Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Pre-Season Overreactions/Observations

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

The word of Axe Elf is as close to a guarantee as any of us come in this business.

Only in August, when December comes around it’s worthless. 

10 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The Eagles started their 2nd team defense.  Michel played against the 3rd team defense.  I wouldn't put too much stock into player production in last nights' game.

Hence, overreaction?

Can we please put Jaret Patterson in the preseason hall of fame already?  What else does this man need to do?

Based on the score from the Pats Vs Eagles, the Pats should be the very first def drafted.  

I don't know why you would ever run a QB sneak in preseason.  You're just risking your QB, and why not get your runningback some goalline reps?  Even backup QBs are valuable.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Can we please put Jaret Patterson in the preseason hall of fame already?  What else does this man need to do?

PATTERSON WITH THE TD!@#@!#@!#

JAR-ET 

PATT-ER-SON

clap, clap,...clap-clap-clap

JAR-ET 

PATT-ER-SON

I wanted to like Thaddeus Moss, but that guy just looks like he has a ton of attitude problems.

First time I've ever seen Jacques Patrick at runningback for the Bengals.  That's a big guy.  Runs very upright and doesn't seem to have great balance, but damn, he's big.  Looks like a defensive end out there running the ball against these 4th stringers.

Well, no reason to watch this Washington - Cincy game any more.

Final line for my guy Jaret Patterson in about 2 quarters of work...

16 rushes for 71 yards 1TD, 3 catches for 25 yards on 3 targets, and 1 kickoff return for 37 yards.

I find it interesting that they keep giving him so many touches over guys like Peyton Barber and Jonathan Williams.  I assume that means they want to see if he holds up under a heavy load with such a small frame, and, of course, he's a fan favorite and he's probably not touching the ball in the regular season, so why not?

Should also mention he got several carries in the 2 minute drill at the end f the 1st half, so that probably inflated his carries.  He did convert two short yardage situations with one being a goal line carry in the 3rd, but both were out of the shotgun so he's not getting any of that work in a normal game (obviously).

Man, Mahomes looked like a scrub, until he was finally benched for throwing a 2nd-quarter INT.

Probly shouldn't be drafted before the 6th.

• Haha 1

I mean I'm not saying Jaret Patterson is Barry Sanders or anything.  I'm just saying they're the same size; they look alike; they have the same running style, and maybe they're related in some way.

Why does the Redskins need to watch Barber and and J Williams run, he already knows that they look like they are running in mud.  

Did Mckissic play? 

3rd year in the league and Kyler still making rookie mistakes. On first down I watched him get flushed out of the pocket, roll out to his right, then run out of bounds to avoid defenders for like a 10 yard loss. I didn't know professional QBs still did this as opposed to just throwing the ball away.

2 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

3rd year in the league and Kyler still making rookie mistakes. On first down I watched him get flushed out of the pocket, roll out to his right, then run out of bounds to avoid defenders for like a 10 yard loss. I didn't know professional QBs still did this as opposed to just throwing the ball away.

Axually both backup QBs looked better than the starting QBs in that game.  May have had something to do with the quality of the Ds, but still...  And speaking of which, NONE of the Cards starters was really able to do anything against the Chiefs' D; I think they had something like -1 total yards on their first three series or something silly like that.  So don't sleep on the Chiefs' D.

They talked up AJ Green like he was going to be the next coming of Anquan Boldin or something for this offense, but I'll file that under "Believe It When I See It."

Jerick McKinnon (3 catches for 21 yards and a TD) and Byron Pringle (4 catches for 63 yards) continue to look good enough in the passing game to press for playing time.  I would have said that Pringle looked quite a bit better than Hardman--but Hardman did have a pretty awesome TD catch near the end of the half, so I can't say Pringle necessarily locked the WR2 slot up yet.  I think WR3 is pretty probable, however.

If McKinnon is the bad news for CEH owners, the good news is that the 1st string O-line was gifting him with some pretty good blocking in the run game.  His prospects might not be quite as bleak as I once imagined--but he's still being overdrafted when he goes early in the 2nd.  I'd rather have Chris Carson.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Axually both backup QBs looked better than the starting QBs in that game.  May have had something to do with the quality of the Ds, but still...  And speaking of which, NONE of the Cards starters was really able to do anything against the Chiefs' D; I think they had something like -1 total yards on their first three series or something silly like that.  So don't sleep on the Chiefs' D.

They talked up AJ Green like he was going to be the next coming of Anquan Boldin or something for this offense, but I'll file that under "Believe It When I See It."

