Sign in to follow this  
Portis26

Who do the Patriots take at pick #21

If DeAngelo is on the board at 21, they HAVE to take him right?? I can't see them taking White, but Williams or Maroney I think would be both solid choices.

I think that is on eo fthe NEEDS, because they can get quality WR talent in round 2

They don't have to take any position.

They could use a rb, and that may be the direction they go, but it could be just as easily others.

as far as DeAngelo Williams....well its no secret that Belichick prefers big backs for the Northeast conditions as well as Blitz assignments. His backs over the years have all been very large: Dillon, Antowain Smith, Leroy Hoard, Tommy Vardell and Kevin Mack...all bruisers.

Since they have Dillon and Faulk already aboard..it is not something they need for 2006.

I would not rule out anyone, but i would be surprised if they took a RB. I would say the biggest need is WR and LB

I would be surprised if they took a RB in the 1st round. I think they could use one, but I don't think Belicheck values RB as 1st rounders. I bet he feels he can on in a round or two later.

I seriously doubt they waste the #21 on one of the WR's.

I think they will either go LB, DB or OL. With the Patriots, though, anyone is a possibility. The only positions that they DEFINITELY will not take there is QB, TE and DL.

Its unlikely that Williams will still be there. Maroney might not even be there. White probably will, but I wouldnt pick him.

The running back they could use might just be about to get cut by Jacksonville. Theyll probably do what they usually do in the draft.....take a bunch of guys that noone has ever heard of.

I agree with bigtuna, I don't see rb in the first but maybe in the 2-4 range. I'd figure they's be targetting LB, DB or WR/OL in the first round and possibly a combination of those postions thru the first 3-4 rounds. Who knows with the Pats? They usually surprise us so watch em go RB in round 1.

They don't have to take any position.

They could use a rb, and that may be the direction they go, but it could be just as easily others.

as far as DeAngelo Williams....well its no secret that Belichick prefers big backs for the Northeast conditions as well as Blitz assignments. His backs over the years have all been very large: Dillon, Antowain Smith, Leroy Hoard, Tommy Vardell and Kevin Mack...all bruisers.

Since they have Dillon and Faulk already aboard..it is not something they need for 2006.

I would not rule out anyone, but i would be surprised if they took a RB. I would say the biggest need is WR and LB

Who have you been hearing the Pats will take with their pick? Maybe Manny Lawson, a corner?

Good article in today's Boston Globe --

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/arti...r_the_patriots/

Collects a bunch of guys they might be looking at (regardless of round). The writer's correct in his opinion that trying to call what the Pats'll do is dicey business tho.

I'd say they'll go LB or DB in the first round, but I don't think RB is out of the question if they guy they want is there (and, no, I dunno which one that is). WR? No chance.

Does it really matter? Bellichick will be outcoached by his mentor Nick Saban as the Dolphins will take the division this year. Too many free agent departures every year in NE. The time has come people!!

I think Belicheck follows the same school of thought about drafting RBs that Parcells does. If he can draft a RB in the second round he will, he won't take a RB at that spot unless he thinks that the RB is really that good. If all of the RBs available at that spot look about the same to him, he will take something else, and then come back to RB in Round 2 (or later).

I could be wrong, but its just an observation from a non-Patriot fan.

I would not be surprised if NE traded down. They have a long list of positions needing depth. If they stay there, they would likely take the best player available, which is likely a DB. Lendale White is a possibility, but again, if that is their target player, they can get him later. Also a DT or an edge rusher is a possibility.

J

I would not be surprised if NE traded down. They have a long list of positions needing depth. If they stay there, they would likely take the best player available, which is likely a DB. Lendale White is a possibility, but again, if that is their target player, they can get him later. Also a DT or an edge rusher is a possibility.

J

I believe Carolina is very interested in White so if New England wanted him, they better take him at their pick or trade down just a few spots.

I really like the notion of Williams with the Patriots. It just feels right, and I do think he is viewed as significantly better than RBs #3-5. But NE is the most notorious practitioner of BPA and I bet they take yet another guy who is a reach today and a Pro Bowler tomorrow, which is probably anything but an offensive glamor guy at 21. Hey, dare to dream.

Portis26, I also want to thank you for all these deep thought question posts. They certainly help keep the bored exciting. :thumbsup:

Does it really matter? Bellichick will be outcoached by his mentor Nick Saban as the Dolphins will take the division this year. Too many free agent departures every year in NE. The time has come people!!

Saban is Belichick's mentor? I don't think anyone ever knew that until you just revealed that shocking detail.

As far as Saban outcoaching BB, good luck with that. Last I heard, Saban doesn't care about wins or losses. By the way, Saban did a great job outcoaching BB with his 1s against NE's 2s and 3s in their final game last year. Brilliant job. Since he probably has brainwashed the dollfan masses, you guys probably think you actually won that game too, right?

Despite the t!t schedule, Miami will finish behind NE and......get this.....Buffalo......next year. At least Miami should have plenty of sunny weather to take the team's mind off of their miserable 2006 season.

Cofield on Patriots radar

Mike Reiss

4/17/2006

The Patriots are well stocked on the defensive line, with Richard Seymour (2009), Ty Warren (2008), Vince Wilfork (2009), Jarvis Green (2009) and Marquise Hill (2008) all under contract for at least three more seasons.

When it comes to team needs, the defensive line ranks near the bottom of the list.

Yet that didn’t stop the Patriots from scheduling a pre-draft visit with Northwestern defensive lineman Barry Cofield. The 6-foot-4, 304-pound Cofield is expected to arrive at Gillette Stadium sometime this week, according to an NFL source.

