Sign in to follow this  
gcmmidwest

Justin Herbert wide receivers

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Johnson was at the absolute floor of how you can do in your rookie season and still turn into something as a WR. So it’s possible and I am intrigued, but man, he was so close to being an outright bust 🤏

well, sometimes this is a function of the coach and O/C  too.   coach lost his job.

but when a team drafts a player at the college level, they are rarely a finished product.   the rookie camp is designed to get the kid up to speed and teach the nuances of the pro game before training camp arrives.

if a player doesnt do well as a rookie, sometimes its the player, but sometimes its the coach.

case in point:

Goff.   rookie year he was terrible. (I would argue beyond terrible)

McVay arrives and his production explodes.

to me that tells me the problem was more with the coaching and less with the player (in that case at least)

42 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

fair comments all.

and yeah it is tough to expect a rookie to lead the team in receiving.  if he gets 800 yards and 5-6 TD as a rookie I'd say its a very successful rookie campain, but its not WR1 production.

its likely palmer as the leading WR though there is an outside chance Chark steps up.    but Palmer has to be the highest odds to thrive.

Quentin Johnson is still a dark horse.   going into his second year,  it feels like we still dont know who he is as a pro yet.

Johnston was not good but his draft capital says they won't be giving up on him.   It's going to be Palmer and Johnston on the outsides and Ladd in the slot. I really don't think Chark makes an impact unless there is an injury or Johnston looks like a complete bust in camp. Herbert has some comfort with Palmer.... and Johnston and Ladd have 1st and 2nd round draft capital tied to them. 

In fact, if you believe Harbaugh had a 3rd/4th round grade on Rice and you believe he will work his butt off, I would have Chark 4th on the depth chart but 5th in terms of potential.

Q. Johnson is exactly the late round type of lotto ticket an astute fantasy player would be targeting...

• Like 1

either way, my hope is that this situation clears up a bit more come training camp.

right now its a very interesting situation to speculate on

It’s a confusing situation, There isn’t a right move.  There is no alpha wr.  Which ever one any ff owners rosters will be a disappointment most weeks.  Ladd is the only one I’m going to target , and targeting him very late.  I’ll be happy to let any of the other 13 owners in both of my leagues own any of them.  

well, it is a situation where you can find value if the WR slides far enough.

you certainly dont want to overpay for any Charger WR, but at least one will put up draftable numbers.  Possibly 2.   but there is a whole lot more risk to them.

for me, Chargers WR are players to target late in the draft if they are still on the board.