Sign in to follow this  
D'ohmer Simpson

When do you become a Silverback?

I consider myself a silverback. I've been lurking since this bored's been around, but joined in 2000, getting in under the 5k mark. I was 12 back then. I made a big push in 2001/2002, tried to follow in the footsteps of Dalem, and planned on one day becomming the all time post leader at FFToday. Who needs friends when you have goals like that? I agree with Rusty that 2002 was probably the best year, but after that I kinda faded out along with a lot of other people. The bored grew in popularity and got lame, and I started to do things other than post 30 times a day. Nowadays there's way too many people on this bored, and everyone sounds the same. No one is original and/or funny. I don't have time for posting these days (Now I'm 18 about to graduate high school), but in the last year or so I've been spotted breaking records at the arcade in the sanctuary.

So yeah, I kind of grew up on this bored. Typing that makes me want to re-evaluate my life.

I thought 2002 was pretty good. There were jihads, hilarity and all kinds of hijinx. It was the Year of the Curlies as well.

Then there was GTG when it was fresh and funny, and posters actually told interesting and funny stories about themselves, stuff that made them legends and resulted in coined phrases.

There aren't so many stories now, because there are too many douchebags here.

:huh:

After noticing next month will make it 4 years here and member numbers over at the main board skyrocketing above 60k I started going through a Geek mid-life crisis. :( Off to buy a corvette and get plugs.

booty was the only female for a while before skinschick came around. Now was booty really a female or was she Tarheel's alias?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Booty was not an alias of mine. She was a cool poster. She sent me a couple of pictures back in the day, but I've lost them. Last I talked to her she was living in Houston.

Before SkinsChick, there was footballchick. :wub:

:(

One of the coolest female posters ever on this board. Even though she was a Michigan fan. :huh:

If you posted on these boards before October of 1999 that's when it was really great. You could use whatever username you wanted for each post. I remember a buddy of mine that stills posts here from time to time made GFIAFP look like a tool. If you can remember posters like Tosh and Quoth the Raven then you're a silverback.

Rick Mears.....

And some of the best threads ever on this board were the original discount threads.

Mephisto, Ditkanate, Smitty, Mookie, CMT. Now that shiot was funny.

I have a question.....

I've read this thread and see that a lot of the old-timers (Mookie, Dave32, ect.) made a return.

Where are these "silverbacks" and how do they know there is suddenly a thread on her which is about them?

Are they constantly checking in as "guest" just to see what the topics are and then finally logging in once every six months or so when there is something that sparks their interest?

Or are they old membernames of guys who still post here under a different name?

It just seems odd that these guys who I've never seen in two years, but are obviously respected founding members, suddenly appear when there's a thread about them.

I have a question.....

I've read this thread and see that a lot of the old-timers (Mookie, Dave32, ect.) made a return.

Where are these "silverbacks" and how do they know there is suddenly a thread on her which is about them?

Are they constantly checking in as "guest" just to see what the topics are and then finally logging in once every six months or so when there is something that sparks their interest?

Or are they old membernames of guys who still post here under a different name?

It just seems odd that these guys who I've never seen in two years, but are obviously respected founding members, suddenly appear when there's a thread about them.

-------------------------insert Twilight Zone Theme here---------------------------------------

Most of them keep track more than you'd believe. :thumbsup:

If you posted on these boards before October of 1999 that's when it was really great. You could use whatever username you wanted for each post. I remember a buddy of mine that stills posts here from time to time made GFIAFP look like a tool. If you can remember posters like Tosh and Quoth the Raven then you're a silverback.

Rick Mears.....

And some of the best threads ever on this board were the original discount threads.

Mephisto, Ditkanate, Smitty, Mookie, CMT. Now that shiot was funny.

The discount threads and the haiku flame wars are arguably the funniest and most original "series" of threads evah!

Welcome home, TB. How's the wife?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Booty was not an alias of mine. She was a cool poster. She sent me a couple of pictures back in the day, but I've lost them. Last I talked to her she was living in Houston.

:thumbsup:

Wasn't she married to some fairly rich guy and then decided to go back to work, hence her leaving the board? Man, it's been a while...

The discount threads and the haiku flame wars are arguably the funniest and most original "series" of threads evah!

Mookie would get my vote as the single most funny poster evar on this board.

Welcome home, TB. How's the wife?

B)

Hey, dude. Mrs. TB is doing good. I rarely post here anymore due to work and other stuff. Good to see you, Blitzen, RC and the other old timers here in this thread.

Wasn't she married to some fairly rich guy and then decided to go back to work, hence her leaving the board? Man, it's been a while...

Mookie would get my vote as the single most funny poster evar on this board.

Yep, she was pretty well off. She sent me a picture of her and her family infront of their house. Needless to say, she really didn't have to work. That house was sweet.

Man, I remember some hilarious haiku's. I had forgot about that.

Newbie,

I think a lot of people got tired of the same tired old stuff, so they stopped posting very much, but they still lurk a bit. Plus, a few them pop in other message boards here and there, so they might hear (through the grape vine) about this thread.

Oh, they're around.

Ah, buck.

A silverback instrumental in winning the mange board-geek board challenge.

This was funny.

Man, I remember some hilarious haiku's. I had forgot about that.

