Sign in to follow this  
roroco

If you were starting a real NFL team...

...who would be your top 5 players to draft?

A few of my friends were talking about this last night. While most put Rodgers first, a few said Luck first because he is younger. After that, the consensus was Wilson, but nobody really felt good about that pick. After that we all struggled. It seems like all the great players in the league right now are getting up there in age.

My top 5 was:

Rodgers

Luck

Wilson

Watt

Demaryius Thomas (I was tempted to put ODB up here)

What is your top 5?

• Like 1

Trent Richardson

Mark Sanchez

Jadeveon Clowney

Josh Gordon

Justin Blackmon

good luck trying to lose the super bowl

A few of my friends were talking about this last night. While most put Rodgers first, a few said Luck first because he is younger. After that, the consensus was Wilson, but nobody really felt good about that pick. After that we all struggled. It seems like all the great players in the league right now are getting up there in age.

My top 5 was:

Rodgers

Luck

Wilson

Watt

What is your top 5?

No way any receiver or runningback should be in the top 20. Those are two of the least valuable positions. You'd be better going for the best linemen if you can't get a top qb.

Good post.

I'd have to give it a great deal of thought, myself - although Watt is an excellent call.

As far as quarterbacks go, I'd venture to say that most of the best ones are aging out of the system, so I'd probably tend to lean towards youth and promise. I realize that it's a sacrilege to say (as a Seahawks fan), but I'm not crazy about Wilson. He seems... limited... somehow. Can't stand Luck, but that's just personal bias.

I'd probably go nuts and do something crazy like signing Derek Carr and surrounding him with the tools he needs to succeed.

No way any receiver or runningback should be in the top 20. Those are two of the least valuable positions. You'd be better going for the best linemen if you can't get a top qb.

Agreed. QB, LT, DE would dominate the first. Mostly QB, unless you plan on sucking the first year and draft one the next year.

Good post.

I'd have to give it a great deal of thought, myself - although Watt is an excellent call.

As far as quarterbacks go, I'd venture to say that most of the best ones are aging out of the system, so I'd probably tend to lean towards youth and promise. I realize that it's a sacrilege to say (as a Seahawks fan), but I'm not crazy about Wilson. He seems... limited... somehow. Can't stand Luck, but that's just personal bias.

I'd probably go nuts and do something crazy like signing Derek Carr and surrounding him with the tools he needs to succeed.

I was hesitant to put a WR up there, but they have really long careers in the NFL. A tall, all purpose WR can go a long way, but you are probably right on a lineman.

If you have 5 picks, why is everyone taking more than one QB? Only one can play. Better to have all of your 5 picks on the field than to have them sitting on the bench, no?

QB Rodgers - he's only 31. Thought of Luck, but Rodgers is just too good.

WR C Johnson - just so unstoppable

OT T Smith

DE Watt

DT Suh

Very close?

RB L Bell - does everything well, but still a RB and could have short shelve life

WR A Brown, D Bryant, AJ Green, J Jones - too many and Megatron is still the best

OL - T T Williams, G Z Martin, C M Pouncey

LB L Kuechly, V Miller

DB - R Sherman, J Haden, E Thomas

It says real team but half these guys are posting fantasy guys. Get your line built then draft your qb in the 6th round and a coach to go with him.

• Like 1

My top 5 was:

Rodgers

Luck

Wilson

Watt

What is your top 5?

Would this real league be a PPR?

If you have 5 picks, why is everyone taking more than one QB? Only one can play. Better to have all of your 5 picks on the field than to have them sitting on the bench, no?

QB Rodgers - he's only 31. Thought of Luck, but Rodgers is just too good.

WR C Johnson - just so unstoppable

OT T Smith

DE Watt

DT Suh

Very close?

RB L Bell - does everything well, but still a RB and could have short shelve life

WR A Brown, D Bryant, AJ Green, J Jones - too many and Megatron is still the best

OL - T T Williams, G Z Martin, C M Pouncey

LB L Kuechly, V Miller

DB - R Sherman, J Haden, E Thomas

I'm pretty sure the OP was referencing the top 5 players picked overall rather than the top 5 players you'd form a team with hence the multiple quarterbacks.

My top 5 overall would be:

1. A. Rodgers

2. A. Luck

3. JJ Watt

4. R. Wilson

5. L. Kuechly

If I could start a team with 5 players of different positions it'd look like this:

1. A. Rodgers

2. JJ Watt

3. L. Kuechly

4. T. Smith

5. R. Sherman

I'd be tempted to take Luck instead of Rodgers due to the age but Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over & Luck has that gunslinger mentality that scares me a little bit.

These 5 would give me quality starters at vital positions. Tempted to add a WR like an ODB/AJ Green/D. Bryant to give the QB an offensive weapon but I believe Watt/Kuechly/Sherman offer more to a team's overall composition.

I think it'd be an interesting exercise if we did a complete 1st round mock draft with all 32 teams to see how everyone values their core player.

Luck -1

Rodgers -2

Aaron Donald -3

Russell Wilson -4

Marcell Dareus -5

I trade my picks to get Belichick as HC

:thumbsup:

JETS ARE SO DUMB!

1. R. Wilson
2. E. Thomas
3. R. Sherman
4. Kam Chancellor
5. B. Wagner

:first:

Fantasy

1) Luck

2) Rodgers

3) ODB

4) Watt

5) Sherman

Football

1) Luck

2) Watt

3) Z Martin

4) Sherman

5) ODB

Fantasy

1) Luck

2) Rodgers

3) ODB

4) Watt

5) Sherman

Football

1) Luck

2) Watt

3) Z Martin

4) Sherman

5) ODB

Curious... You don't have Rodgers in the NFL football list? Why exactly?

pretty sure he's talking about the draft board, not the picks. everyone is going to be pretty consistent on the picks: QB, OT, edge rusher, CB in some order, at least until the late 2nd (at which point elite MLBs, RBs, and WRs start competing with lower tiers of the premier positions).

I didn't include Rodgers in the second list because I was treating it as real football and I wouldn't spend 2 of my first 5 picks on qbs

Not sure but Tomsula would be coach. That guy is a whizbang