Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

We have stopped cooking for ourselves at home

Four meals per week prepared for us and we just reheat. I don't think they are gourmet quality, but the fact that someone else is doing the prep and clean up makes them pretty TASTY to me.

Some of the stuff will need to be cooked by me because we asked for items for the grill-- marinated steaks and fish, specialty burgers and that kind of stuff.

My wife and I would never be wasteful with money. We crunched the numbers and the cost of this ~should~ be less than we'd spend on dinner-related grocery items on a weekly basis. Just the same, I feel like I've joined the affluent! :argue:

while it sounds cool, i have a hard time believing you're actually saving money doing this over buying groceries yourself and cooking.

while it sounds cool, i have a hard time believing you're actually saving money doing this over buying groceries yourself and cooking.

I had trouble believing it myself. I left the numbers up to the wife, though. She's a controller for a manufacturing plant of a gigantic company. If she says she figured it, then she figured it. Besides, when I'm at home or outside of work, I just don't have the gumption to negotiate-- I do too much of it at the office.

I had trouble believing it myself. I left the numbers up to the wife, though. She's a controller for a manufacturing plant of a gigantic company. If she says she figured it, then she figured it. Besides, when I'm at home or outside of work, I just don't have the gumption to negotiate-- I do too much of it at the office.

Because we all know our wives would not fudge the numbers so they would not need to cook, right? :mad:

If her calculations are true, my wife must not find out about this service! :ninja:

Swap meet? :ninja:

Because we all know our wives would not fudge the numbers so they would not need to cook, right? :lol:

If her calculations are true, my wife must not find out about this service! :doublethumbsup:

I did most of the cooking, so if she fudged it means she didn't like my cooking! :banana:

Also, I just found out a wrinkle of the plan-- the meals aren't delivered. We pick them up once a week.

I did most of the cooking, so if she fudged it means she didn't like my cooking! :banana:

Also, I just found out a wrinkle of the plan-- the meals aren't delivered. We pick them up once a week.

Did she factor in the newly found gasoline charges for said pickup service? :doublethumbsup:

My wife loves to cook so she would never go for that. Interesting idea for double working parents, or if neither spouse likes to cook. Allows the quality family dinner time at home (like in my house, watching Sponge Bob or Fairly Oddparents). GL. :doublethumbsup:

How much does this set you back per week?

Uhhhh...not to incur any who-wears-the-pants jokes, but I don't exactly remember and my wife paid the first month, so...

We had options that were like $44/wk and $33/wk. I don't know which one we went with.

My wife loves to cook so she would never go for that. Interesting idea for double working parents, or if neither spouse likes to cook. Allows the quality family dinner time at home (like in my house, watching Sponge Bob or Fairly Oddparents). GL. :thumbsup:

I also love to cook, but evenings are pretty full and the prep and clean up is what sold me on this deal. I'll still cook some since we only get 4 meals per week.

We had options that were like $44/wk and $33/wk.

Pre-cooked meals for $4.13 each? Something smells fishy here.....

Pre-cooked meals for $4.13 each? Something smells fishy here.....

I dunno. I guess if you're breaking down the price per person it comes to that. Bear in mind these aren't 3 course meals. Its just main entrees.

I think this is kind of sad.

I'd like to think cooking is a means of family bonding, plus no way is what you're doing saving money.

:rolleyes:

I think this is kind of sad.

I'd like to think cooking is a means of family bonding,

;)

I thought of this as well. I love to cook, and I love trying new receipes. It's cheaper for me to make this stuff, whether or not the fam. ends up liking it.

I can totally see how it would work for prep and clean up and all of that, but that's part of the culinary experience, to me.

GL, MLCKAA!!! Let us know how you guys end up liking it!

I thought of this as well. I love to cook, and I love trying new receipes. It's cheaper for me to make this stuff, whether or not the fam. ends up liking it.

I can totally see how it would work for prep and clean up and all of that, but that's part of the culinary experience, to me.

GL, MLCKAA!!! Let us know how you guys end up liking it!

A few months ago, my 4-year-old came up to me and said, "DAD, I WANT A STEAK!!!"

I have no idea where he got that from.

So that Saturday, I took him to the store, where he picked out his own steak. We prepared it together and cooked it together.

It was awesome, like a right of passage or something.

PHOTO

A few months ago, my 4-year-old came up to me and said, "DAD, I WANT A STEAK!!!"

So that Saturday, I took him to the store, where he picked out his own steak. We prepared it together and cooked it together.

PHOTO

What kind of steak??

How do you prepare a steak?

Extreme, charring heat and lots of ketchup.

Next time let him pick up a porter

Open steak

Put on grill

;)

PHOTO

OMG, that is so cute! My son, who will be four in August, also likes to help cook. He likes to add the butter/milk to the mac and cheese, and will help out with other stuff occassionally.

You can have premade meals and go out to eat but there is nothing like a home cooked meal.

Cooking is my stress relief.

please stop teaching your little boys to cook and teach them that the kitchen is mommy's place to get to work

living room w/tv remote + beer is where the men belong

PHOTO

looks like you are forcing the poor kid :banana:

What they haven't figured out yet is that they'll be having spaghetti two days a week and hot dogs two days a week.

That's the first step...the next will be "DAD, I WANT A CAR!!!"

PHOTO

Do you mean it was a "rite" of passage? I thought you were an editor!!

Anyway, you and TNG are talking about 4 yr old kids. My two year old isn't a whiz in the kitchen just yet.

PHOTO

PS-- it looks like there is a tipped over bottle of tequila on the counter!

please stop teaching your little boys to cook and teach them that the kitchen is mommy's place to get to work

living room w/tv remote + beer is where the men belong

a real man preps his meat for the grill!

Rusty- your little guy is so cute.

Glad to see you two cooking together. You're creating memories to last a lifetime.

:banana: