Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Any thoughts on Kaepernick's possible destination?

They brought him in and did not work him out? Did not sign him and have not put out a statement about it.......... yea....sounds like they have real interest.

The Huffington Post's Jordan Schultz reports Colin Kaepernick "wants to be a Seahawk."

Kaepernick visited with but did not work out for the Seahawks on Wednesday. Schultz reports the visit went "very well" and Kaepernick is willing to be a backup, but there is "no rush" to work out a deal. If the Seahawks share Kaepernick's enthusiasm, they will likely want him in the fold before minicamp begins in June

They did invite him.

That sounds like interest to me.

Because nothing happen isn't anything new or different

The report did say the visit went very well.

Sounds like a move in the right direction for both Kap and the Seahawks.

Don't feed the troll.

agreed. you cant fix stupid.

• Like 1

They did invite him.

That sounds like interest to me.

Because nothing happen isn't anything new or different

The report did say the visit went very well.

Sounds like a move in the right direction for both Kap and the Seahawks.

Well, they didnt even work him out.

At this point I think they were just checking to see if signing him is actually a legitimate option for the team.

If he's unwilling to be a backup, there is no point in further discussion.

it sounds like he is willing to be a backup which is a good thing for Kap. I still suspect he'd like to hold out to see if he can get a starting gig, so depending on who else has shown interest, this may be the way this has turned out.

Well, they didnt even work him out.

At this point I think they were just checking to see if signing him is actually a legitimate option for the team.

If he's unwilling to be a backup, there is no point in further discussion.

it sounds like he is willing to be a backup which is a good thing for Kap. I still suspect he'd like to hold out to see if he can get a starting gig, so depending on who else has shown interest, this may be the way this has turned out.

It may be getting to a point where it makes more sense for him to wait until training camps when there is a greater chance for injuries and teams are more desperate.

I agree , they had a meeting with him and that's all it was at this point.

Doesn't mean they will either sign him or that they won't sign him.

Could it be possible they are waiting to see what happens in camp and with their back up QB Boykin?

If I recall he seems like to have a problem staying out of problems.

I'm sure the Seahawks are doing some PR work to see how Kap might be received.

It may be getting to a point where it makes more sense for him to wait until training camps when there is a greater chance for injuries and teams are more desperate.

I was thinking the same thing.

If he truly wants to be a starter, this is probably his best option at this time.

I will say from a fit perspective, Kap has a similar skillset to Russel Wilson. Yes, I know he's not as good, but the Seahawks would not have to adjust the gameplan a whole ton to make things work with Kap. He's mobile like wilson.

I'm sure that's one of the things that makes him an attractive option.

I"m surprised Buffalo isnt checking him out too as the same situation exists there.

and I would think if you are running an offense with a mobile QB, You probably need a backup because your QB is taking more hits (better chance of injury) and you likely also want a backup who can run the same type of offense.

Agree i think Kap game would fit in nicely with the Seahawks.

The beat writer for the seahawks is saying that the team does not intend to sign him.

Bringing him in was a favor to someone. They never even worked him out for fear he would hurt himself and they would have to pay an injury claim.

Titans backup QB Matt Cassel will be sidelined six weeks with a thumb injury.

He needs surgery to have a pin inserted into his throwing thumb. Even with Marcus Mariota still working his way back from a broken fibula, the Titans don't plan to add any quarterback help. They'll roll with Alex Tanney and Tyler Ferguson as arms for the remainder of OTAs and possibly minicamp.

Colin Kaepernick is never getting a job. The Titans would literally rather go with jag1 and jag2 as arms than sign him.

Think a spot will open up once injuries start to happen? In a situation like that Romo and Cutler will be called upon.

The beat writer for the seahawks is saying that the team does not intend to sign him.

Bringing him in was a favor to someone. They never even worked him out for fear he would hurt himself and they would have to pay an injury claim.

Wow! He's that brittle?

Wow! He's that brittle?

he's 35 years old.

There is a reason why players start dropping off the map at the age of 30 in the NFL. Injuries plays a large part of this.

at 35, those hits from 350 lb linemen hurt a lot more than they do at 28.

He's an adequate game manager, but at his age and skill level, you wouldnt wanna rely on him to be the starter if you can help it.

