Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Cleophus James

Chargers trade CB Davis to 49ers for WR Woods

Can any 9ers fans comment on Woods. I drafted him in a dynasty his rookie season (in the late rounds), and needless to say he hasn't done squat since then. I don't watch much 9er game action, because they have pretty close to no exciting players, but I have seen nothing of him. Does this guy have a lick of talent?

He's been hampered by thumb, hammy, and quad injuries. Yet the Niners were considering cutting him last preseason until he had a big game against the Chargers. Then he spent the entire season on the bench then the IR.

Nice size, was an excellent route runner with very good hands in college. Possession type guy with practically no speed. Was drafted in the first round for a reason, but do those reasons still apply?

Can any 9ers fans comment on Woods. I drafted him in a dynasty his rookie season (in the late rounds), and needless to say he hasn't done squat since then. I don't watch much 9er game action, because they have pretty close to no exciting players, but I have seen nothing of him. Does this guy have a lick of talent?

Yup - he was a td stud at Ok state - thought he would've had a better 1st year but the 49er's didn't score much anyway. Stick with the guy 1 more season then decide.

I remember when Woods came to the Niners, it was a huge deal. He was going to be our next Rice, next TO. Injuries happened and I dont think he will ever reach his full potential.

Glad we got rid of him, hopefully this means we will draft Jackson, Holmes, or Moss in the 2nd round if any of them fall.

I loved Woods coming out of Oaky State... I hope this gives him new life!

McCardell, Parker, Woods, Jackson, and Gates are now the Taregets for Rivers.

Mel Kiper said he would be nothing more than a third WR at best. He called it right.

Woods doesn't have speed, but more importantly, he doesn't have the quickness off the line. People place too much emphasis on the 40. If you get jammed at the line, you aren't getting 10 yards, much less 40.

Mel Kiper said he would be nothing more than a third WR at best. He called it right.

Woods doesn't have speed, but more importantly, he doesn't have the quickness off the line. People place too much emphasis on the 40. If you get jammed at the line, you aren't getting 10 yards, much less 40.

I saw several of his college games in person. He can go up and get a "jump ball" better than any WR I've ever seen....for real. As for his other skills, they're decent, but not all-world to be sure.

I saw several of his college games in person. He can go up and get a "jump ball" better than any WR I've ever seen....for real. As for his other skills, they're decent, but not all-world to be sure.

Hey fumbleweed - I grew up in Tulsa and went to a lot of the OSU games when Thurman Thomas, Hart lee Dykes, Gundy and oh yea Sanders were all on the same team. Ponca City is not too far from T-town.

Hey fumbleweed - I grew up in Tulsa and went to a lot of the OSU games when Thurman Thomas, Hart lee Dykes, Gundy and oh yea Sanders were all on the same team. Ponca City is not too far from T-town.

You're right, it's not.....about 90 minutes. I'm going down to Tulsa next week for a conference/workshop. Southern Hills Marriott down on 71st near the golf course. I'm sure you know where that is.

So, now you're in Huntsville.....I've heard that's a nice place.

You're right, it's not.....about 90 minutes. I'm going down to Tulsa next week for a conference/workshop. Southern Hills Marriott down on 71st near the golf course. I'm sure you know where that is.

So, now you're in Huntsville.....I've heard that's a nice place.

I used to live a 73rd and yale - Southern Hills - nice country club - South Tulsa is beautiful in the hills. Didn't go north very often except to fish at the 21st street pedestrian bridge - HUGE FISH all the time!

hopefully this means we will draft Jackson, Holmes, or Moss in the 2nd round if any of them fall.

Gawd no. With all the problems this team has they don't need to waste good picks on WR's in a year without talent at that position. Use the early picks on the D and the OL, then take a flyer late on a WR. Bryant and Battle aren't anything special, but they are more adequate than several other positions.

He's been hurt (like most of last year) - I liked him when he was drafted, but now I am glad to add secondary help for his useless arse. I think the Niners got the better of this deal...

For fantasy purposes, I think he's a pile. In SD he could get a chance though - didn't Reche Caldwell move elsewhere? If he's healthy and gets opportunity, he might be somewhat decent - he was considered 1st round talent out of college, and receivers take a while to mature. Ive seen some of his college play, and he was a capable receiver.

Looking ahead, he could be a big pile of crap though. Dunno, because I've not seen him play enough at the pro level.

Yet another move by my team that makes me smile.

:banana:

I remember when Woods came to the Niners, it was a huge deal. He was going to be our next Rice, next TO.

whoa - I never heard him hyped like that...:banana:

Gawd no. With all the problems this team has they don't need to waste good picks on WR's in a year without talent at that position. Use the early picks on the D and the OL, then take a flyer late on a WR. Bryant and Battle aren't anything special, but they are more adequate than several other positions.

Solid post - agree 100%

They've addressed the WR issues with Bryant...Battle is a fan favorite for a reason - the kid is undersized but he can ball. Plays with a ton of heart and has sticky hands.

with the moves they've made so far, I wouldn't be shocked to see them take Vernon Davis. Then again, one of AJ Hawk, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams or Michael Huff should be there for them, if Lienart and Bush go in the top 5. Any of those guys would be huge additions to a team in need of a playmaker, Davis included - but if Davis is their guy, they could probably deal down a few spots and still get him.

Have to wonder who approached who on this one. Non achiever for non achiever. Probably Bolts who need help at WR. Good trade for both as it's a need position for both and a flyer for no cost.

