Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevejohnson

Is Keyshawn Johnson the most over rated player EVER?

Guest stevejohnson

I know he had a year or two with 90-100 catches but in this day and age that stat doesn't mean nearly as much anymore. His career average for TDs is 6 a year and he has a lower yards per catch average then many Tight Ends!

Why does this clown get some much hype? Can you think of another player that was ever this over rated for this long?

Please spare me the Mike Vick stuff though. He is too easy of a target and while I have my doubts about his ability to throw the ball consistantly at this level, he still has done more for his team then Me-Shawn ever did for any of the 3 teams he was on!

I will say this:

He's tough, he plays hurt, he has an intense desire to compete, and he's got great hands. He's not shy about going over the middle, he has excellent field awareness (with regards to the tiptoe doubletaps at the sideline stripe) and he has been a very good posession receiver for a long time.

Personally I am not a big fan, because I think he's kind of a jerk. I also think that be believed himself to be Randy Moss when he was flapping his lip all the time.

He is not Randy Moss. He is however a damn good player in his own right, for what he does. In other words, what he does, he does very well.

I wouldn't mind the Niners acquiring him if he's inexpensive - he'd be a big target for A.Smith, and smart play and good hands are exactly what the young QB needs in a WR at this point.

Not a Me-Shawn apologist - that's just my attemt at an objective evaluation.

Are you kidding me? This guy is awesome - he is a human highlight reel waiting to happen! I predict a 5 year, $50 mil contract for him within the next day or two. No doubt, the Redskins won't be able to pass on adding another underrated wide reciever to their roster as they gear up for their Superbowl run and begin their dynasty era.

:lol:

Guest stevejohnson
Are you kidding me? This guy is awesome - he is a human highlight reel waiting to happen! I predict a 5 year, $50 mil contract for him within the next day or two. No doubt, the Redskins won't be able to pass on adding another underrated wide reciever to their roster as they gear up for their Superbowl run and begin their dynasty era.

The funny thing is that Synder will most likely consider it!

He's not as good as he thinks he is, but he's not bad. A little overrated, but not as much as that guy you told me not to mention. :lol:

And with future hall of famers(or is it farmers in these guy's cases?) Brunell, Lloyd, Randle El, and S.Moss, on their team already, you know all the NFL defenses are quaking in their boots at the thought of playing against the powerhouse offense that is the Redskins.

:bench:

What is Keyshawn, 6'2, 6'3? Way too tall to be a Redskin WR.

I will say this:

He's tough, he plays hurt, he has an intense desire to compete, and he's got great hands. He's not shy about going over the middle, he has excellent field awareness (with regards to the tiptoe doubletaps at the sideline stripe) and he has been a very good posession receiver for a long time.

Personally I am not a big fan, because I think he's kind of a jerk. I also think that be believed himself to be Randy Moss when he was flapping his lip all the time.

He is not Randy Moss. He is however a damn good player in his own right, for what he does. In other words, what he does, he does very well.

I wouldn't mind the Niners acquiring him if he's inexpensive - he'd be a big target for A.Smith, and smart play and good hands are exactly what the young QB needs in a WR at this point.

Not a Me-Shawn apologist - that's just my attemt at an objective evaluation.

Nice job here, Football Scooter. Meshauwn is a keep the chains moving guy. He is also one of the best wr's at downfield blocking. He helps the rb's and other wr's get more yards with his blocking ability. While he was a Buc he taught all the wr's there to be good downfield blockers. Not a big bang fantasy guy but a reliable starter as he gets solid points almost every game vs alot of wr's who are 3 points one week (30 yds) or 9 the next week (30 +td) A nice wr to have in the lineup with a couple of other big hit or big miss guys.

He's sure not the fastest but wasn't he ranked something like the 8th in the league as far as receptions for 1st downs? FIRST DOWN------>MOVE THOSE CHAINS KEYSHAWN.

I'm sure there is a team out there looking for a guy who excels in the short to medium range plays and he's got the confidence to do it.

Not the most overrated. That would be Vick

Not the most overrated. That would be Vick

Shhh. You're not supposed to say that. :bench:

For being the #1 pick in the draft I'd say he was overrated! I hope no one signs him and he watches the games from his sofa!

Meshauwn is a get keep the chains moving guy. He is also one of the best wr's at downfield blocking. He helps the rb's and other wr's get more yards with his blocking ability. While he was a Buc he taught all the wr's there to be good downfield blockers. Not a big bang fantasy guy but a reliable starter as he gets solid points almost every game vs alot of wr's who are 3 points one week (30 yds) or 10 the next week (30 +td) A nice wr to have in the lineup with a couple of other big hit or big miss guys.

