Sign in to follow this  
football_scooter

On the Clock!

12 team league, no PPR, .1/1 RuYd, .1/2 PaYd, all TDs 6 pts.

So far, the draft went

LJ

SA

LT2

Portis

James

Tiki

LJordan

1.08 - you

Some here would argue that SJax is towards the bottom of the 2nd tier of RBs, while Manning is in a tier of his own at QB. SJax is on a Rams team saying all the right things about devoting more to the run and a balanced offense, but Faulk's resigning has them also saying they want MF to get 10-14 touches a game. Still, SJax is a terrific RB, and the Rams should be an explosive offense - I think 1.08 is a solid value for him.

But this is a season where due to injuries, there are very few stud QBs that are sure things...Manning is an every week stud and some believe that he's in for a huge season with Edge gone. Probably won't return to 50 TDs, but he could come close, and the yardage is always there, consisently.

Indeed, this OTC is as much about player preferance as it is about draft strategy.

What to do...Peyton Manning or Steven Jackson... :thumbsup:

It's 1.08 - you're on the clock!

:lol:

Jackson :thumbsup:

the drop off at RB in the 2nd round forces me to take RB here.

Got to take the RB here. I've almost always taken QBs late and always managed to find quality starters.

Last year I took Manning @4. After week 2, I was lucky enough to be able to deal him for Thomas Jones and Lamont Jordan.

Jackson :doublethumbsup:

the drop off at RB in the 2nd round forces me to take RB here.

definately S-jax....rbs get very scarce after round 2. u can score a decent qb in the middle rounds.

definately S-jax....rbs get very scarce after round 2. u can score a decent qb in the middle rounds.

This year it seems that there will be a lot of options at RB in the later rounds because of all the RBBCs that are out there. Ofcourse those picks are very boom/bust, but if you end up with the right guy it will be first round value in the 5th round. In my lower $ league I plan to get crazy and take WRs with my first two picks and then stock up on RBs in the mid rounds. If I could grab Steve Smith and Harrison, and then get lucky with some guys like Bell, Benson, Maroney, Addai, etc. it could be a very dominant team.

I don't consider this close...It's the tailback.

Manning is definitely the stud at the QB position, but I would much rather have the known quantity at RB then spend 3 weeks figuring out the RBBC situations......

Given the multitude of RB questions this year, I believe that fielding a backfield of players that get carries every week will be the biggest FF challenge this season.

Manning is definitely the stud at the QB position, but I would much rather have the known quantity at RB then spend 3 weeks figuring out the RBBC situations......

Given the multitude of RB questions this year, I believe that fielding a backfield of players that get carries every week will be the biggest FF challenge this season.

I agree with this not being close, I wouldn't take Manning until the 2nd round. Last year he had to be a 1st round pick with his numbers that high from the year before, but his falloff was big and made me realize that a QB shouldn't be taken until at least the 2nd round. Manning will not make up the points lost from the RB hole you will find yourself in.

This pick would be between Rudi and SJax for me, now that would be a tough call!

gotta go Jackson in this case.....even though I think Manning will have a stellar year. Jackson's potential for 1800 total yds and 15 TDs would just be needling at me.

SJax and if Faulk scares you then go Ronnie Brown - maybe Brown even if not.

take rudi are you nuts! :doublethumbsup:

I would take Rudi......Jax and Ronnie would be a cloe one for me....

I'd rather take Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, or Rudi Johnson in that order of preference. If I really have to choose, I'll take Peyton Manning. Just don't like S. Jackson.

sjax. Unless you think manning will have a performance like 2 yrs ago ,which i dont, i think this is the first year that i would be surprised if the 1st round werent all rbs.

Not complaining, just wondering, are all the on the clocks henceforth going to be in this format instead of a poll?

Too many experts on this board Scooter (so they say:)- everyone here will take a Rb first. Good match up though - I think if td's passes were worth 6 points its a contest...Otherwise Sjax all the way.

sjax. Unless you think manning will have a performance like 2 yrs ago ,which i dont, i think this is the first year that i would be surprised if the 1st round werent all rbs.

Not complaining, just wondering, are all the on the clocks henceforth going to be in this format instead of a poll?

If all rb's go in the first round (which I agree is a great possiblity) - would you be willing to take wr wr if you were sitting in positions 10-12?

owens and moss

owens and fitz

Owens and Smith - then follow that up with 3 rb's bell, foster, fwp, green, droughns(if he's makes it to the 3rd) martin, - you would have an elite receiving corps with trade possibilities up the wazoo. Just a thought - I'll have to see where I am on draft day.

Too many experts on this board Scooter (so they say:)- everyone here will take a Rb first. Good match up though - I think if td's passes were worth 6 points its a contest...Otherwise Sjax all the way.

I'm faced with that this year.

Franchise 1 player. Peyton, Lamont Jordan or Caddy (Westy isn't eligible since I tagged him last year).

All TD (pass, run rec) are worth:

less than 10 yds 6 pts

10+ yards 9pts each

40+ yards 12pts each

DOUBLE points if a RB catches or throws a TD...WR throws or runs for a TD...QB runs or catches a TD. Obviously, a RB that catches TD passes is a premium. (hence I'm probably keeping Jordan barring a major shakeup during preseason)

OTC, it's an easy one...take the RB.

Im a little surprised that more experts here arent intrigued with the possibilty....or even probability that Peyton Manning will throw for 35-40TDs this year. Imo, this year, losing Edge the grinder, Manning will absolutely be on the top of his game........in the regular season.

Im a little surprised that more experts here arent intrigued with the possibilty....or even probability that Peyton Manning will throw for 35-40TDs this year. Imo, this year, losing Edge the grinder, Manning will absolutely be on the top of his game........in the regular season.

I'll leave the expert title to someone else. I'm an NFL fan & love ff.

Personally, I see the whole O slipping a bit this season with the loss of edge. Couple that with exposing the offensive line weakness, they will need a vetern blocking RB more than ever.

Worse yet, if Peyton gets sacked as much as he did vs Pittsburgh & San Diego, he won't even last the season.

I see several red flags in regards to the Colts offense this year.

1) The decline of Harrison. Hard for me to type that last sentence....but it's happening before our eyes and this will be the first year he finishes outside the top 10.

2) The loss of Edge. I can't overstate this point enough. Edge was a complete back, an every down back, and a back that knew this offense and Peyton's tendencies as well as anyone on the coaching staff. Besides the obvious (running and catching passes out of the backfield), Edge excelled in blitz pick-ups. I don't think Addai is going to be a great pro....I could be wrong, be either way he won't be anywhere near enough to compensate for the loss of Edge for the upcoming season. The reason the Colts offense works so well is because of the threat of the run and the playaction of Peyton Manning. Who's gonna bite on a playaction when you can't run the ball? I know some on here will argue the opposite could be true....but I'll stick by my guns that losing Edge is REALLY gonna hurt Peyton.

3) The continued improvement of the defense. No more need to outscore the opponents and, in my opinion, fewer pass attempts.

In short...if you're gonna draft a receiver from the Colts this year, the guy to get in my opinion is Reggie Wayne. Not just because he's younger and about to enter his prime....but also because he can be had cheaper than Marvin Harrison. I'm guessing you can get Wayne at least a round or two after Harrison....which is a bargain relatively speaking.

I'd be the odd one here and go with Manning. He is head and shoulders above any qb. I'd rather have R. Bown.

ADP has them at 1.08 & 1.09 right now.

Jackson...and it's not even close

Actually, for many it will be.

as stated, their ADP is 1.08/1.09

I am not saying I'd take Manning, but it is close. You can't name another top tier QB who's healthy and in a good offense.

McNabb, Palmer, CPep, Bulger etc, etc, etc - all coming off injury and some in new offenses (Bulger/CPep).

If I'm at 1.08 I would seriously consider Manning here, then taking best available RB on the way back, and grabbing a Dunn/Droughns at 3.08.

You'd have a rock solid core of players, and your QB would very likely outscore all others on a wekly basis, while your RBs would compete.

If you're going to say it's "not close", maybe try to bring something to the table to support that. Like I said - I likely wouldn't take Manning, but at least I can make a case for why someone would.

take rudi are you nuts! :D

Rudi's ADP is 1.11

I am not "nuts", but thanks for your non participation in this topic. <_<

but Faulk's resigning has them also saying they want MF to get 10-14 touches a game.

I've barely been on the bored for a while and haven't seen/heard this. I'm an s-jax owner and his resigning doesn't scare me at all. As far as I know it's just a ploy to be able to expand his salary cap hit over multiple seasons if he decides to retire in the next 2 years... :first:

I can't see surviving in any 12 teamer picking a QB mid to late in the first. On that fact alone I choose Jackson.

I can't see surviving in any 12 teamer picking a QB mid to late in the first. On that fact alone I choose Jackson.

:clap: taking a QB first round basically throws away your whole team i believe. wait longer and take a middle-round qb

Wow - were you here last year when there were 20 topics arguing why Manning should be the #1 overall pick?

lmao

people sure are benefitting from hindsight.

Again, I was one of those saying it was crazy to take him anywhere before 1.10, but this seems to be the opposite extreme. I wonder how many of those here saying things like this took Manning top 3 last year and got burned by it. :clap:

I've barely been on the bored for a while and haven't seen/heard this.

May 12, 2006 - 11:38 a.m.

Coach Scott Linehan told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he hopes to get Faulk 10-12 carries per game in 2006.

Some things are written in places other than this board. It's a tip.

I agree that the Colts O will slip this year. I posted it in another thread and got slammed for it. But the O-line got exposed in the playoffs, and losing a great blocker like Edge is going to mean more hits on Peyton. I don't know much about Addai's blocking ability, but Rhodes isn't very good at it. And the D isn't going to be scared of either RB, so they'll probably blitz more.

But I wouldn't take SJax here. I like either Rudi, Cadillac or Brown here better. I'd put SJax after those three. I just don't see him getting 20+ carries a game to make him a stud RB this year.

I'll take Peyton late in the 1st over Jackson and I think my team could be just fine. The RB theory gets so old. I like Jackson's potential to do well this year but love Peyton's potential who's in his own tier superior to any other qb. I'd have no problem taking my chances with some 2nd and 3rd tier RB's knowing that I have a QB that could win the week for me single handedly. He did that for many teams just 2 years ago.

I don't think this is a lopsided as many are claiming it to be. It just sounds like there are very few who like to think out of the box and take a couple chances.

Sheep. You're all sheep. :clap:

Wow - were you here last year when there were 20 topics arguing why Manning should be the #1 overall pick?

people sure are benefitting from hindsight.

Again, I was one of those saying it was crazy to take him anywhere before 1.10, but this seems to be the opposite extreme. I wonder how many of those here saying things like this took Manning top 3 last year and got burned by it.

Personally, I would not draft a QB in the first 2 rds, unless it was about 22-24 picks. But I can see some merit in drafting a stellar QB in the top 3 depending on your league's rules. Drafting any QB 7-12 in the first means you are almost certain to draft RB,RB in the 2nd and 3rd. While you may find good RB pickings at 13-18 in the second, you could be in serious trouble at 31-36. You wind up playing catchup the whole draft.

Personally, I would not draft a QB in the first 2 rds, unless it was about 22-24 picks. But I can see some merit in drafting a stellar QB in the top 3 depending on your league's rules. Drafting any QB 7-12 in the first means you are almost certain to draft RB,RB in the 2nd and 3rd. While you may find good RB pickings at 13-18 in the second, you could be in serious trouble at 31-36. You wind up playing catchup the whole draft.

It could also be said that if you don't have Peyton Manning on your team, you wind up playing catchup the whole draft to the guy that does have him.

It could also be said that if you don't have Peyton Manning on your team, you wind up playing catchup the whole draft to the guy that does have him.

A quick check of my league, last 4 drafts.

3x Manning taken in 1st #2,3,6 (none made playoffs)

1x Manning taken in 2nd (won championship and that was Manning's incredible year)

Except for that incredible 2004 year (Duante was better that year BTW), he really is just a hair above the rest. Certainly not worth coveting on draft day. IMO.

Some things are written in places other than this board. It's a tip.

:banana: I wuzn't calling you a liar, i just meant i haven't had much time to check on up on anything football related and hadn't heard that yet. I still think it's more of a salary cap strategy.

I think this is pretty close.. I lean towards Sjax because I usually go RB in round one but I could also see grabbing Manning and then you should get a pretty good RB coming back... I think this is a good close contest... JMHO

With no PPR and 6 pts for all TD's I would think hard about Manning even though my instincts say take an RB in the 1st. Manning is the only QB in my first tier and the dropoff to the 2nd tier is bigger than before with injuries and new situations for the other top QB's IMO.

With no PPR and 6 pts for all TD's I would think hard about Manning even though my instincts say take an RB in the 1st. Manning is the only QB in my first tier and the dropoff to the 2nd tier is bigger than before with injuries and new situations for the other top QB's IMO.

Exactly.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the scenario, and the fact that so many "stud" QBs have a lot of risk this year. All of them but PManning, actually.

I think it's hillarious that some of the people in here saying Jackons is a no-brainer were arguing with me over why PManning was the no-brainer 1.01 last year, or 1.02 behind LT2. :huh: (for the record, I said pretty well the same thing then...that 1.01/1.02 was ridiculously high for a QB but at 1.08=> I'd consider it.

I am a die-hard stud RB guy, but I would actually consider Manning from this point on in a redraft.

Conceivably, you could go:

1.08 - PManning

2.05 - DDavis (should be there in a non-PPR league - ADP is 2.04)

3.08 - JLewis/WDunn/CTaylor

And since the offense in Stl is a bit of a mystery and SJax is taken out on 3rd downs, one could argue that any of DDavis, JLewis, Dunn or CTaylor could equal SJax production. Not saying it will happen, but it's likely to be closer than the difference between PManning and the next QB option you have.

Not a bad nucleus of a team...and a major advantage over most of the other teams QB1 spot.

all the top qbs have problems coming into this season, but manning's seem less:

culp: major health, new team, new o-coordinator, no moss

mcnabb: health, crappy wrs, no TO

palmer: major health

manning: no edge

we've seen manning and his consistency for so long, even without edge (i believe he still posted 4000+yds and 26+tds).

jackson had a nice yr last season, and most ffers are predicting a super breakout of faulk-ian proportions; however, linehan has never been a super hb producer---more of a super qb and wr producer. id still be weary of jackson and his very high expectations.

picking at 1.8 means 8 players until the next pick. i still see cadillac, ronnie, jlewis, and mcgahee being viable hb1s; in addition, westbrook and rudi (despite defenses) are available, and the 'frisky' owner may roll the dice on an "addai-becoming-edge" mantra since he has a solid qb already (albeit from the same offense). lastly, picking this late(?) may also tempt some owners to go wr with moss or TO.

i think manning is still the class of the qb position (perhaps even moreso this offseason); his power track record and upside overtake sjackson here.

i picked manning.

Exactly.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the scenario, and the fact that so many "stud" QBs have a lot of risk this year. All of them but PManning, actually.

I think it's hillarious that some of the people in here saying Jackons is a no-brainer were arguing with me over why PManning was the no-brainer 1.01 last year, or 1.02 behind LT2. :unsure: (for the record, I said pretty well the same thing then...that 1.01/1.02 was ridiculously high for a QB but at 1.08=> I'd consider it.

I am a die-hard stud RB guy, but I would actually consider Manning from this point on in a redraft.

Conceivably, you could go:

1.08 - PManning

2.05 - DDavis (should be there in a non-PPR league - ADP is 2.04)

3.08 - JLewis/WDunn/CTaylor

And since the offense in Stl is a bit of a mystery and SJax is taken out on 3rd downs, one could argue that any of DDavis, JLewis, Dunn or CTaylor could equal SJax production. Not saying it will happen, but it's likely to be closer than the difference between PManning and the next QB option you have.

Not a bad nucleus of a team...and a major advantage over most of the other teams QB1 spot.

I am guilty of being one of the people high on Manning last season. It turned out to be the right decision because the BPA other than Manning was Dom Davis or Moss at the time.

This season, I think Peyton will be a lock for top 3 (most likely #1), but I don't see him "stepping up" to 2 seasons ago. More like a slight drop in production as teams finally have a blueprint to slow him down & the loss of Edge. This just makes everyone else more attractive.

In your example, I'd take:

1.08 Ronnie Brown/Sjax/Caddy

2.05 DDavis/Westbrook (my scoring system helps these guys)

3.08 CTaylor/ MiniMoss/ Ward / Chambers

The value of taking my QB in the 7-9th round is more attractive this year than last.

One more thing.

I can see why someone would draft Peyton here & wouldn't fault them for it one bit.

I have to admit, inside I'd be a little bit :lol: if my pick was after Peyton so the RBs I am targeting have a better chance of making it to my pick.

If I pick just before the Peyton pick, I'm a little bit bummed that he didn't go sooner or get shuffled down to me in the 2nd off of a RB frenzy.

No doubt that is all true fellas. Manning in the mid-to late-first round would be tough to pass up. In standard scoring league your RB would have to get 2,000 total yards and 35 TDs to equal Manning's output. I am among the believers, in general, of stacking up on RBs early. A guy in one of my leagues has Peyton as his one keeper. He gets drunk before/during/after the draft, does little research, and usually isn't paying attention, yet he gets far in the playoffs every year on Manning's back. The guy basically trades the next year's picks early in the season, gets a Tiki and a Hines Ward or TO, and then rides them all the way. He has horrible picks the next draft, but then just trades away the subsequent year's picks and is back in the playoffs again and again. I might be re-thinking taking Manning in a league in which TD passes are 6 pts each. It's too much production to pass up. Then, you can swipe a solid RB on the way around and you're solid. If you have a plan in place, then you can be fine. Someone is always looking to make a deal.