Sign in to follow this  
shovelheadt

Dumbest move of the offseason

The Charger's mistake came when they drafted Rivvers in the first place. That was a wasted opportunity that could have been better used for a position that they actually needed. After you take a player that high, you have to give him a chance to start so thier fate has pretty much been sealed since then. You would have thought they could have traded one of those guys and gotten something in return though.

On McCarthy... meh, I guess we'll see if he can pan out to do anything positive. We may very well have someone new in there in another year or two. I don't think they should have kept Sherman though - not that he is a bad coach, but he inherited a well built team that was basically built around Favre - I don't know that he would be able to make the necessary changes to the team that will need to happen to compensate for the loss of Favre. I also think his firing is a direct reflection of Favre's performance as well... a subtle way of saying, we think it is time for you to retire but we respect you enough that we will never come out and say that publicly.

This is easy.....the Vikings trading a Pro Bowl franchise quarterback for a 2nd round pick. Dumbest move since the Randy Moss deal.........which was the dumbest move since the Herchel Walker deal. Go Vikings!!

I am sorry, did I miss Culpepper's season last year. From what I recall he was awful, and Brad Johnson came in and nearly took them to the playoffs. Culpepper was exposed and the Vikes dumped salary and got a second rounder for a guy with one leg. Advantage Vikings.

1. The contract given to Steve Hutchinson. Its simply the 2nd or 3rd least important position on the field. 1. FB, 2, OG or SSLB.

Uhm, right - so it's just a big coincedence that Wherever Lorenzo Neal has played, the running back has surpassed the 1000 yard mark?

:rolleyes:

And it's also a coincedence that 80% (+/-) of Alexander's TDs went to the left side last year?

:blink:

You're underrating those positions significantly, IMO.

I am sorry, did I miss Culpepper's season last year. From what I recall he was awful, and Brad Johnson came in and nearly took them to the playoffs. Culpepper was exposed and the Vikes dumped salary and got a second rounder for a guy with one leg. Advantage Vikings.

2 years from now Brad Johnson will be out of the league, and Daunte Culpepper will be winning a division.

I think the Viking may have screwed up on this one, but given Daunte forcing their hand they may not have had a choice. Daunte is a top 5 QB when healthy. I really like this move for the Dolphins..Buy low. yes a 2nd rounder is a bargain for a happy franchise QB

Uhm, right - so it's just a big coincedence that Wherever Lorenzo Neal has played, the running back has surpassed the 1000 yard mark?

And it's also a coincedence that 80% (+/-) of Alexander's TDs went to the left side last year?

You're underrating those positions significantly, IMO.

I am not saying there is no importantce to those positions. It's obviously better to have a good guy there than not. However, I would much rather have a pro bowl performer at every other position. Here's how I would rate the positions.

1. QB

2. DE

3. OT

4. WR

5. CB

6. DT

7. RB

8. MLB + WSLB

9. TE

10. S

11. C

12. OG

13. SSLB

14. FB

I can't find the info, but I bet if you looked at franchise tag values, the list would be very close to this. i.e. NFL GMs agree.

The Charger's mistake came when they drafted Rivvers in the first place. That was a wasted opportunity that could have been better used for a position that they actually needed. After you take a player that high, you have to give him a chance to start so thier fate has pretty much been sealed since then. You would have thought they could have traded one of those guys and gotten something in return though.

If you view it in the context in which it occurred, it makes a lot more sense. Why were they in a position to deal Eli Manning and take Rivers? Because they had the #1 overall pick. Why did they have the #1 overall pick? Because they sucked. Who was QB that year and the year before? That's right - Drew Brees.

I applaud all the love he's gotten the last 2 seasons because he's certainly earned it, but he was a severe underachiever before that, and his status with the team was "make or break" when they traded the #1 and got Rivers. Brees stepped up to the challenge and had his most solid season as a pro. But in camp in 2004, he was competing for the gig with Rivers. Rivers being green was the only reason Brees got to start in 2004, and having performed extremely well (with Rivers breathing down his neck) he was handed the gig in 2005.

Enter 2006: Brees has (to the Chargers grave misfortune) the bad luck to tear his rotator cuff - making him a very risky 10 million dollar signing, and dramatically hurting his trade value.

