WhiteWonder

2023 Draft and Season Discussion

Hoerner isn't the sexy pick (or even the player I really wanted), but he's playing better than any of my other SS at the moment, plus he fills a need (SB).

There were definitely some hitters I considered... but even without the same level of star power as some other teams, the Rays are doing a great job hitting home runs, scoring and stealing bases this year. when I look at the offensive categories, singles are where my team struggles. Arraez was tempting, but he really only contributes in 1 category in this format. Maybe doubles as well....

It seemed more important to fortify my bullpen considering I lost Boxberger early on, Floro was only temporarily the closer in Miami, Fairbanks has been on and off the IL, I messed up and didn't add Nick Anderson quick enough after rosters were loaded, and the Rays pen has not exactly been as stellar as previous seasons. Duran should help in Saves, as well as helping a tad with ERA, WHIP and K's from the RP position. 

@Mookz to finish it off 

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

@Mookz to finish it off 

Sorry about that, currently stewing.  You all did a good job picking the bones clean. 😂

I felt like I needed to double up SP.  With Robbie Ray gone early on, Luis Severino not really doing much when he finally did get back and Alex Manoah imploding this year my 3 top starters immediately put me in a hole.  Hopefully the 2 later can do something to help but I have more faith in my hitting turning it up with the Jays lineup of Guerrero, Springer, Varsho in all categories.  I'm happy with what I'm getting from Semien and Bichette obviously but even Jose Ramirez isn't at his normal levels.  The hot/cold rest of the batters I'll have to deal with but I just can't deal with this pitching hole anymore.  Bring on the rotational flood. 

Felt like there was way more pitching available in the supp than hitting.  I knew I wanted a starter in the first round and was pretty happy to get Mitch Keller.  Second round was tough, could have gone closer but all the good relievers had been taken.  Had a slight inkling to go with Bryce Harper just in case Judge never makes it back, but if he does, then I'd have to sit a pretty good Os outfielder (Hays, Mullins or Santander) nightly, and how much would I really gain from that?  Ended up going with clot boy just to confuse myself (Merrill Kelly, Mitch Keller).  Hopefully he'll have no further complications. :( 🙏

I had to bolster my pitching staff.  The Cards starters have been putrid (but seeing life from Flaherty, Mikolas, and Montgomery).  Getting Lopez helps with Al’s and quality starts and Diaz helps stabilize the RP corp.  

I have a bunch of multi positional players available for trade if anyone is interested.  

Edman, Donovan, DeJong,  heck - basically anyone on my roster. I need OF’ers!

53 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Felt like there was way more pitching available in the supp than hitting.  I knew I wanted a starter in the first round and was pretty happy to get Mitch Keller.  Second round was tough, could have gone closer but all the good relievers had been taken.  Had a slight inkling to go with Bryce Harper just in case Judge never makes it back, but if he does, then I'd have to sit a pretty good Os outfielder (Hays, Mullins or Santander) nightly, and how much would I really gain from that?  Ended up going with clot boy just to confuse myself (Merrill Kelly, Mitch Keller).  Hopefully he'll have no further complications. :( 🙏

I think I would have gone Bryce, because you know that there will be an extended slump sometime from one of those outfielders...

But that is just me...  You are the one in first, so you are doing something right...

4 minutes ago, posty said:

I think I would have gone Bryce, because you know that there will be an extended slump sometime from one of those outfielders...

But that is just me...  You are the one in first, so you are doing something right...

Yeah. :( 

We shall see. Harper has injury issues of his own, but if he comes back strong the rest of the year I may be kicking myself. 

Definitely thought of Bryce myself.  True to form Bryce would have been an upgrade over any of my OF but like you rotating the hot guy with what I've got should get me categories.  I'm sitting to where I "should" be able to make a run but then I could also plummet. 

13 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Yeah. :( 

We shall see. Harper has injury issues of his own, but if he comes back strong the rest of the year I may be kicking myself. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Judge is done for the year

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

:wall:

Like a lot of you, I had to fortify pitching. Losing Jeffrey Springs and Drew Rasmussen for the year was a big blow to my top end SPs and my depth. Especially Springs, who cost a 3rd round pick, while I get to watch Eovaldi be dominant and Alex Cobb be pretty good too. McClanahan is having back issues and i'd prefer the Rays not rush him back for real life purposes. Glasnow recently had cramping issues too. Gallen has been amazing for me and Blake Snell has been money for the past month and a half but I feel like i'm losing SPs left and right. Adding Joe Ryan means that even with my losses, I now sit with:

Gallen, Snell, Morton, Ryan, McClanahan (15 day IL), Eflin, Glasnow, Bradley and Chirinos

I feel pretty good with that rotation

Adding Duran to Fairbanks should offset the fact that Floro is no longer closing games and Alvarado, when not on the IL, seems like he may have fully lost that role to Kimbrel.  I should have enough holds between Adam, Poche, Floro and Alvarado once he comes back. Plus Kevin Kelly of the Rays. 