Jerick McKinnon (3 catches for 21 yards and a TD) and Byron Pringle (4 catches for 63 yards) continue to look good enough in the passing game to press for playing time.  I would have said that Pringle looked quite a bit better than Hardman--but Hardman did have a pretty awesome TD catch near the end of the half, so I can't say Pringle necessarily locked the WR2 slot up yet.  I think WR3 is pretty probable, however.

If McKinnon is the bad news for CEH owners, the good news is that the 1st string O-line was gifting him with some pretty good blocking in the run game.  His prospects might not be quite as bleak as I once imagined--but he's still being overdrafted when he goes early in the 2nd.  I'd rather have Chris Carson.

None of this has anything to do with the 1 specific play I mentioned but thank you for the extra credit. Good defense or not, that should never happen.

30 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

None of this has anything to do with the 1 specific play I mentioned but thank you for the extra credit.

Hey, the universe doesn't revolve around you, pal.  I just used your comment as a segue into more detailed analysis of the Chiefs and Cardinals game.  It wasn't intended to be a personal lesson; don't flatter yourself.

Kinda like now, when I'm only parenthetically addressing you en route to commenting on Antonio Gibson's volume tonight.  He played one quarter, and was on pace for 28 carries (for 112 yards) and 8 catches (for 76 yards); which, over the course of the season, would translate into 612 touches (including 136 catches) for 3,196 scrimmage yards, if he continues to get that same level of volume throughout the season.

And people are worried about Derrick Henry having too many touches...

Still just a few quiet routes being run by the Uzomator...  Shhh...

Patterson may have some potential as a Darren Sprites type if he can handle kickoffs. Always fun to see a guy like that make something happen.

For those of you watching the Shanahan running backs, 2nd rd pick Aaron Banks is not earning the right guard spot. It’s early but he’s a potential bust. No one else stepping up there either.

10 minutes ago, DrG said:

Patterson may have some potential as a Darren Sprites type if he can handle kickoffs. Always fun to see a guy like that make something happen.

For those of you watching the Shanahan running backs, 2nd rd pick Aaron Banks is not earning the right guard spot. It’s early but he’s a potential bust. No one else stepping up there either.

He reminds me more of MJD. Just from memory I remember sproles playing around 165-175? Patterson is listed at 195. That's huge for a guy that short.

8 hours ago, nobody said:

Well, no reason to watch this Washington - Cincy game any more.

Final line for my guy Jaret Patterson in about 2 quarters of work...

16 rushes for 71 yards 1TD, 3 catches for 25 yards on 3 targets, and 1 kickoff return for 37 yards.

I find it interesting that they keep giving him so many touches over guys like Peyton Barber and Jonathan Williams.  I assume that means they want to see if he holds up under a heavy load with such a small frame, and, of course, he's a fan favorite and he's probably not touching the ball in the regular season, so why not?

Should also mention he got several carries in the 2 minute drill at the end f the 1st half, so that probably inflated his carries.  He did convert two short yardage situations with one being a goal line carry in the 3rd, but both were out of the shotgun so he's not getting any of that work in a normal game (obviously).

I hate having a late draft. I had my eye on him going undrafted, then I could snag him in week 1 wavers. Now the cats gonna be out of the bag. (12 team, 3 round rookie draft)

10 hours ago, nobody said:

I mean I'm not saying Jaret Patterson is Barry Sanders or anything.  I'm just saying they're the same size; they look alike; they have the same running style, and maybe they're related in some way.

Uh-Oh. There is a Rotoblurb out now about your boy. If it wasn’t already the cat is officially out of the bag..

Just to be clear, this is probably a DeAngelo Henderson situation in regards to Jaret Patterson.  

Who is DeAngelo Henderson you ask?  He was a small runningback that blew up in the preseason with the Broncos around 2017 and then faded into the abyss.

21 minutes ago, nobody said:

Just to be clear, this is probably a DeAngelo Henderson situation in regards to Jaret Patterson.  

Who is DeAngelo Henderson you ask?  He was a small runningback that blew up in the preseason with the Broncos around 2017 and then faded into the abyss.

Blasphemy! Patterson is gonna eat lightning and crap thunder!

Bears and Bills.

The Bills looked good, ready to go.  Singletary looked good.  Moss looked good.  Diggs and Allen of course didn't play, but even Trubisky looked good, and he made Gabriel Davis and Isaiah McKenzie look good.  Even the TEs Kroft and Hollister looked good.

