Sign in to follow this  
Tarheel Boy

***Official NBA Finals Game 1 Thread***

For the Mavs fans it's been a long time coming for this moment. It's still 24 hours away from tip off, but I can't wait. Should be a great series and I will be enjoying the game in Orlando tomorrow night.

Go Mavs!!!

:unsure:

jesus, didn't the conference finals end like a month ago? start it already.

this is worse than the stupid shiat they did in round 1 where teams had 3 days off in between certain games.

Mavs should be favored, but I think both teams have a good shot at it. Shaq and Wade will need to be near perfect and Toine would have to have 4 big games for the Heat to win. But that could happen. J-Will is the wild card.

jesus, didn't the conference finals end like a month ago? start it already.

this is worse than the stupid shiat they did in round 1 where teams had 3 days off in between certain games.

I agree this has been too long of a wait. Imagine if both series would have ended in 5 games. The NBA finals weren't going to start before June 8 regardless of the outcomes of any series. Pathetic...

Mavs should be favored, but I think both teams have a good shot at it. Shaq and Wade will need to be near perfect and Toine would have to have 4 big games for the Heat to win. But that could happen. J-Will is the wild card.

Well, Shaq will have monster games each game regardless of who's on him. The dude's on a mission... If Howard can somehow contain Wade when he's guarding him then that will be huge. I think Haslem is the X factor. If he plays like he did against Detroit that makes Miami very scary. Dallas needs to win both games at home and that's going to be very difficult. If they do happen to slip up and lose a game I hope it's game 2 and not Game 1. I don't want to see the Mavs down in the series early like they were against Phoenix.

Well, Shaq will have monster games each game regardless of who's on him.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Shaq will undoubtedly have big games but I don't see it happening every game. Generally, in the playoffs he's been tired every other game. He couldn't even put up consistently good numbers against Chicago or NJ, teams with no real big men. It may not matter if Wade plays as he has been, and I have no idea who is going to win this series, but Shaq is getting to the age that he can't consistently bring it night after night, especially with only a day between games.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Shaq will undoubtedly have big games but I don't see it happening every game. Generally, in the playoffs he's been tired every other game. He couldn't even put up consistently good numbers against Chicago or NJ, teams with no real big men. It may not matter if Wade plays as he has been, and I have no idea who is going to win this series, but Shaq is getting to the age that he can't consistently bring it night after night, especially with only a day between games.

The reason why I think this is he loves to play against Dallas, Dampier has to be out of game shape and even if he was in game shape Shaq loves to biotch slap him, Diop will probably get in some foul trouble because of lack of experience, etc. Van Suckass will be a complete non factor on him on the defensive end and the only possible use for Keith Van Suckass is if he can hit perimeter shots and force Shaq outside. I think Shaq will be ready for the ultimate big stage and his play in the Eastern Conference finals has me pretty worried.

:) At least Strike's consistent in his Shaq-hatred (read my sig):

:) At least Strike's consistent in his Shaq-hatred (read my sig):

Not so much hatred, just evaluation of his talent. And I've been right. He averaged the highest number of fouls of his career this year, in the regular season and the playoffs. He's clearly lost a step. He's been totally inconsistent in the playoffs. Look at the numbers. He has trouble bringing it every game. You can be a heat fan and root for you team all you want but you can't deny those facts. Wade has been GREAT, and that's why they are where they are.

Not so much hatred, just evaluation of his talent. And I've been right. He averaged the highest number of fouls of his career this year, in the regular season and the playoffs. He's clearly lost a step. He's been totally inconsistent in the playoffs. Look at the numbers. He has trouble bringing it every game. You can be a heat fan and root for you team all you want but you can't deny those facts. Wade has been GREAT, and that's why they are where they are.

Did you not say on March 28th of this year that the Heat would never make it to the NBA Finals with Shaq?

Are you saying Shaq's 28 points, 16 boards and five blocks in Game 6 had nothing to do with the Heat's victory?

I'd love to see how you explain away these facts.

Did you not say on March 23rd of this year that Shaq would never lead the Heat to the NBA Finals?

I made a prediction, and if you want I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Clearly, the meaning of the statement was that I didn't believe he'd make the finals again. I believe that if Larry Brown were still in Detroit that would still be the case, but in any event he made it. I can admit I made a wrong prediction. However, if you think Shaq "led" them and that it wasn't Wade you're mistaken.

Are you saying Shaq's 28 points, 16 boards and five blocks in Game 6 had nothing to do with the Heat's victory?

Huh, how do you get that? I never said he isn't effective, sometimes. He has his good games. He also has some pretty bad ones nowadays, doesn't he?

I made a prediction, and if you want I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Clearly, the meaning of the statement was that I didn't believe he'd make the finals again. I believe that if Larry Brown were still in Detroit that would still be the case, but in any event he made it. I can admit I made a wrong prediction. However, if you think Shaq "led" them and that it wasn't Wade you're mistaken.

No skin off my behind whether you admit you are right or wrong. If you want to keep thinking Shaq had little or nothing to do with the Heat making it to the NBA Finals, so be it.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy every minute of the series and I'll be very happy the Heat has Shaq AND Wade. Even if the Mavs go 4 - 0, it'll still be worth it for this Heat fan.

