Sign in to follow this  
edjr

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

like say, Tony Dungy who picked Brady 6th :lol:

I heard that too... everyone voting had Brady #1 or #2... Dungy had him #6? :lol:

so even with the Russian judge's score factored in, Brady's #1.

Titles:

ARod - 1

Young - 1

Favre - 1

Marino - 0

Regular Season W/L Records

ARod: 90-45 (.667)

Young: 94-49 (.657)

Favre 186-112 (.624)

Marino: 147-93 (.613)

Playoff W/L Records:

ARod: 9-7 (.562)

Young: 8-6 (.571)

Favre: 13-11 (.542)

Marino: 8-10 (.444)

:dunno:

That's a part of it, but %'s don't count as much until the career is all done. Marino carried his teams offensively, like Elway did. Stats wise at the time it was him, a big gap, and then everyone else. Example 1986 Marino 44 TD's, #2 25TD's.

That's a part of it, but %'s don't count as much until the career is all done. Marino carried his teams offensively, like Elway did. Stats wise at the time it was him, a big gap, and then everyone else. Example 1986 Marino 44 TD's, #2 25TD's.

I agree about Marino and I don't care for the guy. At the time, his stats and what he did passing was unmatched and unheard of. It was a different game. Like was mentioned earlier, can't really compare eras especially if you want to throw stats into it. Marino in his time probably had one of the widest margin's on his peers stat wise. I'm sure Johnny U and earlier had some huge gaps as well because the pass wasn't fully embraced by all.

One thing I will say about the Montana, Elway, Marino and prior era QBs is that they had to be much tougher than today's pansies.

Defensive players need a schematic to understand how to legally tackle a QB in today's NFL.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:40 PM, listen2me 23 said:

Rodgers does more for the Packers than any other QB in the league does for theirs.

Pats would go 11-5 with Jimmy

ATL would go 9-7 with Schaub

Packers would go 5-11 with Hundley

This is worse than calling him the GOAT. 🤡     

Which you replied to in the GOAT thread.

Your ass has been served. 

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

That was 2017, and probably still true in 2017.   5 years later, Rodgers is looking washed.  Tommy Gaydy is looking washed too.  Father time always wins.

22 minutes ago, edjr said:

I mean it was true.  Are you still scouring the interwebs to find a quote where I said he was the GOAT? Now go find my handfuls of quotes saying Brady is obviously the GOAT.  

You have served nothing Ed.  You claimed I said something several times and you can't find 1.  You actually are serving yourself.  

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

That was 2017, and probably still true in 2017.   5 years later, Rodgers is looking washed.  Tommy Gaydy is looking washed too.  Father time always wins.

So he was the goat in 2017? got it. but no one ever said it :wacko: 

the real cutoff should not be at 1978 but 1994:

At the annual owners meeting in March 1994, the NFL’s competition committee passed a bundle of new rules. The committee, chaired by legendary Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula and New York Giants general manager George Young, endeavored to make life easier for offensive players, to discourage the kicking game, and to guide the league into a new technological realm. The changes they pushed through included a renewed emphasis on prohibiting “downfield chucking,” to ensure that defensive backs could not jam receivers more than five yards down the field; giving offensive lineman the option of lining up with one foot behind the line of scrimmage; adding two point conversions; emphasizing the roughing the passer rule, to deter defenders from hitting the quarterback after he released the ball; changing the spot of the ball after missed field goals from the line of scrimmage to the point of the kick; and adding radio transmitters to quarterbacks’ helmets so coaches could talk directly to their field generals.

https://slate.com/culture/2014/09/1994-nfl-rules-how-a-series-of-pass-friendly-changes-saved-a-moribund-league-and-created-the-modern-nfl.html

after reading the first dozen or so responses my question is.... was super bowl titles / playoff record the main thing that was considered? Football is more highly a team game than baseball (driven by individual stats) or Basketball (much smaller rosters, players now control the makeup of the teams etc.) 

I have no issues with Manning #2. I can also see the argument for Brady being a system QB, even though he won a title in Tampa, he had arguable his most talented team ever. 

I would also disagree with Rodgers at #5. It feels like too much recency bias possibly boosted to the front of peoples minds because of all the offseason drama with him the past few years. 

Also, how did Justin Herbert not rank top 5 ?  :wacko: