Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2024 NFL Draft Profile - QB Drake Maye

Nice.

I really like Maye and, as a Patriots fan, I would be pretty happy if they drafted him.

But… my one real concern, is those hands. They’re tiny for an NFL QB.

Now, I do think the measurement is a bit overblown. There are plenty of good/great QBs with “average” (for NFL starting QBs) hand size and some sh1tty QBs with huge mitts.

But generally it seems you should be at the 9 1/4” range or better, and Maye is below that.

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Nice.

I really like Maye and, as a Patriots fan, I would be pretty happy if they drafted him.

But… my one real concern, is those hands. They’re tiny for an NFL QB.

Now, I do think the measurement is a bit overblown. There are plenty of good/great QBs with “average” (for NFL starting QBs) hand size and some sh1tty QBs with huge mitts.

But generally it seems you should be at the 9 1/4” range or better, and Maye is below that.

It definitely crossed my mind to add his hand size to the negatives, but I won't sweat it with Maye any more than I did with Burrow (which was not at all). It could hurt him in cold/rainy games, but I think there is enough of a gap between Williams/Daniels and everyone else in this class that I won't judge him too harshly based just on that.

I still haven't seen anything that makes me believe there's a better QB in this class, but that's just me perhaps

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

I still haven't seen anything that makes me believe there's a better QB in this class, but that's just me perhaps

How about the raw stats and game film? I am sorry, but this guy scares the crap out of me as a Pats fan. He has prototypical size and weight. He can throw the ball with a lot of velocity with a tight spiral, but these things do not make a great NFL quarterback. His footwork is sloppy (to put it mildly) and that is what gets young QB's in trouble. The PAts O Line is going to suck again and he will be running for his life, if they start him week one. Would the Pats be open to sitting him as he gets coaching and learns the position? I'm sure that they would to begin with, but what about when Brissett goes 2-7 out of the gate and the fans start to get loud about their displeasure? I'll be honest. I am hoping that Washington takes him. If I were the Pats and Mayes fell to me, I'd trade down with the Vikings. Maybe next years QB's will be a better match for the Pats. Let's be honest, regardless of what the Patriots do this year in the draft, they are going to be right back in the top 5 picks next year as well. There's just too much that needs to be upgraded.

ICEMAN

1 hour ago, ICEMAN said:

How about the raw stats and game film? I am sorry, but this guy scares the crap out of me as a Pats fan. He has prototypical size and weight. He can throw the ball with a lot of velocity with a tight spiral, but these things do not make a great NFL quarterback. His footwork is sloppy (to put it mildly) and that is what gets young QB's in trouble. The PAts O Line is going to suck again and he will be running for his life, if they start him week one. Would the Pats be open to sitting him as he gets coaching and learns the position? I'm sure that they would to begin with, but what about when Brissett goes 2-7 out of the gate and the fans start to get loud about their displeasure? I'll be honest. I am hoping that Washington takes him. If I were the Pats and Mayes fell to me, I'd trade down with the Vikings. Maybe next years QB's will be a better match for the Pats. Let's be honest, regardless of what the Patriots do this year in the draft, they are going to be right back in the top 5 picks next year as well. There's just too much that needs to be upgraded.

ICEMAN

I don't think any of these QBs will excel as a rookie in New England considering they don't have any good skill position players or an OL.

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

I don't think any of these QBs will excel as a rookie in New England considering they don't have any good skill position players or an OL.

That is an issue.

Im a big fan of giving a rookie QB a solid line to play behind.   if the line is THAT bad, then the rookie should red shirt a year unless the rookie is so good he can overcome.

given that there are lots of vets who would struggle to overcome a bad line I'd say its a fair bet that this is what they need to do if they draft Maye.

of course there is always pressure from the fans to get the rookie in the game, but I actually see value in sitting the rookie for a year if they are able.

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

That is an issue.

Im a big fan of giving a rookie QB a solid line to play behind.   if the line is THAT bad, then the rookie should red shirt a year unless the rookie is so good he can overcome.

given that there are lots of vets who would struggle to overcome a bad line I'd say its a fair bet that this is what they need to do if they draft Maye.

of course there is always pressure from the fans to get the rookie in the game, but I actually see value in sitting the rookie for a year if they are able.

It's nearly impossible to win in the NFL with a trash OL, the teams with high picks usually have a trash OL. While it will certainly add to a rookie QB's struggles, I don't think it's quite the career killer it used to be considering QBs don't take hits like they used to. That said, they don't typically get as long to develop as they used to either. It's much more a win now scenario while they're on that rookie contract.