Offensively, like mentioned before, my biggest weakness is singles. Luis Arraez would have helped and I could have played him at 1st or 2nd. I may kick myself for not adding any more offense if the Rays offense as a whole takes a nose dive. Aside from J-Rod and Willy Adames, I am totally reliant on the depth and current production of the Rays offense (minus Randy Land).

8 minutes ago, Mookz said:

:wall:

the Yankees seem confident it wont end his season.  He will probably be back, i'm just not shocked. Guy was always injured prior to like 2021. He had 2 seasons of good health and one of them was when he bet on himself for a gigantic payday. :dunno:.  Yes, I'm a Yankee hater but I don't have anything against Judge.... actually funny to watch the Yankees screw themselves into a no win situation after the season he had in 2022. 

57 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

My thought as well...

46 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

the Yankees seem confident it wont end his season.  He will probably be back, i'm just not shocked. Guy was always injured prior to like 2021. He had 2 seasons of good health and one of them was when he bet on himself for a gigantic payday. :dunno:.  Yes, I'm a Yankee hater but I don't have anything against Judge.... actually funny to watch the Yankees screw themselves into a no win situation after the season he had in 2022. 

Yeah, I think they want him back pretty badly as they're still in contention, as opposed to a team who's so far out of it that they just shut him down.  So they'll do everything they can to make that happen.
This is actually his second injury this year.  He hurt his hip flopping into third base on a totally unnecessary stolen base attempt and missed a bunch of games. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, posty said:

My thought as well...

Just yank the focking thing off with a pair of vise grips and get back out there. :mad:

• Haha 1

Well, between grabbing Kirby and the Tigers soon to not have 8 starting pitchers on the DL at the same time (yes, this was an actual thing...and a 9th starter had just taken a liner off of his knee at the same time) I can at least count on the pitching to be better. I didn't feel Harper as he has played so far to be enough of an upgrade in the OF to be worth passing on a position (C) that has been worth absolutely nothing for my team in the first half.

3 hours ago, lambert58 said:

I need OF’ers!

HAVE OF'ers - Soler, Harris, Duvall, Ozuna, Rosario, Peterson.  I'd like to have a SP or a closer.  Whatcha say?

Interesting :  cardinals game was suspended yesterday evening in the 3rd.    Resumed the game this afternoon.  Stats aren’t updating on any of my players for today or for yesterdays game.   Example: Donovan hit a HR.  He is in my starting lineup but not showing up for today or yesterday.  

26 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

Interesting :  cardinals game was suspended yesterday evening in the 3rd.    Resumed the game this afternoon.  Stats aren’t updating on any of my players for today or for yesterdays game.   Example: Donovan hit a HR.  He is in my starting lineup but not showing up for today or yesterday.  

You won't see the stats update for the suspended game...  The stats will be processed Sunday evening/Monday morning of the last day of the gaming "week" when the final stat feed comes in and will be updated as "Stat Corrections"...  Since this week is longer, it won't update until July 23 evening/July 24 morning...

It has always been like this...

5 hours ago, posty said:

You won't see the stats update for the suspended game...  The stats will be processed Sunday evening/Monday morning of the last day of the gaming "week" when the final stat feed comes in and will be updated as "Stat Corrections"...  Since this week is longer, it won't update until July 23 evening/July 24 morning...

It has always been like this...

The one thing I would wish for from Yahoo would be to unlock players between games of a doubleheader. 🙏

2 hours ago, Mookz said:

The one thing I would wish for from Yahoo would be to unlock players between games of a doubleheader. 🙏

Hell, they can't even unlock players for the following day until after midnight Alaska time. Every other host site can, but not Yahoo. 

19 hours ago, Burt said:

Hell, they can't even unlock players for the following day until after midnight Alaska time. Every other host site can, but not Yahoo. 

