Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

How far does Edge drop on your board?

Az has a crap O-line. Edge got his $. When's the hammy coming? They will, like always, play from behind and therefore throw a lot. Green runs a throw first O. R Smith got all his yds on draws. Edge is neither as quick or as fast. I don't know that Edge is in my top 10 at this point.

Your thoughts?

Az has a crap O-line. Edge got his $. When's the hammy coming? They will, like always, play from behind and therefore throw a lot. Green runs a throw first O. R Smith got all his yds on draws. Edge is neither as quick or as fast. I don't know that Edge is in my top 10 at this point.

Your thoughts?

not too far. from 4th to 5th at best....and that's IF the league I'm drafting for is yardage heavy.

He's still going to be a GL beast - Warner can hit Fitz and Boldin and stretch that field. In Indy, I don't think that O-Line is particularly great at run blocking, but the passing game keeps defenses honest. Likewise in AZ - they protected Warner pretty well last year and he will take his downfield shots.

I could see Edge having an 1100/400/14 season in AZ...I'd take that in a RB1.

not too far. from 4th to 5th at best....and that's IF the league I'm drafting for is yardage heavy.

He's still going to be a GL beast - Warner can hit Fitz and Boldin and stretch that field. In Indy, I don't think that O-Line is particularly great at run blocking, but the passing game keeps defenses honest. Likewise in AZ - they protected Warner pretty well last year and he will take his downfield shots.

I could see Edge having an 1100/400/14 season in AZ...I'd take that in a RB1.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't see Indy's O-line as that much better than Zona's. Manning got knocked around like a rag doll in quite a few games, so I don't see Edge in a worse situation really. The Cards now have 3 extremely good WR's, which will take the pressure off the box a bit. If they could lock up a decent TE, I think the Cards offense would be hard to stop. To predict less than 1500 yards and 14 TD's (total) would be foolish, I think.

I figure...

top 3 are locks in LT, LJ, Alex ( no particluar order)

Portis, Tiki SHOULD be the next 2 off the board - ( no particluar order)

Then you have guys like

Edge, SJax, Caddy Williams, Lamont Jordan, and even Steve Smith as the next "group"

I like Jordan potential as Art Shell will pound the ball...

I think anywhere between 6-9 is where edge falls --- I DO NOT WANT the 6th pick, because I love Jordan; but it may be just a few spots too high -- as many I see taking Edge

then you have the likes of Rudi Johnson, Willis MaGahee, maybe Bria Westbrook -- then the WRs will come into play...TO, Fitz, HOlt, Moss, Chad...etc

I figure...

top 3 are locks in LT, LJ, Alex ( no particluar order)

Portis, Tiki SHOULD be the next 2 off the board - ( no particluar order)

Then you have guys like

Edge, SJax, Caddy Williams, Lamont Jordan, and even Steve Smith as the next "group"

I like Jordan potential as Art Shell will pound the ball...

I think anywhere between 6-9 is where edge falls --- I DO NOT WANT the 6th pick, because I love Jordan; but it may be just a few spots too high -- as many I see taking Edge

then you have the likes of Rudi Johnson, Willis MaGahee, maybe Bria Westbrook -- then the WRs will come into play...TO, Fitz, HOlt, Moss, Chad...etc

R. Johnson could blow up this year as long as Palmer comes back heathly. I also think that S. Jackson will finish in the top 3-4 RB points now that the offensive line is healthy and they have a coach that is going to run a legit "pro style" offense instead of M. Martz's duck and chuck. Jordan worries me a bit because the OL is suspect (hopefully Shell can coach them up a bit) and the QB situation is less then desirable.

I don't drop him that far. One reason is that I don't see many rbs catching him. His production might drop, but how many other rbs have had an increase in value. Ronnie Brown looks good if Ricky is gone. Maybe Tiki, but will Jacobs steal his short yardage carries???

plain and simple Edge should be number 5-7 on the board. I watched arizona last year, their problem was in the red zone, Edge should change that. He could even exceed last years numbers...

that said, I see no reason to take a chance on him and would take LJ alexander, tomlinson, portis, johnson, barber, and stephen jackson before him.

If someone gets him around 9 they could get the best value on the board.

my point being that edge has potential to be the top back in the league, arizona plays noone and their line is better than people think... but i still dont' know if I would take him too high.

my oppinion, for what it is worth.

Was Edge that good or is it the Colts system?

Don't overlook Dominic Rhodes- he's the man in Indy.

Rhodes is the man in Indy...for now. He's never been the most healthy RB either so I'm thinking the Colts will take a RB at the no. 30 pick, probably Joseph Addai RB from LSU unless one of the others fall to them. I just can't see Rhodes staying healthy for an entire season.

