Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Reggie Bush : I keep trying to find a

reason to think he will be a bust ! I can't.

a Second gear maybe no other back has in speed

more power than he is given credit for ( he never had to be a power back with White being the grind guy )

Moves not in the NFL since Barry retired

Maybe better hands than Marshall Faulk at that stage

Not the greatest blocker but he doesn't suck either

Great work ethic and attitude

Played in a pro style offense

hasn't been prone to injury

If a team wanted him to actually play ST he would be likley the greatest return man in the NFL on day 1

Charisma to sell alot of tickets and get mucho endorsment deals.

Usually when a player comes out theres at least a few doubts or knock on them - I can't find anyhting on this kid.. I can't remember any other consensus #1 pick that was as can't miss as Bush. he is the first player since barry I just really want to watch everytime he plays !

Even in a RBBC in Houston ( this year ) I predict at least 1,200 total yards ( ru / rec ) , 8 - 10 TD's - averaging 5 - 5.5 yards per carry. with at least 3 long scores.

In Dynasty leagues If Bush doesn't at LEAST go 5th the owner's that pass on him are :wub:

go ahead and rip it apart with saying how he will suck - I just can't see any reason though to think he would.

go ahead and rip it apart with saying how he will suck - I just can't see any reason though to think he would.

who ever said he sucks? its pretty much a fact that, barring injury, he's gonna have a good, if not great, career in the nfl

Dude everything you stated is opinions. We wont know until he plays and shows if he will be a bust or stud. I would rather have a proven talent like Caddy or R Brown at 5 that I KNOW what I am getting. No way would I take him at 5 in a dynasty or keeper draft. In fact I have the 6 in a new Keeper draft and there are so many players that will be available at that spot this year Bush is the last thing on my mind.

The only knock on him that I can find is the fact that he was never a workhorse back. He never played 16 game seasons and never had to carry the load, even in college. Not too mention the fact that he avg something like 8 yds a carry in college. This means, on average, he was getting tackled by the secondary.

I am not saying that he won't be able to do it, but I will have doubts until he proves he can.

The only knock on him that I can find is the fact that he was never a workhorse back. He never played 16 game seasons and never had to carry the load, even in college. Not too mention the fact that he avg something like 8 yds a carry in college. This means, on average, he was getting tackled by the secondary.

I am not saying that he won't be able to do it, but I will have doubts until he proves he can.

Same question that Ronnie Brown still has and he's being taken in the top 10 in dynasty drafts. The guys that Bush is being grouped with ie Jackson, Brown, Caddy aren't really any more proven than he is and IMO have more question marks.

:cry: :cry:

If your telling me you would rather take the gamble on a guy that has never touched the ball in the nfl instead of a person like Caddy or R Brown or L Jordan who all would be available at 5 then you my friend are :cry:

The reason he will be a bust is bacause he is likened to the next coming of Christ. When they find out he can't walk on water the honeymoon will be over.

If your telling me you would rather take the gamble on a guy that has never touched the ball in the nfl instead of a person like Caddy or R Brown or L Jordan who all would be available at 5 then you my friend are :banana:

I wasn't replying about reggie :D :P

If your telling me you would rather take the gamble on a guy that has never touched the ball in the nfl instead of a person like Caddy or R Brown or L Jordan who all would be available at 5 then you my friend are :banana:

Disagree. He's got a higher risk but he also has a higher ceiling than those backs.

Dude everything you stated is opinions. We wont know until he plays and shows if he will be a bust or stud. I would rather have a proven talent like Caddy or R Brown at 5 that I KNOW what I am getting. No way would I take him at 5 in a dynasty or keeper draft. In fact I have the 6 in a new Keeper draft and there are so many players that will be available at that spot this year Bush is the last thing on my mind.

i can understand why you fell that bush is an unproven commodity since he's yet to play one down in the nfl, but i dont see how you can consider caddy or brown "proven talent". brown is a guy who didnt have more then 70 yrds rushing in any game from november on last year (last 8 games). i can give give you caddy though, he performed well, but he had a bunch of nagging injuries throughout his first year, and to me one year isnt enough to be considered proven talent, but he's off to a good start at least.

i just figured when you said "proven talent" you would have said SA, LT, LJ, Edge, people like that. was surprised to hear you say r. brown or caddy

The reason he will be a bust is bacause he is likened to the next coming of Christ. When they find out he can't walk on water the honeymoon will be over.

