Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Mike Davis - Speculative Add?

Bears have released RB Mike Davis.

Davis and the Bears agreed to a two-year deal for $6 million, but he has now been cut, in part because it allows the team a 4th round compensatory draft pick. 

He's definitely a guy with some talent and fresh legs, and could possibly be picked up by a team with RB needs (Lions, maybe?). He managed the good contract with Chicago by averaging 4.7 ypc last year with Seattle, and catching 34 balls. If a FF-owner had room on his bench, he's a guy that certainly bears watching (no pun intended)for a week or so, to see if any team worthwhile signs him as more than just a backup.

I would agree, he is worth a stash.  

Reportedly claimed by Panthers..

So, nevermind.....(barring both a McCaffery and Bonnafon injury, of course).

We're branding Davis as bad because a coaching staff that has Mitchell Turdbisky at QB and had a gameplan that involved 7 running plays didn't use him?

How about we use actual performance metrics to see if he can play

No. Player  Age Pos G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
32 Chris Carson 24 RB 14 14 247 1151 9 61 4.7 82.2 17.6 24 20 163 8.2 0 27 1.4 11.6 83.3% 6.8 267 4.9 1314 9 3
27 Mike Davis 25 rb 15 2 112 514 4 37 4.6 34.3 7.5 42 34 214 6.3 1 18 2.3 14.3 81.0% 5.1 146 5.0 728 5

I'm not saying he's an elite RB, but he's not garbage when he basically had the same level of performance per touch as Chris Carson did last year, less the fumbles.  Granted the Panthers acquiring him makes him useless in fantasy, but the Bears not using him is likely more of a problem with the organization than with Davis.

45 minutes ago, shutdown said:

We're branding Davis as bad because a coaching staff that has Mitchell Turdbisky at QB and had a gameplan that involved 7 running plays didn't use him?

Granted the Panthers acquiring him makes him useless in fantasy, but the Bears not using him is likely more of a problem with the organization than with Davis.

That's why I started this thread. Contrary to popular belief in this thread, Davis has enough talent to be a fantasy-worthy RB with the right team. Unfortunately, the right team didn't claim him.

19 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Davis has enough talent to be a fantasy-worthy RB with the right team. Unfortunately, the right team didn't claim him.

Kinda like David Montgomery.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Kinda like David Montgomery.

Time will tell.....although your ardent insistence that he would be the RB3 behind Cohen and Davis this season didn't quite pan out. 

Nevertheless, DMont has won me games this season in the flex, which is what matters. Glad to own him.

He may or may not manage to climb into the top 12 by season's end, but last time I checked, he was hanging out at around #20 in non-ppr. Not bad for a 3rd stringer, eh?

58 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Time will tell.....although your ardent insistence that he would be the RB3 behind Cohen and Davis this season didn't quite pan out.

You must have me confused with someone else.

I never said he would be a third stringer (RB3).  My ardent insistence was that Montgomery would not be the reliable starting RB that people were drafting him to be, because he would be mired in an ugly 3-headed RBBC in the Chicago backfield.

My assessment was that Davis would be the goalline back, Cohen would be catching the passes out of the backfield, and Montgomery would be piling up the yardage between the 20s.  This is all well-documented in the "What's the thoughts on David Montgomery?" thread, leading up to my $25 bet with you that Montgomery would not finish the season as a RB1 (top 12) in standard scoring.  It turned into more of a 2-headed RBBC (not counting the occasional gadget play with Cordarrelle Patterson in the backfield), but it's still been pretty ugly, due to the general ineffectiveness of the Bears' offense as a whole.

You can make your payment at any time...

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

As can you, if you so choose...

25 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I never said he would be a third stringer (RB3).  My ardent insistence was that Montgomery would not be the reliable starting RB that people were drafting him to be, because he would be mired in an ugly 3-headed RBBC in the Chicago backfield.

Fair enough. I'll agree that you only alluded to it, although he certainly hasn't been mired in any 3-headed committee, and you did post in the DMont thread the following link to a depth chart that indicated that he was 3rd string.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/224/CHI

Now, let's see if their newly-signed-from-the-practice-squad RB becomes the Nall in his coffin. That dysfunctional organization has become hard to gauge.

18 hours ago, AxeElf said:

18 hours ago, stonewall said:

As can you, if you so choose...

No, I don't think you understand this whole "wagering" concept.  You see, only the LOSER is required to make payment.

Being the eventual WINNER, that condition would not apply to Axe Elf.

Now that’s a tough one. 

Davis hasn’t even been on the team for a day. 

I would hold at this time. 

Either way of Mccaffery was to go down, it’s a RBBC. 

21 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

So as a CMC owner who has Bonnafon on my bench, do I pick up Davis and drop Bonnafon?  Who’s the backup now?

RBBC. Holding Bonn in PPR