Newbie,

I think a lot of people got tired of the same tired old stuff, so they stopped posting very much, but they still lurk a bit.

:o

Yep. It's just not as funny as it used to be and I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I don't know why so many think Rusty is funny. Maybe I haven't seen enough of his threads, but everyone seems to think he's the comedic genius.

:blink:

Yep. It's just not as funny as it used to be and I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I don't know why so many think Rusty is funny. Maybe I haven't seen enough of his threads, but everyone seems to think he's the comedic genius.

The whole alias thing is WAY overdone and lame. Plus, the silverbacks had a sort of relationship with each other, a love/hate thing that brought hilarity out in very, uh, interesting ways.

The whole alias thing is WAY overdone and lame. Plus, the silverbacks had a sort of relationship with each other, a love/hate thing that brought hilarity out in very, uh, interesting ways.

FOCK OFF, my friend.

:blink:

I don't think it's that he's necessarily a comedic genius, but that his name is really recognizeable and he does have some funny moments, and people (generally) like him. There are others that have some funny moments, but people don't want to recognize it because they're ticked off at them. :D

I recall lurking here and some of the threads a la the steak thread and others were much overrated.

That aside, still was much better than now.

Who still posts here who has the LOWEST member number?

Lowest I've seen is Tarheel Boy with 110. :ninja:

ETA: Becides Mike FF Today of course.

Who still posts here who has the LOWEST member number?

Lowest I've seen is Tarheel Boy with 110. :ninja:

Other than Mike FF Today, Megla, it's not even close.

Megla is #5, I think.

yep. That's what I mean, other than Mike, it's Megla, and it's not even close (before the next guy).

:ninja:

Rusty has never been funny.

Remember when he would use "butt jouster" in every post? Damn, that got on my nerves.

I don't have a problem with him, I just don't think he's funny. I might read some of his threads from time to time, but I can't honestly recall even smiling at one of his comments. I tried listening to his music links that he has because I thought someone said it was hillarious, but couldn't hear anything that was funny. :ninja:

I don't have a problem with him, I just don't think he's funny. I might read some of his threads from time to time, but I can't honestly recall even smiling at one of his comments. I tried listening to his music links that he has because I thought someone said it was hillarious, but couldn't hear anything that was funny. :unsure:

You'll always have me, big guy.

You're like a fish that really needs to be thrown back.

Is it his (lack of) size, smell, or the third eye that frightens you the most?

Is it his (lack of) size, smell, or the third eye that frightens you the most?

It's mostly that he adds no value to the overall pond, he needs more time to mature into less unfunny.

And he's stinky stoopid.

Link to this so-called "many think Rusty is funny."

I've had some original moments here, just like everyone else, but I certainly don't recall being crowned some kind of king of comedy or anything. Nor am I aware of anything in particular other than March Madness threads that have you contributed anything of substance to this forum.

So, uh, fock you, I guess.

:mad:

Link to this so-called "many think Rusty is funny."

I've had some original moments here, just like everyone else, but I certainly don't recall being crowned some kind of king of comedy or anything. Nor am I aware of anything in particular other than March Madness threads that have you contributed anything of substance to this forum.

So, uh, fock you, I guess.

Is that your final answer?

Dan Sez is in the top 20 member #s. Maybe #9 if I remember correctly.

Alas, he retired from full time posting.

Is that your final answer?

I dunno. It just seems odd that some of the old-timers are grousing about me when I've been here for five years of contributing whatever I could while they slinked off to some place where people complain about how things are never as good as they were when they had a slice of the so-called spotlight.

I said long ago that you'd never catch me bellyaching like an old man whose life passed me by about the forums here. It is what it is, and it has evolved, for better and worse. If I don't like it, I'll just disappear instead of reappearing from time to time to remind the relative newcomers that they'll never be as good as their predecessors. I just take the attitude that things change, and that's the way it is, andtyou look like a bitter old fart for lamenting times that weren't so great in the first place and have no reason to act like it's so holier-than thou now.

Pardon my spelling, but my home computer is slow and frustrating.

I dunno. It just seems odd that some of the old-timers are grousing about me when I've been here for five years of contributing whatever I could while they slinked off to some place where people complain about how things are never as good as they were when they had a slice of the so-called spotlight.

I said long ago that you'd never catch me bellyaching like an old man whose life passed me by about the forums here. It is what it is, and it has evolved, for better and worse. If I don't like it, I'll just disappear instead of reappearing from time to time to remind the relative newcomers that they'll never be as good as their predecessors. I just take the attitude that things change, and that's the way it is, andtyou look like a bitter old fart for lamenting times that weren't so great in the first place and have no reason to act like it's so holier-than thou now.

Pardon my spelling, but my home computer is slow and frustrating.

Thank you for your kind word, you originally unfunny, focker.

I have nothing more to say other than keep on keeping on bringing the unfunny!

Never. Never, alright? You weren't born here, you're not an islander.

And you were long ago voted off, Gilligan

Thank you for your kind word, you originally unfunny, focker.

I have nothing more to say other than keep on keeping on bringing the unfunny!

I thought Rusty's battles with the jalapenos were pretty funny. That was you right Rustor?

And you were long ago voted off, Gilligan

Actually ... that's a quote froma movie called "Jaws". Prolly before your time.

And BTW .... nobody ever got voted off Gilligan's Island.