Sign in to follow this  
Law

Steeler Desperation Move

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, the problem is that I have a reading comprehension issue.  LOL.  I missed where you added in the 5th year option.

It's all good!  I was seriously questioning my mental health.  I'm wrong a lot, but usually when I use my fingers, I'm good.  lol

27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Next year, I'm taking a Kicker in the first round of my fantasy draft.

I took Greg Zuerlein in the 1st round, and the Chicago Bears defense in the 2nd round, of a $250 league this year.  I would expect that the Axe Elf K/D challenge is going to go viral next year after I cash.  It'll be bigger than Tide pods.

Well, if the scoring systems favors kickers and defenses, you did the correct thing.  If not, maybe Zuerlein will play some RB later this year...….

The scary thing about Tide Pods is when you come to the realization that the people eating them will be running this Nation in another twenty years.  The press will no longer be asking if the Presidential Candidate has ever smoked marijuana.  They will ask "Have you ever eaten a Tide Pod?" 

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Well, if the scoring systems favors kickers and defenses, you did the correct thing.

No, pretty normal PPR scoring.  If anything, it favors QBs a little, with 1 pt per 20 yards passing and only -1 INTs.

17 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

No, pretty normal PPR scoring.  If anything, it favors QBs a little, with 1 pt per 20 yards passing and only -1 INTs.

You really did that?  Was it for an experiment, maybe to see if you could get by without those picks?  I could see doing it if I were drinking and just wanted to argue online or something that my kicker was going to outscore Mahommes…..  I mean, that could be a fun Friday evening..

2 hours ago, cavern said:

this is such a weird position to take.  you don't think it's possible to have an excellent grade on a player like Rudolph, but believe your needs to be greater elsewhere - so you use your first 2 picks on other players you deem to "need" more... and then, as the third round is getting going someone in your draft room speaks up and says "Hey guys, Mason Rudolph is still available...." and then you trade to move up?

that or something similar is just not even possible?

you are also foolish to think hes the only player to fall in the draft.

any team in the NFL could have up to 5 players who (in their opinions) are first round talents who fell into round 2 or 3. 

sometimes this happens due to multiple reasons.  

1) need.    do you select a first round QB when you have a starter that could make that player redundant?    Not likely.

2) fit.   How will the kid's personality mesh with that of the team?   Is QB the greatest need on your team?  Perhaps, perhaps not.   Rothlisberger talked about retirement, but I think that was a ploy to get a contract.   If I'm pittsburgh, round 2 is the earliest I even consider drafting a QB because they have a starter in place.   smarter move is to draft a high upside QB in round 2-3 (preferably round 3) to develop over a year or two while waiting for big ben to retire.

3) while not generally something people like us consider, it would also make some sense that a first rounder would expect to play within a year or so.  Not everyone is patient Like Aaron Rodgers.  many first rounders will sulk if they dont play year 1.  if they sit year 2 as well, then they have a problem.    a second or third rounder will be more likely to sit and accept their position in the order of things.   This is actually important.    it is also important to consider the message you send to your starting QB.   Rothlisberger may be willing to stay and play if the team makes a legitimate attempt to win a superbowl.  while this likely isnt in the contract, it may be a handshake agreement.

some of these are things we cannot judge the team on because we dont know the details of what goes on behind the scenes.

10 minutes ago, posty said:

It would be better if they just fold the franchise...

oh no - are they giving Tomlin another extension?

1 hour ago, posty said:

It would be better if they just fold the franchise...

I think this belongs in the overreaction thread.  😂

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

You really did that?  Was it for an experiment, maybe to see if you could get by without those picks?  I could see doing it if I were drinking and just wanted to argue online or something that my kicker was going to outscore Mahommes…..  I mean, that could be a fun Friday evening..

When you're Axe Elf, you have to level the playing field a little, or everyone else gets tired of playing with you--so I like to challenge myself with a handicap from time to time.

A few years ago, I cashed 2nd place in a league where I picked my entire team from the free agents left over after all the other teams had drafted normally.  In that one, I had the compensatory perk of having the #1 waiver priority every week (just for the first player, then into the rotation with everyone else), and some of the league dynamics were also in my favor (only 9 other teams in the league, and 8 teams made the playoffs), so even though the initial handicap was greater, I had a few tools to help me recover.

