Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

Wayne vs Harrison?

Loss of Edge. More "possesion" catches for 1st downs and more red zone looks. Wayne is bigger, stronger and has watched what Harrison has done with Peyton. He got paid and did not tank or get attitude. I think this is the year he takes over as #1. And, I think he will be top 5. Your thoughts?

Have you ever seen those clips of Harrison and Manning practicing their timing and routes like 2-5 hours before kickoff? Do you ever see Wayne out there?

Nuff said.

not that I agree he will take over as the #1, but he probably will provide more value and I'd rather take Wayne later than Harrison early... :(

Loss of Edge. More "possesion" catches for 1st downs and more red zone looks. Wayne is bigger, stronger and has watched what Harrison has done with Peyton. He got paid and did not tank or get attitude. I think this is the year he takes over as #1. And, I think he will be top 5. Your thoughts?

bigger? stronger? what is he 5'11 185? :(

I'm not going to say he will do better. But, I don't think it is that much of a hyperbole to say it!! If you watched any of the games last year...Wayne is targeted much more than Harrison. At least that is the way it seemed. But, Harrison was targeted more for TD's.

i don't think this premise is such a bad one that it deserves ridicule. it's an intriguing thought. harrison is starting to show some miles, has had elbow surgery this summer (i think?)...i think he's at the place in his career where he starts the slide south.

regardless of your thoughts on this issue, i do think it's a slam dunk that wayne is a much, much better value than harrison. thus i'm inclined to let someone bite on harrison really early and target wayne a couple of rounds later.

i don't think this premise is such a bad one that it deserves ridicule. it's an intriguing thought. harrison is starting to show some miles, has had elbow surgery this summer (i think?)...i think he's at the place in his career where he starts the slide south.

regardless of your thoughts on this issue, i do think it's a slam dunk that wayne is a much, much better value than harrison. thus i'm inclined to let someone bite on harrison really early and target wayne a couple of rounds later.

In leagues that reward TDs over receptions and yards, I don't think that Wayne's value will be better than Harrison's. I'll take the 10+ TD lock in round 2, you take the upside of Wayne in the next round. If you play with ignorant fools, he may slide past that, and then I'd agree and say he has greater value.

I also don't think it's a stretch to say Wayne can outperform Harrison. Last year, the 6-0, 198lb (check your stats, people) Wayne had more catches (83) than Harrison (82). If defenses consistently have the safety set over the top of Harrison, especially early in the season when teams and going to test Indy's running game to see if it's still a viable threat, Wayne could see more big games early than Starvin' Marvin.

i don't see Harrison/Wayne having much more seperation in draft position than Fitz/Boldin.

that said, i would also rather wait for the later in each situation since i would most likely be able to get either Boldin/Wayne early-3rd (maybe mid-3rd on Wayne since he's not as hyped as Boldin right now) as opposed to having to go early-to-mid-2nd on Fitz/Harrison.

RB-RB-Boldin/Wayne looks pretty good to me...

Any Brandon Stokley predictions this year? That was money per FF Today Forums circa 2004.

:o I think he will have better #'s than marvin this year but will still be the #2. Young, strong, and a new contract='s big things for reggie wayne.

wayne had his one great season (1200-12) when manning went ballistic (4500-49).

until marv is really slow, he is the unquestioned wr1 in indy.

I think they will both put up very good numbers but like it was mentioned earlier, Manning and Marvin work together so well and so often that I think Marvin is still number one.. But it is getting closer...

wayne had his one great season (1200-12) when manning went ballistic (4500-49).

HAHAHA, one good year. He had more catches than Harrison last year. Come on. They franchised him for a reason. Wayne and Harrison are going to have very similar numbers, so let them take Harrison early, you can grab Wayne later :D

I think this is quite funny.....

by no means is Harrison on a big down fall and by no means is Wayne on a huge rise....

they had basically the same catches......for ONE year.....

harrison is still Mannings MAIN MAN......the before practice 3 hours of passing and catching posted earlier was a good point.....

ill take Harrison as my number 1 anyday....and great value for Wayne?.....

