Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Pre-Season Overreactions/Observations

Broncos and Seahawks.

I can kinda see why Bridgewater won the job--he made some really pinpoint throws in the first couple of series.  It really wasn't that Lock was bad--most of his throws were on target too--but Bridgewater seemed to be clicking with the starters.  Still a close call that will probly be second-guessed, if not reversed, a time or two this season.  Jeudy does appear to be Teddy's favorite target--but he hit Hamler across the short middle for the TD, too.

Javonte Williams got my attention in the first preseason game, but he didn't do anything to keep it in the second.  Frankly, he didn't look any better than Royce Freeman, and that's not a good thing.  On 1st and goal from the 1, Freeman got the first carry, failed, and then Williams got the second carry, failed, and fumbled into the hands of an offensive lineman who scored the TD.  So yeah, Bridgewater might have won the QB competition, but nobody really won the backup RB job in this game.  I think it's probly best to just let someone else deal with Broncos players this season.

Seattle din't play many starters, so the only thing we learned in this game is that Chris Carson and Russell Wilson have zero competition for their starting jobs.

Colts and Vikings.

Not many starters played on either side, but I continue to be impressed by the Colts' backfield.  Or their offensive line.  Or a combination of the two.  Mack only saw a couple of snaps before he retired for the night as well, but Hines and Wilkins both look almost like RB1s themselves.  Who cares who their QB is; this group looks like they could pick up 2500 yards on the ground this season.  I only noticed Pittman when he dropped a pass.

Vikings lined Irv Smith, Jr. up as a WR at times, and he was targeted often by Cousins.  Thielen limped off after the first series, later reported to have a thigh bruise after taking a knee to the thigh on his first target.  Must not be too serious, since we haven't heard anything about it since then.

Ravens and Panthers.

If CMC gets hurt again, the Panthers are in trouble.  Chuba Hubbard was given a lot of run, but was pretty underwhelming after failing on three carries at the goalline, and then losing a fumble at midfield a few plays later.  He did look better in the passing game than he did on the ground.

Sam Darnold came out for his first play in his first preseason action of the year, and literally stared down Robby Anderson for a couple of seconds before somehow completing a 16 yard pass to him despite the ultra-telegraphing of it.  And then Robby came out for the rest of the night, but I think it's safe to say that Darnold has his eye on his old Jet buddy.  lol

There wasn't much to see in the Ravens' passing game, as Jackson and the starting receivers sat out the game, but the RB competition was spirited.  J.K. Dobbins looked a little better than he did in the first preseason game (not too hard to look better than 3 carries for 0 yards), with a couple of 4-5 yard runs, but also a couple of stuffs, to finish with 8 yards on 4 carries.  Gus Edwards looked quite a bit better, turning his 4 carries into 28 yards.  It was particularly telling when Dobbins got stuffed for a 1 yard loss on 2nd and 2 when his circle button didn't work, and then Dobbins came in on 3rd and 3 and pushed the pile for a first down.

59 minutes ago, DrG said:

Irv Smith might be a safer pick than CJU

Smith drew a lot of targets, but let's not get carried away.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:20 PM, nobody said:

Aiyuk isn't a top 12 receiver if Deebo is healthy, but Deebo won't stay healthy, so Aiyuk is going to get targets

Tried to warn you guys.

Just now, nobody said:

Tried to warn you guys.

I don't see anything in there warning us about Aiyuk's Week 1 hamstring injury...?

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I don't see anything in there warning us about Aiyuk's Week 1 hamstring injury...?

Stick to those guns.  Deebo will get hurt eventually.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Deebo will get hurt eventually.

I hope not; it's good for Aiyuk to have him on the field.