian: Али́са Зино́вьевна Розенба́ум; February 2 [O.S. January 20] 1905 – March 6, 1982) was a Russian-born American novelist, philosopher,[2] playwright, and screenwriter. She is known for her two best-selling novels, The Fountainhead (1943) and Atlas Shrugged (1957), and for developing a philosophical system she called Objectivism. Born and educated in Russia, Rand moved to the United States in 1926. She had a play produced on Broadway in 1935–1936. After two early novels that were initially unsuccessful in America, she achieved fame with her 1943 novel, The Fountainhead.

In 1957, she published her best-known work, the novel Atlas Shrugged. Afterward, she turned to non-fiction to promote her philosophy, publishing her own magazines and releasing several collections of essays until her death in 1982. Rand advocated reason as the only means of acquiring knowledge and rejected faith and religion. She supported rational and ethical egoism, and rejected altruism. In politics, she condemned the initiation of force as immoral[3] and opposed collectivism and statism as well as anarchism, instead supporting laissez-faire capitalism, which she defined as the system based on recognizing individual rights.[4] In art, Rand promoted romantic realism. She was sharply critical of most philosophers and philosophical traditions known to her, except for Aristotle and some Aristotelians and classical liberals.[5]

My younger brother is a clown. It's tragic somebody as flaccid and worthless as him can become emperor. Now he trying to hook me up to marry one of the few senators even more milquetoast than he is. Ha! Screw that. You know I've already banged half the senate and most of the generals anyways. This is really pathetic, I don;t want that dweeb touching me, let alone marrying me. But only one thing I can think to do, only one person can possibly get me out of this craptastic arraigned marriage.

And a real manly man at that.

----

So the sh!t would soon really hit he fan in Rome because Justa Grata Honoria - Dumb Focking Moron sent her engagement ring to Attila the Hun.

Though Honoria may not have intended a proposal of marriage, Bury points out Attila chose to interpret her message as such.[13] He accepted, asking for half of the western Empire as dowry. When Valentinian discovered the plan, again only the influence of his mother Galla Placidia convinced him to exile, rather than kill, Honoria. He also wrote to Attila strenuously denying the legitimacy of the supposed marriage proposal.[14]

For years Attila had been planning to invade Rome and Honoria's letter gave him the excuse to make his move. Attila sent an emissary to Ravenna in 451 to proclaim that Honoria was innocent, that the proposal had been legitimate, and that he would come to claim what was rightfully his. Attila made a similar demand in 452, but it was not until more years passed that he made the promised invasion into Gaul, which ended in the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains.

Nothing of her life after her intrigue with Attila is recorded. One assumes that she was married to Herculanus, but in concluding his account of this incident John of Antioch writes, "And so Honoria was freed from her danger at this time."[11] Pointing at the last three words of this sentence, Bury asks, "Does this imply that she incurred some punishment afterwards, worse even than a dull marriage?"[15] Lastly, because her name does not appear in the list of important persons carried off to Carthage by the Vandals following their sack of the city, the capture of her sister in law and her nieces and the murder of her brother in 455, Oost suggests she was dead by then; whether she died of natural causes or by order of her brother the Emperor, Oost admits "we do not have evidence adequate" to decide.[16]

Attila returned in 452 to renew his marriage claim with Honoria, invading and ravaging Italy along the way. The city of Venice was founded as a result of these attacks when the residents fled to small islands in the Venetian Lagoon. His army sacked numerous cities and razed Aquileia so completely that it was afterwards hard to recognize its original site.[52] Aëtius lacked the strength to offer battle, but managed to harass and slow Attila's advance with only a shadow force. Attila finally halted at the River Po. By this point, disease and starvation may have taken hold in Attila's camp, thus helping to stop his invasion.[citation needed]

Emperor Valentinian III sent three envoys, the high civilian officers Gennadius Avienus and Trigetius, as well as the Bishop of Rome Leo I, who met Attila at Mincio in the vicinity of Mantua and obtained from him the promise that he would withdraw from Italy and negotiate peace with the Emperor.[53]Prosper of Aquitaine gives a short description of the historic meeting, but gives all the credit to Leo for the successful negotiation. Priscus reports that superstitious fear of the fate of Alaric gave him pause - as Alaric died shortly after sacking Rome in 410.

In reality, Italy had suffered from a terrible famine in 451 and her crops were faring little better in 452; Attila's devastating invasion of the plains of northern Italy this year did not improve the harvest.[54] To advance on Rome would have required supplies which were not available in Italy, and taking the city would not have improved Attila's supply situation. Therefore, it was more profitable for Attila to conclude peace and retreat back to his homeland.[55]

Furthermore, an East Roman force had crossed the Danube under the command of another officer also named Aetius—who had participated in the Council of Chalcedon the previous year—and proceeded to defeat the Huns who had been left behind by Attila to safeguard their home territories. Attila, hence, faced heavy human and natural pressures to retire "from Italy without ever setting foot south of the Po".[56] As Hydatius writes in his Chronica Minora:

"The Huns, who had been plundering Italy and who had also stormed a number of cities, were victims of divine punishment, being visited with heaven-sent disasters: famine and some kind of disaster. In addition, they were slaughtered by auxiliaries sent by the Emperor Marcian and led by Aetius, at the same time, they were crushed in their [home] settlements ... Thus crushed, they made peace with the Romans and all retired to their homes."

David Hilbert - Mathematician

David Hilbert (German: [ˈdaːvɪt ˈhɪlbɐt]; 23 January 1862 – 14 February 1943) was a German mathematician. He is recognized as one of the most influential and universal mathematicians of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Hilbert discovered and developed a broad range of fundamental ideas in many areas, including invariant theory and the axiomatization of geometry. He also formulated the theory of Hilbert spaces,[3] one of the foundations of functional analysis.

Hilbert adopted and warmly defended Georg Cantor's set theory and transfinite numbers. A famous example of his leadership in mathematics is his 1900 presentation of a collection of problems that set the course for much of the mathematical research of the 20th century.

Hilbert and his students contributed significantly to establishing rigor and developed important tools used in modern mathematical physics. Hilbert is known as one of the founders of proof theory and mathematical logic, as well as for being among the first to distinguish between mathematics and metamathematics.[4]

TBBOM has two in so it goes to Bear. Vudu has a pick in the kicker right now, Lee Harvey Oswald, so after Bear, assuming he leaves Oswald alone, it goes to 90sbaby.

Kia Silverbrook - Jack of All Trades

From Wiki:

Kia Silverbrook (born 1958) is an Australian inventor, scientist, and serial entrepreneur. He is the most prolific inventor in the world,[1] and has been granted 4,665[2] US utility patents as of 26 March 2014. Internationally, he has 9,874[3] patents or patent applications registered at the international patent document database (INPADOC).[a] Silverbrook has founded companies and developed products in a wide range of disciplines, including computer graphics, video and audio production, scientific computing, factory automation, digital printing, liquid crystal displays (LCDs), molecular electronics, internet software, content management, genetic analysis, MEMS devices, security inks, photovoltaic solar cells, and interactive paper.[4]

Silverbrook has made numerous inventions in the fields of digital music synthesis, digital video, digital printing, digital paper, internet commerce, computer graphics, liquid crystal displays, robotics, 3D printing, organic chemistry, DNA analysis, lab-on-a-chip, solar photovoltaics, software, image processing, microelectromechanical systems, mechanical engineering, cryptography, sensors, nanotechnology, microfluidics, polymers, fault tolerance, parallel processing, semiconductor fabrication, and integrated circuit (chip) architecture.[2][3][5]

Vudu's Lee Harvey Oswald goes through. To 90sbaby.