Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Fast-food strikes widen into social-justice movement

I know a lot of people working at McDonald's an Hardee's making like 40K a year cause of government assistance. They don't want to work any more than a certain amount of hours a week cause if they go over that then their government assistance stops. Which is why they want $15 an hour. Work same amount of hours but get paid more and keep government assistance

So it's based on number of hours, not income?

That's my guess. Never been on any assistance before so I haven't a clue.

That makes no sense at all

That's my guess. Never been on any assistance before so I haven't a clue.

Okay. You seemed pretty sure in that post.

• Like 1

Okay. You seemed pretty sure in that post.

Just going by exactly what the ladies told me and would do. Been years so I forgot what program it was that they were getting government funds from but I remember them complaining about having to work extra hours cause they wouldn't get the money from the government.

Anyways that neither here nor there. $15 an hour for people with no skills is a NO. They don't need to make as much as teachers, firefighters, police officers, and military members.

Just going by exactly what the ladies told me and would do. Been years so I forgot what program it was that they were getting government funds from but I remember them complaining about having to work extra hours cause they wouldn't get the money from the government.

Anyways that neither here nor there. $15 an hour for people with no skills is a NO. They don't need to make as much as teachers, firefighters, police officers, and military members.

I agree, but the arguments against should still be factual.

That's a trick question. Why not state your point instead of being so passive aggressive?

Yes, franchised locations have a relatively low profit margin. But the parent company, McDonalds, for example, profited $5.5 Billion on $27.6 Billion in revenue. That's 20 percent. The average company on the S&P 500 profits at about 8.7 percent. McDonalds deflects wage accusations, unfairly, onto the franchise owners, when in reality they could accommodate wage increases by lowering franchising costs.

Not a trick. Just a straight forward question to determine if you understand the profit impact of raising wages from $7.25 to $15/hr.

No matter how you slice it, doubling payroll for front line workers could increase a restaurant's total operating cost by 20-30%. Neither the franchises nor the corporations can afford that kind of hit.

Beyond that, being a fast food worker shouldn't command a $15/hr. wage. The work they do simply isn't that valuable.

I'm stereotyping and going in a slightly different direction here, but it seems like jewish, greek, middle eastern, and asians have this whole thing figured out better than the rest of us. Get a job, live below your means, save money, invest money, buy businesses and help set up your family to do the same.

Whites, Blacks and Hispanics should closely examine how it's done.

Over 50% of fast food workers are on public assistance. I'd prefer the companies pay them a living wage, instead of my tax dollars. We don't have any factories anymore, so the working poor need to work somewhere. Everybody can't get paid 6 figures to surf the Internet all day, like we do.

A really huge point that many people don't get. The taxpayer is effectively subsidizing the Walmarts and McDonaldses of the world. It's part of their g0ddamned business plan! How focked up is that?

A really huge point that many people don't get. The taxpayer is effectively subsidizing the Walmarts and McDonaldses of the world. It's part of their g0ddamned business plan! How focked up is that?

it's a never ending circle, isn't it?

someone has to pay for Walmart to have such low prices.

You expect the consumer to?

If the wages go up so do the taxes paid and more payments to social security. And like asshat worms said, less people on the dole.

Let me describe the people that work for me...at a movie theatre. They pop your popcorn, tear your tickets, and pick up all the shite you arseholes leave behind in the seats.

1) 24 Years Old - Education Degree - 35 Hours a Week Unpaid Teaching Internship, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

2) 23 Years Old - Marketing Degree - 40 Hours a Week at the County Clerks Office, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

3) 25 Years Old - History Degree - Night Classes to become a Pastor, Full Time Manager with Me, Married

4) 24 Years Old - Spanish Degree - Part Time Substitute Teacher, Part Time Manager with Me, Married

5) 19 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for Ultrasound Technician, Part Time Manager with Me, Married

6) 19 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for Dental Assistant, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Engaged

7) 33 Years Old - Education Degree - 40 Hours a Week Teaching English, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Married, Four Kids (Two Adopted)

8) 21 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for EMT, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

9) 22 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for Paralegal, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, One Child

10) 62 Years Old - Vietnam Veteran - Part Time Janitor at Taco Bell, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Married, Two Kids

11) 21 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Biology Degree, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

12) 23 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Education Degree, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

13) 18 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Engineering Degree, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

14) 20 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Accounting Degree, Part Time H&R Block Employee, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

15) 26 Years Old - Accounting Degree - Full Time Assistant Food Service Director at a Nursing Home, Part Time Maintenance with Me

16) 25 Years Old - Accounting Degree - Full Time CPA, Part Time Marketing with Me

17) 21 Years Old - No Formal Education - Full Time Warehouse Manager of Family Owned Business, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Saving for Own Restaurant

18) 21 Years Old - No Formal Education - Part Time Writer Seeking Publication, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

19) 24 Years Old - No Formal Education - Recently Laid-Off Radio Shack Assistant Manager, Father-To-Be, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

These aren't losers. These are people trying to better themselves despite the stress and struggles of the poverty line...or those that really have no other choice.

The floor staff could be making minimum wage, but I practice what I preach. When I was given control over my wages two years ago, I started raising them. My staff went from $7.25 to $9.25 and my Managers went from $8.75 to $15. I hope to further increase my staff wages to $10 by 2016. Even after these changes, my wages come in at about 10-15% of revenue each month. I can afford more.

And a funny thing happened. My employees became...happy. Despite less attendance due to poor film product and increased wages, we made more money in 2014 than we did in 2013. My market share increased. My concession purchases per patron increased. I haven't had an employee quit on me or get fired in that two year span. I've have had three go on to find jobs in their chosen field after completing college, though. One of them now makes twice as much money as I do as a Software Engineer. Fock that guy. :lol:

• Like 1

Let me describe the people that work for me...at a movie theatre. They pop your popcorn, tear your tickets, and pick up all the shite you arseholes leave behind in the seats.

1) 24 Years Old - Education Degree - 35 Hours a Week Unpaid Teaching Internship, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

2) 23 Years Old - Marketing Degree - 40 Hours a Week at the County Clerks Office, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

3) 25 Years Old - History Degree - Night Classes to become a Pastor, Full Time Manager with Me, Married

4) 24 Years Old - Spanish Degree - Part Time Substitute Teacher, Part Time Manager with Me, Married

5) 19 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for Ultrasound Technician, Part Time Manager with Me, Married

6) 19 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for Dental Assistant, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Engaged

7) 33 Years Old - Education Degree - 40 Hours a Week Teaching English, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Married, Four Kids (Two Adopted)

8) 21 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for EMT, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

9) 22 Years Old - In Technical School - Part Time Student for Paralegal, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, One Child

10) 62 Years Old - Vietnam Veteran - Part Time Janitor at Taco Bell, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Married, Two Kids

11) 21 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Biology Degree, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

12) 23 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Education Degree, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

13) 18 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Engineering Degree, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

14) 20 Years Old - In School - Part Time Student for Accounting Degree, Part Time H&R Block Employee, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

15) 26 Years Old - Accounting Degree - Full Time Assistant Food Service Director at a Nursing Home, Part Time Maintenance with Me

16) 25 Years Old - Accounting Degree - Full Time CPA, Part Time Marketing with Me

17) 21 Years Old - No Formal Education - Full Time Warehouse Manager of Family Owned Business, Part Time Floor Staff with Me, Saving for Own Restaurant

18) 21 Years Old - No Formal Education - Part Time Writer Seeking Publication, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

19) 24 Years Old - No Formal Education - Recently Laid-Off Radio Shack Assistant Manager, Father-To-Be, Part Time Floor Staff with Me

These aren't losers. These are people trying to better themselves despite the stress and struggles of the poverty line...or those that really have no other choice.

The floor staff could be making minimum wage, but I practice what I preach. When I was given control over my wages two years ago, I started raising them. My staff went from $7.25 to $9.25 and my Managers went from $8.75 to $15. I hope to further increase my staff wages to $10 by 2016. Even after these changes, my wages come in at about 10-15% of revenue each month. I can afford more.

And a funny thing happened. My employees became...happy. Despite less attendance due to poor film product and increased wages, we made more money in 2014 than we did in 2013. My market share increased. My concession purchases per patron increased. I haven't had an employee quit on me or get fired in that two year span. I've have had three go on to find jobs in their chosen field after completing college, though. One of them now makes twice as much money as I do as a Software Engineer. Fock that guy. :lol:

A lot of your workers are either in school (which I think the wage you are paying them is actually perfect for what they are doing) or they have teaching degrees in which I already say we need to pay teachers more and hire more of them cause our countries education system sucks.

Neither the franchises nor the corporations can afford that kind of hit.

I'm not saying making $15/hour mandatory for unskilled workers is a good idea.... so don't confuse that with what I'm going to post.

But really? McDonalds makes about 1.5 BILLION dollars in profit every quarter... so, the idea that McDonalds would fail if it had to give employees raises is absurd no matter how much douchebaggery MBA accounting jargon you want to throw around... and likewise, it's just as absurd for some unskilled, welfare-mooching worker to feel entitled to an automatic $15/hour check.