The Bears looked like a team that will be in contention for the #1 overall pick next year (maybe they can use it on a QB).  Damien Williams got the start and extensive playing time, but he did not make much of a case for more snaps.  They opened the game with two three-and-outs, and didn't get much better.  The only bright spot was a WR from last year's practice squad, Rodney Adams, who caught a contested deep ball for a TD, among lots of other work.

Kind of a meh game for me; I don't really have any targets on either of these teams.

6 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Bears and Bills.

The Bills looked good, ready to go.  Singletary looked good.  Moss looked good.  Diggs and Allen of course didn't play, but even Trubisky looked good, and he made Gabriel Davis and Isaiah McKenzie look good.  Even the TEs Kroft and Hollister looked good.

The Bears looked like a team that will be in contention for the #1 overall pick next year (maybe they can use it on a QB).  Damien Williams got the start and extensive playing time, but he did not make much of a case for more snaps.  They opened the game with two three-and-outs, and didn't get much better.  The only bright spot was a WR from last year's practice squad, Rodney Adams, who caught a contested deep ball for a TD, among lots of other work.

Kind of a meh game for me; I don't really have any targets on either of these teams.

The Giants own Da Bears #1 pick I believe 

Corey Davis is going to win a lot of leagues this year.  His connection with Wilson looks amazing and he has been a target monster.  

10 minutes ago, ST_Pete said:

Corey Davis is going to win a lot of leagues this year.  His connection with Wilson looks amazing and he has been a target monster.  

One problem with that theory--he plays for the Jets.

13 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Jamison Crowder played for them last year and that worked out for a lot of teams.

21 minutes ago, ST_Pete said:

Jamison Crowder played for them last year and that worked out for a lot of teams.

If you call WR39 "working out."  Solid WR3 in 16 team leagues I guess.  In points per game, he was 25th, so that would be a strong WR3 in 10-12 teamers too, I suppose.

Still, "working out" is one thing; "winning a lot of leagues" is another.

Jets and Packers.

Really not much to see from Green Bay.  They focused a lot on the running game in general and putting AJ Dillon through his paces specifically, but then, they only had 4 active WRs for the game, and a QB I'd never heard of before, so they really weren't going to learn anything in the passing game.  Good news for Aaron Jones owners though; the running game was largely pretty effective (though granted, it was against the Jets, in preseason).

Frankly, Zach Wilson looks like the best rookie QB in the NFL, through two preseason games.  He is largely hitting his targets while looking calm and prepared; he seems comfortable with the offense (limited though it may be in preseason).  That probably does bode well for Corey Davis, at least early in the season, though I wouldn't go so far as to call him a league-winner.  He's at least getting the time to work with Wilson while Mims and Moore are injured.

Tevin Coleman was still getting most of the work with the other starters, with Ty Johnson sprinkled in.  I don't know if Carter will play in the 2nd half or what, but it appears that their official depth chart is accurate at this point, with both Coleman and Johnson slotting in ahead of Carter.

I'm still on Tyler Kroft to take the TE1 job from Chris Herndon, who is perennially on everyone's sleeper list, and who never does anything once the season starts.  Kroft had 2 TDs from Wilson today, including one in which he absorbed a tough hit at the point of the catch and still held onto the ball to fall into the end zone.

A last-rounds, best-ball TE trio of Kroft, Uzomah, and OJ Howard will probly outscore Travis Kelce this season.

😮... Catching up on Packers/Jets.  Kylin Hill with Aaron Jones sitting out playing with the 1s as the 3rd down back gets a little sweep out of shotgun drawn up on 3rd and short.  

Defensive end beats his man to potentially blow up the play, but Kylin sheds the tackle attempt with a stiff arm, turns on the Jets to get around the corner destroys the angle of CJ Mosley and then runs through the safety for the TD.  

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Check out the title of the thread. 

27 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Oh look, a Gaskin 1 yard TD.

Must be resting their starters.

You can’t stop Gaskin, you can only hope to contain him.  

Diontae Johnson had Jeff Okuda beat by a legitimate 10 yards, and if Ben leads him he has an easy TD, but the throw made Johnson slow down and wait for it and Okuda and the safety converge to make the tackle after the catch.

The announcers say, "there's been a lot of questions about Roethlisbergers arm, but he didn't have any problems there!  Hahaha!"  He underthrew the man by 5 god damned yards!  He's just lucky Diontae had beat his man so badly.

That’s another reason to take AB over DJ, Qb play.  

Very simple.