WhiteWonder

2023 Draft and Season Discussion

4 hours ago, Mookz said:

That would be awesome. 🙏

Good luck @Burt 🙏

Same to you. For what its worth, I think you got me. My Brave SPs, unless Strider pitches 3 times this week, are pretty blah.  My hitters are very good, but not good enough to sweep you in hitting.

I was overseas last week and dropped the ball on starting times with the time difference. I can take comfort in the fact it would not have mattered at all. 

Good luck to both you guys in the finals 

Quite literally hitting vs pitching.  Wow.  What a season baseball has been this year.  Looking forward to the playoffs starting on Tuesday.  Was hoping the Mariners would boot Houston fully out but oh well.
Congrats Burt on the Championship.

12 hours ago, Burt said:

Thanks. A very surprising win indeed.

Congrats man, the Braves deserved every bit of that. :cheers:

What a pathetic effort by the Os offense.  Did not hit all week, and especially after clinching on Thursday, they threw in the towel and played spring training games all weekend, almost flaunting how little the games meant to them.  Meanwhile the Braves clinched much earlier but seemed to still be running their standard lineup out there, with guys scrapping for personal records, milestones and generally trying to win.  I could understand the Os resting up if they were playing in the wild card round, but they now have five full days off after a week of not hitting.  I guess they think they can just suddenly turn it on when the playoffs start.  I kind of hope they get bounced in the first round.  <_<

6 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Congrats man, the Braves deserved every bit of that. :cheers:

What a pathetic effort by the Os offense.  Did not hit all week, and especially after clinching on Thursday, they threw in the towel and played spring training games all weekend, almost flaunting how little the games meant to them.  Meanwhile the Braves clinched much earlier but seemed to still be running their standard lineup out there, with guys scrapping for personal records, milestones and generally trying to win.  I could understand the Os resting up if they were playing in the wild card round, but they now have five full days off after a week of not hitting.  I guess they think they can just suddenly turn it on when the playoffs start.  I kind of hope they get bounced in the first round.  <_<

Much appreciated.  I was kind of worried Snit would rest players, too.  I think (hope) he made the right call playing the regulars up through the final game.  Baseball is a game of routine.  I'm not a huge fan of having almost a week off in the first place (although our pitching staff could use the time!), but to extend that time by giving days off right ahead of it could disrupt that routine.

I'm actually rooting for the O's in the AL this postseason. It's a great story!  I'd love to see an ATL-BAL World Series. 

59 minutes ago, Burt said:

Much appreciated.  I was kind of worried Snit would rest players, too.  I think (hope) he made the right call playing the regulars up through the final game.  Baseball is a game of routine.  I'm not a huge fan of having almost a week off in the first place (although our pitching staff could use the time!), but to extend that time by giving days off right ahead of it could disrupt that routine.

I'm actually rooting for the O's in the AL this postseason. It's a great story!  I'd love to see an ATL-BAL World Series. 

Well if the Os make it that far, then I may be back on board.  Definitely like the Braves' chances.  :thumbsup:

congrats to Burt but also my condolences to my AL East brother.  Braves won last year and definitely beat my Rays in the finals a few years back. I was absolutely pulling for the O's. 

@Mookz , hopefully we are fighting for AL supremacy for the next decade :cheers:

but man, im getting tired of winning 99+ games and falling flat on our faces in the wildcard round 

20 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

congrats to Burt but also my condolences to my AL East brother.  Braves won last year and definitely beat my Rays in the finals a few years back. I was absolutely pulling for the O's. 

@Mookz , hopefully we are fighting for AL supremacy for the next decade :cheers:

but man, im getting tired of winning 99+ games and falling flat on our faces in the wildcard round 

I did briefly consider just being happy that the Os are relevant again instead of being a whiny little ######, but decided against it. :D  I needed these five days to grieve but I think I'm ready to root for them again. 

But yeah, the Os should be decent at least as long as these young players are under their control, I have no expectation that they'll sign any of them before free agency.  After that it will be a matter of praying they go to an unrepped team.  🙏

And yep, I didn't realize it, but @Burt is the first repeat champeen.  :first:  :first:  Which reminds me to update the league history thread... 

• Like 1

I guess the one silver lining is Glasnow remains exclusive :(.   Sad to watch all my favorite Rays leave these last few seasons. 

Its even sadder to watch the Dodgers horde every big name free agent and traded player while the Braves sit back and trade for players like Carpenter and Marco Gonzalez, and then turn around and trade them away yet keep paying their contract.  I think they're forgetting they need another starting pitcher with a career ERA under 5.00.

On 12/17/2023 at 1:30 AM, Burt said:

Its even sadder to watch the Dodgers horde every big name free agent and traded player while the Braves sit back and trade for players like Carpenter and Marco Gonzalez, and then turn around and trade them away yet keep paying their contract.  I think they're forgetting they need another starting pitcher with a career ERA under 5.00.

i dont disagree that they need a pitcher but i'm also not going to feel sorry for a team that brought in a stud catcher last year while still keeping dArnaud, and replaced freddie with Matt freaking Olson.

what I wouldn't give to bring in established players instead of the continuous cycle of prospects that we develop and then trade away.

Rays tend to win a lot of their trades but Snell did just win another cy young (even if it was a lot of fluke metrics) and Glasnow feels like a guy who will finally stay healthy and be an all-star