So here we are again, the middle getting focked by the super rich and the entitled "poor".

10-15% payroll costs are lower than the avg. fast food chain.

Every business has a different model, and some are more profitable than others, but the average is around 25% for fast food joints.

If the wages go up so do the taxes paid and more payments to social security. And like asshat worms said, less people on the dole.

Thanks for your support, dooshbag :thumbsup:

I'm not saying making $15/hour mandatory for unskilled workers is a good idea.... so don't confuse that with what I'm going to post.

But really? McDonalds makes about 1.5 BILLION dollars in profit every quarter... so, the idea that McDonalds would fail if it had to give employees raises is absurd no matter how much douchebaggery MBA accounting jargon you want to throw around... and likewise, it's just as absurd for some unskilled, welfare-mooching worker to feel entitled to an automatic $15/hour check.

So here we are again, the middle getting focked by the super rich and the entitled "poor".

Truth.

Let me describe the people that work for me...at a movie theatre. They pop your popcorn,

Considering what you fockers charge for popcorn they ought to make $50 an hour. :mad:

Every business has a different model, and some are more profitable than others, but the average is around 25% for fast food joints.

It hovered around 6% when we paid minimum wage. Movie Theatres make good money. They recoup about 40% of ticket sales and 70% of food sales.

Building Maintenance and Upkeep is a biiiitch, though.

Considering what you fockers charge for popcorn they ought to make $50 an hour. :mad:

Would you like to make that a Large for just $0.50 more?

Has the minimum wage increased on par, historicially, with the cost of living?

Fock no, but neither has my pay, so fock them

and here, you've hit the nail on the head.

The corporation will charge $10 for that popcorn and keep pushing that price up. It will also pay $6 for the guy who pops it and keep pushing that price down.

Why do we need a "system" to help people "afford" that popcorn or "make more" at that job.

If the job suxors and doesn't pay, leave.

If the popcorn is too expensive, don't buy it.

But the "system" only interferes to further encourages higher prices and lower pay.

The Result:

Worker Makes $2bucks.

Consumer pays $50 for popcorn but only $10 out-of-pocket

The Government Popcorn Card covers the remaining $40.

The middle class taxpayers with a decent job get screwed.

The CEO makes more money than ever and then complains that his taxes are too high.

Fock no, but neither has my pay, so fock them

I'm just saying shouldn't the minimum wage increase at the COL rate and just keep it at that? I'm fine with raising it, but doubling it in one year seem rather ridiculous.

If its 8 bucks an hour now and COL is 2% then every year year it simply raises 2%.

What am I missing?

For sure.

I think it best that maybe we try to fix the model, then? If a business can't pay its workers a fair wage and make money, then they shouldn't be in business.

I'm just saying shouldn't the minimum wage increase at the COL rate and just keep it at that? I'm fine with raising it, but doubling it in one year seem rather ridiculous.

If its 8 bucks an hour now and COL is 2% then every year year it simply raises 2%.

What am I missing?

Don't think you're missing anything. That's how it should have been. Since it wasn't, it somewhat forces drastic over-compensation.

I'll agree that corporate greed is a real thing. But, it has taken years for McD's to get to those profits levels.

Their founders and stockholders deserve the see rewards of a successfully run business. Employees should share in the rewards based on their tenure and performance.

There are cashiers at Home Depot and Wal Mart who are literally millionaires today because they took advantage of the employee stock plans early on. I know 2 of them. They were both paid just above minimum wage when they first started, and they're both probably making around $15/hr now.

What am I missing?

The fact that people are greedy. Workers with no skills want to make a lot of money. CEOs want to maintain what they are making or even increase they profits so they will push the prices higher. Middle class gets screwed while rich get richer and poor keeps getting entitlements

What am I missing?

raising $8 by 2% is a colossal waste of time.

hey, enjoy your 16 cents an hour or 6 bucks if you work 40 hours. :wall: laughable.

What am I missing?

probably off topic but I call bullsh!t on whatever COL numbers they are claiming.

Milk, Bread, and Eggs are all $4bucks each... everything in the grocery store is $4 +.

And gas is now considered "cheap" at $2.40/gal.

Nevermind healthcare, housing/mortgages, education, etc.

The COL is at minimum $100k salary per average family - and those who dive into "the american dream" without realizing this end up in debt.

probably off topic but I call bullsh!t on whatever COL numbers they are claiming.

Milk, Bread, and Eggs are all $4bucks each... everything in the grocery store is $4 +.

