Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Im no teetotaller, but...

Watching a friend of mine throw away a long, difficult stretch of sobriety that followed some very serious consequences - sucks.

A few of us know, but nobody's gossiping - just way too serious and sad. 

The shiit hammers coming. Dammit.  It's like watching a fave player fumble before the goal line. 

You've either been Through this or you haven't. It's not like some dude having a couple extra beers at the barbecue.

• Sad 1

Grown adult going to make life choices.  Sounds like a whole lot of his problem

It happens. Someone close has been to rehab 3 times in the last year or so. Saw him last week and he was drunk in the AM. 

They have to hit bottom, but who knows what that is.

Started a thread on this very subject months ago. That friend has been in rehab and now is in halfway house. Best I can do is pray.

It’s a nasty disease. It’s not as simple as making a choice. I have lost two people close to me due to it. They need support hand not be judged. 

It's genetic right?  Let them drink themselves to death before they procreate so the human race is stronger.  Darwinism.

6 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It happens. Someone close has been to rehab 3 times in the last year or so. Saw him last week and he was drunk in the AM. 

They have to hit bottom, but who knows what that is.

Did he give you a reach around before he passed out? 

50 minutes ago, nobody said:

It's genetic right?  Let them drink themselves to death before they procreate so the human race is stronger.  Darwinism.

Wow 

5 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Did he give you a reach around before he passed out? 

Uh, no. My son asked if the guy really thought we didn’t notice he wasn’t drunk. 

Worst part, I'm / we're not even sure if he's expanded his choice of intoxicants. or just going with whatever's available.  Sure seems like it. But, beyond here? No way I'm speculating. 

32 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Worst part, I'm / we're not even sure if he's expanded his choice of intoxicants. or just going with whatever's available.  Sure seems like it. But, beyond here? No way I'm speculating. 

I would not assume that it is a single item. With prescription and designer drugs being so prevalent, it would be naive to think that an addictive personality would stick to just one. 

• Thanks 1

Addiction is a strange animal, some are able to manage it seemingly with no struggle, others it is a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

For whatever reason I seem to know a lot of addicts.

One sober for 30+ years, another sober for 15 years (if you don't count prescription meth), another sober for 10+ years after several starts and stops.

Then I have another friend who will sober up for a year or three then go off the deep end .. booze, cocaine, Xanax, hookers, 24/7/365 until he lands back in jail or the hospital. 6 DUIs, 3 domestic violence, numerous drunk & disorderly, hospital for multiple arse whoopings, once was stabbed a dozen times by a guy who didn't know how to use a knife. 

I finally had to give up on him after getting dragged into one too many legal/financial/personal disasters.

Best advice if you have a friend who is an addict is to stay the fock away.

I would never tolerate a drug addict. Shouldn't have started that shite in the first place. What kind of loser even tries something like heroin or meth?