Sign in to follow this  
edjr

you best not run with Tim Tebow roaming right field

Why not? Looked like a weak ass throw from shallow left. And you know that focker can't be quick or accurate throwing the long ball.

Having just spent the summer watching my 16 year old son play against and showcase with some really good HS baseball players, i can assure you there is nothing special about that throw. Tebow apparently ran a 6.7 - 6.8 60 yard dash, which is above average, especially for a guy his size. But what i read was that his fielding was not good, and although he did hit a 420 foot HR in BP, he looked mediocre against live fastballs, and atrocious against live breaking pitches.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/watch-heres-how-tim-tebows-baseball-skills-showcase-for-mlb-teams-went/

The throw was very good. Not great, but close enough. ML teams will work on throwing motion and foot position. If anyone who is a known athlete hits a 420 foot shot, it will raise eyebrows. Just like anyone who hits 95 on the gun.

Well, probably good enough to get Sid Bream.

Oof!

• Like 1

The throw was very good. Not great, but close enough. ML teams will work on throwing motion and foot position. If anyone who is a known athlete hits a 420 foot shot, it will raise eyebrows. Just like anyone who hits 95 on the gun.

It was accurate, but not anything special otherwise. Im not saying it was terrible, just not anything special. Lets call it an average throw.

BP home runs are nothing special. My 16 year old son hit about 30 of them during last HS season as a sophomore. Ive been told several of them reached the tree line beyond our CF wall, which would make them at least 380-390 feet. He hit so many he stopped being excited about them. i would say something like 'hey...you hit any bombs today at practice' and he would shrug his shoulders and say 'Just three'. He also hit a 400-ish foot HR in a HS game last year, and a 400 plus foot HR in a game this summer with a wood bat. In a game, not practice. He wont be getting a sniff from the pros, and neither should Tebow.

Tebow was apparently a very good HS baseball player, but that was 12 years ago. There are tons of really good baseball players who dont even play college. Two of my sons teammates last year were all conference selections as seniors and are going to college this year but not playing baseball. Tebow is 29, around the age that MLB players are in their late prime. He is just now starting to hone his skills, something most players are doing in their late teens or early 20's. Tebow is an incredible athlete, but so is every other person who plays pro baseball. Every single one. Some team will sign him, but it will be as a publicity stunt.

I dont hate Tebow, i just feel sorry for him. He probably could have made a really nice career for himself as a tight end. I think with his skillset he could have been the second coming of The Gronk. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. But picking up baseball as a position player (i will leave a tiny window open for a Jim Morris type pitcher who gets hurt, heals up and rediscovers his 95 mph fastball) after a 12 year layoff and playing with the very best players in the world just isnt possible. Its just not ever going to happen.

Tebow is an incredible athlete, but so is every other person who plays pro baseball. Every single one.

I dont hate Tebow, i just feel sorry for him. He probably could have made a really nice career for himself as a tight end. I think with his skillset he could have been the second coming of The Gronk.

Not even close. There are a lot of unathletic dudes in baseball, and always have been.

Tebow is too short to play TE.

BP home runs are nothing special. My 16 year old son hit about 30 of them during last HS season as a sophomore.

There are tons of really good baseball players who dont even play college.

they use wooden bats in high school?

Like rusney castillo?

Tebow is too short to play TE.

Jordan Reed
Height: 6′ 2″

Tim Tebow
Height: 6′ 3″
:wacko:

ML teams will work on throwing motion and foot position.

NFL teams have tried this and failed.

NFL teams have tried this and failed.

Was a damn good thing Johnny Damon and Jacoby Ellsbury could throw. They'd have never made it in MLB.

The Red Sox won 2 world series, with 2 centerfielders that couldn't reach 2nd base in the air with a throw.

Damn's arm was so piss poor, Manny had to cut off his throws

In todays MLB, Tebow has a rocket.

Jordan Reed
Height: 6′ 2″

Tim Tebow
Height: 6′ 3″
:wacko:

Gronkowski 6'6

Bennett 6'6

Witten 6'5

Fleener 6'6

Olsen 6'5

Kielce 6'5

Gates 6'4

Graham 6'7

Gonzalez 6'5

etc

etc

Gronkowski 6'6

Bennett 6'6

Witten 6'5

Fleener 6'6

Olsen 6'5

Kielce 6'5

Gates 6'4

Graham 6'7

Gonzalez 6'5

etc

etc

who was the 2nd best TE in the league last year?

Not even close. There are a lot of unathletic dudes in baseball, and always have been.

I guess its how you define athletic. You dont make it to pro baseball as a position player without having off the charts hand eye coordination and reactions. People without those things cant hit a 95 mph fastball, nevermind a breaking pitch. I know alot of people's definition of athletic requires foot speed, and i will readily admit some slow guys make it. But being slow does not necessarily make a person unathletic. Even a guy like David Ortiz is more athletic than 99.9 percent of the people on the planet.

Was a damn good thing Johnny Damon and Jacoby Ellsbury could throw. They'd have never made it in MLB.

The Red Sox won 2 world series, with 2 centerfielders that couldn't reach 2nd base in the air with a throw.

Damn's arm was so piss poor, Manny had to cut off his throws

In todays MLB, Tebow has a rocket.

Damon and Ellsbury could hit. Tebow plays OF like a DH and hits like relief pitcher.

Even a guy like David Ortiz is more athletic than 99.9 percent of the people on the planet.

:nono:

Ellsbury could hit.

for 1 season.

the Yankees are a joke for signing him.

for 1 season.

Thats more than Tebow will do.

the Yankees are a joke for signing him.

