Sign in to follow this  
The Postman

Keenan Allen

I want to have the best group at either one of RBs or WR/TEs, and piece together the other position through mid to late rd/waivers, and have been very successful at both.

The past few years though, I've moved more towards Zero RB, and haven't missed the playoffs in any year.

I have grown to love having 3 stud WRs and an elite TE, and have had no problems finding good to very good RBs.

You do have to be smart though with how you play this as you can't have this work if you're a 'set it and forget it" type owner.

You have to be 1-2 weeks ahead of potential job changes, to ensure you have the guy on your bench before he breaks out.

You don't blow your waiver priority on small acquisitions. Hitting on just one big guy makes so much more of a difference, so you have to be proactive about putting yourself in the right position for that.

If you have unlimited transactions, always use one roster spot to pickup the best handcuff during every slate of games in the event someone goes down. Pickup the Thurs night handcuff immediately, and then drop him for the Noon Sun best handcuff if no injury, then the same for 3 PM and so forth. It can get tedious, but I promise you it will work at some point. 2 years ago it got me Buck Allen for the playoffs when Forsett went down, and last year it got me Jordan Howard when Langford went down.

Just proves that no plan is the perfect plan. I've made the playoffs in almost every league I've been in over the last few years. I haven't always won the championship, but I've been there more than not and I go RB heavy early and find WR's in the middle rounds. I wait until the double digit rounds for TE's and then I'll get a QB.

In leagues where you start 3 WR, I think it's very important to have a good #1 Wr and a solid #2.

if you only start 2 WR, then you want a top #1.

that third WR can often be found on the wire or acquired late in drafts and I'm not worried about filling THAT spot because I'm pretty active on the waiver wire and stay on top of my teams.

But in terms of depth, I want that at RB because like Kent said.... injuries happen at RB. Moreso than any other position. so having depth at that position makes sense.

In leagues where you start 3 WR, I think it's very important to have a good #1 Wr and a solid #2.

if you only start 2 WR, then you want a top #1.

that third WR can often be found on the wire or acquired late in drafts and I'm not worried about filling THAT spot because I'm pretty active on the waiver wire and stay on top of my teams.

But in terms of depth, I want that at RB because like Kent said.... injuries happen at RB. Moreso than any other position. so having depth at that position makes sense.

to expand on this as a Zero RB fan, another luxury is you really only need to roster 4 WRs, so you can have 7-8 RBs to increase your chances.

if you know every WR of yours is a must start every week, then you don't need depth at that position.

Fair enough. I just don't agree with the strategy. I load up on RB's early and I've been able to find scrap heap / waiver wire WR's every year.

I do the exact same thing. Which makes taking an early pick on Allen overtly risky. If he fell to the 5th round in a 12 man then maybe. But I'm not using a 4th rounder on a guy like that.

Edit: I think the only time I ever used my first round pick on a WR was Randy Moss back when he was ungodly. Last year I got the first pick and the world was saying Antonio Brown and Zero RB Strategy. I took DJ and won my points title $$$.

I do the exact same thing. Which makes taking an early pick on Allen overtly risky. If he fell to the 5th round in a 12 man then maybe. But I'm not using a 4th rounder on a guy like that.

Edit: I think the only time I ever used my first round pick on a WR was Randy Moss back when he was ungodly. Last year I got the first pick and the world was saying Antonio Brown and Zero RB Strategy. I took DJ and won my points title $$$.

Agreed. That's why I said I'd be ok with Allen in the 7th. At that point, I should have at least 3 or 4 RB's and 2 or 3 WR's by then, thus making him a bench player and potentially first off the bench.

Exactly. It's is harder to find RBs but that's the position that gets most often hurt so it is what it is. I don't want to have to find a RB AND a WR. We all know we have to find RB all year. I don't want that risk out of my WR position in the early rounds.

Im in a ten team auction league and have have a decent size bench. I actually take more RBs than most people. I would rather plug and play the WR position through FA. I have won my league 2 of the last 3 years by getting strategic back ups to other teams starters and come later they run out of backs and I get another starter.

Yes. Love some tyrell this season

The cheapest and my favorite WR stack with huge upside Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams. I think you can get Williams in double digit rounds