Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2024 Free Agency Tracker

It's crazy because Unrestricted Free Agents aren't really Unrestricted. They can still be franchise tagged. Tee Higgins is about to be tagged as well as Saquon if no deal is reached. 

Thought I read a report that Agholor re-signed with BAL (I know - an unexciting first domino to fall).  

Tampa needs to re-sign David, Winfield, and Evan.  As far as White and Mayfield are concerned?  The door is that --------> way.

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Tampa needs to re-sign David, Winfield, and Evan.  As far as White and Mayfield are concerned?  The door is that --------> way.

Who is gonna play QB?

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

Who is gonna play QB?

Signing Mayfield would be disaster. He is what he is. He'll be back to sucking, especially without Mike Evans. 

11 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Signing Mayfield would be disaster. He is what he is. He'll be back to sucking, especially without Mike Evans. 

I'm not saying he's Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady, but when the team around him is solid, he does pretty well.

I think one of the best things TB learned from having Brady there, was how important it is to build a solid system with a solid supporting cast.

If they can continue to do so, I don't think it's a bad idea to sign Baker, unless he just simply wants way too much money

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

they can continue to do so, I don't think it's a bad idea to sign Baker, unless he just simply wants way too much money

Maybe very short term but long term would be a disaster. In reality, where are they going with Mayfield? I'd rather take a shot on Fields 

I would pick Mayfield over Fields.  

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I would pick Mayfield over Fields.  

Not me. We know what Mayfield is, he's mediocre at best. I'd rather take a shot on Fields upside with a new organization and system. Even if it doesn't work out you're still in the same place as you'd be with Mayfield. 

If forced to choose between Fields and Mayfield, i'll take Baker.  They should be in the market to draft a QB, but even if they do, Baker would make a fine, Alex Smith like bridge to the next guy.

Hope the Jets can bring back Q. Jefferson, Whitehead and Bryce Huff on defense, although Huff may get expensive for his role.  I believe Legatron is a free agent as well. 

Other than that, the target should be Mike Evans. Perfect type of receiver to pair with Wilson... and hopefully they learned from last year and can target someone like a Tannehill, Minshew, Brissett as a veteran backup in the QB room.

12 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Not me. We know what Mayfield is, he's mediocre at best. I'd rather take a shot on Fields upside with a new organization and system. Even if it doesn't work out you're still in the same place as you'd be with Mayfield. 

No they would be behind.  Mayfield is the better pick.  

Just now, weepaws said:

Mayfield is the better pick.

He's never the better pick. Hell, I'd rather sign Minshew if that's their mindset. He's cheaper and a similar talent. 

17 hours ago, polecatt said:

Who is gonna play QB?

The word is that Mayfield could command a $30M+ AAV.  That's too much for a mediocre to below average starter.  Just because the Giants did that with Jones, it doesn't mean the Bucs should do the same thing.  If they're paying that kind of scratch for a QB, I'd rather spend it on Kirk Cousins.

While I think Russell Wilson is done, the fact that the Broncos are on the hook for $54M over the next 2 seasons, I'd be perfectly happy throwing $10M per year at him and get the same production than Mayfield at $30M AAV.

Then there's the draft.  From what I've read, there's like 6 guys who could be first rounders.  Tampa picks 26th.  There's no reason why they can't trade up and get "their guy" if they have one that they like.

I'd even be ok with bringing in Tannehill at $5M AAV for 2 years and giving Trask a year to see how he's developed.  Though, if he wasn't good enough last summer to beat out Mayfield, odds are he doesn't belong in the NFL.  In 2022, Tannehill had a passer rating of 91.4 and a QBR of 51.2 and the year before, he was at 89.6 and 55.9 respectively.  While both were down last year, I think the fact that the team around him was awful and were of no help.  Tampa has a very solid pass blocking OLine (it's the run blocking that blows), Tannehill will have the best receiving corp he's ever had.

I'll go one better.  I'd rather give Gardner Minshew $5M AAV for a couple years.  If you're a QBR guy, Minshew had a QBR of 59.6 last year where as Mayfield had a 54.3 and I think (pretty confident many other people do as well), that Tampa had (has), better pass catching weapons than Indy.

All of those options are better than Mayfield at $30M when not only do Evans, David, and Winfield need re-upping, but the middle of the OLine needs to be upgraded as well.  Flushing $30M down the drain on a guy who doesn't make you better... but simply keeps you afloat, isn't financially prudent.

A lot of people are trashing Derick Carr and laughing at the Saints for the deal they gave him.  In 2023, Carr had a higher passer rating (97.7), and higher QBR (56.5) than Baker Mayfield (94.6 & 54.3).

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

I'm not saying he's Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady, but when the team around him is solid, he does pretty well.

I think one of the best things TB learned from having Brady there, was how important it is to build a solid system with a solid supporting cast.

If they can continue to do so, I don't think it's a bad idea to sign Baker, unless he just simply wants way too much money

Your last sentence is the reason.  According to Spotrac.com, Mayfield's stock market value is at $27M AAV for 4 years.  I think that his agent will try to get a Daniel Jones deal because Mayfield is better than Daniel Jones.  I mean, really... who isn't better than Daniel Jones?  So IF Tampa offers what Spotrac.com shows and his agent is at $40M AAV... $27M is way too high in the first place, but if they split the difference and go with $34M, that's too much money over 4 years to give a guy who isn't a difference maker.  That's money being spent at the risk of not bringing in guys who are difference makers.

45 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

He's never the better pick. Hell, I'd rather sign Minshew if that's their mindset. He's cheaper and a similar talent. 

That would be your second mistake.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

That would be your second mistake.  

Depends on the cost.  Minshew at $5M is a better option than Mayfield at $30M.

57 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Depends on the cost.  Minshew at $5M is a better option than Mayfield at $30M.

No, winning is the better option, Minshew isn’t that.   

30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Mayfield isn't that either.

The answer is a franchise QB.  Picking at #26 isn't the best spot to get that, unless they trade up.  The team isn't trading up if they re-sign Mayfield to a $30M+ deal.  So, if the two options are... Mayfield @ $30M or Minshew @ $5M (with a trade up possible), Minshew in the better option because that's a faster path to winning.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

WeePaws, you ok?? Baker Mayfield is not your guy if thinking Superbowl. 

If not Superbowl then save yourself about 20 million a year. 

Mayfield is a lot better then a Minshew.  I wouldn’t d pay 5 million fir Minshew.  

42 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

WeePaws, you ok?? Baker Mayfield is not your guy if thinking Superbowl. 

If not Superbowl then save yourself about 20 million a year. 

I thought you wanted Fields? Now you want Minshew.  Not for me.  

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Your last sentence is the reason.  According to Spotrac.com, Mayfield's stock market value is at $27M AAV for 4 years.  I think that his agent will try to get a Daniel Jones deal because Mayfield is better than Daniel Jones.  I mean, really... who isn't better than Daniel Jones?  So IF Tampa offers what Spotrac.com shows and his agent is at $40M AAV... $27M is way too high in the first place, but if they split the difference and go with $34M, that's too much money over 4 years to give a guy who isn't a difference maker.  That's money being spent at the risk of not bringing in guys who are difference makers.

I disagree. I would sign him up for $30 million. That doesn't seem to be a whole lot for a starting QB any more. Besides, I would take any number you see thrown around about his market value with a grain of salt right now. There's no real way to know what that is until the market opens and deals are made. They almost always end up being a bit higher than speculated beforehand.

Besides, I've heard Dak Prescott is gonna ask for $60 million a season. If that level gets set for a QB that's not really any better, then Baker for $30 million this year is gonna look like a bargain.

Cousins is one option, but I would think he's gonna want more money, plus he's coming off major injury and is nearly a decade older.

Only real option I see is drafting a QB, and I don't know who that may be

11 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I thought you wanted Fields? Now you want Minshew.  Not for me.  

What?? If I'm Tampa I'd sign Minshew over Mayfield all day. Both are a temporary stop gap for their next franchise QB. Why pay Faker Mayfield 20 million when you can get essentially the same QB for much much less? Neither is winning a Superbowl anytime soon so what's the difference? 

Just now, Maximum Overkill said:

What?? If I'm Tampa I'd sign Minshew over Mayfield all day. Both are a temporary stop gap for their next franchise QB. Why pay Faker Mayfield 20 million when you can get essentially the same QB for much much less? Neither is winning a Superbowl anytime soon so what's the difference? 

