Sign in to follow this  
Mark_it_8_Dude

Who are you starting over Lee Evans?

CBS Sportsline list Evans as a "sit" this week. Going against Champ Bailey and Dre Bly I can understand it. So who are you going to play over Evans?

I think I am going with Houshmanzadeh and Mark Clayton. Hoping for a Monday night slugfest. :unsure:

I also am not sure if I am going to start him. My only other option i have is Braylon Edwards or Arnaz Battle

Of those two options, Battle has the best match-up. I think that the Cards and 9ers will both score a lot of points.

I currently have him starting, but am seriously second guessing. I may plug in DJax or Santonio. Actually, if I were 100% sure Djax was healthy, I would probably go with him.

I have Steve Smith and Roy Williams starting ahead of Evans this week. I still need to check the past matchup stats before my decision is final.

I also am not sure if I am going to start him. My only other option i have is Braylon Edwards or Arnaz Battle

Evans is a deep threat no matter who they play, even if Buffalo is getting the crap kicked out of them what will they do? They won't be running the ball. If you drafted Evans to be your starter, then start him.

I was hoping that Driver would be out then I was going to start James Jones over Evans.. now I am not sure. Possibly Hackett, but I may just suck it up and consider Evans a stud for the week. I guess I will know for sure 5 minutes before game time. :pointstosky:

I still have Evans in my lineup over Berrian and L. Coles... I still figure he will do as good as either of those... If Denver gets a lead then Buffalo will have to air it out... That is what I am hoping for anyway... :pointstosky:

I still have Evans in my lineup over Berrian and L. Coles... I still figure he will do as good as either of those... If Denver gets a lead then Buffalo will have to air it out... That is what I am hoping for anyway... :pointstosky:

I tend to agree.. the stud corners of Denver will hurt Cutler more than Evans IMO.. if he can't get deep, he will still be the possession guy and rack up 60-80 and a TD. I think I will stick it out with Evans. I drafted him as my go to guy.. and I need him to step up. :doublethumbsup:

Evans is a deep threat no matter who they play, even if Buffalo is getting the crap kicked out of them what will they do? They won't be running the ball. If you drafted Evans to be your starter, then start him.

An actual voice of reason? It's the 1st week of the season and we're debating starting Arnaz Battle over Lee Evans? It's gonna be a long season for the owners that have that itchy of trigger fingers. :doublethumbsup:

A couple years ago I lost on Monday night when CJ absolutely lit up Champ Bailey. Went into the game thinking I had the win, came out losing badly.

one double move and it's 80 yards and 6 for mr. evans.

You play your best players.

I agree, but I'm not talking about playing Marshawn Lynch over Steven Jackson or anything like that. It is easier to play match-ups with WRs, because week in and week out, it is harder to know who the best one will be. Not be contray or anything, but

4th Round: Housh, vs. Bal

5th Round: Evans, vs. Den

6th Round: Mark Clayton, vs. Cin

We are talking very similar value as far as where I drafted them, and of the three I'd say Clayton has the best match-up, and since it is week one how are you to know who has more potential?

Just for fun, I had Evans last year and started him, his stat line for week 1 vs. Det: 1 catch 8 yards 0 TDs that is 0 points in most scoring formats. Wish I had been playing the match-ups last year.

What about Plax over Evans?

Personally I think Plax has more potential this week than Evans, but I'm a Giants fan so take that for what it is worth.

Oh yeah, one more thing not to forget, "No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills." - used without permission of Chris Berman. It's a crap shoot people and everyone has an opinion that is why this board exists.

I tend to agree with "start your studs" With that said, Denver is probably the toughest matchup he will face all season. Might Evans go for 150 and 2 TDs? Sure, but I'd be more willing to bet he has 2 catches for 19 yards. I'm starting Reggie Brown over him. Most people probably don't have that luxury, but it's not as simple as "start your 4th round pick."

geez I didn't even give it much of a thought. Evans should be a must start every week. Now I am thinking of not starting him.

Got Chad going and will throughout the season. Its between Evans and Branch.

Though I could start all three (one as a flex) and only start Westbrook (bench TJones)

I just can't see how you would bench Evans. Man I wish I didn't read this thread

:thumbsup:

I tend to agree with "start your studs" With that said, Denver is probably the toughest matchup he will face all season. Might Evans go for 150 and 2 TDs? Sure, but I'd be more willing to bet he has 2 catches for 19 yards. I'm starting Reggie Brown over him. Most people probably don't have that luxury, but it's not as simple as "start your 4th round pick."

:thumbsup: thank you.

I agree, but I'm not talking about playing Marshawn Lynch over Steven Jackson or anything like that. It is easier to play match-ups with WRs, because week in and week out, it is harder to know who the best one will be. Not be contray or anything, but

4th Round: Housh, vs. Bal

5th Round: Evans, vs. Den

6th Round: Mark Clayton, vs. Cin

We are talking very similar value as far as where I drafted them, and of the three I'd say Clayton has the best match-up, and since it is week one how are you to know who has more potential?

Just for fun, I had Evans last year and started him, his stat line for week 1 vs. Det: 1 catch 8 yards 0 TDs that is 0 points in most scoring formats. Wish I had been playing the match-ups last year.

What are you talking about? Detroit is a miserable defense. Nobody with half a brain playing matchups would EVER sit ANYONE playing Detroit. Usually you look for players playing Detroit and immediately pencil them in. Your statement makes no sense.

Last year Evans scored Td's in games against GB and Chi. Two teams with great D's and/or Corners. You just never know. Housh is absolutely in the same tier as Evans. Clayton though? No friggin way. Not even close. Play Housh and Evans. That's the smart play.

geez I didn't even give it much of a thought. Evans should be a must start every week. Now I am thinking of not starting him.

Got Chad going and will throughout the season. Its between Evans and Branch.

Though I could start all three (one as a flex) and only start Westbrook (bench TJones)

I just can't see how you would bench Evans. Man I wish I didn't read this thread

Sorry unckeyherb... didn't mean to throw you a curve ball, just discussing options. I am certainly not saying don't play Evans, he will probably be ok, especially if I don't play him. If he goes off, you can dig this post up and say "HA HA!" and I will know that I am truely a dope.

Good Luck!

- Dude

What are you talking about? Detroit is a miserable defense. Nobody with half a brain playing matchups would EVER sit ANYONE playing Detroit. Usually you look for players playing Detroit and immediately pencil them in. Your statement makes no sense.

You're right my point was more along the lines of even with a good match-up, a guy can still put up a big zero. You just don't know.

Last year Evans scored Td's in games against GB and Chi. Two teams with great D's and/or Corners. You just never know. Housh is absolutely in the same tier as Evans. Clayton though? No friggin way. Not even close. Play Housh and Evans. That's the smart play.

You are probably right. Doesn't mean that is what I am going to do... that is what makes this a fun discussion. For me anyway.

:banana:

One more and I'll let this thread die and get back to work...

Junkyard Jake

Housh... #11

Mark Clayton... #23

Evans... #28

Not that Junkyard Jake knows everything, just evidence that match-ups can influence a person's pick.

Good luck all!

One more and I'll let this thread die and get back to work...

Junkyard Jake

Housh... #11

Mark Clayton... #23

Evans... #28

Not that Junkyard Jake knows everything, just evidence that match-ups can influence a person's pick.

Good luck all!

If I even knew who the frick Junkyard Jaggoff was, then that might mean something..... wait, nope. still wouldn't. Nobody can convince me that playing Mark Clayton over Lee Evans is the right call this week.

There are great corners and then there is Champ Bailey. Evans IMO is as good as any WR in the league. That being said, not too many QB's in the league have the cahones to try Bailey, and for good reason. Will Evans get the looks this week that he usually does? That is the real question...

If I even knew who the frick Junkyard Jaggoff was, then that might mean something..... wait, nope. still wouldn't. Nobody can convince me that playing Mark Clayton over Lee Evans is the right call this week.

for clarity... I haven't tried to convince anyone to play Clayton over Evans, or anyone else for that matter, just discussing options. I don't even know for sure who I am going to play this week. Just looking at the match-ups that's all.

CBS Sportsline list Evans as a "sit" this week. Going against Champ Bailey and Dre Bly I can understand it. So who are you going to play over Evans?

I think I am going with Houshmanzadeh and Mark Clayton. Hoping for a Monday night slugfest. :doublethumbsup:

I'm not sure I'd use CBS Sportsline as my authority on whom to sit and start. Yes, he's playing against Champ, but the good players make plays, and Evans is good. Unless you have a very strong alternative, I'd keep Evans in there and hope for the best. It's not like Bailey has never been beaten for a TD.