I meant to mention that aspect - he'll lay a mean block...he's a complete player.

You know, I just realized - Keyshawn Johnson is essentially Hines Ward with a big freakin mouth.

:blink:

let's not get all craaaaazy with the comparisons now :blink:

He's not afraid to go middle, loves the longball, plays with a lot of emotions...ahh that's all I got...

Nice job here, Football Scooter. Meshauwn is a keep the chains moving guy. He is also one of the best wr's at downfield blocking. He helps the rb's and other wr's get more yards with his blocking ability. While he was a Buc he taught all the wr's there to be good downfield blockers. Not a big bang fantasy guy but a reliable starter as he gets solid points almost every game vs alot of wr's who are 3 points one week (30 yds) or 9 the next week (30 +td) A nice wr to have in the lineup with a couple of other big hit or big miss guys.

I agree - not a fan, and not a BUST at all. HE didn't live up the the #1 overall status.... but quality career and if he didn' topen his mouth, he'd be more liked and respected around the league.

He talks as if he's one of the best....which he's not.....with the lack of speed he could never get to that elite status...

but i like the way he plays football.

Andre Johnson is more overrated at this point in his career.

The Texans need to upgrade the no.2 WR to help take pressure off of AJ. It also wouldn't hurt to grab a young TE and upgrade the OL to help out Carr. Carr can be an effective QB when he isn't on his back or getting hit on every other pass play.

He is only highly rated by HIMSELF...therefore, I dont think he's overrated. The rest of the world knows he's about the 40th best receiver in the NFL.

You guys who crack on Keyshawn for not being a good player crack me up...

You don't like his mouth? So what?

Chad was running his mouth all year last season, and what did it get him? Most everybodys respect.

Now Key is obviously not as good as Chad is many areas, but for what the Pokes used him for, he was excellent. (going over the middle, possesion, red zone)

The most over rated player EVER?

Get your head examined, cause it's not working correctly.

What an ignorant statement. :lol:

Me-shawn is doodoo......he can't even beat most Outside Linebacker in single coverage. He's only good for a 2-3 yard slant pass.

The most overrated player ever is without doubt Michael Vick. :o

Tell that to the Packer fans? :banana:

You guys who crack on Keyshawn for not being a good player crack me up...

You don't like his mouth? So what?

Chad was running his mouth all year last season, and what did it get him? Most everybodys respect.

Now Key is obviously not as good as Chad is many areas, but for what the Pokes used him for, he was excellent. (going over the middle, possesion, red zone)

The most over rated player EVER?

Get your head examined, cause it's not working correctly.

What an ignorant statement. :thumbsup:

Scooter makes a good point about Keyshawn...I think that describes his career to a T (except for the Hines Ward comparison...Ward can get deep and though Keyshawn is a good blocker, he's not a hitter like Ward--who will lay you out in a heartbeat if you aren't prepared)...

As for the comparison to Chad Johnson above, I think you have to point out that Keyshawn made it a regular habit to badmouth one of his own teammates in the media and a repeated basis and he's been kicked off a team. Chad's talk was mostly trash talk in a way that just about every opponent took in a good natured way. Not to say Chad insn't creeping in a direction that could potentially go too far, but he hasn't really crossed the line just yet.

I wouldn't say I like Key but damn it I respect him. He's not a playmaker really hes a possesion guy and he plays the role as good as anyone else does.

He and I would disagree on him being a #1 reciever but I wouldn't mind him coming back to the Jets to be our #2. He can catch the ball and thats more than I can say for Justin McCairens. HE would be a nice fit in Carolina or maybe as someone mentioned in San Fran

He's a nice fit sitting home watching the game on the sofa with his mouth shut. He claimed to be better than Irvin, yet that didn't keep the Cowboys from cutting him. He deserves to play for a rebuiding team like SF.

For being the #1 pick in the draft I'd say he was overrated! I hope no one signs him and he watches the games from his sofa!

Stupid statement.....how many # 1s actually live up to their 1st overall selections?....Manning....ummm

Its hard living up to the number 1 selection...theres always other guys in the draft that turn out great...

He's been a good WR for many years now....you could go back into 90-95% of drafts and want to select a different number 1...

Stupid statement.....how many # 1s actually live up to their 1st overall selections?....Manning....ummm

Its hard living up to the number 1 selection...theres always other guys in the draft that turn out great...