I bet he is taken all across the land in positions 5-9

Sounds about right to me. As others have said, he'll fall into that group with Rudi, SJax, Jordan, and may even deserve consideration in the Portis/Tiki group. Right around 6-7 is where I figure he'll go as most people will sooner take hime and his historical success over the potential of a jordan or rudi.

I bet he is taken all across the land in positions 5-9

:unsure: i agree....he doesnt drop to far off...but adge should definitely be able to find some room with a balanced attack between pass and run...larry fitz and boldin should take some pressure off of edges shoulders and should open up the defense.

Sounds about right to me. As others have said, he'll fall into that group with Rudi, SJax, Jordan, and may even deserve consideration in the Portis/Tiki group. Right around 6-7 is where I figure he'll go as most people will sooner take hime and his historical success over the potential of a jordan or rudi.

I like Portis with the upside of the new offense. Hard to drop edge much further then 6-7.

I think you are all crazy.

What's the best performance an AZ back has had in the past decade? Thomas Jones never did jack. Pittman never did jack. Edge isn't a better player (post-injury) than either of those guys.

If there's one player in the NFL that benefitted from a system over the past few years, it's Edge. Put him on an offense that has consistently sucked the past few years and what do you get? :unsure:

I remember when everybody was all up in Barlow's ass a couple years ago, drafting him in the first round on "projections". Fock that. Take Portis or Rudi, who've proven they can succeed in their current systems and let another sucker take Edge.

He's so overvalued he won't be on any of my ff teams this year.

What's the best performance an AZ back has had in the past decade? Thomas Jones never did jack. Pittman never did jack. Edge isn't a better player (post-injury) than either of those guys.

If there's one player in the NFL that benefitted from a system over the past few years, it's Edge. Put him on an offense that has consistently sucked the past few years and what do you get? :lol:

I remember when everybody was all up in Barlow's ass a couple years ago, drafting him in the first round on "projections". Fock that. Take Portis or Rudi, who've proven they can succeed in their current systems and let another sucker take Edge.

1 week sig bet says Edge scores 15 Tds if healthy for the 2006-07 season....any takers?

careful...I'm 3/3 in sig bets (including Darb33, who still owes me a month's worth of his space if he ever shows up)

scooter, I'll take your bet but no focking "healthy" clause.

In exchange, I'll knock the TDs down to twelve.

And you have to put the bet in your sig until the end of the season.

I think people often OVERVALUE individual players and UNDERVALUE the importance of a team.

Arizona as a team, couldn't do anything in the red zone last year. Nothing. (Why do you think Neil Rackers blew up so much?)

Either the running back was the problem, meaning Edge could fix it...

Or, the whole team sucks within the 20 yard line...meaning Edge would suffer because of it.

Something to think about.

I think people often OVERVALUE individual players and UNDERVALUE the importance of a team.

Arizona as a team, couldn't do anything in the red zone last year. Nothing. (Why do you think Neil Rackers blew up so much?)

Either the running back was the problem, meaning Edge could fix it...

Or, the whole team sucks within the 20 yard line...meaning Edge would suffer because of it.

Something to think about.

No one feared the AZ run game. They'd put in 7 DBs. As you get closer to the red zone, it becomes harder and harder to pass.

So Edge will help. And the line can always improve.

But I agree with your general point. I've seen 5-6+ people projecting a career year for Edge (maybe without realizing it). He had 13 TDs, 9 TDs, 11 TDs in Indy the last 3 years. Zona is probably a little worse off, so lets say 8-10TDs. Then 10-20% less yardage. Is probably about where he ends up. Could he get more? Sure. But I'd temper my projections given it's the Cardinals.

scooter, I'll take your bet but no focking "healthy" clause.

In exchange, I'll knock the TDs down to twelve.

And you have to put the bet in your sig until the end of the season.

Compromise accepted. 12 it is. If he scores less than 12 total TDs, you get my sig for the week. I think it's a sucker bet, personally.

:pointstosky:

yea pittman is just is good edge, jones to of course. :pointstosky:

IMO, James will get more GL carries in AZ than he did in pass-happy Indy.

Very difficult for James to exceed 11 TDs in Indy when Manning is tossing 49 TDs, or when Wayne, Stokley, Harrison & even Clark are such great options for Manning.

In AZ, I suspect James will be used in GL situations a lot more conservatively - Denny Green will pound the ball in the red zone. Opportunities will be there with Warner taking downfield shots to Boldin & Fitz...there should be a number of pass interferance 1st and goal at the 1 for James to take advantage of.

Make no mistake - James is superior to Thomas "chronic mangina sprain" Jones and Michael "3rd down back" Pittman any day of the week. And even if he wasn't it's still a poor example, because when those guys were "featured" in AZ, the Cards had 1/2 the passing prowess they have now, so teams would stack the line against them.