Cofield is a projected first-day pick (likely rounds 2-3) who some scouts feel fits best in a 3-4 defense, which the Patriots employ. He has superlative athletic ability for a player his size, notching a 34-inch vertical leap, and is also considered a versatile player with the skills to play each position on the line. Patriots coach Bill Belichick is known to like versatile players, and the team’s draft history (3 first-round linemen in 6 years) indicates great value is placed on the defensive line position.

This marks the second straight year the Patriots would host a Northwestern defensive lineman prior to the draft. The team met with Luis Castillo (28th overall, Chargers) at Gillette Stadium prior to the 2005 draft.

NFL teams are allowed up to 30 visits with out-of-town prospects before the draft. All visits must be concluded by the end of this week. The visits usually mean a team still retains interest in the player, and the meetings can serve as a double-check of sorts. The visits also can help teams with a medical or personality question that has yet to be answered.

Linebacker Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State); cornerbacks Tye Hill (Clemson) and Richard Marshall (Fresno State); receiver Chad Jackson (Florida); running back Laurence Maroney (Minnesota); and defensive linemen Ray Edwards (Purdue) and Jeremy Mincey (Florida) are other players who have had pre-draft visits at Gillette Stadium. Safeties Daniel Bullocks (Nebraska) and Bernard Pollard (Purdue) were also previously scheduled to visit Gillette Stadium, while safety Darnell Bing (USC) told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette he had a visit scheduled with New England for the week of April 17.

Link

News: According to reports, the New England Patriots are interested in Florida WR Chad Jackson. In fact, the team could decide to trade up in the first round to acquire him.

Analysis: Jackson impressed scouts with his speed at the NFL combine and is now considered the best wide receiver in the class. He'll be worth a late-round choice in drafts.

cbssportsline.com

News: According to reports, the New England Patriots are interested in Florida WR Chad Jackson. In fact, the team could decide to trade up in the first round to acquire him.

Analysis: Jackson impressed scouts with his speed at the NFL combine and is now considered the best wide receiver in the class. He'll be worth a late-round choice in drafts.

cbssportsline.com

Whoever put that out on cbssportsline.com is full of it. BB DOES NOT leak out info. He can't even do it as a diversion because everyone knows it would be BS.

If anyone knows anything about BB and Pioli it's that they primarily don't draft out of need, they draft the best available player on their board. Hence TEs in back-to-back 1st rounds, DL in back-to-back-to-back 1st/2nd rounds. Those weren't positions of need but they saw talent at a premium value. Even at QB, say for example Cutler for some reason dropped to NE at #21, I'd bet that BB would take him off the board.

So although I don't think NE takes a RB at #21, I wouldn't put it past them if an RB high on their board fell to them where they weren't expecting it.

Just my 2¢

Whoever put that out on cbssportsline.com is full of it. BB DOES NOT leak out info. He can't even do it as a diversion because everyone knows it would be BS.

If anyone knows anything about BB and Pioli it's that they primarily don't draft out of need, they draft the best available player on their board. Hence TEs in back-to-back 1st rounds, DL in back-to-back-to-back 1st/2nd rounds. Those weren't positions of need but they saw talent at a premium value. Even at QB, say for example Cutler for some reason dropped to NE at #21, I'd bet that BB would take him off the board.

So although I don't think NE takes a RB at #21, I wouldn't put it past them if an RB high on their board fell to them where they weren't expecting it.

Just my 2¢

:blink:

I'm both a Patriots and a Gators homer, however, if the Patriots take Jackson in the first round I think I'll hang myself.

I just want Bobby Carpenter.

I'll be shocked if NE drafts either a RB or WR at #21.

NE passed up on draft picks last year because they were so enamored with the talent available in this year's draft. I've got to believe they are particularly enticed with the number of LBs and DLs that seem to fit their 3-4 scheme... those "tweener" type defensive guys that NE believes can play in both 3-point and 2-point stances.

And MAYBE they go after one of the big-name DBs (if one falls to #21).

Furthermore, it is a misconception that NE doesn't have any WRs.

Branch is clearly their #1 guy.

Brown can still be an effective #3/slot WR.

Reche Caldwell? we don't know what we have in him, maybe a #2?

And NE drafted TEs in back-to-back first rounds (Watson, Graham).

BOTH are more than capable receiving targets and there's some talk about spreading Watson out wide (he has the speed... just ask Champ Bailey).

NE needs a #2 WR. A journeyman type guy. The kind of guy that MAY be available after the June 1 cuts.

As for RBs? Their offense runs through Brady. Sure, an elite RB would be nice but it isn't a NEED. All NE needs is a RB to keep defenses honest.

i don't have their recent drafts in front of me...but it seems to me rb/wr doesn't fit the profile of a pats round 1 pick...i'm thinking linebacker or one of those lineman/tweener guys.

I don't see New England slecting a RB @ 21.

It's just not their style.

BB never shows his cards, so if they brought in Chad Jackson,

it's more likely a smoke screen than a legitimate 1st round selection.

Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame

Poetic justice, I say. One Notre Dame guy (David Givens) leaves, and another comes in. This kid is almost 6-5, has decent speed, is an excellent route runner, and is very smart. He played in Charlie Weis's offense. Enough said. Hard to say where he goes. Late second or maybe early third round, so the Patriots have to time this one right. Weis, we're told, has really sold Stovall on the Patriots.

I've got to believe that Belichick has a hotline right to Charlie's office.

Weiss is running an offense that is basically NE's offense. Stovall is a nice posession WR.

From all I've heard/seen of Stovall, I'd love to see him fall to NE in the 3rd.