I started thinking about this on Monday. I submitted Joey Galloway as my starter over Evans but will probably change my mind last minute. Whichever one I play now, the other will put up the better stats. Thats how I roll.

something to think about...

The reason that No. 1 WRs don't do anything against Champ Bailey is that the opposing QBs usually just don't even try to throw the ball their way. Buffalo might not have that option.

There is no other quality WR on that team other than Lee Evans. There is no one even close to as talented. When Denver gets a lead on Buffalo - Buffalo will have no choice but to air it out.

They're not going to try to win the game passing the ball to Josh Reed. They are going to try to catch up doing the one thing that they are good at - Throwing it very far to Lee Evans.

Am I saying that Lee Evans will beat Champ? No I'm not. But if they leave any decent WR in 1 on 1 coverage with any corner long enough, chances are that they will get beat once or twice.

I think Lee Evans has a damn good chance at getting behind Champ Bailey once or twice. Will they connect? Well that's another story. But I think the chances are good enough to start Evans.

Start Stud recievers when playing good cover corners

Reason?

Look at what happened to Chicago last year against Steve Smith. Most secondaries change coverages depending on formations. I doubt with 2 good corners they shadow Evans with Champ every play. If Evans goes in motion then maybe Bly or the safety picks him up. If Bailey does happen to shadow him all game that also means that they probably wont roll coverage his way either, leaving Evans and Bailey 1 on 1. Ill take that match-up all day over double coverage. There are ways to get your best reciever the ball no matter who the corner is (slants, WR screens, work out of the slot, etc...)

The Broncos are not going to give Bailey help unless he really needs it. That means Evans will be out on an island with Champ in most circumstances. That also means that Losman will have to target Evans often if they plan to stay true to thier offensive strategy. By the time that they start to roll coverage over to help Bailey out, its probably too late, Evans already scored.

Look at Jerry Porter highlights when he matches up against Bailey....you'll see what I mean......

I also want to add one more thing........... You should not under any circumstances start playing Matchups in Week 1. The earliest any fantasy owner should be rationally contemplating starting/benching players based on matchups and numbers should be Week 4 or 5. Every year is different, especially in Today's NFL. For the first 4 weeks, you should be starting your best players (or your percieved best players from your draft). Then adjust accordingly.

One thing to remember about Champ Bailey - he's a riverboat gambler out there on the corner. And like jbwillisjr pointed out, he's out there in single coverage, making gambling dangerous. Chad Johnson took him to town because of it.

I guess what I'm saying is that Lee Evans is exactly the kind of receiver that can take advantage of Bailey's aggressiveness, much the same way Chad Johnson did.

I have Steve Smith and Roy Williams starting ahead of Evans this week. I still need to check the past matchup stats before my decision is final.

Wouldn't you start ROY and SS over Evans anyway???

6 man league?

I'm starting TO, Marv, and Chad Johnson ahead of him. I might bench TO for Steve Smith though.

I'm starting TO, Marv, and Chad Johnson ahead of him. I might bench TO for Steve Smith though.

Cues "Are you in a 6 team league" response in 3........2..........

Wouldn't you start ROY and SS over Evans anyway???

6 man league?

6 man league?

I have them both in a 12 man league.

You shouldn't speak so much, you are constantly wrong.

I drafted 5th in a 12 team league.

1.5 -- Larry Johnson

2.6 -- Brandon Jacobs

3.5 -- Steve Smith

4.6 -- Roy Williams

You shouldn't assume so much. Alot of leagues are very, very RB heavy. WRs slip. I'm sure the guy that you called out is in a similar situation.

Try to keep your assumptions to yourself next time.

Cues "Are you in a 6 team league" response in 3........2..........

Queues "turn your sarcasm sensor from retarded to slightly oblivious" asap.

Cues are for playing billiards

Queues "turn your sarcasm sensor from retarded to slightly oblivious" asap.

Cues are for playing billiards

I wasn't mocking you. I was mocking the many posters that frequently give those type of responses. :overhead:

But since you don't want to be left out ............ if you truly have those WRs on your team, then you must be playing with the Short Bus All-Stars.