Sign in to follow this  
famousb

OAKs QB next year, who's it going to be?

Guest stevejohnson

I think Vince Young will have problems starting right away so they need to bring in a serviceable stop gap like B. Volek or A. Brooks (though Brooks is barely serviceable) either way......

Texas had/s a play that there is 3 wide a te and one back. Vince is in shotgun, he options to hand off to RB or keep it. Million yards. When i have time I will get some numbers on Vince. The guy can throw with touch. His arm is strong and accurate. He is your man. RAAAAderz.

Isn't their offense called the Read Option or something? I was hearing a lot of that for awhile and then the last month or so people have just been calling it option, it seems. :blink:

ok, i haven't kept up w/ the draft all that much, but is this trying to tell me that Leinhart has fallen all the way to #7 overrall in people's eyes, while Cutler has vaulted to #2 - ahead of both Leinhart & Young??

I understand how Cutler may be the best fit for their system, but what's up w/ trying to jump all the way to #2 for him? Do people really think he's going before either Leinhart or Young?

Ray Ratto is implying that Tennessee would take Jay Cutler over Leinart, which I don't think they will.

That was how their coaching search went and that worked out well for them.

Unoubtedly - and the funniest thing is that despite settling for their 10th choice in Shell, my buddy tried to put a positive spin on it.

I was like, "dude, imagine thinking about getting some lunch somewhere - you go to your favorite 10 restaurants, in order - all are closed bu the 10th. Is tht as good of a meal, or did you settle because you were starving?"

needless to say, he wasn't pleased with the question. :banana:

I think they bring in Aaron Brooks...maybe he just nees a change of scenery and can excel with Randy Moss? What am I kidding, he probably wouldnt make it past week 6.

Guest stevejohnson

Brooks is in town today....I think Brooks would be a nice stop gap for the Raiders and from a fantasy prospective, a solid starter with that group of WRs. Even while struggling with the Saints, Brooks put up some very respectable numbers, especially if your league doesn't subtract for turnovers.......

Brooks as a Raider is a soild 2nd QB.....

Brooks isn't worth the ink it would take to print up a contract.... the Raiders should either stick with Walter and give him a chance or draft one... no FA signing, now that Culpepper or McGown are off the market will do anything to help the team.

Guest stevejohnson
Brooks isn't worth the ink it would take to print up a contract.... the Raiders should either stick with Walter and give him a chance or draft one... no FA signing, now that Culpepper or McGown are off the market will do anything to help the team.

A few years ago Brooks was considered one of the better QBs in the league by most "experts" (at least in the top 15), now he is garbage? I don't think he is a great player but the Raiders have a history of taking guys discarded by others and making them servicable members of the team. If he goes to the Raiders, I hope most of the guys in my league think like you so I can grab him on the cheap as a solid #2 QB.

A few years ago Brooks was considered one of the better QBs in the league by most "experts" (at least in the top 15), now he is garbage? I don't think he is a great player but the Raiders have a history of taking guys discarded by others and making them servicable members of the team. If he goes to the Raiders, I hope most of the guys in my league think like you so I can grab him on the cheap as a solid #2 QB.

The Raiders have taken runners on many more league fodder than any other team... and have had a few successes.... the number that have not panned out is much higher though. A few years makes a big difference and the system makes a difference. When the team performed, he performed and it was more an issue of him not making mistakes than him being a top performer. The Raiders as a team are in no position, either talent wise or system wise to off-set a guy who makes bad choices, throws picks and generally puts himself and his team into a hole. There was once a time when they could overcome those mistakes, or penalties etc, but that time is long past. This team needs a solid starter, not a has-been. If they can't get a solid QB in there who won't hurt the team, then they need to go with a young player and let him learn on the fly. The level of play will be no different between Walter and Brooks.. the only difference will be the salary and having drafted player on your team ride the pine for yet another season and that salary can be used elsewhere to beef up the defense, which is also in bad shape.

Guest stevejohnson

I don't know much about Walter....Why wouldn't they let him play late last season just to see what he had instead of putting in Toasucko in?

I don't know much about Walter....Why wouldn't they let him play late last season just to see what he had instead of putting in Toasucko in?

Because they wanted to see what Tui would do... I seriously think up till last yeat they thought he might be the future and Walters was a value pick last year. Alas, he didn't do jack and got yanked so Collins came back in. The bottom line is that just about any QB, stars and phenoms aside, couldn't have done much more with that team. Sure they could have thrown less INT's or completed a few more passes, but the O stunk to high heaven, the play calling was abyssmal and the line leaked like a sailor after a weekend leave in bangkok. That's why I think unless you get a QB who can either carry a team or someone who can hold his own, it makes no sense to bring him in and pay him when you have guys on the roster and payroll now that can do the same thing at the same level. Brooks is not that type of player (difference maker), never has been and never will be, especially at age 30.

Info on Walter.... Better than average accuracy, much bigger than average cannon.... poor footwork in the pocket and learning to read defenses... He is fairly mobile, not Vick but not Bledsoe either. He has the toolset, and they either need to give him the time and reps to move forward or he will end up pine tar his entire career.

And the tickets are a big deal now, because the Raiders can no longer blame the faceless Oakland Football Marketing Amateurs for screwing the customers. They wasted a full decade not handling their most important bit of merchandise (and they were the only team in American professional sports who thought ticket selling was beneath them), and are going to pay full price for years because of that willful neglect.

This is horsecrap. :angry: The Raiders didn't think selling tickets was beneath them. The OFMA was something the city of Oakland insisted upon when the Raiders moved back to Oakland.

On the other hand, they are not troubled by silly things like Wonderlic scores or a fondness for the odd bit of bling, two more recent criticisms of Young.[/b]

Where does this guy get this garbage, really? The Raiders' roster has one of the highest average wonderlic scores.

In addition, there seems to be no indication that the Raider fan base has a particular rooting interest for any of the three. They didn't warm up to the concept of Gannon either until they discovered that he could win games, and they loved him until his neck accordioned and he couldn't win for them any more.

This is garbage too. I was a Gannon fan from start until after finish, because of the way he was demanding more of his teammates, and because of the way he had played (well) against us before he became a Raider.

I hate authors who just make stuff up, which is pretty much all Ratto does. :wall:

He was hurt. Groin injury or something. That's why they went back to Collins after Tui had that disaster of a game, instead of putting Walter in.

This is horsecrap. :cheers: The Raiders didn't think selling tickets was beneath them. The OFMA was something the city of Oakland insisted upon when the Raiders moved back to Oakland.

Where does this guy get this garbage, really? The Raiders' roster has one of the highest average wonderlic scores.

This is garbage too. I was a Gannon fan from start until after finish, because of the way he was demanding more of his teammates, and because of the way he had played (well) against us before he became a Raider.

I hate authors who just make stuff up, which is pretty much all Ratto does. :wub:

He was hurt. Groin injury or something. That's why they went back to Collins after Tui had that disaster of a game, instead of putting Walter in.

As a member of the nation, let me say this... the Nation as a whole, not ALL of them, but as a whole has become a number of bandwagoneers. With the exception of the first couple of seasons, that city and their fans have not supported the team in any great way, either by showing up to games or sticking with their team. You have a small number of die hards, say roughly 20 - 30K that show up week end week out, despite the record, but that is it. When they win, they sellout, when they lose or play mediocre, they have to give tickets away. I can't count the number of games where they either heavily discounted tickets, purchased them outright and gave them away or donated them to charities in order to avoid blackouts. In recent years even those tactics haven't worked and they have had more blackouts than ever.

I also disagree with the assessment that Gannon wasn't accepted until he won and then thrown to the pavement when he was hurt. The fans actually loved him, both the new breed and the solid core. The fact remains however than when he hurt his neck, fans KNEW that was it and there was no reason for him to continue on. It would have been pointless... and risky. That is why they embraced Collins..

Facts are that the core will accept anyone they put in there, some with reservation, some with eagerness. The problem is as a core fan, I am beginnging to get tired of the retreads and long shots that come in and Al plays around with the coaching staff. Its his team... he can do what he wants but blind obedience to the Silver and Black is a thing of the past and fans are starting to get to the breaking point.

A time was I would yearn for Sunday to see them play, it was the highlight of my weekend and god forbid it was a Monday night game! I would end up taking Tuesday off so I could enjoy it fully... Now its to the point where I have to draft a Raider or two onto a Fantasy team just to get interested in the games. They have become a shadow of their former selves and show little in way of promise of regaining their winning ways, let along respectability.

I wish them well.... I will still watch the games when I don't have to wash my hair on Sunday... I will not throw away my jerseys or hats, but until things improve and they start making positive strides forward, I refuse to be a robot and buy into Uncle Al's carney show.

Facts are that the core will accept anyone they put in there, some with reservation, some with eagerness. The problem is as a core fan, I am beginnging to get tired of the retreads and long shots that come in and Al plays around with the coaching staff. Its his team... he can do what he wants but blind obedience to the Silver and Black is a thing of the past and fans are starting to get to the breaking point.

A time was I would yearn for Sunday to see them play, it was the highlight of my weekend and god forbid it was a Monday night game! I would end up taking Tuesday off so I could enjoy it fully... Now its to the point where I have to draft a Raider or two onto a Fantasy team just to get interested in the games. They have become a shadow of their former selves and show little in way of promise of regaining their winning ways, let along respectability.

Yep. There is not much to be excited about on the field these days. The team just has too many problems, and as a result it finds new ways to lose every week. Against the Patriots it was atrocious pass defense. Against the Chiefs it was a failure to make plays in the clutch (both times). Against the Eagles it was a complete lack of success running the ball (the last thing you'd expect). Against San Diego it was a terrible game plan on both sides of the ball. And then in the second half of the season Collins and the pass blocking completely fell apart, and the team lost its will to fight. Not to mention the ever-present penalties. Watching the games lately has been more an experience of fear (how will they blow it next?) rather than excitement.

Raider Nation is still strong nationwide, lying in the weeds waiting for the next era of glory, but locally (in Oakland) there is simply not a big enough fan base. Every team has way more fans in town than what actually are die hard enough to show up for games. The Raider fan base in the Bay Area is still hurting from the moves to and from LA, and the 49ers success during the LA years. The number of fans excited enough to buy tickets fluctuates greatly in any city with success or failure, but the Raiders' problem is that their number is fluctuating at an average well below the stadium capacity, rather than above it like in most cities.

I wish them well.... I will still watch the games when I don't have to wash my hair on Sunday... I will not throw away my jerseys or hats, but until things improve and they start making positive strides forward, I refuse to be a robot and buy into Uncle Al's carney show.

I see no reason for hope in the near future, really. But I will still live and die with the team. The sad thing is man we don't even have an identity anymore. The last jersey I bought was an authentic road Woodson a few years ago because I thought he was going to be a Raider for life. I was trying to think whose jersey I should get now and I couldn't think of a really strong candidate. Who's our bright young star? The more I think along those lines the more I think the Raiders will go after Young... a guy who (unlike Moss and Jordan) won't be expected to create Ws right away, but has the makings to keep hope alive for the future. Although, like you said, there are many fans who just won't buy into it now, that probably would have a few years ago... I'd be pretty skeptical myself. Oh yeah, and the only thing sadder than the fact that we don't have a bright young star, is the fact that we also have terrible depth. :thumbsup:

Yep. There is not much to be excited about on the field these days. The team just has too many problems, and as a result it finds new ways to lose every week. Against the Patriots it was atrocious pass defense. Against the Chiefs it was a failure to make plays in the clutch (both times). Against the Eagles it was a complete lack of success running the ball (the last thing you'd expect). Against San Diego it was a terrible game plan on both sides of the ball. And then in the second half of the season Collins and the pass blocking completely fell apart, and the team lost its will to fight. Not to mention the ever-present penalties. Watching the games lately has been more an experience of fear (how will they blow it next?) rather than excitement.

Not to mention the several missed FG's that could have kept them in. You hate to break down losses to what a kicker does, but SeaBass has missed a few critical ones and others would have kept the team in the games. Do they sign a new kicker with two of the best available in FA and kick him to the curb? No... they don't.

Raider Nation is still strong nationwide, lying in the weeds waiting for the next era of glory, but locally (in Oakland) there is simply not a big enough fan base. Every team has way more fans in town than what actually are die hard enough to show up for games. The Raider fan base in the Bay Area is still hurting from the moves to and from LA, and the 49ers success during the LA years. The number of fans excited enough to buy tickets fluctuates greatly in any city with success or failure, but the Raiders' problem is that their number is fluctuating at an average well below the stadium capacity, rather than above it like in most cities.

Anyone who still holds LA as a factor is not someone to be taken seriously.. its been almost 10 years now.. time to move on. Niners are in the same boat, same number of core players and same issue. Problem is the area, you have to be a winner to get bottoms in the seats.

I see no reason for hope in the near future, really. But I will still live and die with the team. The sad thing is man we don't even have an identity anymore. The last jersey I bought was an authentic road Woodson a few years ago because I thought he was going to be a Raider for life. I was trying to think whose jersey I should get now and I couldn't think of a really strong candidate. Who's our bright young star? The more I think along those lines the more I think the Raiders will go after Young... a guy who (unlike Moss and Jordan) won't be expected to create Ws right away, but has the makings to keep hope alive for the future. Although, like you said, there are many fans who just won't buy into it now, that probably would have a few years ago... I'd be pretty skeptical myself. Oh yeah, and the only thing sadder than the fact that we don't have a bright young star, is the fact that we also have terrible depth. :thumbsup:

Young "might" generate the buzz but the Bay Area isn't Texas and I am not sold on him as a viable QB solution. You want home grown... throw Walter into the soup or draft Cutler. Cutler has intangibles with good solid skills.

The real shakeup needs to be in the scouting department. They have been near the bottom of the draft two years running and what do they have to show for it? Gallery is not living up to his potential, Shell may change that, that is one of the few bright spots I have seen in getting Shell back into Oakland, that and discipline. Woodson?? Sorry, never bought into him, knew his mindset coming out of college and never looked at him as a figurehead, just a thug in silver and black that they spent way too much on when they tagged him. They spent what? 8 or 9 mill on him last year and he played how many games? Tell me how many FA's they could have brought in for that bank... Even pre-superbowl they were in solid draft spots... and they ended up with clunkers.

Still they don't move....... Arrington.... Abraham.....Culpepper.....Venteteri....Venderjack.....McGown.....numerous O linemen.....all proven vets who can still play and play well... and none of them on the Raiders radar screen or they have been unwilling to pay them while giving money away to those who don't warrant it.

You know what I think... I think Al's primary drive the last number of years has been to get the one guy in FA that he can point to and say see, I still know my football.... that's the only thing that explains some of those moves... very few of which have panned out. Jordan might redeem him somewhat... but we will see this year and next.

Not to mention the several missed FG's that could have kept them in. You hate to break down losses to what a kicker does, but SeaBass has missed a few critical ones and others would have kept the team in the games. Do they sign a new kicker with two of the best available in FA and kick him to the curb? No... they don't.

Anyone who still holds LA as a factor is not someone to be taken seriously.. its been almost 10 years now.. time to move on. Niners are in the same boat, same number of core players and same issue. Problem is the area, you have to be a winner to get bottoms in the seats.

Young "might" generate the buzz but the Bay Area isn't Texas and I am not sold on him as a viable QB solution. You want home grown... throw Walter into the soup or draft Cutler. Cutler has intangibles with good solid skills.

The real shakeup needs to be in the scouting department. They have been near the bottom of the draft two years running and what do they have to show for it? Gallery is not living up to his potential, Shell may change that, that is one of the few bright spots I have seen in getting Shell back into Oakland, that and discipline. Woodson?? Sorry, never bought into him, knew his mindset coming out of college and never looked at him as a figurehead, just a thug in silver and black that they spent way too much on when they tagged him. They spent what? 8 or 9 mill on him last year and he played how many games? Tell me how many FA's they could have brought in for that bank... Even pre-superbowl they were in solid draft spots... and they ended up with clunkers.

Still they don't move....... Arrington.... Abraham.....Culpepper.....Venteteri....Venderjack.....McGown.....numerous O linemen.....all proven vets who can still play and play well... and none of them on the Raiders radar screen or they have been unwilling to pay them while giving money away to those who don't warrant it.

You know what I think... I think Al's primary drive the last number of years has been to get the one guy in FA that he can point to and say see, I still know my football.... that's the only thing that explains some of those moves... very few of which have panned out. Jordan might redeem him somewhat... but we will see this year and next.

Raider fans here were discussing a Mortenson report. It looks like at least two of them caught the report but I haven't seen it posted elsewhere, so I consider it a rumor at best.

raiderfan_89 wrote:

Chris Mortensen reported that the reason Mr. Davis is so quiet is cause we don't have much money and we're trying to trade up for Matt Leinart.

the trade

Saints get:1st rd 7th pick,4th rd pick and Ronald Curry

Raidazz get:1st rd 2nd pick,5th rd pick and 6th rd pick in 07'

get the trade right atleast. he forgot one major thing:

saints get: raiders 7th overall, 4th rd pick, 2007 1st round pick and Curry

raiders get: 2th overall, 5th rd pick and 6th rd in 2007

http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic...

While the Raider fans rightfully want all defense in this draft, do you think its worthwhile to go this route? You get asses in seats, and Leinart could probably get up to speed sooner than Young - and every second counts for a mummy like Al Davis.

True. There are so many things that went wrong last year, it's hard to list them all. I don't see the Raiders ever letting SeaBass go considering what they spent to get him, and the fact that all-in-all, he's had a pretty competent career. I sure wish he had some consistency on his kickoffs, though. :thumbsup:

Being a winner is important in any area. The problem with the Bay Area is the population that moved there for silicon valley is not your prototype football fan base. Considering the type of people that can afford to go to games there, it's a market that really should be supporting one team instead of two.

L.A. is still a factor because it ruined the most important factor in season tickets... tradition. Guys in their mid-30s grew up without the Raiders in town. Look at a place like Denver or Washington... season tickets get passed down from generation to generation. Very few people in the Oakland area (in the target age market) grew up with that a part of their life, so the Raiders need to do something to spark new traditions. Unfortunately, they have failed to do that. Sadly, they got oh-so-close, but a few bad breaks (Gannon's injury vs Baltimore, the Tuck game, and drawing Gruden in the Super Bowl) ruined what was a pretty good window of opportunity.

I'd prefer Cutler as well but I don't think there's any way he's going to last to #7. We'll have to pay handsomely to trade up and I just don't think the Raiders can afford to do that. I do hope the Raiders put the best team they can around Walter, and see what he can do.

The scouting department, the coaching staff... it all needs to be blown up.

Gallery should be playing on the left side. Barry Sims drives me friggin nuts. Woodson was all that, an excellent and complete player, but he couldn't stay healthy and wants out now that the going has gotten rough. Interesting that he still doesn't have a team. Honestly I think we've done ok in round 1 for the most part, but round 2 has been a friggin annual disaster, round 3 is usually a capable player but a reach. We've done a little better in rounds 4-7, but you'd rather have most of your hits on day one than on day two.

Honestly, IMO the Raiders need to rebuild, or at least sort of do it. We could sign Arrington, Abraham, and Culpepper and still easily lose 9 games this year IMO, we are that far away. Arrington, Abraham, Culpepper = Sapp, Jordan, Moss, and where did that get us? We need to fix our salary cap problems, not create more.

I'm a little bit on the same page as you here. Except I think Al is more driven by trying to get someone that can put butts in the seats rather than vindicate his ownership skills. Either way it's sad because he has always been all about winning in the past. Now the situation is desperate on and off the field, time is running out on Al, I'm sure he's frustrated as anyone that his moves haven't resulted in wins, but he just doesn't have the right approach.

Raider fans here were discussing a Mortenson report. It looks like at least two of them caught the report but I haven't seen it posted elsewhere, so I consider it a rumor at best.

get the trade right atleast. he forgot one major thing:

saints get: raiders 7th overall, 4th rd pick, 2007 1st round pick and Curry

raiders get: 2th overall, 5th rd pick and 6th rd in 2007

While the Raider fans rightfully want all defense in this draft, do you think its worthwhile to go this route? You get asses in seats, and Leinart could probably get up to speed sooner than Young - and every second counts for a mummy like Al Davis.

The Raiders won't be good enough this year to expect that the '07 first won't be a good pick (top ten is likely, 11-15 is best case right now). I'd rather take lumps with Young or Walter than sell out the next two drafts for Leinhart or Cutler.

The Raiders won't be good enough this year to expect that the '07 first won't be a good pick (top ten is likely, 11-15 is best case right now). I'd rather take lumps with Young or Walter than sell out the next two drafts for Leinhart or Cutler.

Agreed, bigtime.

There's no cap space to get these guys. They were reported to be $10.8m over the cap the day before the deadline and then only cut Collins (who was only supposed to free up something like $9.3m). They can and should still cut Crockett ($2m) and Hamilton ($4m). Meanwhile the following have been added since the cap deadline:

March 20 S Jarrod Cooper Re-Signed

March 20 DB Tyrone Poole Signed

March 17 SS Derrick Gibson Re-Signed

March 17 G Corey Hulsey Re-Signed

March 16 WR Ronald Curry restructed his contract

March 15 TE Randal Williams Re-Signed

March 14 LB Henri Crockett Signed

... with salary cap implications mostly unknown. The Curry contract restructuring freed up a $1m more in cap space. Still, there's no money available for guys like the one's you listed.

The big thing is to take the cap hits now and take the lumps this year. A rookie or 2nd year QB won't win games anyway, but if he shows promise for the future then signing better guys next offseason once the cap hell passes would be easier. Cutting Sapp won't free up any cap space in '06, but would help next offseason's cap - might as well do that.

I'd do all of the following:

1) cut Warren Sapp

2) cut Bobby Hamilton

3) cut Zach Crockett

4) stay at #7 and take the BPA - could be a QB or take Mario/Brick if either is still there

5) hopefully there's a good DL player to add at 2.06 (replace either cut #1 or cut #2)

6) grab OLB's and a Guard in the middle rounds

7) replace cut #3 late in the draft

There's no cap space to get these guys. They were reported to be $10.8m over the cap the day before the deadline and then only cut Collins (who was only supposed to free up something like $9.3m). They can and should still cut Crockett ($2m) and Hamilton ($4m). Meanwhile the following have been added since the cap deadline:

March 20 S Jarrod Cooper Re-Signed

March 20 DB Tyrone Poole Signed

March 17 SS Derrick Gibson Re-Signed

March 17 G Corey Hulsey Re-Signed

March 16 WR Ronald Curry restructed his contract

March 15 TE Randal Williams Re-Signed

March 14 LB Henri Crockett Signed

... with salary cap implications mostly unknown. The Curry contract restructuring freed up a $1m more in cap space. Still, there's no money available for guys like the one's you listed.

The big thing is to take the cap hits now and take the lumps this year. A rookie or 2nd year QB won't win games anyway, but if he shows promise for the future then signing better guys next offseason once the cap hell passes would be easier. Cutting Sapp won't free up any cap space in '06, but would help next offseason's cap - might as well do that.

There is always room for jello....

You misunderstand, I am not saying take them all, but one or two key positions. LB and QB preferably. Then you cut the dead weight out completely until after the draft. There is a group of about 12-15 players on that team that have not earned their salaries from day one. Cut them, gone...... out of those I would say 90% would clear waivers... no one would want them.. then you sign the key guys and backfill from there, either with some of the guys you cut or some new dogs....

You also go to the guys, like Seabass who are not helping the team much at all and get them to either restructure or cut them. You can get a decent kicker at just about anytime. Seabass has a cannon for a leg, but it doesn't show on his stats... his FG% from distance is down, as are his kicks into the zone.

Will this happen?? Not a chance... but if they really wanted to shake things up, send a positive message and put the fear of god into their pocket books and hearts, that is the way to do it.

Difference between Cutler and Young money wont be that large... Leinart would be a stretch though.. but if you really want him you can always find a way to get it done.

Difference between Cutler and Young money wont be that large... Leinart would be a stretch though.. but if you really want him you can always find a way to get it done.

It's got nothing to do with money right now for the draft picks. It's a matter of making the team as good as it can be with the combo of picks and players and cap space. Selling out next year's high draft pick to move up and grab Leinart is just not wise. Oakland might also have to move up ahead of the Jets to get the 2nd QB which would also be too expensive. Stay put at #7 and grab the one of the following that's available there: Bush, Leinart, Cutler, Young, Mario, Brick, Hawk. Don't move up and don't move down either unless the trade down gets the team a huge return.