Lol, not even close to the same Qb.  Minshew was awful with the Eagles when he was given the opportunity, you said so your self, and mention last season how Richardson would be the Colts starter, like I did because how bad Minshew is.  Double minded.  

Just now, weepaws said:

Lol, not even close to the same Qb.  Minshew was awful with the Eagles when he was given the opportunity, you said so your self, and mention last season how Richardson would be the Colts starter, like I did because how bad Minshew is.  Double minded.  

Minshew does suck, they both suck, that's my point exactly. Why would anyone want Mayfield? We've seen this movie play out a hundred times with him, he spins himself out everywhere he goes. 

That's why I said unless they get a shot at one of the top rookie QBs, take a shot on Fields. It's almost criminal how he was misused in Chicago. It's a free look see, no reason not to get a look. 

Baker has two playoff wins on his resume. How many available QB's have more?

9 hours ago, jrokh said:

Baker has two playoff wins on his resume. How many available QB's have more?

He's also lost 2 playoff games. 

His 2 playoffs wins were against Philly and Pittsburgh where both Philly and Pittsburgh limped into the playoffs in bad shape. 

Me and my buddies could of beat Philly this year and he almost blew the playoff game vs Pitt despite having a 28-0 lead. 

31 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I disagree. I would sign him up for $30 million. That doesn't seem to be a whole lot for a starting QB any more. Besides, I would take any number you see thrown around about his market value with a grain of salt right now. There's no real way to know what that is until the market opens and deals are made. They almost always end up being a bit higher than speculated beforehand.

Besides, I've heard Dak Prescott is gonna ask for $60 million a season. If that level gets set for a QB that's not really any better, then Baker for $30 million this year is gonna look like a bargain.

Cousins is one option, but I would think he's gonna want more money, plus he's coming off major injury and is nearly a decade older.

Only real option I see is drafting a QB, and I don't know who that may be

The issue the Bucs have is that they have $50M in cap space.  They're going to need to pony up about $25M for Evans.  Winfield is either going to get tagged and paid $11M+ or get $16M+ to be the highest paid FS in the league.  Then there's Lavonte David who's going to need about $5M+.  So, conservatively, those 3 are going to command around $40M.  Then they need to address the middle of the OLine.  They need a Center and at worst, a LG.  Sure, there's cap manipulation that can be played with, but you do that for impact players to be a contender, not mediocre/replaceable players who don't make your team better.  Giving $30M to a guy like Mayfield forces you to either not sign Mike Evans, which would be a tragic mistake or put yourself right back into future caphell that they just came out of... with a lower level of expectations.

Now, Kirk Cousins is a guy I'd give $30M+ to, even $40M.  A QB who can utilize all of the teams weapons (instead of just one), makes this team a legit contender.  That's a guy you finagle the cap for... not Baker Mayfield.  To me, ideal money for a below average starter in the NFL (which Mayfield is), is around $15M.  If he's willing to take that, then I'm happy to keep him around.  Otherwise, I'd let him test the market.  No one is going to even offer him $20M.  He's just not good enough.  Any team who "needs" a QB, like Atlanta, Vegas, Washington (?), Pittsburgh(?), would much rather draft a player, trade for Fields, or go after Cousins or Wilson.  At best, Mayfield ranks about 9th on the available QB list behind (in no particular order), Cousins, Fields, Wilson, and at least 5 of the rookies.  Is there even 9 teams that need a QB?

Atlanta  -  Trade for Fields
New England - Draft a QB
Chicago (if they trade Fields) - Draft a QB
Washington (if they move on from Howell... don't know why they would) - Keep Howell
Pittsburgh (maybe... not sure why they would either) - Keep Pickett
Vegas - Russell Wilson
Arizona?? - Keep Murray
Tennessee - Draft a QB
Minnesota - Re-sign Cousins
Denver - Draft a QB

I think I'm stretching it to get to 10 here.  That's my thinking of what happens... and there's still another QB that can be drafted.  Simply, I see no market for Mayfield.  Why pay him $30M when there's no other buyers?

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Now, Kirk Cousins is a guy I'd give $30M+ to, even $40M

Agree 💯. If they're serious about winning now then that's the route they need to go. Don't give me Baker Mayfield, he's winning them nothing. 

If not Cousins they need to make a serious run at one of the top rookies and reload or get Fields in for a look see till they find out who the next franchise QB is, it sure as hell ain't Faker. 