:banana:

The expectations are so high that he'd have to rush for 3,000 yards and 40 TDs to meet them.

Our 4 Player Keeper league that is expanding from 9 to 12 teams this year, I know for a fact the Bush is going to go with the #1 Pick to one of the expansion teams.

i would take bush over brown or jordan in a heartbeat. would have to think about taking bush over caddy though

Settle down now Moz....go get a towell and wipe up that man juice off your keyboard...we'll all see how good he is when he plays.

Here's one great reason that he could be a bust: Houston Texans O-Line

Here's another reason: there's a huge difference between running rough shot through collegiate athletes and doing it at the pro level.

I think he will very likely eventually be a successful NFL RB, but I have these and many other reasons to believe he'll be a bust for redraft leagues in 2006-07.

i would take bush over brown or jordan in a heartbeat. would have to think about taking bush over caddy though

That's insane. You will lose a lot of leagues with that strategy.

Settle down now Moz....go get a towell and wipe up that man juice off your keyboard...we'll all see how good he is when he plays.

Here's another reason: there's a huge difference between running rough shot through collegiate athletes and doing it at the pro level.

I think he will very likely eventually be a successful NFL RB, but I have these and many other reasons to believe he'll be a bust for redraft leagues in 2006-07.

Davis seemed to put up pretty good numbers behind that offensive line and it will be improved this year. And I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread is talking about Reggie's potential in a dynasty league and where he would be drafted.

it would be a tough choice, but if the texans did get rid of DD, i would take bush over those 2.

dont get what the big deal is about brown. what did he really do last year? not too much

jordan is pretty good, but still think if bush stayed healthy for a year, he would produce more then him (again assuming DD is out of the picture, which may be the case if he's traded on draft day)

bush is the biggest "cant miss" RB since ricky williams. and if ricky had his head on straight and could have stayed off the pot, he'd have incredible numbers right now.

i'll take my chance on bush

He may be the second coming of Barry Sanders, but I want to see him do it against NFL calibre defences before I decide. It's easy to juke out some college linebacker, but try doing it against Urlacher. I'm not going to pass on solid guys who aren't splitting time with DD and running behind a crap O-line to take Bush.

yet somehow Davis and Wells both put up solid numbers with that shittyass o line ? :ninja: The season before davis was a monster with the same o line. They suck all ass at pass blocking but to say they suck at run blocking - either you do not watch the texan games and just asume they can't because Carr gets sacked so much or you are blind and got no understanding of Football.

the 1 an only thing that might hold Bush back from all world studom as a rookie is Kube giving Davis the reigns as the starter out of seniority.

Two words.

Eric Bienemy

Eric Beinemy wasnt half the player that people think Bush is and if memory serves me correct was a 3rd or 4th round pick when he came out of Colorado.

I think the person that gets Bush in our 4 player keeper may have the next big thing and IF you can get the next Marshall Faulk in a format like this then what is the price to pay...

Im hoping that the expansion team in our league will take Darrell Jackson and #12 for #1.

He won't be a 20 touch guy -- that's why I trade the pick; ( Fantasy rookie overall #1 pick; not the Texans) -

- The Texans will be paying this guy BIG money where he will only be a 'role" player and split carries with Dominck Davis.

He won't be a 20 touch guy -- that's why I trade the pick; ( Fantasy rookie overall #1 pick; not the Texans) -

- The Texans will be paying this guy BIG money where he will only be a 'role" player and split carries with Dominck Davis.

What if your league was a distance scoring league?....In my league a Running back that can catch out of the backfield and do long distance damage can be a one man wrecking crew on some days?

I would seriously be surprised if he manages to be better than Brian Westbrook.

I see him as punt returner/third down back.

15-17 carries per game

3-4 catches per game

Spot Punt and or Kick Returner.....

Im sure people said that Sanders wouldnt hold up either at his size

Bush will have no problem in the NFL. The only reason he split time was the same reasons Brown and Williams split time at Auburn: more matchups to exploit against the defense and recruiting.

In fact, I think Bush was a better inside runner than White due to his vision and effort. I studied them against Texas, Notre Dame, Hawaii, Stanford, and Arkansas: Bush was more effective inside on many of the same types of plays. Bush is underrated as a physical runner. He won't barrel over you, but he'll gain yards after contact and regularly does it. His vision in the hole is outstanding (rare, IMO).

He'll have no problem holding up as the primary guy. I saw someone compare him to Desmond Howard...that was too funny.

He may not live up to the hype this year, but he'll be a good one if he doesn't suffer any freak injuries.

He may not live up to the hype this year, but he'll be a good one if he doesn't suffer any freak injuries.

That's my sentiment as well.

But the team around him will matter as well. The Texans haven't exactly been a benchmark for successful franchise building. In fact, they seen to have reverted some.

If any team could turn the "next Barry Sanders" into a useless pile, the Texans would be right up there....DET makes the list too.

Who here believed that Andre Johnson would be a top 5 NFL receiver by now...I'll be the 1st to admit that I did at one point. Now he's the curse of keeper leagues everywhere - all the talent in the world and a boat anchor in terms of usefulness. Can't drop him, but hate keeping him, too.

I would be cautiously optimistic with Bush in terms of redraft leagues - I think he's being targeted WAY too high.

Like taking him before Ronnie Brown or LaMont Jordan, two backs who have little competition and much better teams around them.

If your telling me you would rather take the gamble on a guy that has never touched the ball in the nfl instead of a person like Caddy or R Brown or L Jordan who all would be available at 5 then you my friend are :mad:

In a dynasty league Bush should be grouped right with all of those guys listed. It would not be crazy at all to take Bush before any of those guys, especially Jordan.

I mean you no disrespect....

But this is the dumbest philosophy yet...

If you say a player is going to get 3000 and 30 and he gets 1700 and 15, he isn't a bust. If you say he is going to get 2000 and 17 and he gets 550 and 3, then you can start the bust talk.

His build up pre-draft does not determine his bust potential. His stats do at the end of the year or even at the end of year 3.

Heck, if the guy can get 1400 and 12 TD's, he isn't a bust. And worthy of a high FF pick.

Sure he will be. He'll get 15-20 carries 4-5 catches a game. Not sure why everyone feels he's so small. Have you seen the guy? He's built like a rock. He's 5'11 and 207 pounds right now at only 21 years old. He's already the same size as Portis, Faulk, Holmes and could easily put on another 10 pounds.

Sure he will be. He'll get 15-20 carries 4-5 catches a game. Not sure why everyone feels he's so small. Have you seen the guy? He's built like a rock. He's 5'11 and 207 pounds right now at only 21 years old. He's already the same size as Portis, Faulk, Holmes and could easily put on another 10 pounds.

Bush I can easily see being 215 - 220 by next year - he has a perfect frame to ass weight. i still think this time next year he will be in the top 3 overall FF players and maybe #1 in PPR leagues.

:thumbsup:

Exactly!

I love the whole "he needs to be 5-11, 225-230 argument," it's so false. It's not all about size, but about running style and ability to deflect punishment.

if the guy can take and break tackles at the pro level he'll be good. if he cant, he wont. he weighs 200 lbs soaking wet. he's got the upper body of a 220lber, but the lower body of a 180lber. He's not adding that much weight. Guys with small legs dont add weight that easily. This guy does NOT have big legs. He's a running back. There is your set of ????? Will his little, albeit fast, legs hold up when dealing with 300lbers on a regular basis? Coming from that weak A#@ Pac10 conference where D is something served up after supper, Id say he's ill prepared to deal with NFL tackles and LBers. Just an opinion.

if the guy can take and break tackles at the pro level he'll be good. if he cant, he wont. he weighs 200 lbs soaking wet. he's got the upper body of a 220lber, but the lower body of a 180lber. He's not adding that much weight. Guys with small legs dont add weight that easily. This guy does NOT have big legs. He's a running back. There is your set of ????? Will his little, albeit fast, legs hold up when dealing with 300lbers on a regular basis? Coming from that weak A#@ Pac10 conference where D is something served up after supper, Id say he's ill prepared to deal with NFL tackles and LBers. Just an opinion.

I respect this take....wait & see.

And good point about the Pac 10. Anyone remember JJ Arrington? Anyone? Arizon-anyone? I thought he should have been considered for the Heisman - the guy was a STUD in college. Don't believe me? Go look at the numbers. When didn't he have a 200 yard game?

Now quick - someone tell me what game he put up 100 yds in at the NFL level. Might have to look for a while...I don't think there was one.

Anyone who thinks there's no difference between proving yourself in NCAA play and proving yourself at the pro level need to think again. The NFL is made up of only the most elite college athletes, and filtered still year to year.

Not saying Bush will wash out - I just think he may have an adjustment period when he gets to the pros and linebackers are fast enough to chase him down.

And good point about the Pac 10. Anyone remember JJ Arrington? Anyone? Arizon-anyone? I thought he should have been considered for the Heisman - the guy was a STUD in college. Don't believe me? Go look at the numbers. When didn't he have a 200 yard game?

Now quick - someone tell me what game he put up 100 yds in at the NFL level. Might have to look for a while...I don't think there was one.

Anyone who thinks there's no difference between proving yourself in NCAA play and proving yourself at the pro level need to think again. The NFL is made up of only the most elite college athletes, and filtered still year to year.

Not saying Bush will wash out - I just think he may have an adjustment period when he gets to the pros and linebackers are fast enough to chase him down.

No linebacker has 4.3 speed. Arrington didn't grade nearly as high scouting wise as Bush. Arizona reached for him in the second round. Talent wise, there's really no comparison between the two. I mean he could have a hard time at the NFL level, but there's a reason people are so excited about him. The weaknesses are few and far between and he's grading off the charts.

No linebacker has 4.3 speed. Arrington didn't grade nearly as high scouting wise as Bush. Arizona reached for him in the second round. Talent wise, there's really no comparison between the two. I mean he could have a hard time at the NFL level, but there's a reason people are so excited about him. The weaknesses are few and far between and he's grading off the charts.

4.3 speed is only important if you can get by defenders and they're trying to catch you from behind. Michael Benett has allot of speed too, but I'm not taking him in the first round.

Bush has the shiftiness to do it, but he's not going to be breaking 80 yard TD's like in college. NFL D's will key on him and bottle him up. He's got along way to go before he's anything like Barry Sanders, and he has to get touches from a pretty good RB in Davis to do it.

Bush I can easily see being 215 - 220 by next year - he has a perfect frame to ass weight. i still think this time next year he will be in the top 3 overall FF players and maybe #1 in PPR leagues.

"Perfect frame to ass weight"? Is that some kind of body-mass index thing? :unsure:

I'll say this. I watched Arrington a lot at Cal. He was not even in the same league as Bush. He got his 200 yards games. But there wasn't anything special about him. I said it last year. I'll say it again, Marshawn Lynch was and is a better Rb than Arrington was at Cal.

JJ Arrington was a 1st team ALL American last year with 2000plus rushing yds and 15TDs. Noone thought he was reached for in the draft and most people thought he would be something in the NFL....I did until I looked more carefully at his film and realized he also couldnt break tackles. Look, LBs dont need 4.3 speed to catch a guy with 4.3 speed. They just need to be tough and know how to play the position. They take angles, they hit holes, they fill gaps, they DONT get run over by blocks, they dont overrun plays. They tackle RBs for a living. Professional football is a little different from Pac10 football. This is not a news break. Bush will not come into this league and dominate the competition. It will take him 3 or 4 years to figure it out. But this is just an opinion, and in 3 or 4 years we'll know. Someone needed a reason to think twice about him, and Im pointing out the obvious ones.

To continue on with the Bush parade...... ESPN is hyping the absolute living HE%L out of this kid. Why is this? Is it just that he's that good? Good, but honestly....that good? No, but he's the poster boy for their draft coverage. This 2 day event is a huge ratings bonanza, as is everything linked to the NFL, but without Bush at the top where is the captivating story? Is it Vince Young falling to Tennessee or further because scouts dont like this sidearm motion or his wonderlic? is it Matt Leinart slipping because people insist he's got a weak arm despite being able to bench 225 about 25 times or that he stayed in school to study ballroom dancing? how else are they going to hype their draft coverage without a superstar like Reggie Bush highlighting it? They cant have another Alex Smith nightmare 2 years in a row. You dont buy into the ESPN hype machine thats your choice. But the hype they create to push ratings in college basketball, college football, and here with young guys entering the draft is beyond ridiculous. Bush is good...but the second coming of Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk or Barry Sanders? Knock me out when the hype is over. Who exactly is trading up to make a play for this wunderkind? If he was such a once in a lifetime guy, do we really think Houston would be sitting here all alone with noone to play with. Other teams dont want this pick. What on earth does Houston know about talent? Their GM is the guy who drafted David Carr #1 overall and Heath Shuler and Desmond Howard in the top 5? Is that a nose for high end talent? Im debating that one. I have no problem with people thinking Reggie Bush will be good. We all have our opinions and to think he's going to be good wouldnt be horrible thinking. But lets let go of the HOF comparisons already. its killing me over here.

Worthwhile opinion. Portis is similar in body type but Bush has better vision, acceleration, and elusiveness. At 21 years of age, you are still putting on adult weight. In 2-3 years he'll probably be more like 210-215 without a problem. Even so, I rarely saw Bush get tackled without gaining extra yardage in the process. Honestly, I'd be more worried about Lendale White and his preparation to deal with anything on the professional level for more than enough time for him to sign a contract and cash some paychecks.

The comparison (I thought obviously) was the talent of the defenses he faced in the pac 10. Didn't I say that?

The reference to LBs being able to take him down had nothing to do with his 4.3 speed....how many football games have you watched where at any point in the game, the refs chalked off a 40 yd course and the defenders let him run unabated? :lol:

It doensn't happen - Linebackers in the NFL are not going to run a 4.3 - but then, neither is Reggie Bush. And while he's swerving and dodging and juking and jiving, someone like Brian Urlacher is going to be fast enough to lay some wood to him.

My point wasn't that LBs in the pros are as fast as Bush - my point was that they're fast enough to take him down whereas in college they may not be.

4.3 speed is only important if you can get by defenders and they're trying to catch you from behind. Michael Benett has allot of speed too, but I'm not taking him in the first round.

Bush has the shiftiness to do it, but he's not going to be breaking 80 yard TD's like in college. NFL D's will key on him and bottle him up. He's got along way to go before he's anything like Barry Sanders, and he has to get touches from a pretty good RB in Davis to do it.

Excellent point. Pretty well where I'm at - he has a chance to be a top caliber RB like Sanders....but let's not go annointing him before he takes his 1st NFL snap.

"Perfect frame to ass weight"? Is that some kind of body-mass index thing? :thumbsup:

I think that's the "Booty Mass index"

:(