Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Alex Gordon baseball cards going for $2,500?

Has anyone heard this story? I guess Topps printed an Alex Gordon rookie card, but it broke an MLB rule in which you can't print an official "rookie card" until the player has made the 25 man roster. Topps has stopped printing these cards. Apparently the only place that it has released these boxes are to wal-marts because of some deal or something they have. apparently these are extremely rare and the card is going for 2,500 on ebay right now, and boxes for like 80 bucks a piece (retail 19.99). Has anyone heard of this? would it be worth buying a few boxes on ebay if this gordon kid (2nd overall in the draft) becomes a star or something?

Yeah... i used to have a topps stadium club Frank Thomas RC...

glad that panned out :blink:

Yeah... i used to have a topps stadium club Frank Thomas RC...

glad that panned out :rolleyes:

Cards are a joke.

I remember I had a David Robinson rookie that was worth a mint.. probably worth 2 bucks now.

Has anyone heard this story? I guess Topps printed an Alex Gordon rookie card, but it broke an MLB rule in which you can't print an official "rookie card" until the player has made the 25 man roster. Topps has stopped printing these cards. Apparently the only place that it has released these boxes are to wal-marts because of some deal or something they have. apparently these are extremely rare and the card is going for 2,500 on ebay right now, and boxes for like 80 bucks a piece (retail 19.99). Has anyone heard of this? would it be worth buying a few boxes on ebay if this gordon kid (2nd overall in the draft) becomes a star or something?

Save your money. There were very few of those cards made. Yourchances of getting one are really small. The sellers probably have an idea which boxes are more likely to have one based on location and date. They won't be sending you one of those.

Cards are a joke.

I remember I had a David Robinson rookie that was worth a mint.. probably worth 2 bucks now.

skybox made it .

the skybox days

sweet i got 10 of em :(

sweet i got 10 of em :(

yeah, you're a royals fan... you heard if this kid is gonna blow up (most likely not in KC, but after they trade him i mean!)

:banana:

yeah, you're a royals fan... you heard if this kid is gonna blow up (most likely not in KC, but after they trade him i mean!)

:banana:

Won't surprise me if the royals bring him up later this year. What do they have to lose? Except of course options on teh kid :(

sweet!! i have 3...

ok, thought i had 3...forget that new car...

its alex cintron :clap:

Anyone think this was done by accident? I remember back in the day topps,fleer,upperdeck and the like would allow error cards to "get by" them and it would cause a frenzy in the collector comminity. Reverse negitives,double printings things like that caused the cards to be worth more. I often wondered if it was done on by the company to drive up sales. Maybe this is a part of their marketing plan to drive people back to cards. Maybe I am parinoid, could be the weed.

The Billy Ripken Fock Face card was, if for nothing other than the sake of hilarity, priceless.

:wall: kilroy

99% of this shiznit they pull on purpose to stir things up and make $$$ of

pathetic losahs.

Anyone think this was done by accident? I remember back in the day topps,fleer,upperdeck and the like would allow error cards to "get by" them and it would cause a frenzy in the collector comminity. Reverse negitives,double printings things like that caused the cards to be worth more. I often wondered if it was done on by the company to drive up sales. Maybe this is a part of their marketing plan to drive people back to cards. Maybe I am parinoid, could be the weed.

At the risk of dating myself, does anyone remember when Topps released a bunch of cards where the team was listed as "Washington Nat'l league"? I think it was 1973. I believe it was the some of teh San Diego Padre cards. I was too young to remember the situation, but it may have had something to do with the Padres possibly moving to Washington.

Anyway, there were rumors going around that they were the cards to get and that they would be worth thousands. Us kids would spend our entire allowances on cards.

Good times. Good times.

Cards are a joke.

Yep...anything other than a Honus Wagner, Mantle Rookie ,etc--the old shtuff, that people "collected" before cards were tagged "collectible".

The price guides and card makers are the leaders of a cult. The card buyers that think they are "investing" or that cards will be "worth" anything, are their followers.

"What's book?"

"Book value is $47"

ahh...the good ol days "Dad, I just opened a pack of cards that cost 50 cents, and their worth $37. 40!"

:wall:

Yep...anything other than a Honus Wagner, Mantle Rookie ,etc--the old shtuff, that people "collected" before cards were tagged "collectible".

The price guides and card makers are the leaders of a cult. The card buyers that think they are "investing" or that cards will be "worth" anything, are their followers.

"What's book?"

"Book value is $47"

ahh...the good ol days "Dad, I just opened a pack of cards that cost 50 cents, and their worth $37. 40!"

:wall:

I used to be into cards HUGE. I still have a box full of cards that SHOULD be worth something had the card market not bombed. I have a ton of farve rookie cards, a barry sanders, a lot of griffy jr's and still some of the old ones. Reggie jackson, mickey mantle, Ted williams. These cards should be worth a ton but they are what they were intended to be now, just kids toys. I also have a lot of autographed baseballs. I have a mantle, hank aaron, bob feller,warren spahn,Al kaline and kirk gibson. My dad was a big baseball fan.Gibson was drunk when he signed my ball. He had a case of beer on the table and was just getting plastered while all these little kids were waiting in line to get his autograph.

one of my friends, few years older, normal looking guy, degree,

good job, nice car, athletic etc...has a huge baseball card collection

and buys all of those magazines and travels to shows etc etc

he is 30

he lives at home with mom(his dad died about 12 years ago)

dude has never had sex with a woman

(altho even without the cards just living at home would be enough I spose...)

he lives at home with mom

dude has never had sex with a woman

What's holding him back?

This card will be worth nothing in a year. I remember having the Billy Ripken card which had f*ck face written on the bottom of the bat. It was hot for a short while, and than you couldn't give it away. These guys are doing the right thing and trying to sell it now, before it is worth nothing.

skybox made it .

the skybox days

I thought it was Hoops?

I remember saving up $40 to buy that stupid Billy Ripken Fuckface card. Wonder what the POS card is worth now.

This card will be worth nothing in a year. I remember having the Billy Ripken card which had f*ck face written on the bottom of the bat. It was hot for a short while, and than you couldn't give it away. These guys are doing the right thing and trying to sell it now, before it is worth nothing.

I was gonna post the same thing. I had like 10 of those Ripkin cards and sold them all when they were hot. The only sports cards I bothered to keep are my Andre Dawson and Alan Trammell signed rookies and a wings jersey and puck signed by Paul Coffey and Dino Cicarelli. All of which are probably worth absolutely nothing but are sentimental items to me.

Gordon awaits Royals' call

05/10/2006 8:20 AM ET

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

For everything Alex Gordon has experienced since the Royals took him with the No. 2 overall pick in last June's draft, it's hard to believe he's been playing in his first regular season for a little over a month.

"It feels like I haven't played a game in five years," Gordon said from big league camp in his first Spring Training as a member of the Royals organization. "It felt good to come out here and put on a uniform. I'm always used to playing baseball. I took a lot of time off. It was kind of hard for me, but I think I got what was best out of it. I'm ready to move on and start playing."

The Royals certainly are looking forward to that as well. After prolonged negotiations, the club was finally able to ink the star Nebraska third baseman to a $4 million signing bonus. Before the ink had dried, the expecations for a quick climb to Kansas City rose exponentially.

"If there's one person to deal with those sorts of pressures, just because of his character, Alex is that guy," said Royals scouting director Deric Ladnier. "The organization, we thought he had all the ability in the world, he had the skills and the makeup. He's the whole package. It's just a matter of him going out and playing and doing the things he's capable of doing."

What he's capable of doing is hitting for average and power while playing a good third base, and doing it in a big league uniform sooner rather than later. He hit .372 with 19 homer and 66 RBIs in his final season with Nebraska, earning him College Player of the Year honors. He's played in a number of international events, so high levels of competition don't exactly faze him.

The Royals, trying to find at-bats for him somewhere after he signed, threw him into the elite Arizona Fall League after just a handful of plate appearances in instructional league play. He got in only 50 at-bats, but more than held his own with some of the top prospects in baseball, allowing the Royals to speed the process somewhat by sending him to Double-A Wichita for him to officially begin his Royals career. Over his first 32 games in Witchita (through May 9), Gordon is hitting .313 with 17 RBIs, 40 hits and 7 homers for the Wranglers.

By the time he reaches the Majors, he'll bring with him a great deal of knowledge dropped on him from a pair of third basemen with 17 All-Star appearances and a Hall of Fame induction under their collective belt. It's obvious both former Royals great George Brett and manager Buddy Bell will have a lasting impact on Gordon's future.

"They were both All-Stars, great players back in the day, so once they start teaching you something you take it to heart and listen to every word that they say," Gordon said.

All signs point that when Gordon is ready -- and it could be as soon as this month -- he'll get the call (and eventually get penciled into the lineup every day). But will it be at third, Brett's old stomping grounds? Mark Teahen, the incumbent starter in his second season with the Royals, was optioned to Triple-A Omaha earlier this week. Tony Graffanino has seen time at third over the last three games.

As of right now, there are no plans to move either Gordon or Teahen away from third base.

"I'm strictly at third right now," Gordon said. "I'm doing what I need to do over there. Mark's working hard, too. We're both great players and I think we're going to push each other to be better. I think that's good competition for the Royals and I think it will make us a better team."

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...xt=.jsp&c_id=kc

if its a favre stadium club rookie, itll hop up in value this year with his pursuit of qb records...

sanders 89 score card is still worth money...

i collect cards still..but am not crazy enough to feel through packs like a lot of losers do at the stores...

all that money on an alex gordon and you can buy cheap minor league boxes for 20...

those are the cards i like..early minor leaguers..they are fun to get signed and the players love seeing them..fun to display in the bar area...

i have 43 pujols single A cards...6 signed..

never had a fockface card..i tried though..but with the rack packs..people know the order of the cards..all youd get was kelly gruber and glenn braggs..