Sign in to follow this  
whoisjgalt

Playoffs and seeding - what happens?

Need to talk about this before it gets any further along...

Last offseason, we voted for "6 Teams with 4 division winners and 2 wild cards from any conference!" here

If the playoffs started today, there'd be four teams from the N-S conference and two from the E-W conference. So, somebody would need to cross over.

If that happens, then how do we choose which team crosses over? Ideas:

A) the better of the two wildcard teams chooses who crosses over

:rolleyes: the better of the two division winners without a bye chooses who crosses over

C) use an irony dice roll - roll one die with 1000 sides and the higher roll crosses over

D) no cross over - just make it one wildcard from each conference

E) have no conference structure for the playoffs (I hate this idea - I think it's important to maintain the intraconference rivalries)

F) something else

bigmarc27:

D - I actually thought this was the way it was done anyway.

Fenwickzone's latest poll on RTSports suggests that this was his expectation too. This works well enough - but wasn't exactly what we agreed to in the vote.

Farmer Bernie:

bigmarc27:

D - I actually thought this was the way it was done anyway.

A

The best wildcard team can reward himself by playing in what he feels to be the weaker conference.

I think a dice roll would be the fairest way to handle this.

I'd hate to have to change something we voted on for this year before the event even takes place because you guys failed to read. :rolleyes: We can revote after this years playoffs if we want to change it again.

Although, if a good majority feels strongly about having one wild card team from each conference then we can seriously look at that.

After summarizing these it appears 6 of you want one team from each conference.

1 dice roll

1 no conf structure

1 let leading wild card choose

I still do feel pretty strongly about not changing the direction of a vote that we had decided prior to the start to the season.

thedanzone:

I still do feel pretty strongly about not changing the direction of a vote that we had decided prior to the start to the season.

While I can see the confusion, I agree that changing in the middle of the season is not good.

The purpose of calling this out what to see how it'll be implemented. That part was never made clear in the vote, hence the need to seek more clarity now.

The poll question - "Who's coming out of the North-South Conference" - added to the confusion. Not that it was intentional...

whoisjgalt:

The purpose of calling this out what to see how it'll be implemented. That part was never made clear in the vote, hence the need to seek more clarity now.

The poll question - "Who's coming out of the North-South Conference" - added to the confusion. Not that it was intentional...

I agree, it is an issue that needs to be tackled! The sooner the better!

Seeing how we already voted on the main issue, I do not believe we should revote it, we do not have any Florida residents here. The vote should be how to handle the wild card if they both come from the same conference.

What are your thoughts on a revote, because obviously if we allow a revote, it's already decided.

I'm curious to see what others think as well.

rurbaniak:

What are the rules for the playoff seed's?? I couldn't find anything on it.

Standings, H2H Comp. then Total Points Scored.

thedanzone:

rurbaniak:

What I meant was, does the North and South only meet in the Superbowl during the playoffs? I get the impression from Jgalt that this is how it's laid out. So that's why would need a cross over team because we're playing through our conference first. Right??

rurbaniak:

thedanzone:

rurbaniak:

What I meant was, does the North and South only meet in the Superbowl during the playoffs? I get the impression from Jgalt that this is how it's laid out. So that's why would need a cross over team because we're playing through our conference first. Right??
If both wild card winners come from the same conference then one of those wild cards will have to play someone from an opposite conference.

The N-S will meet an E-W team in the superbowl. Normally there is no cross over until the superbowl.

thedanzone:

If both wild card winners come from the same conference then one of those wild cards will have to play someone from an opposite conference.

The N-S will meet an E-W team in the superbowl. Normally there is no cross over until the superbowl.

Right, so all we really need to decide is what happens if the same conference produces both wildcards. If that happens, then which wildcard crosses over. Or, we could avoid cross overs by having one wildcard from each conference - since this is what most thought we were doing. And that's why it was listed as an option.

Note that my thread asked for a discussion, not a vote. I listed ideas and assigned them letters for ease of discussion. I wasn't intending my response that quoted mongo to be a vote - just a further clarification.

If we wait too long to decide something, then many of us will be voting based on who we want to play in the playoffs. Let's decide before it gets to that point.