Have to wonder who approached who on this one. Non achiever for non achiever. Probably Bolts who need help at WR. Good trade for both as it's a need position for both and a flyer for no cost.

Not only do Chargers need some depth at WR but, as stated earlier, the biggest game of Woods career (albeit preseason) came vs San Diego. Teams tend to have long memories.

I watched Woods quite a bit in college, and he was the first, second and third option in Ok State's passing game. An earlier post referred to his ability to get "jump balls". A telling statement. If there's one skill position where there's a huge size disparity between college & pro, it's DB. Easy to outjump 5'8" guys that will never sniff the NFL.

Staying injury free is, of course, a key. The guy also needs to really work on his route running. Tutelage from a similar style player like McArdell will be a big plus. With Caldwell now a Patriot (and a guy to watch late in deep drafts imo), Woods could be poised to start showing some of what has been expected of him.

And hey to Fumble & joc from another Okie. Ponca City representing, as the kids say these days.

Rashaun Woods prospect profile from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/rashaun_woods Notes:

-6'2" 202#

-Ranks #3 in NCAA Division I-A history with 42 touchdown receptions

-Broke the Big 12 record for receptions by a mile (previous record was 205, he had 293)

-Broke the Big 12 record for yards by a mile (previous record was 2704, he had 4414)

-Positives section lists 14 positives, including, "Gets off the line of scrimmage and into his routes immediately … Runs outstanding pass routes, showing crispness and explosive stop-and-go agility"

-Negatives section lists 1 negative, "could do a better job of tracking the ball in over his shoulder on deep routes (has misjudged these passes on more than one occasion)."

-Agility tests include 4.47 in the 40-yard dash and 4.05 20-yard shuttle. The latter is a quickness drill, both times are pretty good.

From what I remember of the talk back when he was drafted in 2004, he was supposed to be the most NFL-ready of the WRs that year.

In 2005, his thumb injury was reported on 9/23, he had surgery on 9/26, and he was placed on IR on 9/27. Depending on what kind of thumb injury/surgery it actually was, it seems unlikely that it would keep him out for most or all of the season. Sounds like the new coaching staff wasn't a big fan.

I don't think Kiper ever said Woods would amount to little more than a #3 WR. If he did, it was one of his classic qualifiers. He's done it with LenDale White this week. He could be great, he could be a bust, maybe just a short yardage situational guy. So three years from now, no matter what happens, Mel was right.

He praised Bill Walsh upside down and sideways for moving up in the draft to get Woods. He even had Woods ranked as the #7 player on his big board prior to the draft. He even stated Woods could turn out better than Fitzgerald.

If the archives were available we discussed Woods here. I didn't like him so much. I thought all his production came in bunches against poor teams and he disappeared too much. I never expected him to disappear like he did in the NFL though.

I remember reading his injury last season probably wasn't that serious, but the 9ers were sick of him and IRd him for the season so they didn't have to look at him anymore.

I also remember reading that he had a terrible response to the big paychecks. Just bought a house, set himself up for the longterm, and acted like he was done. It was like he took an early retirement before ever going to work.

I also remember reading he got so wrapped up in the wonderful fishing in NoCal that it became and obsession preventing him from staying in shape and worrying about football. That same article stated he didn't even know the 9ers record in midseason.

After that year, there were some reports, quoting his brother iirc, saying he was serious. He wanted to play. He wanted to prove he was a good receiver. That was last year. Then the thumb.

These stories usually don't have a happy ending. I wish nothing but success for Woods. It would be a good story, and he seems like good people, but methinks he ain't cut out for the NFL, and San Diego has some wonderful bass lakes.

Nice swap. It seems the Chargers are looking to draft a DB, which would make excellent sense in this pool.

Woods gives them a young, BIG WR to go with the young speed guy, Parker. The fact that McCardell was their best WR last year is telling, since McC would have trouble cracking a lot of team's top two, much less as ace.

J

Rashaun Woods prospect profile from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/rashaun_woods Notes:

-6'2" 202#

-Ranks #3 in NCAA Division I-A history with 42 touchdown receptions

-Broke the Big 12 record for receptions by a mile (previous record was 205, he had 293)

-Broke the Big 12 record for yards by a mile (previous record was 2704, he had 4414)

-Positives section lists 14 positives, including, "Gets off the line of scrimmage and into his routes immediately … Runs outstanding pass routes, showing crispness and explosive stop-and-go agility"

-Negatives section lists 1 negative, "could do a better job of tracking the ball in over his shoulder on deep routes (has misjudged these passes on more than one occasion)."

-Agility tests include 4.47 in the 40-yard dash and 4.05 20-yard shuttle. The latter is a quickness drill, both times are pretty good.

From what I remember of the talk back when he was drafted in 2004, he was supposed to be the most NFL-ready of the WRs that year.

In 2005, his thumb injury was reported on 9/23, he had surgery on 9/26, and he was placed on IR on 9/27. Depending on what kind of thumb injury/surgery it actually was, it seems unlikely that it would keep him out for most or all of the season. Sounds like the new coaching staff wasn't a big fan.

I remember seeing some information about how Nolan was not a big fan of Rashaun Woods and the guy could never stay healthy. He might do something in SD with McCardell's presence and Davis gets a chance to start in SF seeing as they have little to nothing at CB. I like the trade for both teams and hope it works out well.