You take the chance and roll the dice if you have a peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers at the age of 35. You dont take the chance with a Matt Cassel.

he's 35 years old.

There is a reason why players start dropping off the map at the age of 30 in the NFL. Injuries plays a large part of this.

at 35, those hits from 350 lb linemen hurt a lot more than they do at 28.

He's an adequate game manager, but at his age and skill level, you wouldnt wanna rely on him to be the starter if you can help it.

You take the chance and roll the dice if you have a peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers at the age of 35. You dont take the chance with a Matt Cassel.

I believe his brittle comment was about Seattle not wanting Kaepernick for fear of him getting hurt, not Cassel.

I believe his brittle comment was about Seattle not wanting Kaepernick for fear of him getting hurt, not Cassel.

Correct.

I would've thought a " fear of getting hurt " comment would've been for a RG3.

Not for Kap.

Hey Hawkeye. I read Seattle players will wear a number 96 patch on their jerseys this year to honor Kennedy.

Excellent show of respect on Paul Allens part.

I'm hoping maybe the immediate family members would be able to raise the 12th man flag for the first home game too.

If they're up for something like that of course.

It's coming out that he wanted to be paid starters money be Seattle. If that's the fact he's not employable

• Like 1

Wow they passes up on him.

I guess his days are indeed numbered because he stood up for something he believed in.

And instead they sign A Davis.

Interesting how much suffering one must go through just because they have a faith in something.

I for one have no problem in what he did and I truly believe he's better than most of the back QB that are currently on teams.

looks like I owe you an apology Kilroy looks like you are right.

I guess his days are indeed numbered because he stood up for something he believed in.

Interesting how much suffering one must go through just because they have a faith in something.

I for one have no problem in what he did and I truly believe he's better than most of the back QB that are currently on teams.

I agree with you but if Kaepernick is asking for a lot of money then it makes sense that no teams are signing him. He's going to have to be willing to take a huge cut and work his way back up.

From what I have read he is willing to take back up QB money.

Now again this is what I've read, how true that is I don't know.

Seattle is tight to the cap. And I am sure A Davis is a lot cheaper than Kap is.

I'm betting it came down to this.

it could be other things, but I'm pretty sure this is a large driver in this situation.

I'm sure money has a lot to do with it, and of course it does, but PR I'm sure has a lot to do with it also.

Not much looking like he's going to end up anywhere any time soon.

Let preseason roll around and let some injuries start to pile up and someone will sign him eventually.

I still think he's easily manipulated. The first time he ever had his beliefs was last year? If that was his true feelings on society, he would've had those feelings for the last 20 years.

He suddenly gets a really hot girlfriend who is highly active in the black/muslim rights community, AND NOW he's taking a stand?

Player please! He made a stand because his hottie vagina told him to.

I still think he's easily manipulated. The first time he ever had his beliefs was last year? If that was his true feelings on society, he would've had those feelings for the last 20 years.

He suddenly gets a really hot girlfriend who is highly active in the black/muslim rights community, AND NOW he's taking a stand?

Player please! He made a stand because his hottie vagina told him to.

I've heard this argument before and it may be right but who are we to tell him when he should feel the need to make a stand. If he did it the year before then someone would say the same thing. When exactly is the right time to stand up for what you believe in. What would be most convenient for you?

• Like 2

I don't disagree, but does it matter when he stood up for something that means something to him.

I don't know how long he's had these feelings about what he sat down for, but he did it when he felt the time was right.

And standing up or in this case sitting down for something that you truly feel right about is ok by me.

I'm sure money is the biggest issue , but I still say it as a lot to do with PR.

I know myself that I've been late to the party when it as to do with standing up for something I feel is either wrong or right.

He just did it on a big stage, I for one don't have any problem what he did at all, it did nothing to hurt me or bother me.

I'm sorry to those that felt hurt by his actions and I truly understand why they would feel the way they do.

Correct.

I would've thought a " fear of getting hurt " comment would've been for a RG3.

Not for Kap.

If they didn't have any intention of signing him, no reason to work him out.

Kap's not particularly brittle, but there's always that one in a million chance. See what happened with Teddy Bridgewater.

I don't disagree, but does it matter when he stood up for something that means something to him.

I don't know how long he's had these feelings about what he sat down for, but he did it when he felt the time was right.

And standing up or in this case sitting down for something that you truly feel right about is ok by me.

I'm sure money is the biggest issue , but I still say it as a lot to do with PR.

I know myself that I've been late to the party when it as to do with standing up for something I feel is either wrong or right.

He just did it on a big stage, I for one don't have any problem what he did at all, it did nothing to hurt me or bother me.

I'm sorry to those that felt hurt by his actions and I truly understand why they would feel the way they do.

He stood up for what he believed in fine, but it was offensive to a lot of people. A lot of things a person could do to start kaos that is offensive to people that a person may feel there standing up for there beliefs.

I agree with you but if Kaepernick is asking for a lot of money then it makes sense that no teams are signing him. He's going to have to be willing to take a huge cut and work his way back up.

well, the real problem is we dont truly know his salary demands.

if they are unreasonable, he will sit. There is no reason to overpay for someone who isnt gonna be a top 15 QB in the NFL.

If Kap thinks he has bargaining power, he'd better think again.

• Like 1

He stood up for what he believed in fine, but it was offensive to a lot of people. A lot of things a person could do to start kaos that is offensive to people that a person may feel there standing up for there beliefs.

What I found funny is the the people who seemed to be the most outraged are the ones that like to use the term "snowflake" when trying to demean others that they find to be pansies. To me, getting upset over a football player kneeling during the National Anthem to express one of his rights is very hypocritical. Those same people are perfectly fine getting over a player beating his wife, girlfriend or child as long as they help their favorite team or fantasy team win games. This is what bothers me the most.

As for Kaep not getting signed yet, I feel that teams don't want to put up with the media and fans complaining for what it will cost to get him and what he can bring to the team. There isn't a team that's desperate enough yet but that doesn't mean there won't be closer to the start of the season.

• Like 1

What I found funny is the the people who seemed to be the most outraged are the ones that like to use the term "snowflake" when trying to demean others that they find to be pansies. To me, getting upset over a football player kneeling during the National Anthem to express one of his rights is very hypocritical. Those same people are perfectly fine getting over a player beating his wife, girlfriend or child as long as they help their favorite team or fantasy team win games. This is what bothers me the most.

As for Kaep not getting signed yet, I feel that teams don't want to put up with the media and fans complaining for what it will cost to get him and what he can bring to the team. There isn't a team that's desperate enough yet but that doesn't mean there won't be closer to the start of the season.

I think you are onto something here.

I think Kap will play somewhere. I question whether he has priced himself out of the market.

Lots seem to be making a fuss over the off field stuff and the protest. I'd be surprised if this played a big role in the decision. I'd bet this is more about money (and possibly ego)

when a player think's he's better than he is, he gets to demanding more money than he deserves. sometimes this works out for the player, but sometimes that player sits. Right now, I think this is likely what is happening, but I cannot say for sure.

It could also be Ego in the sense that Kap is holding out for a starting job. It's one thing to say you are willing to be a backup, but if you are asking for starter's money, you are essentially saying you dont REALLY want to be a backup.

I don't want a player on my team that wants to be a back up.

Just because he wants to be a starter is not the reason he's not on a team.

It's PR.

Hawkeye great post I wholeheartedly agree with it.

Now for some the money is a big issue but over all it's PR.

I mean come on they sign A Davis.

To me a "snowflake" is what you want on the side of your tire to mean it's winter rated.

Kids and all they're funny terminology these days.

• Like 1

The MMQB with Peter King

Deep Dive

WED JUN. 7, 2017

The 15 Backup Quarterbacks Better Than Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick has a complete inability to play in the pocket. And thats not what teams want to have in their backup signal-caller

by Andy Benoit

0:00

The NFL Salary Cap Explained

Understanding how players get paid.

First off, what youre about to read has zero to do with Colin Kaepernicks protest of the National Anthem. For proof, heres an article that I wrote in March 2016, before the protest, saying that Kaepernick would be out of the NFL before he won another 10 games as a starter.

That forecast appears to be coming true, because Kaepernick cant even find work as a backup. And its mostly due to the same reason he couldnt find work as a starter: teams dont think hes good enough. Twitter went up in arms earlier today when I tweeted this:

Let me amend myselfthere are actually 15 backup quarterbacks better than Kaepernick, and that doesnt even include rookies Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer and Davis Webb.