Because they wanted to see what Tui would do... I seriously think up till last yeat they thought he might be the future and Walters was a value pick last year. Alas, he didn't do jack and got yanked so Collins came back in. The bottom line is that just about any QB, stars and phenoms aside, couldn't have done much more with that team. Sure they could have thrown less INT's or completed a few more passes, but the O stunk to high heaven, the play calling was abyssmal and the line leaked like a sailor after a weekend leave in bangkok. That's why I think unless you get a QB who can either carry a team or someone who can hold his own, it makes no sense to bring him in and pay him when you have guys on the roster and payroll now that can do the same thing at the same level. Brooks is not that type of player (difference maker), never has been and never will be, especially at age 30.

Info on Walter.... Better than average accuracy, much bigger than average cannon.... poor footwork in the pocket and learning to read defenses... He is fairly mobile, not Vick but not Bledsoe either. He has the toolset, and they either need to give him the time and reps to move forward or he will end up pine tar his entire career.

I can't remember what happened to Walters but I know he was injured last season when Tui got his chance.

I can't remember what happened to Walters but I know he was injured last season when Tui got his chance.

Yeah he had a hammy or groin injury early on and it was one of those nagging ones so they didn't put him in. I think he could have played if needed, but they went with Tui instead risking it. Not sure if he was okay to go when they brought Collins back in though..

It's got nothing to do with money right now for the draft picks. It's a matter of making the team as good as it can be with the combo of picks and players and cap space. Selling out next year's high draft pick to move up and grab Leinart is just not wise. Oakland might also have to move up ahead of the Jets to get the 2nd QB which would also be too expensive. Stay put at #7 and grab the one of the following that's available there: Bush, Leinart, Cutler, Young, Mario, Brick, Hawk. Don't move up and don't move down either unless the trade down gets the team a huge return.

You don't have to sell out next years top pick... you swap this years first round and toss in a 2nd or 3rd from next year, or the year after. Depends on what the cost is to move up and we don't know what that will be since we are not involved but I doubt it would it cost 2 1st rounders to move up.

What did NY give up pick wise to get Manning instead of Rivers? I can't remember.. the deal would be similar but not quite as steep to get Cutler?

You don't have to sell out next years top pick... you swap this years first round and toss in a 2nd or 3rd from next year, or the year after. Depends on what the cost is to move up and we don't know what that will be since we are not involved but I doubt it would it cost 2 1st rounders to move up.

What did NY give up pick wise to get Manning instead of Rivers? I can't remember.. the deal would be similar but not quite as steep to get Cutler?

Yes, you have to sell out next year's draft to move up to #2 from #7.

Great example on the Rivers-Manning trade: To get Manning, the Giants gave up the '04 1.04 and '04 3.03 plus a '05 1st and a '05 5th. That was just so that they could move up three slots.

The Oakland '07 first will be too good to make anything like this worth doing. If Oakland isn't going to move up to 2nd, then it'd be trying to move to 4th for the Jet's pick and the 2nd QB. If the Jets are willing to move down, then they obviously don't want a QB and Oakland might as well stay where they are and grab the 2nd QB there. If the Jets don't want to trade out of 4th, then it'd be a move to 5th or 6th and still getting the 3rd QB. Staying at 7th is the only thing that makes sense here.

:blink: from fanball :first:

March 21, 2006 3:05 PM ET

Raiders: Brooks emerging as candidate

The News

Former Saints starting quarterback Aaron Brooks will pay the Raiders a visit on Tuesday to interview about the team's vacancy under center. Brooks' tenure in New Orleans came to a close when they signed former Chargers starter Drew Brees. According to the Oakland Tribune, the Raiders have also been in contact with representation for quarterbacks Brian Griese and Tommy Maddox.

Our View

Brooks has a big arm and impressive athletic skills, two factors not likely to be lost on Al Davis. The former Saint might not take too kindly to having to keep a seat warm for whoever Oakland selects with the No. 7 overall pick, but then again, he may not have a lot of other starting opportunities. Stay tuned.

Just start Walter rather than waste time and money on these guys.

Walter is a MONSTER at 6'5" 235 lbs. - Id hate to see Da Raiders sign Brooks

Just start Walter rather than waste time and money on these guys.

Even moreso now with Maddox and Brooks being the only ones left (with Joey also available soon).