Okay 90sguy, I signed up for Waves, but it seems they do not accept deposits from US banks or US citizens. Seems a little racist, but okay. <_< How are you funding? They do take Bitcoin, so what I think I would have to do is send some of my ETH from Coinbase to Poloniex, buy BTC with it, then send that to Waves.

What I don't understand is, Monkey is saying they will accept BTC, Waves, ETH, LTC and XRP for their ICO. But on the Waves platform (Lite Client for Chrome) I only see wallets for BTC and Waves, so how could one pay with ETH or LTC?

BTC and Waves are just found you fund the account. Buy BTC on Coinbase, open your Waves wallet click deposit under BTC and send to your BTC address or QR code from a Coinbase.

BTC and Waves are just found you fund the account. Buy BTC on Coinbase, open your Waves wallet click deposit under BTC and send to your BTC address or QR code from a Coinbase.

Okay, I didn't think I'd have time for that because Coinbase makes me wait so long, but it looks like I'll have access to it on Saturday the 15th.

seems extremely convoluted

• Like 1

ICO has been pushed back to August 8.

Was just coming here to post this.

I'm okay with it. :thumbsup: That was going to be a very quick turnaround for me, trying to get my BTC over there in time.

Ouch, it lookin' like ETH woanna go under $200. :o

Everything is taking a bath lately. Ouch. Wish I could buy some more right now. :(

AMD doing well

I would like to apologize in regards to Rite Aid even though it technically wasn't a recommendation as much as a shared idea for a possible double up investment where I clearly outlined the risk... I think right now if I had shares of Rite Aid I would possibly consider buying some more to lower my cost average and hope for either a dead cat bounce or some rumors of a potential Amazon buyout of Rite-Aid's remaining stores

AMD doing well

I would like to apologize in regards to Rite Aid even though it technically wasn't a recommendation as much as a shared idea for a possible double up investment where I clearly outlined the risk... I think right now if I had shares of Rite Aid I would possibly consider buying some more to lower my cost average and hope for either a dead cat bounce or some rumors of a potential Amazon buyout of Rite-Aid's remaining stores

I think you explained everything very well. You made it clear there were 2 probabilities. I didn't invest but if I had the extra $$, I might have. I think the cryptocurrency wave is the one to ride. Right now, everything is taking some huge hits. Not too worried, but a bit bummed.

I think you explained everything very well. You made it clear there were 2 probabilities. I didn't invest but if I had the extra $$, I might have. I think the cryptocurrency wave is the one to ride. Right now, everything is taking some huge hits. Not too worried, but a bit bummed.

Very much this. That was still a great find. No regrets. :bandana:

• Like 1

at least AMD is delivering. Looks like they announce earnings on July 25th. Makes me a little nervous after the fall the stock took after last earnings report but they seem to be grabbing market share like crazy.

Next investment:

Monkey Capital MNY

----

Also on a side note, I think ETH is due for a huge break out within the next 2-3 weeks and right now at $250 it is a great buy.

Did you buy more below $200?

Did you buy more below $200?

Yep. Bought some more I think this is the last time you'll see it below 200 after the next pop.

Also buying Litecoin now as it has easily become China's favorite coin and with the Chinese government now starting to support it its a good long term play.

Look up SegWit August 1st. Mookz you should as well.

$200 does seem like a reasonable floor. $400 was way to high to buy considering it WAS the all time high. :)

$150 is the floor to me but $200 is still a great buy in (as I said I bought some more as well). A lot of people are worried about SegWit (over hyped) so this may be the last chance ever to get CC's for what will one day be considered extremely low.

$150 is the floor to me but $200 is still a great buy in (as I said I bought some more as well). A lot of people are worried about SegWit (over hyped) so this may be the last chance ever to get CC's for what will one day be considered extremely low.

It may be. I am still skeptical of CC's but appreciate your insight and information. I will, like with Amazon, probably kick myself in the ass for not taking the plunge.

Before I ask my question about CCs I'm going to pimp AMD a little.

Hopefully you guys have made some money with me on this. Remember it's never a bad thing to take profits and don't beat yourself up if it keeps going up. A win is a win. However, I think this stock is headed to 18+ by end of year. Taking market share from Intel and Nvidia and the only major semiconductor company thay does both CPU and GPU. New products getting rave reviews and endorsements

I may take some profit off the table as we near earnings report but AMD has now become a longer term hold for me

Hopefully you guys have made some money with me on this. Remember it's never a bad thing to take profits and don't beat yourself up if it keeps going up. A win is a win. However, I think this stock is headed to 18+ by end of year. Taking market share from Intel and Nvidia and the only major semiconductor company thay does both CPU and GPU. New products getting rave reviews and endorsements

I may take some profit off the table as we near earnings report but AMD has now become a longer term hold for me

I have been paying attention, I still own my shares. That year chart looks really nice.