This one is normal FAAB waivers, though, so I'm on an equal footing with everyone else when it comes to picking guys up.

I just think that in-season management is the biggest part of winning a league anyway, along with hitting on a few of those later-round picks that aren't consensus studs over the summer.

I'm currently 1-1 in that league, and sitting on AJ Green and Melvin Gordon for a late-season boost.

14 hours ago, AxeElf said:

When you're Axe Elf, you have to level the playing field a little, or everyone else gets tired of playing with you--so I like to challenge myself with a handicap from time to time.

A few years ago, I cashed 2nd place in a league where I picked my entire team from the free agents left over after all the other teams had drafted normally.  In that one, I had the compensatory perk of having the #1 waiver priority every week (just for the first player, then into the rotation with everyone else), and some of the league dynamics were also in my favor (only 9 other teams in the league, and 8 teams made the playoffs), so even though the initial handicap was greater, I had a few tools to help me recover.

This one is normal FAAB waivers, though, so I'm on an equal footing with everyone else when it comes to picking guys up.

I just think that in-season management is the biggest part of winning a league anyway, along with hitting on a few of those later-round picks that aren't consensus studs over the summer.

I'm currently 1-1 in that league, and sitting on AJ Green and Melvin Gordon for a late-season boost.

Not quite the same situation, but in a Dynasty League I drafted in, we had a new guy drafting with us.  He read the scoring rules, sort of....  In Rounds 5, 6 and 7, he took defenses.  He obviously didn't realize you could only start one.  If you only looked at the scoring though, this particular league has scoring so a top 3 defense can score as much as a decent WR2.  We gave him heck on the message board for it, but he was adamant that he knew what he was doing.  In the end, he finished dead last.  About 9 years into the league, he did finally win a title.  By then, he had learned a bit.  Maybe he was just smarter than all of us and cut us some slack those 9 years? 

19 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I did something like this a few years back.  We had a guy bail on us for draft day we got stuck with 11 teams drafting.  Because of the scheduling and division issues it created after the draft completed I floated the idea of just forming a 12th team that could not trade with anyone, would form it's whole team only from FA and I even stipulated that it would not make any waiver claims during the waiver period (just so as commish i couldn't be accused of grabbing players just so my opponents didn't get them).  League agreed and we trudged on.  Every week i would pour over the already picked over guys on waiver the morning after waivers had run.  Team "Bye Week" got blown out for 4 weeks straight then started to look a little competitive, in fact it nearly beat my own good team in that 5th week.  I used that team to focus in, sometimes weeks early, on guys returning from suspension, holdouts or injury.  Ended up 4-9 on the season after starting 0-4 but people stopped thinking of it as a walk-over...also helped me learn a bit about more effectively managing my own teams.  Was fun more than anything else.  

17 minutes ago, jgcrawfish said:

I did something like this a few years back.  We had a guy bail on us for draft day we got stuck with 11 teams drafting.  Because of the scheduling and division issues it created after the draft completed I floated the idea of just forming a 12th team that could not trade with anyone, would form it's whole team only from FA and I even stipulated that it would not make any waiver claims during the waiver period (just so as commish i couldn't be accused of grabbing players just so my opponents didn't get them).  League agreed and we trudged on.  Every week i would pour over the already picked over guys on waiver the morning after waivers had run.  Team "Bye Week" got blown out for 4 weeks straight then started to look a little competitive, in fact it nearly beat my own good team in that 5th week.  I used that team to focus in, sometimes weeks early, on guys returning from suspension, holdouts or injury.  Ended up 4-9 on the season after starting 0-4 but people stopped thinking of it as a walk-over...also helped me learn a bit about more effectively managing my own teams.  Was fun more than anything else.  

honestly, I dont think many teams win championships without getting at least one or two solid players from the wire over the course of a year, or a handful of spot starts (plug & play) on bye weeks or injury fill ins.

while it is possible to draft a team and win with the team drafted, I dont think it happens as much as it once did.

The waiver wire is a very good team management tool, and is underrated.