The list, in no particular order:

Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots

Matt Moore, Dolphins

Colt McCoy, Washington

A.J. McCarron, Bengals

Chad Henne, Jaguars

Geno Smith, Giants

Drew Stanton, Cardinals

Brock Osweiler/Cody Kessler, Browns

Chase Daniel, Saints

Derek Anderson, Panthers

Nick Foles, Eagles

Ryan Mallett, Ravens

Matt Barkley, 49ers

Landry Jones, Steelers

Matt Cassel, Titans

Kaepernick is talented enough to be an NFL backup. In fact, I think hes better than almost half of the backup QB in the league, but thats it. With zero hesitation, I would take any of the 15 backups I listed before Id take Kaepernick, because those 15 quarterbacks are all willing and able to play from the pocket. A few of them have even shown they can make throws from a cluttered pocket. Thats a trait most starters have and one Kaepernick is nowhere near possessing.

Inside the NFL, this is where 90% of the discussion about Kaepernick begins and ends. Playing from the pocket is not a quarterbacking attribute; its a prerequisite. If a teams QB cant play from the pocket, the vast majority of the play designs wont work. Coaches cant draw up plays that call for the quarterback to break down, run around and hopefully find an open guy. Todays defenses are too good for that.

Is Kaepernick capable of dropping back and releasing the ball at the top of his drop? Sure, but usually only when the play design has an either/or readwhen Kaepernick has just one or two receivers to consider and doesnt have to read the entire field or full coverage. But even on these, Kaepernick tends to get off track in his dropback with unsettling regularity. Hell move needlessly, creating pressure that wouldnt have existed. Or at the very least, his needless movement will get him out of sync with the timing of his receivers routes.

Also, when Kaepernick moves, he ceases to be a throwing threat. Watch Tom Bradyhe moves with subtly and nuance, his eyes stay downfield and he almost never sacrifices his readiness to throw. Watch Aaron Rodgershe moves a lot, sometimes unnecessarily, but he never sacrifices his readiness to throw. Stylistically, most NFL starters are like this. (The Bradys and Rodgerses of the world, of course, do it at a much higher level.)

PETER KING'S WEEKLY HOT READ: Want more insider information from Peter King? Check out The MMQB Hot Read.

Kaepernick, on the other hand, brings the ball down, gets out of his throwing stance, takes his eyes to the pass rush and immediately assumes a runners mindset. Sometimes after this, hell try to go back into a passers mindset, which means taking his eyes back to the field and spontaneously reevaluating a defensive look that has now changed and that he hadnt fully processed in the first place.

Imagine playing wide receiver with a quarterback like this. Or blocking for that guy. You have no chance at establishing rhythm. The timing and detail that youve practiced over and over goes out the window.

Exacerbating matters, Kaepernick is not a proficient passer on the move. A coach of his once told me, He only has one club in his golf bag. What the coach meant was Kaepernick can throw fastballs, but only fastballs. When he nails those, they look as good as anything youll see. His arm can be incredible. But touch passes? Anticipation passes? Theyre not in his bag.

Kaepernick is a talented athlete. (Though its worth noting that his athleticism was significantly diminished by rapid weight loss last offseason. Teams are surely wondering whether hell ever recapture it.) But hes not a talented quarterback. His weaknesses happen to be the very weaknesses that an NFL quarterback can least afford to have.

I know what youll say next: In 2012, Kaepernick went to the Super Bowl! Yes. It was on an uber-talented 49ers team, and Kaepernick stepped in midseason. His style of play was extremely unconventional, especially considering 2012 was the year the read-option burst onto the scene. Defenses had not seen a quarterback like him and, in the middle of the season, they didnt have time to figure out a full response.

But after the Super Bowl, teams had time to study Kaepernick and the rest of the leagues flawed-but-mobile quarterbacks, including Robert Griffin (who is also now unemployedas that same March 2016 article predicted). The more of Kaepernick they saw, the more ways they found to exploit his failings. Not coincidentally, until last season, Kaepernicks passer rating, TD-INT ratio, sack rating and yards per attempt declined steadily from 201315.

Last seasons statistical rebound was mostly artificial. The Niners went 110 in games that Kaepernick started, and each week, the tape revealed a startling number of plays where Kaepernicks read was clear, but he didnt attempt the throw. This has always been an issue with Kaepernick, and its one that fans can never see on paper. Theres no way to statistically capture the impact of balls that should be thrown but arent.

To coaches, unattempted open throws are a huge problem, probably worse than everything except turnovers.

How Jeremy Maclin became expendable: And why the Chiefs shouldn't suffer a huge drop-off without him

Each backup has his own limitations, but none of them have an utter inability to operate on schedule and from the pocket, like Kaepernick does. Are (most of) these guys great in the pocket? Of course notthats why theyre backups. But stylistically, theyre all capable of consistent pocket quarterbacking. The last thing a coach wants to do is rewrite his offense for a backup QB. When the backup is in, your hope is to continue running the bulk of your system. Kaepernicks unique but flawed style does not fit many systems. The closest one would be Seattles, and the Seahawks decided this week that theyd rather have Austin Davis.

Maybe this indirectly takes us to the anthem protest. The fallout from the protest has made Kaepernick a distraction, not because of what he did, but because of the attention that follows him for it. Most people in the NFL probably have no problem with Kaepernicks protest. They may not have liked it, but they accepted his right to do it and his commitment to the movement. Still, because of it, Kaepernick, who was already polarizing to begin with, has become a lightning rod. To sign Kaepernick, a team must be willing to take on the distraction that follows lightning rods. And the team must be willing to alter its entire offense (for worse). Its not worth it, just like it wasnt worth it a few years ago with Tim Tebow.

Tebow, in fact, was virtually the exact same scenario as Kaepernick, only more extreme. Tebows supporters were more ardent than Kaepernicks, and Tebow was a markedly worse QB. NFL teams dont care which end of the spectrum the distraction comes from. They only care that the backup quarterback brings any sort of distraction. But more than that, they care that the quarterback cant play the way they need him to play.

Sponsored Content

Best & Worst Refinance Mortgage Companies of 2017

Best & Worst Refinance Mortgage Companies of 2017

(Comparisons.org)

Teen Goes Missing In Aruba. But 10 Years Later, Police Uncover Truth

Teen Goes Missing In Aruba. But 10 Years Later, Police Uncover Truth

(Direct Expose)

Top 5 Best Debt Relief Options

Top 5 Best Debt Relief Options

(reviews.comparisons.org)

Funny Plane Photos That Will Make You Giggle All Day

Funny Plane Photos That Will Make You Giggle All Day

(Worldation Travel Magazine)

Recommended by

Contact Customer Service Site Map Buy Issue Media Kit Cover Collection Picture Sales

Privacy Policy California Privacy Rights Terms of Use Ad Choices

© 2017 Time Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Read our privacy guidelines, your California privacy rights, and ad choices.

I dont feel i have to be blunt to make a point, so ill try once more. Take the most offensive thing you can think of for a guy to take a knee for. Everyone has the right to do it, but it can rub alot of people the wrong way. Some people the flag means way to much to have it dishonored at a sporting event. 1 woman decided to do it for gay rights, a 10 year old decided to do it at a midget football game, a singer decided to do it. No woman could destroy my pride in country and think Kap could buy better.

I dont feel i have to be blunt to make a point, so ill try once more. Take the most offensive thing you can think of for a guy to take a knee for. Everyone has the right to do it, but it can rub alot of people the wrong way. Some people the flag means way to much to have it dishonored at a sporting event. 1 woman decided to do it for gay rights, a 10 year old decided to do it at a midget football game, a singer decided to do it. No woman could destroy my pride in country and think Kap could buy better.

Just kneeling in protest to raise awareness for something really shouldn't be that big of deal or even that offensive. I understand that it will upset some but out of all the things going on in the world there are greater issues. I wish people would be more outraged with players that beat there girlfriend, wife or kid. Guys are committing actual crimes and still playing and people tend to forget about it quickly. Lets try and put things in better perspective.

Yep. Tyreek Hill should never see a football field over Kaepernick

Yep. Tyreek Hill should never see a football field over Kaepernick

Tyreek Hill has skills that can help his team win. Kaepernick does not.