That said, I don't think there's a big chance the Patriots draft him. I think they likely take something other than a QB

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

It's nearly impossible to win in the NFL with a trash OL, the teams with high picks usually have a trash OL.

agreed.

and so many of those teams fail to develop their high QB draft picks because the line isnt good.   its a major hindrance to developing a QB as a player at the NFL level

If I were in charge, I'd trade away good players elsewhere to shore up the line before drafting my new QB.    it only makes sense if investing that much draft capital in one player, maybe giving that player some protection so he doesnt take too many hits would be a good investment. 

but so many teams decide they dont need it.   in the last few years teams have gone for the running QB because the players legs will cover up faults in the line to some degree.   its a lazy way to develop.   You still need a good line if you have a running QB.

17 hours ago, ICEMAN said:

How about the raw stats and game film? I am sorry, but this guy scares the crap out of me as a Pats fan.

Yeah, it should. He has a big arm and that's about it. 

Weaknesses

• Struggles with the chess match against pressure looks.
  • Inefficient throwing motion creates inconsistencies in accuracy.
  • Receivers had to chase too many intermediate throws into the turf.
  • Leaves the ball behind crossing routes and RPO targets.
  • Can get uncomfortable when initial reads aren’t clear and clean.
  • Sixteen career interceptions were mostly earned with poor decisions or throws.

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

agreed.

and so many of those teams fail to develop their high QB draft picks because the line isnt good.   its a major hindrance to developing a QB as a player at the NFL level

If I were in charge, I'd trade away good players elsewhere to shore up the line before drafting my new QB.    it only makes sense if investing that much draft capital in one player, maybe giving that player some protection so he doesnt take too many hits would be a good investment. 

but so many teams decide they dont need it.   in the last few years teams have gone for the running QB because the players legs will cover up faults in the line to some degree.   its a lazy way to develop.   You still need a good line if you have a running QB.

Yeah, I've always thought that if you have trash OL, that's first priority. If you have a good chance to get a franchise QB, fine, but everything else should all in on building the OL.

3 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Yeah, it should. He has a big arm and that's about it. 

Weaknesses

• Sixteen career interceptions were mostly earned with poor decisions or throws.

You forgot something...

Way more than just a strong arm

Positives

• Delivers a beautiful and well-placed deep ball time after time.

• Among the best in college football at throwing over the middle of the field.

• Very comfortable throwing into tight windows and has the arm strength to pull it off.

• Improvisational skills are good for such a young prospect (will not turn 22 until late August).

• Fearless in the pocket, even when he knows he is about to take a hit.

• While he needs to add a bit of muscle, he possesses a great frame and near-ideal size to play the position.

Just spit balling here.  If you're the Patriots and have a LOT of needs on the line and in the skill positions.... is it worth trading down from #3 to get the Vikings 2 firsts and more picks next year?  At pick #11, they're not going to get Williams, Maye, or Daniels... but McCarthy may fall to them.  From all accounts, it sounds like Tennessee is going to stick with Levis, and I don't really know who else in the top 11... AZ (Murray), NYG (Jones), LAC (Herbert), ATL (Cousins), CHI (Williams), and NYJ (Rodgers), would want to take a QB.  I guess the Broncos or Raiders could be interested in trading up in front of NE (if they trade down to 11), I don't know.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Just spit balling here.  If you're the Patriots and have a LOT of needs on the line and in the skill positions.... is it worth trading down from #3 to get the Vikings 2 firsts and more picks next year?  At pick #11, they're not going to get Williams, Maye, or Daniels... but McCarthy may fall to them.  From all accounts, it sounds like Tennessee is going to stick with Levis, and I don't really know who else in the top 11... AZ (Murray), NYG (Jones), LAC (Herbert), ATL (Cousins), CHI (Williams), and NYJ (Rodgers), would want to take a QB.  I guess the Broncos or Raiders could be interested in trading up in front of NE (if they trade down to 11), I don't know.

It would make sense for the Jets to grab a QB given Rodgers age, but I think there is a fair chance Rodgers has a freakout if thats the way it goes down.

so maybe they draft a player for the O line or D line or just an immediate impact player  for elsewhere in the lineup.

4 hours ago, polecatt said:

Way more than just a strong arm

Now go read Daniel Jones scouting report. He's Daniel Jones, prove me wrong. 

26 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Now go read Daniel Jones scouting report. He's Daniel Jones, prove me wrong. 

