Sign in to follow this  
bostonlager

***2023 Fantasy Geek Balls League*** Season Thread

On 8/21/2023 at 4:36 PM, WhiteWonder said:

8/31 has not had any objections yet.

We had some people wanting a slower draft in threads here and some people who don't want injuries to come into play. Unfortunately, can't have both. In order to do a slow draft we would really have to start ASAP with the shiit show we all know that would be. If injuries are a concern, I would suggest just sticking with a live draft in the ESPN or Yahoo draft room like we did last year. That was VERY smooth. 

@WhiteWonder

@bostonlager

This was brought up.  Do we want to start a slow draft, and maybe finish it on 8/31?  

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

@WhiteWonder

@bostonlager

This was brought up.  Do we want to start a slow draft, and maybe finish it on 8/31?  

We've waiting this long, might as well wait until 8/31. I personally am using this time to study using my draft spot. 

20 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

We've waiting this long, might as well wait until 8/31. I personally am using this time to study using my draft spot. 

no problem... just asking :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

@WhiteWonder

@bostonlager

personally, no. I have zero interest in a slow draft. Our 11 man golf drafts sometimes drag on to get through  6 rounds. I don't see it going well at all. 

I would have been fine finding out my draft slot 30 minutes before the draft. Now, those who need to can prep for their slot and we can just have a quick draft on 8/31

59 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

personally, no. I have zero interest in a slow draft. Our 11 man golf drafts sometimes drag on to get through  6 rounds. I don't see it going well at all. 

I would have been fine finding out my draft slot 30 minutes before the draft. Now, those who need to can prep for their slot and we can just have a quick draft on 8/31

We draft 66 guys in 2 days.  at that rate 192 would only take 6. 

Slow drafts are a lot more fun for FF than golf.  Imagine Ed drafting all the fat face foks in football.  

1 hour ago, Horseman said:

Slow drafts are a lot more fun for FF than golf.  Imagine Ed drafting all the fat face foks in football.  

1.12 JaMarcus Russel
2.01 Jerome Bettis

Coach - Rex Ryan

• Haha 1

Everyone text me your pick :wacko: 

2 hours ago, Horseman said:

I agree it’s more fun but I’m terrified of an injury in the middle of the draft. Not just for my team but anyone. It semi ruins things before we even kickoff. I’d also like to see the Jon Taylor situation play itself out beforehand. 

53 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I agree it’s more fun but I’m terrified of an injury in the middle of the draft. Not just for my team but anyone. It semi ruins things before we even kickoff. I’d also like to see the Jon Taylor situation play itself out beforehand. 

Meh. Injuries happen, deciding what do do with disgruntled players is strategy. Although I dont like the idea that someone could come on the clock after a major injury and be gifted a starter because if it.  I just think a 12 team slow boat draft in these forums will be a shiit show, especially when we know we have roughly 13 days. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, much like my thought with most of the settings etc. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Although I dont like the idea that someone could come on the clock after a major injury and be gifted a starter because if it. 

That's a good point, if it happened.  

8 minutes ago, Horseman said:

That's a good point, if it happened.  

Correct. No slow draft

9 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

also looks like the league is set up as 1rb and 2 flex. i hope we keep it as 2 rbs and 1 flex.

there was a vote on it... we will have to dig it up

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

how many rounds?

4 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

there was a vote on it... we will have to dig it up

I see that other thread..now. Doesnt look like a vote. Its fine if thats what people want, but imo, its stupid. rb is already devalued, we are devaluing more. draft is just bpa.

13 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I see that other thread..now. Doesnt look like a vote. Its fine if thats what people want, but imo, its stupid. rb is already devalued, we are devaluing more. draft is just bpa.

I can understand what you are saying.  Having only 1 required RB is an adjustment to the devalued back.  it will offer more flexibility to everyone.

29 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I can understand what you are saying.  Having only 1 required RB is an adjustment to the devalued back.  it will offer more flexibility to everyone.

I think it limits flexibilty...to wr heavy

17 hours ago, Herbivore said:

also looks like the league is set up as 1rb and 2 flex. i hope we keep it as 2 rbs and 1 flex.

Dumb

13 hours ago, Herbivore said:

I think it limits flexibilty...to wr heavy

You can still start a 2nd rb. You are not limited to 1.

you get to weigh it against your other options. 

More flexible, less skill to execute.  But I'm not going to argue it anymore until after the draft as not to give up draft strategy.  

I'm starting to think this was one and done.

55 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

You can still start a 2nd rb. You are not limited to 1.

you get to weigh it against your other options. 

you have almost 0 urgency at rb..it will make it too wr heavy

36 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

you have almost 0 urgency at rb..it will make it too wr heavy

the role of rb has changed in the NFL. having a 2nd fixed lineup slot for rb disproportionally inflates their value And we are really talking about rb 2,3,4)

47 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

the role of rb has changed in the NFL. having a 2nd fixed lineup slot for rb disproportionally inflates their value And we are really talking about rb 2,3,4)

I dont agree. With 24 starting rbs, you value them properly. You also need to manage your team to have a complete stable, for injuries and bye weeks. With the scoring changes in general, wr vs rb, rb is devauled from a pts perspective. We are devauling it more. I expect a way too heavy wr lean for this draft.