I think the Chargers played this one as well as they could have given the circumstances. Hindsight is always 20-20. :blink:

ps - Brees should send Antonio Gates a thank you note for the 10 mil he just signed to.

Not sure it's the dumbest move, but $5 mil/year for DeShaun Foster is the equivalent of lighting $5 mil on fire. The guy is a walking injury. What is he up to now, his 10th injury in 4 years of NFL duty? Including a broken leg when last seen on an NFL field. :blink:

Not sure it's the dumbest move, but $5 mil/year for DeShaun Foster is the equivalent of lighting $5 mil on fire. The guy is a walking injury. What is he up to now, his 10th injury in 4 years of NFL duty? Including a broken leg when last seen on an NFL field. :blink:

Actually, this is a fantastic nomination. It definately deserves the "wataf award" for 2006 offseason in the very least.

I was positive that CAR would be seeking a RB in FA and was shocked they didn't go after James - he seems like the perfect replacement for Steven "Nevah bench" Davis. I would have let Foster walk, signed Edge and drafted youth.

I guess they were impressed with his last 2 solid games (before the broken ankle). When healthy, the guy certainly puts up numbers, but the chances of him playing 16 games seems like about 10000:1

Good call. :blink:

This is easy.....the Vikings trading a Pro Bowl franchise quarterback for a 2nd round pick. Dumbest move since the Randy Moss deal.........which was the dumbest move since the Herchel Walker deal. Go Vikings!!

what makes it even funnier is that the dolpins traded an even higher 2nd round pick 2 years ago to the eagles for.....A.J. Feeley

what makes it even funnier is that the dolpins traded an even higher 2nd round pick 2 years ago to the eagles for.....A.J. Feeley

Not that I want to see you go or anything, but...

me and jocstrap have a wager:

if the eagles finish 7-9 or worse, the name "crestwood" is dead.

if the eagles finish 9-7 or better, the name "jocstrap" is dead.

8-8, push.

Not sure it's the dumbest move, but $5 mil/year for DeShaun Foster is the equivalent of lighting $5 mil on fire. The guy is a walking injury. What is he up to now, his 10th injury in 4 years of NFL duty? Including a broken leg when last seen on an NFL field. :D

That would only be true if the $5M you lit on fire counted against your salary cap.

Not that I want to see you go or anything, but...

me and jocstrap have a wager:

if the eagles finish 7-9 or worse, the name "crestwood" is dead.

if the eagles finish 9-7 or better, the name "jocstrap" is dead.

8-8, push.

another eagles welcher, say it aint so :D

another eagles welcher, say it aint so :D

for the millionth time, i am going to drop this name and honor the bet. the problem is, with these new rules about not having aliases or you get the boot, i am worried that if i create a new name, i'll get the boot off the bored for technically creating analias. once i find out for sure that i can create a new name, i'll promptly ditch this name and complete the bet. please hold tight, while i figure out an answer.

for the millionth time, i am going to drop this name and honor the bet. the problem is, with these new rules about not having aliases or you get the boot, i am worried that if i create a new name, i'll get the boot off the bored for technically creating analias. once i find out for sure that i can create a new name, i'll promptly ditch this name and complete the bet. please hold tight, while i figure out an answer.

i apologize, my mistake :ninja:

If, as rumoured, Brees' shoulder is worse than everyone thinks it is - then what can the Chargers do? Franchise him again?

Yeah it's not great for them, but it may well be the best they could have done in the circumstances. They were clearly screwed by Brees' injury.

You can count me in the minority about Brees. There is no way the Chargers should have given him (and his bum shoulder) a bunch of guaranteed money with a young QB waiting in the wings. Brees himself concedes that there's a legitimate chance that he might not be 100% this year. Did no one learn anything from the Pennington disaster? Apparently the Chargers did. I'll add a little more fuel to the fire. It is EXTREMELY rare to find a successful short, pocket QB in today's NFL. That is what Brees has been. His physical makeup is worthy of concern. Add in a shoulder injury to an already mediocre arm, and you're looking at a recipe for disaster. Yet the Chargers should give him a bunch of guaranteed money when they have a 6-4 prototype passer sitting on the bench that they drafted in the top 5? That the Chargers didn't sign Brees long-term after the previous season speaks volumes that they wanted Phillips to take the reigns eventually anyway. They weren't going to get anything for damaged goods, so you can throw the trade idea out the window.

I laughed when I read the Deshaun Foster post. I agree completely. Certain guys just have a physical make-up that isn't appropriate for the NFL RB position. You can track Foster's injuries back into college as well.

I'll be watching the Miami situation carefully. Trading a second round pick for a QB that blew out 3 ligaments is risky. Not to mention, there seem to be some off-the-field concerns. You can get in a lot more trouble in Miami than you can in Minneapolis. It could work out for them, but it's worth watching. High risk, high reward.

I'll be watching the Miami situation carefully. Trading a second round pick for a QB that blew out 3 ligaments is risky. Not to mention, there seem to be some off-the-field concerns. You can get in a lot more trouble in Miami than you can in Minneapolis. It could work out for them, but it's worth watching. High risk, high reward.

Saban seems keen to get value out of character concerns, though. Chowder is a prime example, nobody else wanted to touch him.

Imho, as a Brit, I think the league, as a whole, overrates character concerns and morality in general. As long as the player performs on the field and isn't disruptive to the team off it (and IIRC there's nothing to suggest that Culpepper didn't have the backing of his teammates) the fans won't care and the stats won't care either.

The problem is why let Brees walk this year when all along they were going to let him walk? I would had traded him the year before and let Rivers take over.

You can count me in the minority about Brees. There is no way the Chargers should have given him (and his bum shoulder) a bunch of guaranteed money with a young QB waiting in the wings. Brees himself concedes that there's a legitimate chance that he might not be 100% this year. Did no one learn anything from the Pennington disaster? Apparently the Chargers did. I'll add a little more fuel to the fire. It is EXTREMELY rare to find a successful short, pocket QB in today's NFL. That is what Brees has been. His physical makeup is worthy of concern. Add in a shoulder injury to an already mediocre arm, and you're looking at a recipe for disaster. Yet the Chargers should give him a bunch of guaranteed money when they have a 6-4 prototype passer sitting on the bench that they drafted in the top 5? That the Chargers didn't sign Brees long-term after the previous season speaks volumes that they wanted Phillips to take the reigns eventually anyway. They weren't going to get anything for damaged goods, so you can throw the trade idea out the window.

I laughed when I read the Deshaun Foster post. I agree completely. Certain guys just have a physical make-up that isn't appropriate for the NFL RB position. You can track Foster's injuries back into college as well.

You can get in a lot more trouble in Miami than you can in Minneapolis.

Hey, Jay, the whole post was solid and I agree on SD/Brees totally. But I had to pull this line out since I'm raising kids in the Minneapolis area. If temptation really is a problem for Daunte, it will be a problem for Saban.

The problem is why let Brees walk this year when all along they were going to let him walk? I would had traded him the year before and let Rivers take over.

Bingo!! Sh*t or get off the pot...I personally think they're still a little stung by the whole Ryan Leaf ordeal. It's like they start to wander aimlessly when it comes to QB decisions.

Can i nominate th Redskins paying Adam Archuletta a Brinks truck full of cash? Every time I looked up in a Rams' game last year and saw a missed tackle, I also saw Archuletta lying facedown on the turf. No way did he desrve the coin Washington tossed at him.

Can i nominate th Redskins paying Adam Archuletta a Brinks truck full of cash? Every time I looked up in a Rams' game last year and saw a missed tackle, I also saw Archuletta lying facedown on the turf. No way did he desrve the coin Washington tossed at him.

Can't say I disagree, but I wait and see. I can only assume that Greg Williams feels Archuletta is a good fit for his "system". If Taylor stays out of jail and Springs and Rogers stay healthy, Archuletta will have a great surrounding cast and won't be exposed as much as he was in St. Louis....in theory.

Another mystery to me is the Ravens resigning Lewis and signing Anderson to contracts that will pay 12 million this season. Chester Taylor signs with the Vikes for 14 million for 4 years. Taking a risk on Taylor's young legs and spending the excess dough on a quality offensive linemen seemed to be a much better move for Baltimore. This team should be looking forward.

although they had their reasons for doing so...i'm perplexed why the seahawks didn't slap the franchise tag on hutchinson. putting the transition tag on him pretty much guaranteed they'd have to pay more to keep him--and greatly increased the risk of him leaving altogether.

stupid.