Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Golf Geeks

I've been looking for a cobra sz driver on ebay, and all of them in decent condition seem to be going for $140 or higher. I come across a cobra sz UNLIMITED. The Seller says that it is only legal until 2008. The best part is that it is one of those demos that has barely been hit (i'm guessing because it's soon to be illegal). This club is on sale for 90 bucks!!!

Now i'm not a professional golfer, but i play in the summer all of the time, and i usually play in the city tourney in my hometown mason city, and in iowa city. If i buy this driver i plan on keeping it about 4 years, and the issue will come up if i should use it in these tourneys.

It looks EXACTLY like the other SZ drivers with the same headcover and everything, the only difference is that it says UNLIMITED on the bottom of the club. I doubt anyone would notice, or even know that this particular driver is illegal.

I'm on the fence about this one, would it make me a bad person to use an illegal club? The only reason i'm entertaining this is because it is so much cheaper than the others. Would it really give me that much of a disadvantage?

how do you all feel on this?

I wouldn't do it...unless you play for money. :first: BTW, why would you post a question regarding, of all things, ethics on this forum??? :ninja:

My guess is you will get the expected results of a $90 driver.

:pointstosky:

My best advice to you. go back a year and find a model for a top of the line driver and buy it used on ebay.

You'll get a great a driver at a very great cost.

There are also golf stores you can demo clubs. You demo their club and then find one used or cheaper somewhere else if you like it.

If you play for money (more than just a couple of bucks), then I would avoid using a non-conforming club.

Do you kick your ball out of the woods? Do you drop without taking a penalty stroke? Do you carry 15+ clubs in your bag?

These are all cheating and if you are fine with those, then the non-conforming club is not going to put you over the edge.

One other thing to consider is whether your playing partners give a rat's ass about it. Personally, I don't check whether the guys I play with use conforming clubs or how many they have in their bag, but I don't play for big bucks. If they care, you should too.

I've been looking for a cobra sz driver on ebay, and all of them in decent condition seem to be going for $140 or higher. I come across a cobra sz UNLIMITED. The Seller says that it is only legal until 2008. The best part is that it is one of those demos that has barely been hit (i'm guessing because it's soon to be illegal). This club is on sale for 90 bucks!!!

Now i'm not a professional golfer, but i play in the summer all of the time, and i usually play in the city tourney in my hometown mason city, and in iowa city. If i buy this driver i plan on keeping it about 4 years, and the issue will come up if i should use it in these tourneys.

It looks EXACTLY like the other SZ drivers with the same headcover and everything, the only difference is that it says UNLIMITED on the bottom of the club. I doubt anyone would notice, or even know that this particular driver is illegal.

I'm on the fence about this one, would it make me a bad person to use an illegal club? The only reason i'm entertaining this is because it is so much cheaper than the others. Would it really give me that much of a disadvantage?

how do you all feel on this?

Where's the problem? It's legal for at least 2 more summers.

If you play for money (more than just a couple of bucks), then I would avoid using a non-conforming club.

Do you kick your ball out of the woods? Do you drop without taking a penalty stroke? Do you carry 15+ clubs in your bag?

These are all cheating and if you are fine with those, then the non-conforming club is not going to put you over the edge.

One other thing to consider is whether your playing partners give a rat's ass about it. Personally, I don't check whether the guys I play with use conforming clubs or how many they have in their bag, but I don't play for big bucks. If they care, you should too.

yeah. what he said.

These are all cheating

Oh crap!

The Woods family is having an estate sale, I heard.

Use the club while it's legal, and then get rid of it once it's illegal. Golf is a gentlemen's game. The only sport where you call a penalty on your self. It's part of what makes it great.

Use the club while it's legal, and then get rid of it once it's illegal. Golf is a gentlemen's game. The only sport where you call a penalty on your self. It's part of what makes it great.

I was just about to post that.

No i don't kick my ball or play any type of "winter rules" (constatly fluffing your ball up for a good lie) That's why i'm kind of torn about it. I mean i don't play "amatuer golf" anymore (highschool/college) so i just wasn't sure whether or not to make that decision. I'm sure the club wouldn't be that much better than a regular cobra sz... it's probably not worth having a guilty conscience over.

Spend the money now... I don't know too many people who aren't on the lookout for another driver every couple years or so anyway.

If you don't want to buy a new one, just grind the "UNLIMITED" off of the bottom!

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying. :thumbsdown:

Guest tiki_gods

It ain't the arrows chief, its the Indian who slings them. HTH