31 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Agree 💯. If they're serious about winning now then that's the route they need to go. Don't give me Baker Mayfield, he's winning them nothing. 

If not Cousins they need to make a serious run at one of the top rookies and reload or get Fields in for a look see till they find out who the next franchise QB is, it sure as hell ain't Faker. 

I wouldn't want Fields.  I know he's cheap this year, but his 5th year option needs to be picked up.  I'm not sure that I'd want to trade for him and then pay him $20M the following year.  To me, he's still an unknown.  If I can't get Cousins, I'd rather just trade up into the top 10 and get the guy I want.  If I think there's a future stud in the draft, I'm trading up to get him.

The Bucs have Pick #26.  According to trade value charts, the Bucs could give up picks 26 & 57 (1030 total), and assume doubling it for next years 1st and 2nd (2,060 points), and move up to #4 with Arizona.  Almost everything I've read says that Williams, Maye, and Daniels are the top 3 guys.  If Washington hangs on to Howell and takes Harrison or Nabors at #2, one of those 3 QB's will be there at #4.  I'd rather have one of them, giving up 2 1's and 2 2's, than parting with a 2nd (or more), for Fields and only having him locked in for 1 cheap and 1 extra year that isn't cheap.

In 2017, the Chiefs gave up #27, a 3rd, and a #1 the following year to move up to #10.  A pair of 1's and 2's, should be enough to get into the top 5.

7 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

He's also lost 2 playoff games. 

His 2 playoffs wins were against Philly and Pittsburgh where both Philly and Pittsburgh limped into the playoffs in bad shape. 

Me and my buddies could of beat Philly this year and he almost blew the playoff game vs Pitt despite having a 28-0 lead. 

I find your argument to be shallow and pedantic...

Cousins wants 2 yrs 90 million from Minnesota, and he considers that as a hometown discount. Good luck getting him for 30-35 mil aav...

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The issue the Bucs have is that they have $50M in cap space.  They're going to need to pony up about $25M for Evans.  Winfield is either going to get tagged and paid $11M+ or get $16M+ to be the highest paid FS in the league.  Then there's Lavonte David who's going to need about $5M+.  So, conservatively, those 3 are going to command around $40M.  Then they need to address the middle of the OLine.  They need a Center and at worst, a LG.  Sure, there's cap manipulation that can be played with, but you do that for impact players to be a contender, not mediocre/replaceable players who don't make your team better.  Giving $30M to a guy like Mayfield forces you to either not sign Mike Evans, which would be a tragic mistake or put yourself right back into future caphell that they just came out of... with a lower level of expectations.

Now, Kirk Cousins is a guy I'd give $30M+ to, even $40M.  A QB who can utilize all of the teams weapons (instead of just one), makes this team a legit contender.  That's a guy you finagle the cap for... not Baker Mayfield.  To me, ideal money for a below average starter in the NFL (which Mayfield is), is around $15M.  If he's willing to take that, then I'm happy to keep him around.  Otherwise, I'd let him test the market.  No one is going to even offer him $20M.  He's just not good enough.  Any team who "needs" a QB, like Atlanta, Vegas, Washington (?), Pittsburgh(?), would much rather draft a player, trade for Fields, or go after Cousins or Wilson.  At best, Mayfield ranks about 9th on the available QB list behind (in no particular order), Cousins, Fields, Wilson, and at least 5 of the rookies.  Is there even 9 teams that need a QB?

Atlanta  -  Trade for Fields
New England - Draft a QB
Chicago (if they trade Fields) - Draft a QB
Washington (if they move on from Howell... don't know why they would) - Keep Howell
Pittsburgh (maybe... not sure why they would either) - Keep Pickett
Vegas - Russell Wilson
Arizona?? - Keep Murray
Tennessee - Draft a QB
Minnesota - Re-sign Cousins
Denver - Draft a QB

I think I'm stretching it to get to 10 here.  That's my thinking of what happens... and there's still another QB that can be drafted.  Simply, I see no market for Mayfield.  Why pay him $30M when there's no other buyers?

I wouldn’t give Cousins that money.  I would keep Mayfield. 

Sorry, I don't get the Mayfield love. People have been infatuated with this dude since college and I can't understand why. 

No love, he’s better than Fields, Minshew, so I would  rather have him on my team.  Great no, better than those others , yes.