No skin off my behind whether you admit you are right or wrong. If you want to keep thinking Shaq had little or nothing to do with the Heat making it to the NBA Finals, so be it.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy every minute of the series and I'll be very happy the Heat has Shaq AND Wade. Even if the Mavs go 4 - 0, it'll still be worth it for this Heat fan.

You should cherish the experience. Nothing like your team making the finals, in any sport. Good luck, even though I'll be rooting for the Mavs :ninja:

You should cherish the experience. Nothing like your team making the finals, in any sport. Good luck, even though I'll be rooting for the Mavs :ninja:

Nice try, sonny boy ;)

And yes, I'll enjoy every minute of the Heat's run, even if they lose.

GO HEAT!!

:ninja: :clap: ;) :clap:

J-Will is the wild card.

Please tell me Miami fans are counting on J-Will to be the difference. Puuleeeeaze! :ninja:

Stackhouse has to play a huge part off the bench, but Daniels must provide positive results as well. I think Griffin will see quite a bit of playing time as well as I think he might guard Wade a little. The only thing that worries me about that is Wade is much too quick. The good thing about the depth of the Mavs bench is they can throw a lot of bodies out there to guard Wade. They can't let Walker get hot from the outside or they could be in trouble. There are a lot of little things the Mavs need to do to win this series. In a way this reminds me a lot of the San Antonio series. The big difference is the Mavs have homecourt, although the fans suck in general at the games and never get into it until they need to.

As a die hard NBA fan I'm really looking forward to the Finals. Dallas may be better equipped than just about any team in the league when it comes to young, rangy athletes to run at Wade. Unfortunately, they're woefully weak inside. Yes, Shaq is older and not the player he was a few years ago, but he's probably in better shape than he has been in 3 seasons. He'll have his way with Diop, Dampier and (shudder...be afraid, be very afraid) Van Horn. You can't risk putting Dirk anywhere near him for fear of foul trouble, so Shaq shouldn't pick up fouls trying to show vs Nowitzki on the pick & roll.

Dallas will need to revert to the approach they took vs the Spurs, forcing tempo from a team that doesn't want to run. To an extent, this goes away from what they do best: get the ball to their best player in the half court offense. But I think they'll have to make the Heat run, at least in spurts, to take away Shaq's inside dominance.

The styles are intriguing, and the Mavs have the home court. But Dallas is going to have to rely on some very young guys like Harris, along with Terry who is still more of a 2 than a 1, to decide when to run and when to pull it back. Miami is no great shakes at PG either, but the much maligned Williams has developed into a fairly good decision maker at this stage in his career. He can be exploited on the defensive end but, again, the Mavs have to count on Harris & Terry to take advantage of him. One has the size that bothers Williams but not the savvy, while Terry isn't physical enough. Funny that the championship series comes down to two teams, neither of which is strong at the position that most think leads to championships: the point.

Two big time stars for Miami vs one for Dallas. Add in Walker, who has been very effective in this post-season, with Williams and the underated Posey, and I'll take the Heat's experience to hide their deficiencies better than the Mavs. Miami in 6.

Heat in 6.

I just hope Shaq can play the game, and isn't hampered with foul trouble, cause he is still a incredible force out there when not having to alter his approach on both ends cause of early fouls.

really hard for me to root for either team, what with cuban on one side and uh-huh and curlynight on the other :banana:

not a huge bb fan anyway. doubt i'll catch any of the games.

As a die hard NBA fan I'm really looking forward to the Finals. Dallas may be better equipped than just about any team in the league when it comes to young, rangy athletes to run at Wade. Unfortunately, they're woefully weak inside. Yes, Shaq is older and not the player he was a few years ago, but he's probably in better shape than he has been in 3 seasons. He'll have his way with Diop, Dampier and (shudder...be afraid, be very afraid) Van Horn. You can't risk putting Dirk anywhere near him for fear of foul trouble, so Shaq shouldn't pick up fouls trying to show vs Nowitzki on the pick & roll.

Dallas will need to revert to the approach they took vs the Spurs, forcing tempo from a team that doesn't want to run. To an extent, this goes away from what they do best: get the ball to their best player in the half court offense. But I think they'll have to make the Heat run, at least in spurts, to take away Shaq's inside dominance.

The styles are intriguing, and the Mavs have the home court. But Dallas is going to have to rely on some very young guys like Harris, along with Terry who is still more of a 2 than a 1, to decide when to run and when to pull it back. Miami is no great shakes at PG either, but the much maligned Williams has developed into a fairly good decision maker at this stage in his career. He can be exploited on the defensive end but, again, the Mavs have to count on Harris & Terry to take advantage of him. One has the size that bothers Williams but not the savvy, while Terry isn't physical enough. Funny that the championship series comes down to two teams, neither of which is strong at the position that most think leads to championships: the point.

Two big time stars for Miami vs one for Dallas. Add in Walker, who has been very effective in this post-season, with Williams and the underated Posey, and I'll take the Heat's experience to hide their deficiencies better than the Mavs. Miami in 6.

Damn, is there anything in this analysis that has been true in the first two games?

GO HEAT!!!

:shocking: :lol: :huh: :banana:

(who cares if they are :bench: )

Are you going to any of the 3 games coming up?

Go Mavs. 2-0 and looking good. No rings for Shaq's dingleberries.