He's been a good WR for many years now....you could go back into 90-95% of drafts and want to select a different number 1...

i hate keyshawn, but by this time next year, assuming he has an average year, he's gonna be in the top 20 recieving yards ever. he's already in the top 20 most receptions ever as well.

the way i look at it, if a college player could guarantee being in the top 20 of both these categories by the time his career was over, i'd bet that any team in the league would draft this guy #1.

i think, although he's not an "exciting" player, he was worthy of being a #1 pick

If Keyshawn grabs 71 catches this season (the same as last season) he will be tied for tenth place in the history of the NFL for number of receptions (815) with Shannon Sharpe. If he plays two more seasons it is very conceivable that he ends his career #7 in all time receptions. He will also have well over 11,000 yards receiving for his career. If something crazy happens he may even be able to slide into the #10 spot for receiving yards.

How many #1 overall picks are top 10 in one of the significant career statistics?

He's not that "highly rated" anyways. He's slow, vocal, he has great hands, is a great competitor and not afraid to get leveled when catching a ball across the middle. He's a great possession receiver, a poor deep threat. That's what he is, that's what people should know him as, so how can he be overrated?

I know he had a year or two with 90-100 catches but in this day and age that stat doesn't mean nearly as much anymore. His career average for TDs is 6 a year and he has a lower yards per catch average then many Tight Ends!

Why does this clown get some much hype? Can you think of another player that was ever this over rated for this long?

Please spare me the Mike Vick stuff though. He is too easy of a target and while I have my doubts about his ability to throw the ball consistantly at this level, he still has done more for his team then Me-Shawn ever did for any of the 3 teams he was on!

Where is this list/location that has him "rated" so high anyways?

IMO, very football-ignorant statement, as evidenced by the number of replies. In just about every interpretation of "over-rated" (i.e. before NFL career started, after in the league, media perception), Keyshawn does not meet the criteria, especially as the "most" overrated.

Guest stevejohnson
IMO, very football-ignorant statement, as evidenced by the number of replies. In just about every interpretation of "over-rated" (i.e. before NFL career started, after in the league, media perception), Keyshawn does not meet the criteria, especially as the "most" overrated.

He gets continued over coverage in the media, not for his play, which I is slightly above avergae at best, but for his mouth - OVER RATED!

He has told people in interviews that he thinks he is the best WR in the game and a hall of famer even though there are at least 10 WRs I could name off the top of my head that are better and made a much bigger impact for their team (Harrison, Holt, R. Moss, C. Johnson, T. Owens, H. Ward, S. Smith, I. Bruce <over all career>, E. Moulds <over all career>, R. Smith <over all career>) - And that doesn't even count the young guys like Fitz, Boldin, etc.....bottom line OVER RATED!

As you can see I think that Me-Shawn is clearly OVER RATED and it is you that has made the "football ignorant" statement!

He gets continued over coverage in the media, not for his play, which I is slightly above avergae at best, but for his mouth - OVER RATED!

He has told people in interviews that he thinks he is the best WR in the game and a hall of famer even though there are at least 10 WRs I could name off the top of my head that are better and made a much bigger impact for their team (Harrison, Holt, R. Moss, C. Johnson, T. Owens, H. Ward, S. Smith, I. Bruce <over all career>, E. Moulds <over all career>, R. Smith <over all career>) - And that doesn't even count the young guys like Fitz, Boldin, etc.....bottom line OVER RATED!

As you can see I think that Me-Shawn is clearly OVER RATED and it is you that has made the "football ignorant" statement!

wow because he thinks he is so great doesnt make him overatted....its what fans sports writers and experts think of him....which isnt much of anything at this point.....they view him as a solid WR that had a prductive career but had a big mouth....which is exactly what he is....so therefor not overatted....

if he gets the media attention for his mouth how are people overatting his play?...you make no sense :lol:

just because he over rates himself doesnt mean he's over rated......ask most good WRs in the league basically all will feel they are the best in the league....you have no point :banana:

Guest stevejohnson

No point arguing with morons, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience! Best of luck to you and the rest of the Me-Shawn fans!

No point arguing with morons, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience! Best of luck to you and the rest of the Me-Shawn fans!

and good luck to you and your Keyshawn haters.....Overated?....he's not even really rated?....only by himself...

moron. :banana:

Huh? He gets coverage by the media because of his mouth... how does that make him overrated? I think you are confusing words in the english language. Over-exposed is probably the word you should substitute for Over-rated in that rant above, although I can clearly see that YOU think he is over-rated.

I resent being called a Me-Shawn fan. And I'm not sure how I "beat you with experience" :angry: