Sign in to follow this  
HOKIEZ

League dispute- chime in please

We have a 5 RB rule. Can only roster 5 RB, plain and simple. Commisioner grabs Tre Mason and Denard Robinson yesterday. Mason was RB #5 on his roster and the debate is, does Denard count as #6?

We use yahoo and Denard obviously is listed as WR, RB. Commish is claiming some "mccluster loophole" that was used in previous years, which i dont really recall how we handled. During our draft, in the last round a guy asked about denard and our commish said it would count as one of our RBs..which at least 3 people now are conffirming they heard. Commish says he doesnt remember talking about denard...

Im tempted to keep pressing the issue but my team is terrible and i wont lose sleep over it....just curious if anyone has any opinions on this

A couple of things. One, if he grabbed them during the game, your league needs some waiver rules. Second, if he said that during the draft, you need to call him out on it.

Preachin to the choir on the waivers..im not gonna bore people with ripping on my own league but its getting to the point of no return.

Sounds like the commish is being a real a-hole. Robinson had 22 rush attempt with 0 receptions yesterday according to my cbs stats. However, if in the past these dual classified players have been allowed to go either way he is entitled to pull this off. I would have a HUGE complaint if he did indeed say during the draft he had to be used as a RB only. The use of Robinson in no way contradicts his feeling during the draft. He made the right call that night, but apparently now that it benefits him he "forgets" the discussion. I guess a suitable punishment would be to allow it, and hopefully he actually chases points and starts him next week.

Have a vote on it all you can really do. My view on it is if the player lines up more as a receiver versus running back I guess that would fly, if he lines up more as running back than wide receiver, I don't think he should've been able to add Robinson.

My opinion is..at least recognize that we talked about denard at the draft and if at that time you were wrong with what you said then at least admit it but dont act like it never happened when others are confirming they remember the convo as well

If this helps the player around franchise tag time I get it but fantasy football is just peanuts.

Not only is your commish a self-serving assbag, but he's a moron. His roster limit rule sucks, as does his waiver rules, as does his ethics.

Ive never understood why yahoo wouldnt just update the position...hes officially the starting running back...how hard of a change is that..he is clearly not a WR

Have a vote on it all you can really do. My view on it is if the player lines up more as a receiver versus running back I guess that would fly, if he lines up more as running back than wide receiver, I don't think he should've been able to add Robinson.

If yahoo lists him as both, then IMO what position he plays more of isn't really the issue. The issue is that the commish himself wouldn't let others add him during the draft because he was, in his mind, a "RB." Punch... face... family...

Not only is your commish a self-serving assbag, but he's a moron. His roster limit rule sucks, as does his waiver rules, as does his ethics.

Well said. Let me guess... all this... and on Yahoo... I bet it's also a free league?

It reminds me of Pujols in baseball he has like 3 positions to his name early on. I'd get the first base put outs and have him in left field position. Take advantage while you can with Robinson.

Yahoo isn't the only league listing him as a WR/RB. I'm in some leagues at MFL where he's listed as WR simply because Jacksonville kept him listed that way last season and never changed his position title. If he is listed as both, there is no problem with him being used that way. I wasn't at your draft, but why would Robinson's name even come up? In all my drafts, he was not only not drafted, his name never even came up. He wasn't even a blip on the radar with Toby, Todman and Johnson all ahead of him on the depth chart. Seems odd to have a conversation about a 4th string running back during a very short draft.....

IMO you need to ride it out. This idea that some people now believe he said something sounds weak. Is it in writing or not? Sounds like after the fact, "yeah, he said it" stuff.

You are on a free site that at times makes poor choices. For the future propose and pass a rule, a player with multiple designations are relegated to the higher scoring position, ie QB>RB>WR>TE.

If your league is very old you should have already encountered this situation. Back in the day Colston was a WR/TE and more recently, and disturbingly, Joe Webb was a QB/WR.

Agreed that "what was said at draft" is worthless. If it's not a rule, it's not a rule.

Unless you're playing the semantics game, or are willing to yield completely to Yahoos assessment, there is no argument that Robinson is a running back. He will be their RB going forward. Easily the most impressive back they have on the roster.

Yea bottom line we need something in writing or go over rules before draft every year..our own faults i guess for not remembering how we handled mccluster in the past. Joe webb and colston are diff. situations...we are talking about having over 5 RBs rostered here. I could care less of he wants to play denard at WR.

And yes denard was asked about at our draft...was not drafted but for some reason a guy brought him up

Was there a mccluster rule? Did he count as a RB?

If he did not denard should not .. should follow the stupid way yahoo has it.

For those arguing about what was said at the draft not being a rule, as a commish I disagree. If I set up a league with a 5 RB cap, it's pretty clear that position determination is an important factor in who you draft. If you asked the commish and he says that Robinson will be treated as a RB at the start of the year and gives the league that clarification, then I feel that becomes a rule. It's not like some random guy just blurted this out.

Now to prove he said it is another thing. I'm not sure 3 out of however many you have in your league is enough justification. If you had more than half I'd say it's obvious, but it's probably real easy to find three owners who want a shot a picking up Robinson after last week.

For those arguing about what was said at the draft not being a rule, as a commish I disagree. If I set up a league with a 5 RB cap, it's pretty clear that position determination is an important factor in who you draft. If you asked the commish and he says that Robinson will be treated as a RB at the start of the year and gives the league that clarification, then I feel that becomes a rule. It's not like some random guy just blurted this out.

Now to prove he said it is another thing. I'm not sure 3 out of however many you have in your league is enough justification. If you had more than half I'd say it's obvious, but it's probably real easy to find three owners who want a shot a picking up Robinson after last week.

I think that's the gist of the argument. Not that anything verbal doesn't count, but that something the commish says in the last round of the draft pertaining to one particular player, that only a couple guys think they heard, is insufficient to be considered a rule. And if you had to put the rule in place previously for another player, why isn't it documented in your league rules?

In our league, situations have come up on draft day. Either the owners immediately vote, majority rules and the rule is enacted or it's tabled for next off season.