Regarding CCs... the thing that makes me most skeptical (and I suppose this was suppose to be part of the appeal) is the decentralized, unregulated aspect of crypto currencies.

What, exactly is keeping the market from being flooded with different invisible currency? Bitcoin, ether, litecoin, zipcoin, flashcoin, giggitycoin, nether, splender, you get the point. Plus all the "ICOs" which is really just a round of coin funding for CC startups.

At least with fiat currencies there is some regulation and you're not really going to see new, papee currencies pop up and be the latest craze.

I understand the block chain technology is the real key but again, what is stopping endless CCs?

Don't take this as me bashing CCs but I'd be much more apt to jump in if it was bitcoin and ether and I was gambling on ether getting to bitcoin levels.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain

Regarding CCs... the thing that makes me most skeptical (and I suppose this was suppose to be part of the appeal) is the decentralized, unregulated aspect of crypto currencies.

What, exactly is keeping the market from being flooded with different invisible currency? Bitcoin, ether, litecoin, zipcoin, flashcoin, giggitycoin, nether, splender, you get the point. Plus all the "ICOs" which is really just a round of coin funding for CC startups.

At least with fiat currencies there is some regulation and you're not really going to see new, papee currencies pop up and be the latest craze.

I understand the block chain technology is the real key but again, what is stopping endless CCs?

Don't take this as me bashing CCs but I'd be much more apt to jump in if it was bitcoin and ether and I was gambling on ether getting to bitcoin levels.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain

It being decentralized is what most people (including me) love about it. There is nothing stopping a flood of new CC's which is what you are actually seeing right now, you just have to look into what problem each CC is solving and if you think there will be a market for it. But the good ones are the good ones for a reason.

Heres a good article: https://medium.com/@jimmysong/why-bitcoin-is-different-than-other-cryptocurrencies-e16b17d48b94

It being decentralized is what most people (including me) love about it. There is nothing stopping a flood of new CC's which is what you are actually seeing right now, you just have to look into what problem each CC is solving and if you think there will be a market for it. But the good ones are the good ones for a reason.

Heres a good article: https://medium.com/@jimmysong/why-bitcoin-is-different-than-other-cryptocurrencies-e16b17d48b94

I guess I just don't see CCs as solving any problems aside from having a decentralized currency for people who want to move away from fiat currency and ever hang to deal with paper money or credit cards and interest rates.

When I was reading ebout ethereum and how it is used to pay to be able to build on "the ether", that's not really a problem as much as a manufactured use for ethereum "coins".

Don't have time to read the article right now and again, I'm not being Mr pessimist. I may very well use some of my AMD profit to buy ether... but perhaps you could explain some more of the problems these various CCs are solving?

I guess I just don't see CCs as solving any problems aside from having a decentralized currency for people who want to move away from fiat currency and ever hang to deal with paper money or credit cards and interest rates.

When I was reading ebout ethereum and how it is used to pay to be able to build on "the ether", that's not really a problem as much as a manufactured use for ethereum "coins".

Don't have time to read the article right now and again, I'm not being Mr pessimist. I may very well use some of my AMD profit to buy ether... but perhaps you could explain some more of the problems these various CCs are solving?

In a normal financial system you have to trust your bank. If your bank is shady they can take advantage of you without you even knowing same with a central bank or state run bank. CC's are a trustless system. Your money isn't in an account because a bank system says so your money is in your account because its impossible for anyone to move them who does have the key. If you move CC's it isn’t a value changed in a bank or payment processors, it’s put on the public blockchain and secured.

The actual value of a CC is of course subject to the same mechanics that all other currencies face. But the base value of a single blockchain is the amount of math-power that its mining network has. This is a real physical value similar to gold or oil.

You and I share similar concerns. I feel the "big" players can move from 1 cc to another to simply fock/manipulate with the price and the average guy just sits back and watches as he can't do shlt because the wallet crashed.

In a normal financial system you have to trust your bank. If your bank is shady they can take advantage of you without you even knowing same with a central bank or state run bank. CC's are a trustless system. Your money isn't in an account because a bank system says so your money is in your account because its impossible for anyone to move them who does have the key. If you move CC's it isnt a value changed in a bank or payment processors, its put on the public blockchain and secured.

The actual value of a CC is of course subject to the same mechanics that all other currencies face. But the base value of a single blockchain is the amount of math-power that its mining network has. This is a real physical value similar to gold or oil.

I work for a bank so I'm familiar with the differences between a bank and CCs but that's really another way to explain the same problems that any CC can solve. So why do we need more than 2 or 3?

Like what is Litecoin. Solving that bitcoin is not?

Also while there is appeal to decentralization, banks offer FDIC backstops.. wether you truely believe it or not. And CCs are able to be hacked and stolen as we have already seen with no recourse...

I work for a bank so I'm familiar with the differences between a bank and CCs but that's really another way to explain the same problems that any CC can solve. So why do we need more than 2 or 3?

Like what is Litecoin. Solving that bitcoin is not?

Also while there is appeal to decentralization, banks offer FDIC backstops.. wether you truely believe it or not. And CCs are able to be hacked and stolen as we have already seen with no recourse...

The math is different behind each one. Once it simmers down I think we will only be left with 4-5 majors are 20 or so alt coins. There is a coin called STEEM - working in social media I think this is a cool one. Most content creators don't get paid for their work, they post something, get some engagement but ultimately you want people to go to your website or anywhere else you can make money on Adsense. STEEM is changing the game as content creators can upload on the STEEM network, they know and verify that the image is original and it gets put on the blockchain. Now whenever this image shows up on other social media websites or anywhere on the internet they get paid for it where as before it was free and you were unable to verify the original artist. That to me is a good example of what a CC can solve.

Litecoin is essentially the same exact thing as Bitcoin, but it just happens to be China's favorite CC so that alone to me is worth investing in. You just have to pick the right "bank" Coinbase reimbursed everyone for their loses when they had the flash crash a few weeks ago.

If you are going to get in I would do it before August 1st.

Also building a CC trading bot with Tradewave and some simple Python coding. Have been backtesting for about the last 3 weeks and will continue to backtest until I have it "perfect" would say it is about 80% done now. TW is open source is if anyone gets on there I will share my bot strategy with you.

Also building a CC trading bot with Tradewave and some simple Python coding. Have been backtesting for about the last 3 weeks and will continue to backtest until I have it "perfect" would say it is about 80% done now. TW is open source is if anyone gets on there I will share my bot strategy with you.

Unless you are on the forefront of technology many are already doing this. Right?

Unless you are on the forefront of technology many are already doing this. Right?

Define many. I mean it isn't uncommon but not many people even know how to do this, plus just because they did it doesn't mean it works.

Probably going to pull the trigger finally about buy some shares of SnapChat (SNAP) floating around $15 seems like a steal to me. With them working on so much augmented reality I believe this is a long term play. Also feel Twitter after sinking the last few years is due for a bounce back. Their ads manager built into Twitter has improved a lot the last fews and it should convert to more revenue.

:thumbsup: to AMD. Wish I had bought more, I only went in for 50 shares. :doh:

What do you think about Nvidia at this point? It's up big in July after being up and down last month and I could now sell for a small gain. Will AMD's success necessarily come at the expense of Nvidia, or can they both do well?

The math is different behind each one. Once it simmers down I think we will only be left with 4-5 majors are 20 or so alt coins. There is a coin called STEEM - working in social media I think this is a cool one. Most content creators don't get paid for their work, they post something, get some engagement but ultimately you want people to go to your website or anywhere else you can make money on Adsense. STEEM is changing the game as content creators can upload on the STEEM network, they know and verify that the image is original and it gets put on the blockchain. Now whenever this image shows up on other social media websites or anywhere on the internet they get paid for it where as before it was free and you were unable to verify the original artist. That to me is a good example of what a CC can solve.

Litecoin is essentially the same exact thing as Bitcoin, but it just happens to be China's favorite CC so that alone to me is worth investing in. You just have to pick the right "bank" Coinbase reimbursed everyone for their loses when they had the flash crash a few weeks ago.

If you are going to get in I would do it before August 1st.

but previously, owners of images found on the net via, lets say a google search, could turn around and file a lawsuit against anyone else who used that image on their blog, website, etc.... very few images are for public use via the public use filter.

While I do understand the scenario you just laid out regarding what this "STEEM" can do for content creators, why does there need to be a crypto currency involved? Sounds like this could just be a nifty business that serves content creators like any other normal business.

Like i said before I get the whole blockchain technology.. Its basically a general ledger. I just don't fully understand the need or appeal of 45 different crypto currencies and feel that many will die off or be worthless (kind of like a lot of the weed stocks right now)

What do you think about Nvidia at this point? It's up big in July after being up and down last month and I could now sell for a small gain. Will AMD's success necessarily come at the expense of Nvidia, or can they both do well?

They can absolutely both do well. I do not own Nvidia. I chose AMD because it was a cheaper entry price and I felt, and still feel that it has more room to grow than Nvidia.

Why?

for many years, AMD was the red headed step child that dominated the low end of the CPU and GPU markets. They are now becoming players in the high end markets that have traditionally been dominated by Nvidia on the GPU side and Intel on the CPU side. This means that because AMD had a very small market share of high end chips in the past, it can now gain high end market share at a faster rate than the other companies that were already dominating the space.

So lets say AMD steals 15% market share each from Intel and Nvidia. This is great news for AMD. Its not so great news for Nvidia but I don't think it means Nvidia is going to sink because in the end, they still have great products to offer that are in high demand and competition can be good for business.

I feel like Nvidia is a hold and AMD is a buy. Although I always would caution against buying so close to an earnings report as even the slightest negativity in earnings or even in forward projections can cause a huge sell off. It happened when AMD reported Q1 earnings (which allowed me to add more shares at $10.17) and AMD has not even made it back to its 52 week high.

also, the thing with selling for small gains is that you have to remember, unless you hold for 1 year, you will be paying short term capital gains tax on any profits you make come tax time. Short term means those gains will be taxed at your normal ta bracket rate. If you hold for 1 year or longer, you will be taxed at a much lower rate. The government does this to encourage long term investing in the economy.

actually small gains or large gains, its the same issue.

gains are gains and you don't want to hold onto a stock that you think might go down just to make it to that 1 year threshold, but if you do like what a stock is doing and feel it will continue to go up, it behooves you to own the shares for a while longer.

I think I'll take my risk to somewhere other the CC's right now. Amazon for instance.

Or how about the Chinese Amazon, Alibaba? I'm probably getting in on it way too late, but it seems unstoppable. :shocking:

also, the thing with selling for small gains is that you have to remember, unless you hold for 1 year, you will be paying short term capital gains tax on any profits you make come tax time. Short term means those gains will be taxed at your normal ta bracket rate. If you hold for 1 year or longer, you will be taxed at a much lower rate. The government does this to encourage long term investing in the economy.

actually small gains or large gains, its the same issue.

gains are gains and you don't want to hold onto a stock that you think might go down just to make it to that 1 year threshold, but if you do like what a stock is doing and feel it will continue to go up, it behooves you to own the shares for a while longer.

Ah, got it, I was not aware of that. I guess the offset would be that I have free trades for a little while longer, so I could get out without paying a fee (it's really a very small gain right now, I didn't buy much Nvidia either). I'll probably hang on a while longer, though. It jumped because SunTrust just upgraded it, so maybe I'll wait and see where that goes.

You can also claim any losses (once you sell for a loss, of course) up to a total of a 3k net loss and if you have more than a 3k net loss you can carry that loss over for the following tax year.

example: you made 5 grand on AMD but lost 3 grand on RAD. On your taxes you claim the 5k gains and the 3k losses will offset some of the taxes youll pay on the 5k gains

example: you dont sell your AMD by years end and have no gains to report. You lost 4 grand on RAD. On your taxes you can claim a 3k loss on shares of RAD and on your taxes the following year you can claim another 1k loss. Those reported losses will lessen what you owe or increase your refund but obviously not by anywhere close to the 3 grand you lost via the market.

but previously, owners of images found on the net via, lets say a google search, could turn around and file a lawsuit against anyone else who used that image on their blog, website, etc.... very few images are for public use via the public use filter.

While I do understand the scenario you just laid out regarding what this "STEEM" can do for content creators, why does there need to be a crypto currency involved? Sounds like this could just be a nifty business that serves content creators like any other normal business.

Like i said before I get the whole blockchain technology.. Its basically a general ledger. I just don't fully understand the need or appeal of 45 different crypto currencies and feel that many will die off or be worthless (kind of like a lot of the weed stocks right now)

Because you would pay that business and they would take a cut where as if you just backed it with a coin (that only you have the key to) it is true to you and no one can say you were the original creator because the blockchain verifies your word.

There won't be this many a few years frmo now, everyone is just trying to get a piece of the pie, you just have to use your best judgement and try to guess trends before they happen and cherry pick the good ones. There are hundreds of coins now and I own about 20 different ones. Once you start going threw them you can see there are only a handful of really good ones.