Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Round 5 & 6 Commentary - July PPR Mock **

You know Iowa Fan (I was born and raised in Minnesota!), as my RB2 I am very pleased to have gotten him in the 6th round. Should fit nicely with ADP. Didn't plan on taking 2 Miami players at the turn, just ended up that way!

I see. A Gopher fan, huh?

Walker is basically tied for my #2 TE with Olsen. heavy target totals for Walker actually give him the edge with Kelvin coming back this year. Nice grab. Walker's ADP is off.

Thanks RC. I'm not expecting a repeat of last year per se, but even a 20 percent drop in receptions and targets would still leave him in the same class catch-wise with most of the top-tier TEs in those categories.

Walkers is a steal I'd love to have but I think with the addition of 2 big time RBs, R. Matthews, Wright getting healthy, another year of DGB....there's a very real chance of target regression here.

I'm anticipating a drop-off to some degree, but the same target regression case could probably be made for every top-tier TE after Gronk. Benjamin coming back and Funchess improving for Olsen, Doctson coming on board for Reed, etc. Walker missed a game and still almost finished with 100 receptions. Walker was clearly the top option in the red zone and inside the 10 and he did what he did touchdown-wise on an offense that wasn't very good. Another thing I look for in WRs/TEs is a sort of mind-meld with their QBs, which I think he has with Mariota.

I suppose he could always return to the same 60-catch territory he lived in over his first two years as a Titan, but I think his catch floor is probably somewhere in the low-to-mid 70s; I can live with that.

• Like 1

So far my strategy has been going the way I wanted as I've got my stub WRs and some RBs that I think can put up some good numbers in a PPR format. I really wanted Gio, Ajayi or Mathews to fall to me and I feel lucky that I was able to get Mathews.

It gets real tough for me to sort these RBs at this point but Hill was a draft darling last year before falling flat.

As we've seen with guys like Doug Martin recently, sometimes 1 down year doesn't equal another.

It gets real tough for me to sort these RBs at this point but Hill was a draft darling last year before falling flat.

As we've seen with guys like Doug Martin recently, sometimes 1 down year doesn't equal another.

Don't forget the fact that you don't need these middle round guys to score consistently every week. The great thing about best ball is you just need guys that you know will put up big numbers occasionally. As long as one of those RBs has a decent game each week you'll be just fine.

Here's where I'm not drafting a best ball team. I'm drafting a fantasy team that I can hopefully manage to the playoffs. The no hassle components or in this case "best ball" is not the true reason for the draft, and skews results if that is what you are attempting to do.

Here's where I'm not drafting a best ball team. I'm drafting a fantasy team that I can hopefully manage to the playoffs. The no hassle components or in this case "best ball" is not the true reason for the draft, and skews results if that is what you are attempting to do.

That makes sense and I never really though about it that way. I honestly have not been drafting for a best ball league. I would have drafted the same players regardless for a PPR league.

That makes sense and I never really though about it that way. I honestly have not been drafting for a best ball league. I would have drafted the same players regardless for a PPR league.

.....and I wasn't insinuating that. I just was stating that this draft is for those who follow the board to get their best idea of how things might fall.

.....and I wasn't insinuating that. I just was stating that this draft is for those who follow the board to get their best idea of how things might fall.

These last two rounds I'm starting to see things stray from my draft board quite a bit. Especially with TEs.

I hope no one is drafting BB format. I wouldn't have taken Hurns if I was.

Yeah. Keep drafting the way we are with guys you are more comfortable with actually putting in your weekly lineups, then the boom bust types.

Allen Hurns has shown he has the ability to take advantage of weaker coverage with Allen Robinson being the main guy. I also have the bonus that if Robinson gets hurt Hurns could become a target monster. I still don't see a strong run game in Jax so I expect them to still rely on Bortles arm. Being my WR3 will pay off big time if he can come close to last year's numbers. He gives me a very solid receiving core after I spent a first and third rounder on running backs and a 5th on a qb.

Clearly needed a WR here and as I watched Crabtree fall down the board I allowed myself a glimmer of excitement. Which was ruthlessly snuffed out by Remote. Had to go with choice B, which I did not like nearly as much, but should provide me solid WR #3 numbers. He's usually third in the pecking order, but Brown has out played the two guys in front of him on occasion. I expect about 60 receptions and 900+ yards, which is acceptable from my third WR.

Brown was my second choice and even considered him since I had the old vet Fitz already in the stable.........but then I remembered the year that Crabs had with the rookie and feel he, Cooper and the young QB might have a very good season this year. I have Crabs penciled in for 80+ receptions, for 900+ yards and 8+ Td's.

Brown was my second choice and even considered him since I had the old vet Fitz already in the stable.........but then I remembered the year that Crabs had with the rookie and feel he, Cooper and the young QB might have a very good season this year. I have Crabs penciled in for 80+ receptions, for 900+ yards and 8+ Td's.

Brown was my second choice behind Sanders, and it was a close call.

Brown was my second choice behind Sanders, and it was a close call.

I think his ceiling is capped a bit with two other receivers who will get their share of targets. Plus last year was a bit of an outlier with Palmer. Part of the reason I didn't have Fitz on any team was because of Palmer. I think last year may have been as good as it gets for that receiving core as a whole.