Sign in to follow this  
dcOne

UFC - Hughes vs. Gracie

Yeah, and I think Matt Hughes will kill Gracie.

I hope he does. The only way Gracie will beat him, (obviously) is with a submission move. Hughes is a wrecking machine.

no-also, a midget wrestling thread already exists. HTH

:wacko:

Almost the same thing....

Hughes will take Gracie to his back in the first minute, then it will be up to Hughes to not get one of his arms in a "tap-out or get your arm broken" hold.

Hughes is way too good of a wrestler to be beaten on the ground.

I dont see any way that Gracie could win this match, unless he stays on his feet most of the time and uses his reach advantage

Is that the same Gracie who won the first couple UFC's?

He must be old by now.

I dont see any way that Gracie could win this match, unless he stays on his feet most of the time and uses his reach advantage

Thats funny, Dennis Hallman has arm locked Hughes twice, and Hallman isn't half as good as Gracie. Gracie by arm bar! :wacko:

No way. Gracie goes right to the ground and tries to submit Hughes from his guard.

Bank on it. :wacko:

Hughes has improved his jiu-jitsu a TON (as evidence in how he finished his fight with St.Pierre).

I really think that the only way Gracie can beat him is if Hughes takes him lightly because of his age. Gracie dominated in the beginning because people didn't have much experience at BJJ, which has proven to be one of the most important aspects of MMA. Now that people crosstrain at the level they do, I don't think he has a shot against top tier guys. I'm sure he could beat some of the young bucks out there, but against Hughes, now way.

Also, it'll be boring as anything. Anyone see him fight Shamrock? The whole fight was Gracie in his guard and Shamrock working to hit him. Hughes is a better wrestler than Shamrock, but it'll be reallly tough for either guy to do much on the ground.

AlsoAlso, can Gracie still wear his gui? If he can't wear the full robe, that'll be a HUGE disadvantage for him (he used that thing like crazy for chokes).

Gracie is going to beat Hughes no doubt in my mind. I have been waiting for this fight, which I thought would never happen since Gracie is fighting for Pride FC.

Royce is 39 years young. (he'll be 40 in dec.)

His dad was fighting into his 80s, I don't think age will be a big deal. When you treat your body good, and eat the right things, you don't age like the rest of america.

Hughes has improved his jiu-jitsu a TON (as evidence in how he finished his fight with St.Pierre).

I really think that the only way Gracie can beat him is if Hughes takes him lightly because of his age. Gracie dominated in the beginning because people didn't have much experience at BJJ, which has proven to be one of the most important aspects of MMA. Now that people crosstrain at the level they do, I don't think he has a shot against top tier guys. I'm sure he could beat some of the young bucks out there, but against Hughes, now way.

Also, it'll be boring as anything. Anyone see him fight Shamrock? The whole fight was Gracie in his guard and Shamrock working to hit him. Hughes is a better wrestler than Shamrock, but it'll be reallly tough for either guy to do much on the ground.

AlsoAlso, can Gracie still wear his gui? If he can't wear the full robe, that'll be a HUGE disadvantage for him (he used that thing like crazy for chokes).

I think Royce can compete and win in UFC, but not in Pride. Hughes won't be able to handle the Gi. Hughes has improved as you've said, but this is a bad match up for him. It sucks this in a non-title match. Anyhow, Hughes is up ###### crick when he fights St.Pierre again.

No way. Gracie goes right to the ground and tries to submit Hughes from his guard.

Bank on it. :rolleyes:

Pretty much what Hallman did. Hallman knew he'd end up on the ground, and as soon as they hit the ground, Hallman somehow got Hughes arm in a bad position. I didn't know Hallman beat him twice. Did he?

I think Hughes takes him down, picks him up, slams him a couple times, ends up winning by by "KO". I bet the ref stops it "early"--Gracie won't be hurt very bad, but the ref will stop it after a few elbows/punches.

Hughes is up ###### crick when he fights St.Pierre again.

You must be Canadian. Why would you say this? Neither are capable of a one-punch, one kick KO...at least neither will even try it. They both are "equal" in terms of submissions--so that's a 50-50 chance. Hughes is 10x the wrestler that Pierre is, so they could fight 20 times, and Hughes would win 18, IMO.

Pretty much what Hallman did. Hallman knew he'd end up on the ground, and as soon as they hit the ground, Hallman somehow got Hughes arm in a bad position. I didn't know Hallman beat him twice. Did he?