Harrison will be drafted behind TO Moss Holt Smith Fitz and CJ in most leagues.....and he will give you 85 catches 1200 yds and 12 TDs....just a few slot down maybe it goes Ward Boldin other moss then wayne....so maybe a round later or a round and a half later you will get Wayne,....who hasn't proven he will have better if not better stats than Marvin yet.....bring up One seasons catch total all you want....Wayne is good for 85 1200 and 8......

So basically what i see is them being the same value for where they are drafted....but with Harrison being a legit #1 fantasy WR and Wayne being a decent 1 and a great 2....

I believe Harrison has the highest floor of any WR, again. I also think Wayne could out produce Harrison.

Bruce/Holt revisited.

Manning's going to break his own record! (if the D stinks that could happen but since it wont, Indy will establish the running game untill the NFL fears it enough)

We agree a second time. The site will go down and this thread will be erased.

And thankyou, this premise does not deserve ridicule. As others have noted, it is Bruce/Holt revisited. It is more than a question of talent. Wayne is bigger stronger and faster. Harrison is the consumete pro and has all the "guile."

I wanted to see what others thought. My thought was that Wayne could surpass Harrison quite easily this season and be had in rounds 3 maybe 4, maybe even 5 depending on where I draft in RD4. Harrison will go in RD 2. My target is Wayne.

Swamp, I wish you could take your fine analysis, logic and acumen from outside the Norris into the Norris. It would be welcomed.

We agree a second time. The site will go down and this thread will be erased.

And thankyou, this premise does not deserve ridicule. As others have noted, it is Bruce/Holt revisited. It is more than a question of talent. Wayne is bigger stronger and faster. Harrison is the consumete pro and has all the "guile."

I wanted to see what others thought. My thought was that Wayne could surpass Harrison quite easily this season and be had in rounds 3 maybe 4, maybe even 5 depending on where I draft in RD4. Harrison will go in RD 2. My target is Wayne.

Swamp, I wish you could take your fine analysis, logic and acumen from outside the Norris into the Norris. It would be welcomed.

others? Its freakin one post above you!

:thumbsdown:

I think this is quite funny.....

by no means is Harrison on a big down fall and by no means is Wayne on a huge rise....

they had basically the same catches......for ONE year.....

harrison is still Mannings MAIN MAN......the before practice 3 hours of passing and catching posted earlier was a good point.....

ill take Harrison as my number 1 anyday....and great value for Wayne?.....

Harrison will be drafted behind TO Moss Holt Smith Fitz and CJ in most leagues.....and he will give you 85 catches 1200 yds and 12 TDs....just a few slot down maybe it goes Ward Boldin other moss then wayne....so maybe a round later or a round and a half later you will get Wayne,....who hasn't proven he will have better if not better stats than Marvin yet.....bring up One seasons catch total all you want....Wayne is good for 85 1200 and 8......

So basically what i see is them being the same value for where they are drafted....but with Harrison being a legit #1 fantasy WR and Wayne being a decent 1 and a great 2....

I agree with a lot of what you say. But, if you watched the games you would know that Harrison may be #1 on the depth chart. But, Manning routinely went to Wayne more often --at least that is the way it seemed.

Until defenses begin putting the safety over Wayne instead of Harrison, Harrison = #1.

With no Edge, Stokley should return to the FF radar.

Until defenses begin putting the safety over Wayne instead of Harrison, Harrison = #1.

With no Edge, Stokley should return to the FF radar.

I don't think anyone is saying that Wayne is the better WR. I am saying that he is the better WR for fantasy. You can get Wayne a round or two or maybe even 3 if you are in a crappy leage away from Harrison. And he will probably put up similar numbers in yards and receptions--probably a few shy in TD's. Koren Robinson was listed as the #1 WR for Seattle on the depth chart a few years ago...do you think that really meant anything.

