Sign in to follow this  
brinett9

Drill batteries crapping the bed

Hadn't used the cordless drill in a long time.

When I went to use it, it had no go. Turned, but maybe 1/4 of normal power.

This was true even with the battery that I pulled right off the charger.

If I cycle the batteries through charge and discharge a few times, will they come back?

Are they just toast?

Hadn't used the cordless drill in a long time.

When I went to use it, it had no go. Turned, but maybe 1/4 of normal power.

This was true even with the battery that I pulled right off the charger.

If I cycle the batteries through charge and discharge a few times, will they come back?

Are they just toast?

Depends on the brand..

Sears 19.2v = History

Dewalt = probably still good

Depends on the brand..

Sears 19.2v = History

Yeah, it's a Craftsman 15.6V.

I think I'm gonna have to throw out the drill and batteries.

Can't you just go buy a new battery?

I have 2 craftsmen 19.2v drills , 2 chargers and 4 batteries..They are pretty damn good quality for the price.

All you got to do is buy the extended warranty for the batteries, (about 20.00) for 3 years, and just bring them back when they fail..

IMO it's worth it.

Can't you just go buy a new battery?

Yeah, but they're $40 apiece.

Buy $80 worth of replacement batteries when I originally got the drill and two batteries for $70?

Buy $80 worth of replacement batteries when I originally got the drill and two batteries for $70?

I didn't know they were that expensive, pitch that ba$tard in the trash.

the battery can be as much as a new drill

The batteries are like $40.00, and you can get a 19.2v w/2 batteries and a light for about $90.00 :doublethumbsup:

Buy an electric drill you putz. They work much better.

I have 2 craftsmen 19.2v drills , 2 chargers and 4 batteries..They are pretty damn good quality for the price.

All you got to do is buy the extended warranty for the batteries, (about 20.00) for 3 years, and just bring them back when they fail..

IMO it's worth it.

I saw a commercial for that one. $100 for the kit sounds pretty good.

Yeah, I have a horse drawn drill as well.

But you can't beat the convenience of a cordless, especially outside.

I saw a commercial for that one. $100 for the kit sounds pretty good.

As long as it is the 19.2v, not the 18v your good..BUY THE BATTERY WARRANTY !!

:doublethumbsup:

:blink: Yea, especially when there is no power outlet around...

Yeah, the 19.2. It's the new Die Hard battery system that works with a variety of tools.

:blink: Yea, especially when there is no power outlet around...

Ever hear of an extension cord?

Do you live in a tent?

Yeah, the 19.2. It's the new Die Hard battery system that works with a variety of tools.

If you can, get the kit w/ the recepricating saw, (great for hacking branches), the drill (obviously), and the circular saw. (will actually cut through 3/4" oak plywood) without much trouble..

Be weary of the laser light systems, they don't work too well on these. :doublethumbsup:

Ever hear of an extension cord?

Do you live in a tent?

Yea... a tent..

Next time you go by a construction site see how many of the guys have cordless vs. electric drills..

But then again, what the hell do they know? It's not like they drill things on the job.. :blink:

I've got the 18V Ryobi drill, circ saw, recip saw, flashlight. Use them all a lot. But both batteries crapped out at the same time. Must be the charger you say? NOOOOO. Although I learned it by buying a new charger. :thumbsup:

I've got the 18V Ryobi drill, circ saw, recip saw, flashlight. Use them all a lot. But both batteries crapped out at the same time. Must be the charger you say? NOOOOO. Although I learned it by buying a new charger. :mad:

What year Ryobi?

The older ones are great :thumbsup:

I haven't been as impressed w/ the newer ones, though

What year Ryobi?

The older ones are great :thumbsup:

I haven't been as impressed w/ the newer ones, though

Dunno, whenever the 18V came out. I had some older lower voltage ones that had outlived their usefulness. 2-3 years ago?

Ryobi is not top of the line but IMO they are good cheap tools. If I were building a house I'd get Dewalt or something. But I'm just doing odd jobs.

I've got a big backyard with lots of mature trees that need trimming. The recip saw is the bomb!

Dunno, whenever the 18V came out. I had some older lower voltage ones that had outlived their usefulness. 2-3 years ago?

Ryobi is not top of the line but IMO they are good cheap tools. If I were building a house I'd get Dewalt or something. But I'm just doing odd jobs.

I've got a big backyard with lots of mature trees that need trimming. The recip saw is the bomb!

Plus using the reip. saw while hanging in the trees makes one feel like a manly man :thumbsup:

I could use a reciprocating saw.

If you've got yardwork like I described, once you get one you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

If you've got yardwork like I described, once you get one you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

Yeah, I have to cut the occasional branch. I use a lopper.

A power tool would of course be much more fun.

Plus using the reip. saw while hanging in the trees makes one feel like a manly man :bandana:

:timallengrunt:

You get a real He-Man Masters Of The Universe rush from cutting a branch with a lopper, though.

You get a real He-Man Masters Of The Universe rush from cutting a branch with a lopper, though.

What I really want is one of those mini-chain saws that hook on the end of an extension rod. That would be orgasmic.

What I really want is one of those mini-chain saws that hook on the end of an extension rod. That would be orgasmic.

I taped a random orbit sander to a broom handle to sand the top of my stoop roof.

Couldn't reach even from a ladder.

Worked like a friggin charm.

Take it to Batteries Plus. They'll take it apart, replace the innards, and bam - new battery. The mechanics who worked for my ex used to swear by them. They cost less than a replacement pack, and they can "re-do" or replace the inner batteries and wiring stuff.

It's like $10 - $20 to do them depending on the size.

Depends on the brand..

Sears 19.2v = History

If the battery is shot, it's shot, regardless of brand. Sears batteries don't last forever, neither do DeWalt, Milwaukee or Hitachi.

If the battery is shot, it's shot, regardless of brand. Sears batteries don't last forever, neither do DeWalt, Milwaukee or Hitachi.

He was refering to whether he could discharge it completely and recharge it again, versus just charging it if it got low.. In my experience the higher quality batteries will charge themselves up better with a full discharge than the lower quality batteries.

He was refering to whether he could discharge it completely and recharge it again, versus just charging it if it got low.. In my experience the higher quality batteries will charge themselves up better with a full discharge than the lower quality batteries.

Yeah...I know...I was just saying if it was toast, it was toast, regardless. He didn't tell us how long he had it/how much stress he put it through, etc.

I'd say generally, the top 6 power tool brands, in no particular order are:

Milwaukee

Hitachi

DeWalt

Makita

Rigid

Bosch

Notice how each company started "carving their market/name brand" with a completely different color.

Red

Green

Yellow

Blue

Orange

Blue?

I believe Bosch is also blue (Makita)

I have found the best solution to overcome the problems of both electric (access of an outlet) and cordless (batteries crap out) drills is to buy the hamster wheel drill. Just pop that little focker in the wheel mounted on the frame and let that bugger run. Need for an outlet problem solved and hamsters are cheap so it doesn't break the bank when one craps out. Need a little extra Oomph to get through the thick stuff? Not a problem, plop an extra one or two in the wheel and feel that extra power.

Anyone ever see that infomercial for that piece of crap they call the "Dual Drill"?

I am severely disappointed at the lack of posts about crapping the bed in this thread. Rooned. :angry: :angry:

Anyone ever see that infomercial for that piece of crap they call the "Dual Drill"?

Seen it. Interesting concept.

I'm sure it's a piece of crap.

I'm a little disappointed in you guys. I loves my Dewalt recip saw, but serious yardwork is the perfect excuse to buy the ultimate manly power tool, the chainsaw. Chainsaws focking rule. <_<