And gas is now considered "cheap" at $2.40/gal.

Nevermind healthcare, housing/mortgages, education, etc.

The COL is at minimum $100k salary per average family - and those who dive into "the american dream" without realizing this end up in debt.

now wait a minute. I was just at shaws last night and had to call the baby momma. I was in shock how cheap milk was. and this is at shaws. was 2.79 for a gallon. Prices have come WAY down;. at Market basket it's even cheaper. eggs and bread are less than 2 bucks.

Where the fock do you buy groceries? Walgreens?

For sure.

I think it best that maybe we try to fix the model, then? If a business can't pay its workers a fair wage and make money, then they shouldn't be in business.

Don't think you're missing anything. That's how it should have been.

How do you define fair? What's a fair wage to flip burgers? What's a fair wage for a system's architect, a MLB shortstop, a carpenter or a maid? What's a fair wage for the CEO of Apple?

It's all over the board, and should be driven by an individual's contribution to the company. Nobody is forcing people to stay at McD's. But, if a guy decides to do so, he needs to understand that flipping burgers is never going to be worth much.

now wait a minute. I was just at shaws last night and had to call the baby momma. I was in shock how cheap milk was. and this is at shaws. was 2.79 for a gallon. Prices have come WAY down;. at Market basket it's even cheaper. eggs and bread are less than 2 bucks.

Where the fock do you buy groceries? Walgreens?

OK - so you drive around to multiple grocery stores to buy only the "sale" items... let's not pick nits here.

No matter where you go, if you fill up your cart with $100 in groceries, it isn't a whole lot of stuff - and yes, it's a bit more stuff at Market Basket, but I stand by my point that "average" life expenses are not easily covered by an "average" salary.

and here, you've hit the nail on the head.

The corporation will charge $10 for that popcorn and keep pushing that price up. It will also pay $6 for the guy who pops it and keep pushing that price down.

Why do we need a "system" to help people "afford" that popcorn or "make more" at that job.

If the job suxors and doesn't pay, leave.

If the popcorn is too expensive, don't buy it.

But the "system" only interferes to further encourages higher prices and lower pay.

I've always been of this rationale and it gets me in trouble from both sides. I don't think there should be a minimum wage. The only fair wage is one that is agreed upon. That's the ultimate competition right there. My justification is that the settled upon wages would in-fact be higher than Minimum Wage. Can't really prove that and I get laughed at a lot, so maybe that's just how I think as a General Manager. I want the best workers, so I pay them more than my competition. I can recruit employees from other businesses as I encounter them in my daily life by offering them a bigger check. If they don't live up to my expectations, I find someone else. As a result, more patrons want to come to my business because we have friendly, efficient staff. Market share increases.

i don't eat fast food, but i will chuckle when the kiosks start rolling in en masse

OK - so you drive around to multiple grocery stores to buy only the "sale" items..

you're out of your mind. I go to 2 stores. shaws and Market Basket. If I am getting a couple things, shaws, it is more convenient. if going for a lot, MB.

You're so out of touch with the prices of things at the super market.

i don't eat fast food, but i will chuckle when the kiosks start rolling in en masse

You may chuckle, but that's best case scenario.

Automation and technology creates more jobs than it destroys...and better ones at that.

OK - so you drive around to multiple grocery stores to buy only the "sale" items... let's not pick nits here.

No matter where you go, if you fill up your cart with $100 in groceries, it isn't a whole lot of stuff - and yes, it's a bit more stuff at Market Basket, but I stand by my point that "average" life expenses are not easily covered by an "average" salary.

There's only 1 grocery store besides the high end ones like whole foods and that's HEB here in San Antonio. You are right that I can go into the store and get maybe 15 items and it ends up being $80-$100. Still, that's me buying what I want. I've got the money to do that. When I was in college I ate ramen noodles, Mac and cheese, PB&J because that's what I could afford and I was trying to save. Americans today have no idea how to save or budget.

Automation and technology creates more jobs than it destroys...and better ones at that.

Yes they do. Would love to see kiosks come out. But then you've got those people who previously worked at mcdonalds complaining because they kept the best workers and fired the rest

here is the future for drive-thru window workers:

- the idea of needing you "on location" is outdated

- you will all be packed in a warehouse with headsets taking orders for you assigned location, if you're lucky your warehouse is in Ohio, if you're not, its in China

- The money exchange and food delivery is all handle by machines.

- The only people "on location" are those cooking the food. These workers never interact with customers or money.

:dunno:

Im not sure how kiosks will increase demand... and if it doesn't they will simply net less jobs.