I think Hughes takes him down, picks him up, slams him a couple times, ends up winning by by "KO". I bet the ref stops it "early"--Gracie won't be hurt very bad, but the ref will stop it after a few elbows/punches.

You must be Canadian. Why would you say this? Neither are capable of a one-punch, one kick KO...at least neither will even try it. They both are "equal" in terms of submissions--so that's a 50-50 chance. Hughes is 10x the wrestler that Pierre is, so they could fight 20 times, and Hughes would win 18, IMO.

I'm not Canadian, but if you watched the first fight with St.Pierre, Hughes was getting his arse kicked the whole fight until he got lucky (thats right I said he got lucky) and got the arm bar. He won't get lucky again against St.Pierre. Its gonna be ugly. And yes Hallman has two submission victories over Hughes. I'm not hating on Matt, I like him, my instructor has trained with him and Pat, I just think St.Pierre in on the verge of greatness. St.Pierre's Jiu-Jitsu is better than Hughes's and St.Pierre is a better striker. Bad news for Matt.

Look, I don't disagree that St.P was beating Hughes in the first fight, he was; but it was definitely not luck. Inexperience on StP's part, maybe, but not luck.

Jorge went for a Kumura and Hughes made a sweet counter into an arm bar. It's not like it was a lucky punch or a cut that blead to much, we're talking about some pretty sweet wrestling/bjj.

Look, I don't disagree that St.P was beating Hughes in the first fight, he was; but it was definitely not luck. Inexperience on StP's part, maybe, but not luck.

Jorge went for a Kumura and Hughes made a sweet counter into an arm bar. It's not like it was a lucky punch or a cut that blead to much, we're talking about some pretty sweet wrestling/bjj.

It was a sweet move, but lightning won't strike twice. I think Matt is going to lose two in a row, Royce first, and then St.P.

Did you by any chance see the Sylvia vs Orlovsky fight last weekend?

It was a sweet move, but lightning won't strike twice. I think Matt is going to lose two in a row, Royce first, and then St.P.

Did you by any chance see the Sylvia vs Orlovsky fight last weekend?

Ok, well you seemed pretty adament that it was lucky, not a sweet move... I'm VERY interested to see how the 2nd fight will go, Pierre is indeed a BEAST (but so is Hughes, or at least, he was).

I didnt catch the fight last weekend. Man, I'd love to see that guy from Pride come over to UFC, I saw him fight once. He looked out of shape, disinterested and bored, and SLAUGHTERED his guy.

Bad news for Matt.

Other than he is 0-1 vs. Hughes. The big goose egg in the win column vs. Hughes.

Yeah...the two big guys...the Russian vs. the cowboy looking Silvia. Pretty crappy match, IMO. I think either is succeptable to someone with a great ground game.

Ok, well you seemed pretty adament that it was lucky, not a sweet move... I'm VERY interested to see how the 2nd fight will go, Pierre is indeed a BEAST (but so is Hughes, or at least, he was).

I didnt catch the fight last weekend. Man, I'd love to see that guy from Pride come over to UFC, I saw him fight once. He looked out of shape, disinterested and bored, and SLAUGHTERED his guy.

You must be talking about the baddest man on the planet, Fedor Emilianenko. He is the undefeated Pride FC heavyweight champion of the world. He is simply amazing. Its awsome before his fights, like you said he looks like he doesn't care whats going on, but when the bell rings its like unleashing the gates of hell!

He's one of my favorite fighters. I watch Pride and Ufc, but Pride is the best. :first:

Oh, and I did think Matt's move on St.P was sweet, but I also think he got lucky.

OKAY...I just watched the entire Hughes-St. Pierre match. You are absolutely, 100%, INCORRECT in saying that St. Pierre was winning when he got hit with the arm bar. No one was really doing ANYTHING except, Hughes took St. Pierre to the matt a number times, until stalemate was called--so if ANYONE was winning, it was Hughes.

I encourage everyone on here to go to limewire and download St. Pierre vs. Hughes, so you can see that "jijujitzu71" like making sh!t up as he goes along. (edited)

Oh, and I did think Matt's move on St.P was sweet, but I also think he got lucky.

He tried to armbar him, he got the armbar, so how is that lucky? LOL. That's like saying it was a "lucky" punch in boxing. If a guy tries to hit someone else in the face and knock his opponent out, and does, how is that lucky?

Other than he is 0-1 vs. Hughes. The big goose egg in the win column vs. Hughes.

Yeah...the two big guys...the Russian vs. the cowboy looking Silvia. Pretty crappy match, IMO. I think either is succeptable to someone with a great ground game.

