Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

NFL Changes Overtime Rules for Playoffs

I agree with M Tomlin and some other head coaches, go back to the old format of sudden death.  

I think this new rule will just be another bad ideal.  Now the team that touches frost and scores a td must give the other team a shot to tie and continue playing a playoff game with another game the following week, let’s not protect the players much.  

I’m reserving judgment but I kinda liked the rule the way it was. If you march down the field and score a TD on the first possession of overtime, you deserve to win.

Stupid, just stupid...  Of course this is the NFL, so it doesn't surprise me...

And they didn’t have to extend the game any farther to get a winner.  

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

His reasoning is the exact argument to play a full normal quarter, not some contrived new system.

Will the rule change if there are 4 ties this year because they play a 10 minute overtime and the average TD drive is 4.5 minutes?

Back in the old days, when there was this thing called defense, sudden death wasn't a bad deal.

Now though, when the game is all about passing offense and big numbers, it's basically deciding the game with a coin toss.

Just give them both a possession. Winner of the flip takes either the ball first or the wind if they choose, the loser takes the other. No goofy rules about having to score a TD of go for two, except one. That is, the team that has it second can't kick a PAT or FG to tie the score.

Whichever team is ahead after they each have the ball once is the winner. If it's tied, the start kicking FGs, like penalty kicks in a soccer game. Start at the current PAT placement, and then move it back 10 yards after each team kicks until it's broken. If both teams miss, then you kick from the same spot again.

Kicking fg to decide the out come of a playoff game just doesn’t seem right.  

Unless it’s sudden death

On 3/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Will the rule change if there are 4 ties this year because they play a 10 minute overtime and the average TD drive is 4.5 minutes?

My bad, I thought the playoff overtime games were 10 minutes (like the regular season).  So, 15 minute quarters... the net result then would be the team who gets the ball first will have 2 possessions and the team who gets it second, gets 1.  So fill me in on how this new rule doesn't favor the team who wins the coin toss?

I'm glad they voted the rule change in.  Me-thinks if the coin-flip winning team goes in and scores a TD, the opposing coach SHOULD go for 2 and for the win, if they are able to score a TD.  Because otherwise you're putting a tired defense on the field, and now you lose with a field goal scored against you.

2 hours ago, Bills04 said:

I'm glad they voted the rule change in.  Me-thinks if the coin-flip winning team goes in and scores a TD, the opposing coach SHOULD go for 2 and for the win, if they are able to score a TD.  Because otherwise you're putting a tired defense on the field, and now you lose with a field goal scored against you.

I don't think that'll reduce the rate at which the first team scores.  Teams make a 2-pt conv only 50% of the time, but they make an XP 90% of the times.  Odds still favor the team who gets the ball.  They say that the team who wins the coin toss, wins 80% of the OT games... if this drops it to 70%, is that enough to say "Good, we've settled this"?  I don't think so.

2 hours ago, Bills04 said:

No one will ever be happy.  

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think that'll reduce the rate at which the first team scores.  Teams make a 2-pt conv only 50% of the time, but they make an XP 90% of the times.  Odds still favor the team who gets the ball.  They say that the team who wins the coin toss, wins 80% of the OT games... if this drops it to 70%, is that enough to say "Good, we've settled this"?  I don't think so.

Agreed.