Sign in to follow this  
72dolfan

Crazy For Thinking This (Hunt/ D Cook) Early

I'm in a 12 team .5 PPR league that allows one keeper and assigns that keeper to a round. We can start 3 RBs & 2 WRs, or vice versa. TEs count as WRs.

I pick 12th/13th. The following will be gone before it gets to me;

L Bell

D Johnson,

A Brown

J Jones

L McCoy

D Freeman

J Nelson

O Beckham

M Evans

AJ Green

J Ajayi

M Gordan

M Thomas

Those are the ones that will be drafted or kept that warrant 1st/2nd round considerations.

I have J Howard as my 5th round pick.

My first thought was to go RB/WR Like D Murrray/Dez Bryant or D Baldwin. But if I take Murray, I would have to reach for Henry as a handcuff (another guy in the league wants to have Henry's baby).

Then I thought D Bryant & D Baldwin (WR/WR), but by the time I draft again, knowing these owners, there will be a big run on RBs, so anyone worth grabbing in the first four rounds will be gone.

So, the question is, I'm considering grabbing K Hunt & D Cook with 12-13, and then K Benjamin & M Bryant (WR/WR) rounds 3 & 4.

Is that nuts? I don't like Gurley. Like I said, all RBs worth taking (Including Hunt & Cook) will be gone before my 3rd round pick.

Picking 2 rookies RBs with your first two picks will not be wise. Past history shows that rookie RBs rarely pass the 1,000 yard mark with the exception of a few. I would definitely go WR/WR IMO

Picking 2 rookies RBs with your first two picks will not be wise. Past history shows that rookie RBs rarely pass the 1,000 yard mark with the exception of a few. I would definitely go WR/WR IMO

What? What history are you looking at? I am not calling you old or anything. But since I started FF, for the past 10 years, almost every top rookie RBs has reached 1000 yard mark. Hard to even name one that hasn't.

Actually I like the move.

I like Benjamin, Brandon Marshall, and Marvin Jones.

Plenty of the WRs that will reach a 1000 yards this year, go for the RB/RB.

What? What history are you looking at? I am not calling you old or anything. But since I started FF, for the past 10 years, almost every top rookie RBs has reached 1000 yard mark. Hard to even name one that hasn't.

Off the top of my head: Melvin Gordon, Montee Ball, Ameer Abdullah, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best, Darren McFadden. These are all guys who went between the 2nd and 5th round their rookie seasons and landed closer to 500 yards than 1000.

Which is not to say Cook and Hunt won't do well. It's just easy to forget the less than memorable rookie years, particularly from players who went on to dominate in their 2nd or 3rd seasons.

Off the top of my head: Melvin Gordon, Montee Ball, Ameer Abdullah, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best, Darren McFadden. These are all guys who went between the 2nd and 5th round their rookie seasons and landed closer to 500 yards than 1000.

Which is not to say Cook and Hunt won't do well. It's just easy to forget the less than memorable rookie years, particularly from players who went on to dominate in their 2nd or 3rd seasons.

Almost everyone on that list became productive to great once given the opportunity.

Obviously everyone situation is different. Just want to point out that it's less about the past, more about if the stars are lining up for the rookie running back this playing season.

Like the Joe Mixon thread. People think, oh every Cin's rookie RB had a great year, so that must the a fact.... I mean where is the logic, it doesn't explain the important question of "why".

Although I took Dalvin Cook.. his history of shoulder issues scares me a bit. His hammies have also been suspect.

IMO rolling with Hunt and Elliott should mitigate some of that rookie/injury risk.

Yeah, Elliot and Howard in 2016 was a disaster

Just saying

I like Benjamin, Brandon Marshall, and Marvin Jones.

Plenty of the WRs that will reach a 1000 yards this year, go for the RB/RB.

But go those two RBs? That's my quandary. Like I said, I'd take Murray, but the that wants to have D Henry's baby will take him before the 6th round. I'm not gonna reach that far.

I think you can't go wrong with Zeke/Hunt/Cook, any of the two.

I've been looking a little more at Dez Bryant. He's missed some games the last couple of years, but Romo missed all of last year and most of 2015. Dak was throwing a lot of short passes early on last season until they opened him up.

If Dez can stay relatively healthy, I think he and Dak can put up some good numbers together. 2014 was a huge year for Bryant.

But go those two RBs? That's my quandary. Like I said, I'd take Murray, but the that wants to have D Henry's baby will take him before the 6th round. I'm not gonna reach that far.

Who says you need Derrick Henry? Picking Murray doesn't require taking his expensive backup, even if his backup is really good. It's not like you're going to handcuff one of the rookies of you take them. If you don't like him that's one thing, but his backup's ADP shouldn't be your deciding factor.

Personally, I would take someone like Murray with a strong track record in this very offense with one of the picks. If you insist on going RB/RB, I'd aim for a mix of security and ceiling with those picks. Diversify your assets.

Yeah, Elliot and Howard in 2016 was a disaster

Just saying

Lol maybe it was past history before 2016.

Great post.

I've been looking a little more at Dez Bryant. He's missed some games the last couple of years, but Romo missed all of last year and most of 2015. Dak was throwing a lot of short passes early on last season until they opened him up.

If Dez can stay relatively healthy, I think he and Dak can put up some good numbers together. 2014 was a huge year for Bryant.

Well, I drafted last night. LeSean McCoy fell to me at 12, so I took him and then decided to go with D Murray. In rounds 3 & 4, I took K Benjiman & M Bryant, followed by Golden Tate. I also grabbed D Henry (because I had Murray) in the 10th round.

Well, I drafted last night. LeSean McCoy fell to me at 12, so I took him and then decided to go with D Murray. In rounds 3 & 4, I took K Benjiman & M Bryant, followed by Golden Tate. I also grabbed D Henry (because I had Murray) in the 10th round.

just for fun's sake, who were the next best RBs on the board in RD 3/4 when it got back to you?

just for fun's sake, who were the next best RBs on the board in RD 3/4 when it got back to you?

Gillislee, Ingram, & Powell