2 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I dont agree. With 24 starting rbs, you value them properly. You also need to manage your team to have a complete stable, for injuries and bye weeks. With the scoring changes in general, wr vs rb, rb is devauled from a pts perspective. We are devauling it more. I expect a way too heavy wr lean for this draft.

Pass friendly rules and more pervasive rbbc has reduced rb performance. forcing a 2nd rb reduces our cap on scoring

Just now, Bier Meister said:

@Herbivore

i have no need to bicker with you.

@bostonlager  was this voted on?

do we need to put it to a revote?

We can revote and I will do 2 RBs if we move to 18 roster spots. There should not be a viable starter on the waiver wire unless it is due to injuries. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

We can revote and I will do 2 RBs if we move to 18 roster spots. There should not be a viable starter on the waiver wire unless it is due to injuries. 

that is reasonable.  my preference..

1. 1rb

2. 1rb (18 man roster)

3. 2rb (18 man roster

34 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

@Herbivore

i have no need to bicker with you.

@bostonlager  was this voted on?

do we need to put it to a revote?

It is fine to keep it as is. I said that at the start. I was more chatting than bickering. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbivore said:

It is fine to keep it as is. I said that at the start. I was more chatting than bickering. 

You must be confused where you are. Bickering and politicking is FFT

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2023 at 7:54 PM, Herbivore said:

I share your sentiment. Flex is the easy way out. Don't want to make hard decisions? add a flex! Not saying this is the case here but often when people lobby to remove a static position in favor of a flex it's because they don't want to feel like they are reaching at a position or that they have to build their team with a player they are not thrilled with just to fill a position, even though every owner is in the same strategic boat. 

... but i play in leagues with multiple flex spots, so it doesnt ultimately matter to me.  The draft will be very heavy WR, as you mentioned. Plan accordingly. 

and just for the record there is still strategy with any type of lineup, just that when you add flex, it removes the hard decisions. 

On 8/25/2023 at 10:05 AM, edjr said:

I'm starting to think this was one and done.

because I am an excellent commish and too many cooks = too much confusion ;)

what I actually came here to post was....

Horsenuts finding a way to make his team logo political = least shocking thing ever, right?

48 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

... but i play in leagues with multiple flex spots, so it doesnt ultimately matter to me.  The draft will be very heavy WR, as you mentioned. Plan accordingly. 

and just for the record there is still strategy with any type of lineup, just that when you add flex, it removes the hard decisions. 

bingo.

there are still hard decisions, just different. plus injury to a rb doesn't ruin a season

did i fail to adapt last season? ;) 

it's an adaptation to the Zeitgeist, and a preference.  

32 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

bingo.

there are still hard decisions, just different. plus injury to a rb doesn't ruin a season

did i fail to adapt last season? ;) 

it's an adaptation to the Zeitgeist, and a preference.  

Much fewer hard decisions. 

If you are an FF enthusiast, you know how to play in any format. That's not really the issue. ;)

Best thing I can do is give an example. It's round 6 and you are on the clock... you have 1 QB, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1TE. There is a receiver you really like and some backs who should be their teams top guy but you're not enamored with them, you also have a back or two in mind that you think you can get later on with low floors/high ceilings.... In a league that starts 2 RB, you would have a tougher decision on whether or not to fill your flex spot with the receiver you really like and kick the can on running back, or if you should go with the safer back now so that you have some depth. You would also likely have more concern over a run on running backs before your next pick. 

In a league that starts 1 RB, your decision is made for you. You would always go with the receiver you like, who you have projected to score more points. After all, you can still pick up that later running back as nothing more than a bench player with upside. 

The more flex you add, the less you are worried about things like positional runs and the more a draft simply becomes BPA with little thought to starting roster requirements. 

@WhiteWonder

Regardless of set positions, we want to maximize our score. In your scenario, It is not a given to go with the wr. Player (and positional) value changes every year- depth changes.

We need to do what is necessary to win over the course of the season and that does not automatically mean holding 8-10 wrs

11 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

@WhiteWonder

Regardless of set positions, we want to maximize our score. In your scenario, It is not a given to go with the wr. Player (and positional) value changes every year- depth changes.

We need to do what is necessary to win over the course of the season and that does not automatically mean holding 8-10 wrs  (nowhere did I say this)

Actually it is a given. In my scenario, the WR is the player you have a higher projection for. ... I stated as such 

As you said, the goal is to maximize your score. When drafting your team, your goal is to put together the team with the highest projected point total (based on your projections). 

More flex = more BPA. More BPA = more straight projection drafting without having to worry about positional need = less tough decisions. 

It's really that simple. 

It can still be a perfectly fun league. Everyone is playing with the same rules/requirements and everyone has different projections.

I disagree with the assertions in your first three paragraphs. 

I prefer not to continue talking about this as I have strategy for each setting.

I do not have a lot of disposable time to find the vote…. But was agreeable to a revote