Sign in to follow this  
makindollaz

Ever have a league you just can’t break through and win?

In one of my money leagues, I’ve played with the same group of owners since 2009.  14 team league re-draft, and we start 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, 1 TE and 3 FLX…along with a QB, a D/ST & a K. Because there’s 14 teams, and have a lot of RB/WR/TE starters, waivers are always pretty thin.

13th year, made the playoffs 11 times, and after this weekend my 9th trip to the semi-finals.  I’m 0-8…never even played for the championship even though I have the highest win percentage all-time in the league.

And this year, included on my roster is Ekeler, Thielen, Hockensen, E. Mitchell, J. Jones & D. Harris, who would all be starters if 100%. No idea what my starters will look like next week…scraping together waiver pickups and not much to pick from.  Will probably be 0-9 in the semis after next week.  Frustrating!!

sometimes its about your team getting hot (or in your case not) at the right time.

it is definitely strange you havnt even had a sniff given your record, 

All you can really do is put your best team on the field and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

sometimes its about your team getting hot (or in your case not) at the right time.

it is definitely strange you havnt even had a sniff given your record, 

All you can really do is put your best team on the field and let the chips fall where they may.

Not so much “a sniff” as bad luck.  A couple of those times, I just lost to a better team…I’m ok with that.  A couple of times I had a great team/great week…my opponent was just a little better.  I’ve lost games where both of us scored in the 150’s, and in the other semifinal game, the other 2 guys scored in the 70’s.  Had a couple of times (like this year) where I’m duct-taping a team together because of injuries.  Snake bitten in this league!  Maybe guys like C. Reynolds, Njoku & Peoples-Jones bail me out next weekend, but I’m not holding my breath.

What were the names over the years.  They can't be too ostentatious. 

You want something quite neutral.

For instance, a sure fire way to lose is to name your team "Best of All Time" or something.  Just go with something like Try Hards or whatever.

• Like 1

Well my patchwork team came through.  J. Jackson off waivers…Higgins, St. Brown & D. Harris crushed it.  Zeke did his thing.

Finally made it to the championship.

• Like 1

I've been in one league 10 years, 4 out of 10 teams make the playoffs, have made playoffs every year, have won once lost in finals twice and lost in semis the other 7 years, just lost in the semis again this year, it's nuts.

13 minutes ago, Donkey said:

I've been in one league 10 years, 4 out of 10 teams make the playoffs, have made playoffs every year, have won once lost in finals twice and lost in semis the other 7 years, just lost in the semis again this year, it's nuts.

I had the same track record in a league I've been in for over 20 years.  I realized, I was drafting very solid, deep, and consistent teams and not enough boom or bust guys.  I started taking more chances and the championships started coming.  The problem though is you sacrifice depth for variance, so you open yourself up to falling on your face.

• Like 1

Lots of luck in fantasy football.  I have a guy in my 20+ year league and only been in the championship once and lost.  He's consistently made the playoffs during this span.

Sometime it is what it is.  Luck.

6 hours ago, nobody said:

I had the same track record in a league I've been in for over 20 years.  I realized, I was drafting very solid, deep, and consistent teams and not enough boom or bust guys.  I started taking more chances and the championships started coming.  The problem though is you sacrifice depth for variance, so you open yourself up to falling on your face.

this is a simple but great point, definitely something I will give a lot of thought to.