Sign in to follow this  
What is the deal?

Russia & China= no help

Russia, China still oppose sanctions against Iran

By Brian Bonner

Knight Ridder Newspapers

MOSCOW - Talks among diplomats from the world's major industrialized countries ended here Wednesday with no agreement on how to end the standoff over Iran's nuclear program.

U.S. Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said that most of the countries that took part in the talks - the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and Germany on Tuesday, the Group of Eight industrialized countries on Wednesday - favored imposing sanctions on Iran if it doesn't stop its nuclear program.

"Everybody talked about the need to consider actions. The majority said sanctions," Burns said.

But China and Russia, who as permanent members of the U.N. Security Council can veto any proposal, still remain opposed.

As if to underscore its position, Russia confirmed that it would sell 29 mobile air defense missiles to Iran - a step Burns criticized.

"It's a mistake for countries to have military relationships with Iran," Burns said, citing the Iranian leadership's support for the "destruction of Israel" and calling it the "central banker" for Middle East terrorism.

The talks here were really two sets of meetings. Tuesday's session involved the five permanent security council members - China, France, Great Britain, Russia and the United States - and Germany. Wednesday's session was a slightly different grouping, with China, which is not a G8 member, gone, but with Canada, Italy and Japan added.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said his country wanted to wait to consider further action against Iran until the International Atomic Energy Agency reports back to the Security Council on whether Iran's nuclear program complies with international treaties. That report is expected April 28.

"We are convinced of the need to wait for the IAEA report due at the end of the month," Lavrov told reporters.

Burns said Iran's announcement last week that it had successfully begun low-level enrichment of uranium at its Natanz nuclear facility had given talks about the issue a new sense of urgency, and there has been a flurry of diplomatic activity since.

In Beijing, Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang on Tuesday said that Assistant Foreign Minister Cui Tiankai visited Tehran on Sunday and urged Iranian officials to reach a negotiated resolution to the crisis.

A top-level Iranian delegation arrived in Moscow Wednesday to meet with Russian officials. The delegations also met with French, German and British diplomats.

Burns said the United States would continue to press China and Russia to support sanctions against Iran.

"We haven't given up on a diplomatic solution," Burns said. "We're certainly a lot stronger working with Russia and China than we are working on our own."

Russia is building a nuclear power plant in Iran's southern port of Bushehr and has provided weapons to Iran, giving it interests that might be damaged by any international sanctions.

Russia has continued to say it opposes Iranian uranium enrichment, but analysts in Moscow are suggesting a compromise that would permit Iran to continue low-level enrichment to fuel its nuclear power plants while agreeing not to refine the uranium further, a step that would be necessary to build a nuclear weapon. Burns said the United States would oppose such a compromise.

Burns said he expects talks about the Iran nuclear crisis to continue for months. He said it is likely to dominate the Group of Eight meeting in St. Petersburg, Russia, in July.

Bonner reports for the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ld/14380611.htm

Can someone explain to me why France and Germany are still part of the UN Security Council? I know they're not the problem this time, but the seats on that thing need to be made a little less permanent.

Can someone explain to me why France and Germany are still part of the UN Security Council? I know they're not the problem this time, but the seats on that thing need to be made a little less permanent.

Including ours?

Including ours?

Sure, but who is going to unseat the most significant military and economic power in the world?

Sure, but who is going to unseat the most significant military and economic power in the world?

China?

How do we get China and Russia to quit dealing with these types of countries? You'd think China would definately be interested in keeping the U.S. happy considering all the imports we buy from them. I don't know what's the deal with Russia. Putin seems like a throw back to the Stalin days.

How do we get China and Russia to quit dealing with these types of countries? You'd think China would definately be interested in keeping the U.S. happy considering all the imports we buy from them. I don't know what's the deal with Russia. Putin seems like a throw back to the Stalin days.

It's a sticky situation. Cutting off ties w/ either country would hurt our economy. There is no real solution.

I believe these are both the same countries (well I know at least China) that still supply North Korea with oil.

It's almost like they pretend to be working with us, but really want to see us get blown up.

I assume there's basically only 2 ways to get Iran to quit making nukes - sanctions and war.

Without Russia and China's cooperation, sanctions won't do a dang thing. I guess that just leaves war.

The uh... ignorance in your post is glowing.

There are five permanent members. US, Britain, France, China, Russia. Germany is not. Germany is temporary.

It's almost like they pretend to be working with us, but really want to see us get blown up.

Yep, that about sums it up. They love the business and money we provide, but they would prefer we fall apart so they could have a shot at becoming the world's leading power/

Yep, that about sums it up. They love the business and money we provide, but they would prefer we fall apart so they could have a shot at becoming the world's leading power/

China has been given the ability to sink the American economy any time it wishes, they just don't wish to since they would be sucked down the economic toilet with us. This is because with the US government running up such huge budget deficits evey year, the Chinese are the ones makng up the difference by lending us the money.

We should undoubtedly bomb them too then... :thumbsup:

I assume there's basically only 2 ways to get Iran to quit making nukes - sanctions and war.

Without Russia and China's cooperation, sanctions won't do a dang thing. I guess that just leaves war.

but the sanctions worked so well for Iraq despite France and Russia's backdoor deals

I just wanted to be sure, do we have troops on both sides of Iran now because we invaded a country legally that had already violated 17 UN resolutions?

but the sanctions worked so well for Iraq despite France and Russia's backdoor deals

apparently they did, since both Rice and Powell declared Iraq effectively contained before the war.

they would prefer we fall apart so they could have a shot at becoming the world's leading power/

China is almost the world's leading power, don't they have like 5 soldiers for every one of our's??? They don't have the pure fire power and technology we do, but, they have a freakin rediculous amount of soliders. They also basically run the world's economy. I don't think they are planning any kind of world domination against the US which would be stupid, but, people have to realize they could put up a helluva fight vs. the US if we were to go to war. Plus, what is happening between them and Russia and Iran is scary, Russia still has a lot of fire power and a pretty strong millitary. Russia i don't think we have to worry about, china probably not either, but obviously Iran is the biggest problem.

All out war with Iran??? Obviously, with the liberal additude in this country, they would almost have to have their finger on the botton for us to do that. Hopefully, they will back off before it comes to that, but, if they don't, then hit em hard.