Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Chargers announce the firing of Mike McCoy

per Gregg Rosenthal and others.

As Amy Trask pointed out earlier, "19 players on IR for Chargers this year, tremendous number of injuries last year, team plays hard every week, not convinced McCoy is issue."

I'm kinda surprised by that. Maybe shouldn't be

Perhaps Spanos has as much loyalty to his head coach as he does to his San Diego fanbase? Maybe McCoy is not new and shiny enough for LA. :dunno:

A large part of this must have been related to the Browns game, no? If I was an owner it would bother me, regardless of other factors.

per Gregg Rosenthal and others.

As Amy Trask pointed out earlier, "19 players on IR for Chargers this year, tremendous number of injuries last year, team plays hard every week, not convinced McCoy is issue."

Excuses excuses. Part of the problem is a bad offensive line protecting an overrated qb who hasn't had his team relevant in about 7 years. But the team should have had more success. The defense has some players on it. Maybe if their top corner didn't get hurt the games would have gone a little different.

The injuries are real and were clearly a notable factor down the stretch once they accumulated.

But this team was blowing a bunch of games early. Someone has to eat the blame for that. That's usually going to be coach and qb. But no one is releasing Rivers so McCoy gets the axe for his stigma as a ultra conservative/play not to lose type of coach.

If you can get big plays without taking big play risk, you're Andy Reid right now. If not and your team loses lots of close games, you're out of work. Like McCoy.

I understand there was a vested interest, and it's just business, but Charger players were jogging after Tyreek Hill yesterday. Hell, one player LOOKED like he was tanking on a whiff of a tackle at the 15 yard line, on Alex Smith's TD scramble late.

But I digress. Completely understandable after the way Oakland did them in that stadium.

Chargers have about 400 guys on IR and are rewriting the history books in terms of sustaining injuries, but McCoy is as vanilla as they come and would find ways to lose if he coached the Harlem Globetrotters. He found ways to lose something like NINE games this season by a score or less.

He's timid, unimaginative, and just not inspiring to the players. He saves it all for his broken record performance post game of his Keep Fighting speech.

Hell, when he claimed arrogantly that he would be head coaching somewhere next season, it was a too little too late demonstration that he owns a pair of testicles.

Telesco is no wonderkid either. He needs to stop finding fragile turnstiles instead of offensive linemen.

A large part of this must have been related to the Browns game, no? If I was an owner it would bother me, regardless of other factors.

I have to think this is a part of it. The Defense showed signs of being better, the offense did okay even with the injuries. The run game was much improved. I really think the problem is the team doesnt have the depth they need to sustain the injuries they did. Regardless.... it's a done deal. I'm sure they will burn through another coach (maybe two) before this team starts winning again.