That was actually who Doug compared McCarthy to, not Drake Maye

I know he doesn't have the credentials of wearing lip gloss or painting his fingernails or crying on his mother's bosom on national TV but what NFL QB does? 😆

the scouting report I am looking at is comparing him to Herbert

though maybe its stylistic  only..... 

heres how it reads

Strengths:   

• Easy touch thrower who can change his speeds and trajectories with the control of an NFL veteran. 
  • capable scrambler with enough athleticism to get away from defensive linemen
  • smooth and consistent release helps to maintain his ball placement which give his receivers a runway after the catch.
  • quick decision maker who wont hesitate when he sees an opening.
  • eyes stay downfield and keep searching when plays break down
  • Natural on the move thrower who wont lose accuracy when forced to leave the platform
  • deep bal touch is excellent for a redshirt sophomore who lost his top receiving target in Josh Downs. 
  • feels pressure and adapts quickly within the pocket

Weaknesses

• Lacks any real elite traits that will elevate his game despite being well rounded as a player.
  • arm talent is adequate but not out of the ordinary for an NFL starter
  • release can be a bit winding when he is forced out of normal rhythm.
  • arm adjustability is still a work in progress and he will sail some passes when adjusting for pressure at the line as he drifted and threw off his back foot when pressure broke through against him

I still have to look at the tape and I will admit this mag (which I normally dont buy but was in an airport waiting for a flight, so I took what I could get) isnt always on the mark with the scouting reports.    they are hit or miss at times.

but if this report is to be believed I'd say he would thrive in a situation where he had a good O line.

10 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You could probably talk me into Penix

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

the scouting report I am looking at is comparing him to Herbert

though maybe its stylistic  only..... 

heres how it reads

Strengths:   

• Easy touch thrower who can change his speeds and trajectories with the control of an NFL veteran. 
  • capable scrambler with enough athleticism to get away from defensive linemen
  • smooth and consistent release helps to maintain his ball placement which give his receivers a runway after the catch.
  • quick decision maker who wont hesitate when he sees an opening.
  • eyes stay downfield and keep searching when plays break down
  • Natural on the move thrower who wont lose accuracy when forced to leave the platform
  • deep bal touch is excellent for a redshirt sophomore who lost his top receiving target in Josh Downs. 
  • feels pressure and adapts quickly within the pocket

Weaknesses

• Lacks any real elite traits that will elevate his game despite being well rounded as a player.
  • arm talent is adequate but not out of the ordinary for an NFL starter
  • release can be a bit winding when he is forced out of normal rhythm.
  • arm adjustability is still a work in progress and he will sail some passes when adjusting for pressure at the line as he drifted and threw off his back foot when pressure broke through against him

I still have to look at the tape and I will admit this mag (which I normally dont buy but was in an airport waiting for a flight, so I took what I could get) isnt always on the mark with the scouting reports.    they are hit or miss at times.

but if this report is to be believed I'd say he would thrive in a situation where he had a good O line.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From the article that I read, every weakness contradicts every strength that you have. There's so many different takes on this guy. The tape does show his rawness at times, especially if not given time. 

Weaknesses

• Sixteen career interceptions were mostly earned with poor decisions or throws.

7 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I listened to an interview of him on NFL Radio.  The kid comes off as calm and very knowledgeable about the game and his position.  When I start reading up on the draft, he's someone I definitely want to check out.

3 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From the article that I read, every weakness contradicts every strength that you have. There's so many different takes on this guy. The tape does show his rawness at times, especially if not given time. 

Weaknesses

• Sixteen career interceptions were mostly earned with poor decisions or throws.

Yeah, thats why I figured this one would be an interesting one to look into myself.

when you have 2 reports that differ by so much, you come to realize that this is the type of player where the scouts are all over the place on them.

High ceiling, low floor.    This is probably what you are getting.    Probably should be going late first but probably is a top 10 pick (maybe top 5) because of that high ceiling

37 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Yeah, thats why I figured this one would be an interesting one to look into myself.

It really is fascinating. There's so many different evaluations that are coming out. One of these QBs is going to fall like Levis did last season. I wouldn't be shocked if it's Maye

On 4/2/2024 at 12:56 AM, IGotWorms said:

Here is my ideal situation. Trade #3 to The Vikings for # 11, # 23 & next years first round pick (probably a top 10 pick). When the 11th pick comes up if JJ McCarthy is still there get the Chargers on the phone and offer them McCarthy for Herbert straight -up. If they say yes, GREAT! If not, take McCarthy, or Penix @ 11 and then the best available WR/OT at 23. I would then again grab the best WR/OT @ 34. I would also grab a Center in this draft if I were the Pats in the 3rd/4th round. Dave Andrews ain't gonna be around for ever. There are a CRAPLOAD of holes on the offensive side of the ball from years of neglect from BB, so this is going to take a couple of years of really nailing the draft in order to straighten out. In the scenario that I have presented, the Pats will have 2 picks in the top 10 next year as well (Yes. Nobody wants to say the real part out loud. Even if the Pats kill this draft, they are still going to suck next year.). If they miss on whatever QB they take, they will have the ammunition to take one of the top QB's at the top of next years draft. If they hit on the QB that they take this year, they will be in great position next draft to grab another elite WR prospect, or Tackle prospect.

ICEMAN