I don't really see anyone in the Colts passing game (except for Manning) being a top 5 talent. The whole offence is built on the idea that there are too many guys to defend and Manning is smart enough to find the open man.

Harrison is still going to be the number one guy insofar as the top corner on the other team will defend him. However, numbers wise I can see him and Wayne being very close...in the 1100 and 8 range. Stokely may or may not crack 1000 but I don't see him slipping below 750. If Dallas Clark and the running backs combine for another 800 yards receiving and the other WRs and piece parts net say 400 that gets them up to 4150 - 4400 passing yards. Pretty close to what I expect.

I just don't see the numbers being skewed to the point that any of the positions above lose enough touches to get Wayne another 400 yards or so.

Harrison does turn 34 this year. Historically, wide receiver production peaks between the ages of 26-29, takes a step down between the ages of 30-33 and then drops off considerably at 34 and 35. By 36, you're hard pressed to find a 1000 yard receiver in the history of game (excluding Jerry Rice. :blink:

So, just be careful if you are basing your assessemnt of Harrison on what he has done in the past. He has never been 34 before...

That being said, I personally don't think that Harrison is doomed just because he's 34. He has one of the most prolific quarterbacks in history throwing him the ball, and has stayed in very good shape. But could I envision the proverbial torch being passed form Harrison to Wayne this year? Yeah, I can.

At the very least, Harison's age should be enough to make you pass on him at the top end of your draft. I've seen him ranked as high as the #2 WR receiver by so-called fanatsy football experts. That would be taking a huge risk, in my opinion.

:shocking: not likely

Have you ever seen those clips of Harrison and Manning practicing their timing and routes like 2-5 hours before kickoff? Do you ever see Wayne out there?

Nuff said.

Guys,

The difference in receiving yards last year between Harrison and Wayne: 91 yards in favor of Harrison.

The big difference...Harrison = 12 TD's Wayne = 5 TD's

I believe that Harrison had elbow surgery this year...I could be wrong though. Anyway...the only way IMO that Wayne has more TD's than Marvin would be due to injury. Harrison has always been relatively injury free his whole career, if I'm not mistaken.

So...unless Marvin has a bad injury this year or really looks like he is slowing down in camp this year, I would highly doubt that Wayne matches or beats Marvin for TD's. You can't just predict an injury for a guy that has been very healthy his whole career. And just because he is 34 instead of 33...the 1 year won't make a difference in a guy that takes great care of himself.

Therefore, I'd say that Marvin will still be da man in Indy this year. Draft him with confidence.

The big difference...Harrison = 12 TD's Wayne = 5 TD's

This is what makes Harrison a Top 5 and Wayne not likely to be one.

Not to take anything away from Wayne but he is the Colts second option after Harrison. Period. Of the 14 games both receivers legitimately played in last year, Wayne only out produced Marvin four times in terms of stats. In three of the four games Wayne posted the better stats it was by an average of only 2 receptions and 40 yards with no additional TD's. The only game Wayne clearly put up dominant numbers was week 11 when Wayne out gained Marvin by 70 yards and a TD. Both had the same number of receptions that week.

On the other hand, in the ten weeks Marvin posted better stats, he totalled 8 more TD's and around 250 more yards while averaging less than one reception per game more than Wayne. For the most part, Wayne gets his because of Marvin drawing the coverage. Defenses have not forgotten what Harrison was able to do them before Wayne (prior to the last third of '03) and he's the first receiving option they try to contain. As long as Marvin is on the field Manning will look to and audible plays to him because of the chemistry they have created.

If you consider which of the two garners the more meaningful receptions it's clearly Harrison. Having said that I would expect Wayne to post a few more receptions than Harrison but the bulk of TD's and long gainers will still be Marvins. In my opinion.