You cannot just point to a back and say he will have more or less success based on his ability alone - as was mentioned, you need to judge the team around them as well...James is going to be the centerpiece of a fairly potent offense in AZ this year, mediocre O-Line or not. I think he's going to have a career year for TDs,but with less yardage than he had in Indy.

If there's one player in the NFL that benefitted from a system over the past few years, it's Edge. Put him on an offense that has consistently sucked the past few years and what do you get?

Totally agree with Chronic Husker. Think about the Colts deadly passing game the past 2 years. They would always line up in practically the same offensive look...be passing the ball like mad...then get the defense off guard and pepper them with Edge. Defenses didn't know what to guard against. Manning, Harrison, Wayne and Stokely 2 years ago were killing teams!

I'm just saying the Colts system was great...not only Manning, WR's, and offensive line, but the play calling was just great. Heck...when Edge was banged up or needed a breather...Dominic Rhoades came in and looked very good.

Watching some Arizona low-lights, I saw PLENTY of replays of the either Shipp or JJ Arington getting plastered in the backfield for huge loses. No way you can blame the RB's in those scenarios. I think the run blocking of the Arizona line is pretty bad, no way near the Colts line.

Edge will definitely see a decrease in productivity...no way he does as good as he did with the Colts the past years.

Watching some Arizona low-lights, I saw PLENTY of replays of the either Shipp or JJ Arington getting plastered in the backfield for huge loses. No way you can blame the RB's in those scenarios. I think the run blocking of the Arizona line is pretty bad, no way near the Colts line.

And as I pointed out: they had a bad QB, and no Boldin or Fitz in those games. Opening up things with a competent passing game will do wonders for their ability to run in the red zone.

You are judging opposite extremes - this year, they had a great passing game and no capable RB to carry it in the red zone. So defenses dropped in a bunch of DBs and dared them to throw.

When Shipp or Thomas Jones was "the man" in AZ, they had a horrible passing game, so they could stack the line against them.

Now they have a competent RB and a quality passing game - don't underestimate the value of a balanced offense in the NFL. After all, that's what's been helping the Colts O-Line look so great all these years.

IMO, Edge will lose some yardage and gain some TDs. In some formats, he might even be more valuable. :banana:

And as I pointed out: they had a bad QB, and no Boldin or Fitz in those games. Opening up things with a competent passing game will do wonders for their ability to run in the red zone.

You are judging opposite extremes - this year, they had a great passing game and no capable RB to carry it in the red zone. So defenses dropped in a bunch of DBs and dared them to throw.

When Shipp or Thomas Jones was "the man" in AZ, they had a horrible passing game, so they could stack the line against them.

Now they have a competent RB and a quality passing game - don't underestimate the value of a balanced offense in the NFL. After all, that's what's been helping the Colts O-Line look so great all these years.

IMO, Edge will lose some yardage and gain some TDs. In some formats, he might even be more valuable. :banana:

I don't think Edge falls off that much this year, if any at all. He might not get his Indy #'s but then again he might. You have to remember he was the next coming of Falulk before he got hurt.

I don't think Edge falls off that much this year, if any at all. He might not get his Indy #'s but then again he might. You have to remember he was the next coming of Falulk before he got hurt.

he could be used as a receiver quite a bit with Warner in there. Shakey O-line might even mean more receptions for Edge.

he could be used as a receiver quite a bit with Warner in there. Shakey O-line might even mean more receptions for Edge.

Well, I'm in a league where we have to keep one player from our roster from the previous year. I have both Edge and Jordan, and I'm keeping Edge. :thumbsup:

Perhaps some of our recollections of last years Colts offense have gotten a little foggy?

During the first 7 games every Colts opponent played to stop the pass. Teams were rushing as few as three players and everyone else dropped into coverage. Manning averaged four less pass attempts, 60 less yards and totaled 33% of his TD's during this span compared to the next seven games (I only tracked this through week 15 when they played San Diego).

Edge averaged 23 rushes, 114 yards and better than a TD per game during the first 7 games and then averaged 26 rushes for 95 yards and less than a TD per game over the next 7. His yards per carry was 4.9 during the first 7 weeks and 3.6 over the next seven weeks.

I think it's fair to say that if the Cardinals are a pass oriented team then the best anyone should expect Edge to do is along the lines of the second half of last year. At best.

There are some key differences still to think about between the two teams and what kind of impact that might have on James' stats.

Defense. The Colts defense allowed 8 fewer points per game and provided 20% more turnovers for the offense than the Cardinals defense. Not many backs get their 100 yards and TD average when they become non factors due to their team being behind a TD or two in the fourth quarter.

Continuity. Edge had seven seasons in the Colts offense with mostly the same players. I don't think I need to mention how completely responsive and versed this unit became... The Cardinals have had anything but consistency and have much larger challenges regarding personnel.

Take it for what it's worth. If your planning on more than 1400 yards and 12 TD's from James you are likely to be dissappointed.