Sign in to follow this  
edjr

MBTA to close Orange line for 30 days

1 of the 4 main subways in Boston. Just shutting it down forĀ 30 days and replacing with busses šŸ˜Ā 

This is so Massachusetts.

Ā 

Orange Line trains will stop running for a month, starting the night of Aug. 19, to accelerate work on the beleaguered line, officials announced Wednesday, outlining shuttle buses and other alternatives.

Ā 

It's not dangerous till August 19th, not today.Ā  :doh:Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

BOSTON (AP) ā€” Transit officials are taking what they are describing as the ā€œunprecedentedā€ step of shuttering one of Bostonā€™s four major subway lines for 30 days to allow for track and signal work ā€” the latest in a string of frustrating developments for Boston-area commuters who have suffered through fires, stalled trains and subway slowdowns.

The Orange Line shutdown will begin Aug. 19 at 9 p.m. with service resuming at 5 a.m. Sept. 19. The announcement comes as the Federal Transit Administration has stepped up oversight of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

Gov. Charlie Baker said Wednesday that the work will result in ā€œlong term benefits on a much shorter time frameā€ for riders.

ā€œThese 30 days will also provide the T with the opportunity to accomplish a large amount of work that will result in substantially improved service for riders, fewer delays and faster Orange Line trips,ā€ he said. ā€œAt the end of those 30 days, we also anticipate that the entire Orange Line will be a fleet made up primarily of new cars.ā€

Ā 

America needs to invest more in high speed trainsĀ 

I used to ride the Orange to Celtics games from Forrest Hills.Ā  Would occasionally jump off at Ruggles to see the Northeastern people, or just walk to Fenway.Ā  Saw a lotta rats and lotta fights over the years. My boys first non Thomas train ride was big orange. Good times.

16 hours ago, PIK 95 said:

I used to ride the Orange to Celtics games from Forrest Hills.Ā  Would occasionally jump off at Ruggles to see the Northeastern people, or just walk to Fenway.Ā  Saw a lotta rats and lotta fights over the years. My boys first non Thomas train ride was big orange. Good times.

I usually take the Orange line from Sullivan Square to the Garden when I'm going to B's or C's games. Only a 10 minute ride, and saves huge time and $$ on parking at or near the Garden.Ā :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

I usually take the Orange line from Sullivan Square to the Garden when I'm going to B's or C's games. Only a 10 minute ride, and saves huge time and $$ on parking at or near the Garden.Ā :thumbsup:

I come from the north shore and work in Boston. Sometimes I drive to Wellington and take train to Back Bay. Sometimes I take the commuter railĀ to North Station and then orange line to Back Bay.

Luckily this will only affect me if it rains, but it doesn't rain ever anymore, so I should be good to scoot to work till it snows

When I go to Fenway, I park at the Prudential and walk over. ($20 to park)

Didn't ride the subway too much when I was there, and almost never the orange line -- I lived closest to the red (Kendall Square / MIT), and took that occasionally to Harvard Square or the Green Line (Copley, BU area, Kenmore, Fenway, Gahden/Haymarket).