I don't really notice this issue... perhaps when I do drops and adds while games are going on its someone who didnt start that day or was not in my lineup? I think the only time i've got a notification not allowing me to make a move was for a pitcher who was locked in and pitching. 

edit:  I just added Taj Bradley for Evan Longoria and Longoria is locked for today (and started).  I tried dropping Eflin but got the message he was locked, as I suspected with pitchers. 

Trade deadline - Blue Jays are becoming Cardinals lite... not helping my fantasy roster at all when everyone is already on the same team.
Genesis Cabrera, Jordan Hicks, Paul DeJong.  Can't complain across the board the exchange for the MLB club.  Sam Robberse and Adam Kloffenstein could be solid MLB starters as early as next year.  Especially in a STL system that generally does well with pitchers.  Although no Yadi anymore, maybe that was the whole reason?  But I'll never get to have them on the Jays in the future as they never made it to the show.

Rays added Aaron Civale, but gave up one of, if not our top prospect to Cleveland. 

From a fantasy perspective, I get another exclusive SP option. Should be serviceable next year too as I assume Springs recovery will linger into next season. 

From a real life perspective, it makes sense to add another SP when you've seen Springs and Ramussen go down with injuries, had a scare with Eflin, McClanahan has had some minor issues and Glasnow hasn't been back very long..... and Taj had shown flashes but is sitting at a 5.7 ERA. He has the talent but you don't want to HAVE to rely on him for the playoffs if you don't need to. 

I will assume this club knows what it's doing trading away a top prospect... though they traded away Joe Ryan a few years ago to bring in Nelson Cruz as a rental :cry:. I was sort of hoping they might be in on a David Robertson reunion. Probably would have come cheap and would have solidified the back end of the bullpen behind Fairbanks. 

Best of luck to all who made the playoffs.  🙏

@WhiteWonder let's take this week to decompress and look toward the semis. 🙏

1 hour ago, Mookz said:

Best of luck to all who made the playoffs.  🙏

@WhiteWonder let's take this week to decompress and look toward the semis. 🙏

I was looking at the Rays schedule. If I make it to the final, whoever plays me will be the champ. 2 days off the final week 😂 

Excited to start the playoffs with a day off 😂 

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Excited to start the playoffs with a day off 😂 

Weird scheduling all year, I dunno if it was rainouts or what, but it would be like "the Os are just two games back of the Rays, but they're tied in the loss column". :huh:

tough way for the Firars to lose. by a single. 

2 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Yep damn. Also didn’t have my phone on me. So didn’t see tucker getting the day off

I feel your pain. I just lost a playoff game in my keeper league that way.  I led 7-3 as of Friday night, but he chipped away at a couple of categories.  Heading into the final game of the night tonight, we were tied 5-5.  I had the higher seed so I would have advanced in a tie. I led him by ONE run and he had Carroll and Happ yet to play.  All he needed was that one run to tie the category for a 5-4-1 win.  He got exactly one run and ruined my shot at a 3-peat. 🤬

Having Freeman, Acuna, Tucker and Robert all sitting today didn't help my cause. 

Here's my boxscore.

1 hour ago, Burt said:

I feel your pain. I just lost a playoff game in my keeper league that way.  I led 7-3 as of Friday night, but he chipped away at a couple of categories.  Heading into the final game of the night tonight, we were tied 5-5.  I had the higher seed so I would have advanced in a tie. I led him by ONE run and he had Carroll and Happ yet to play.  All he needed was that one run to tie the category for a 5-4-1 win.  He got exactly one run and ruined my shot at a 3-peat. 🤬

Having Freeman, Acuna, Tucker and Robert all sitting today didn't help my cause. 

Here's my boxscore.

ouch

I was down like 14-3 on Friday so I had already wrote it off

Jays getting pummeled by the Rangers this week cost me badly.  I still had an outside chance in about 6 categories heading into Sunday but really wasn't that hopeful.  Good clawing win bbascom.  Good luck to all in the run.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:17 AM, GuardBum said:

Jays getting pummeled by the Rangers this week cost me badly.  I still had an outside chance in about 6 categories heading into Sunday but really wasn't that hopeful.  Good clawing win bbascom.  Good luck to all in the run.

And this week it is my turn to get pummeled by the Rangers...ugh. Hanging around for now...7-7...but a day off for just about everyone tomorrow won't help. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Well, better luck next year 

1 hour ago, GuardBum said:

Preview to the world series if you ask me.

That would be awesome. 🙏

Good luck @Burt 🙏