Agreed. So glad that albatross is around their necks and not the Sox

I guess its how you define athletic. You dont make it to pro baseball as a position player without having off the charts hand eye coordination and reactions. People without those things cant hit a 95 mph fastball, nevermind a breaking pitch. I know alot of people's definition of athletic requires foot speed, and i will readily admit some slow guys make it. But being slow does not necessarily make a person unathletic. Even a guy like David Ortiz is more athletic than 99.9 percent of the people on the planet.

Guys like Ortiz, Sabathia, Colon, David Wells, Babe Ruth, Prince Fielder, etc etc are not athletic, and would probably be the first to say they weren't. Hell, even Tom Brady says he's not an athlete. Hand eye coordination and being able to throw a ball artfully doesn't require athletic ability. If you want to make a categorical statement about athleticism in sport, then it's soccer and not close.

It was accurate, but not anything special otherwise. Im not saying it was terrible, just not anything special. Lets call it an average throw.

BP home runs are nothing special. My 16 year old son hit about 30 of them during last HS season as a sophomore. Ive been told several of them reached the tree line beyond our CF wall, which would make them at least 380-390 feet. He hit so many he stopped being excited about them. i would say something like 'hey...you hit any bombs today at practice' and he would shrug his shoulders and say 'Just three'. He also hit a 400-ish foot HR in a HS game last year, and a 400 plus foot HR in a game this summer with a wood bat. In a game, not practice. He wont be getting a sniff from the pros, and neither should Tebow.

I have hit 400'+ HRs, but I am not a 6'3" professional athlete workout fiend. They are looking at him in the Bo Jackson mold, of having a great foundation. Bo just got better and better at baseball. Will Tebow? Unlikely. He's older and never played in college. However, the bar for RFers in MLB isn't very high. Could Tebow hit .240 with 15 HRs? If so, that puts him in the top half.

Greg Olsen?

1. 36. Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE 255.60
2. 39. Reed, Jordan WAS TE 246.20
3. 42. Walker, Delanie TEN TE 244.40
4. 44. Barnidge, Gary CLE TE 237.30
5. 50. Olsen, Greg CAR TE 228.40
time for you to stop speaking out your ass

That was specially written just for you. :banana:

I know. :thumbsup:

WR1.

:first:

Guys like Ortiz, Sabathia, Colon, David Wells, Babe Ruth, Prince Fielder, etc etc are not athletic, and would probably be the first to say they weren't. Hell, even Tom Brady says he's not an athlete. Hand eye coordination and being able to throw a ball artfully doesn't require athletic ability. If you want to make a categorical statement about athleticism in sport, then it's soccer and not close.

Well i wasnt talking about pitchers. everyone knows that those guys arent athletes. :music_guitarred: and i agree about soccer. those guys are pretty incredible.

I just have a broader definition of athleticism. To me hand eye coordination is an integral part of athleticism, or in the case of soccer foot eye coordination. Lots of fast guys who couldnt play a sport to save their lives. I think lots of people get caught up in speed. Usain Bolt is an athlete, but the olympic shotputter is not. billy hamilton is an athlete, but david ortiz is not. cam newton is an athlete tom brady is not. But Tom Brady was drafted in two sports. How can that guy not be an athlete?

i know i'll never win this argument, ive been having it for years on another site. so ok. ill shut up now.

time for you to stop speaking out your ass

You reallze how idiotic it is to argue who the second best in any category was, right? But I'll play along. Here's a list I found:

Gronkowski

Olsen

Walker

Barnidge

Reed

Kelce

What are the criteria?

Well i wasnt talking about pitchers. everyone knows that those guys arent athletes. :music_guitarred: and i agree about soccer. those guys are pretty incredible.

Pitchers are utter freaks of nature. Anyone should try to throw 60' BP to kids for 150 pitches. Now do it hitting 90+ on the gun, under control, against ML hitters, which they couldn't, even if they wanted to.

You reallze how idiotic it is to argue who the second best in any category was, right? But I'll play along. Here's a list I found:

Gronkowski

Olsen

Walker

Barnidge

Reed

Kelce

What are the criteria?

Is this a fantasy football site or a NFL scouting site?

I have hit 400'+ HRs, but I am not a 6'3" professional athlete workout fiend. They are looking at him in the Bo Jackson mold, of having a great foundation. Bo just got better and better at baseball. Will Tebow? Unlikely. He's older and never played in college. However, the bar for RFers in MLB isn't very high. Could Tebow hit .240 with 15 HRs? If so, that puts him in the top half.

bo jackson was a second round draft pick by the yankees as a senior in high school, played 4 years of baseball at auburn and then 'quit' football and played almost a full season of minor league ball before getting a callup to the majors. tim tebow was a good, but undrafted HS baseball player who stopped playing for 12 years. they arent remotely the same.

Is this a fantasy football site or a NFL scouting site?

Again, what are the criteria?

I will take Olsen over fragile Jordie any day. Barnidge? RGIII? :lol: Walker meh

Pitchers are utter freaks of nature. Anyone should try to throw 60' BP to kids for 150 pitches. Now do it hitting 90+ on the gun, under control, against ML hitters, which they couldn't, even if they wanted to.

If i can get 1 out of 6 or 8 pitches in the strike zone from 60 feet im ecstatic. My son says the guy who throws BP For them a lot is an ex SEC pitcher now in his mid 40's who my son claims hit the EXACT same spot 25-30 times in a row., and can still get it up over 90 occasionally.

Again, what are the criteria?

I will take Olsen over fragile Jordie any day. Barnidge? RGIII? :lol: Walker meh

RP, know when you're wrong and walk away

you do not have to be a 6'6 TE to be good in the NFL