I agree it was crappy, I was very disapointed, I hate Sylvia. It looked like Arlovsky was gonna take him out and then he got hit with what I thought was a weak ass punch. I look forward to their third fight. I hope Arlovsky wins.

OKAY...I just watched the entire Hughes-St. Pierre match. You are absolutely, 100%, INCORRECT in saying that St. Pierre was winning when he got hit with the arm bar. No one was really doing ANYTHING except, Hughes took St. Pierre to the matt a number times, until stalemate was called--so if ANYONE was winning, it was Hughes.

I encourage everyone on here to go to limewire and download St. Pierre vs. Hughes, so you can see that "Kraziness" like making sh!t up as he goes along.

He tried to armbar him, he got the armbar, so how is that lucky? LOL. That's like saying it was a "lucky" punch in boxing. If a guy tries to hit someone else in the face and knock his opponent out, and does, how is that lucky?

Settle down tiger. :blink: Its just opinions. No big deal.

I saw the Hughes/St.Pierre fight too.

I wouldn't have said that Hughes was getting killed, but I do remember thinking that he was getting beat. I seem to remember that Hughes WAS taking him down a lot, but that St.Pierre had landed more meaningful shots and was probably ahead on the cards :wacko:

And yeah, I think it was Emelieninko, he landed a redonkulous shot on a guy that looked like he'd be a better fighter. He just looked scary... I never see Pride on TV though, when's it on?

I encourage everyone on here to go to limewire and download St. Pierre vs. Hughes, so you can see that "jijujitzu71" like making sh!t up as he goes along. (edited)

I watched it again also, and I still say St.Pierre was winning that fight. Hughes had 2 take downs, St.P had one, and its not like Hughes did jack schitt when he got the take downs. If you knew anything about mma, you would know just because your on the bottom, it doesn't mean you are losing the fight or getting hurt. St.p was definately winning the stand up. Just beacause you get a take down doesn't mean you are winning the fight. It is my opinion, so I don't just make up ###### as I go along. If you knew what you were talking about you would see Hughes was losing that fight. Granted it was a sweet counter that he did to get the arm bar. No need to be a hardass, unless your one of those infamous internet tough guys.

[quote name='kraziness'

And yeah, I think it was Emelieninko, he landed a redonkulous shot on a guy that looked like he'd be a better fighter. He just looked scary... I never see Pride on TV though, when's it on?

Pride has a payperview about every other month.(sometimes once a month), but they have a weekly show on Fox Sports Net. Not sure what day or time. :unsure:

Your right on the money.

Or you're both wrong. :ninja:

gracie threw the fight. he gave him his back and then went noodle, not a standard technique in jujitsu.

gracie threw the fight. he gave him his back and then went noodle, not a standard technique in jujitsu.

lol. Hughes made Gracie and their whole "fighting system" look like a bunch of clowns.

lol. Hughes made Gracie and their whole "fighting system" look like a bunch of clowns.

We decided to get the PPV that day, had a bunch of our martial arts friends over. That flying knee in the earlier match was freakin awesome!

Oh yeah... I dunno, maybe. The Gracies did more for martial arts than anyone possibly ever. It's been, what, 12 years since they showed the dominance of their style. It is not unreasonable for people to learn, adapt, and improve. And it is not unreasonable for the undeniably best from the rest of the world to beat the best in a family... without his uniform or any real clothing, which would be a more realistic street situation... with rounds and time limits...

Not defending Gracie, he clearly lost to a superior opponent. Guess I just take umbrage to disparaging him, his style, and his family.

We decided to get the PPV that day, had a bunch of our martial arts friends over. That flying knee in the earlier match was freakin awesome!

The preliminary (dark) matches were the best fights of the night. Apparently the Jeremy Horn fight was pretty good too but was cut from the show. The DVR worked really great to keep watching that flying knee. That was one of the wildest knockouts I've ever seen.

There's no need for that. Matt Hughes himself studies juijitsu. Every one of these guys has studied juijitsu and must be prepared to take into account the ground style of jiujitsu -if not to learn the system at least they have to to counteract it. The Gracie family has been nothing but good for UFC and deserve all the accolades for developing such a popular system.

Royce is 39 now. That's awfully old in such a phsyically demanding environment and he's taken a lot of wear and tear over the years. There's no shame at all in losing to someone as talented as Hughes.

The Gracies did more for martial arts than anyone possibly ever.

Guess I just take umbrage to disparaging him, his style, and his family.

:wub: