Sign in to follow this  
tampa_fan_01

Roy Williams...

I was reading Kilroy's steppin up thread, and he said something about Roy Williams. I own him in a few leagues, and I am a HUGE fan, but I see him being really good this year. I see him being top 10-15 in Martz system. Kitna should be able to get him the ball more consistanly, and the one thing that slowed him down last year was injuries...

Does anyone else think he is in for a breakout season this year? Cause I sure do...

1200 yards 10 tds?

I was reading Kilroy's steppin up thread, and he said something about Roy Williams. I own him in a few leagues, and I am a HUGE fan, but I see him being really good this year. I see him being top 10-15 in Martz system. Kitna should be able to get him the ball more consistanly, and the one thing that slowed him down last year was injuries...

Does anyone else think he is in for a breakout season this year? Cause I sure do...

1200 yards 10 tds?

if he stays healthy. that's the key. if he does, he will certainly put up top-10 numbers with a chance for more. while the media has picked up on the negative stories about mike and charles, the word this spring out of detroit is that roy is looking studly. martz is drooling.

but, again, health will be the key. keep in mind he has 16 tds already in about 16 games started.

Yeah he can certainly score. I totally see him being a monster there. He makes those grabs that make your eyes pop out of your head. But that was his thing at Texas too, he had hammy problems and ankle problems his jr year.... I love hearin' from you Swamp, I am a lions fan from Austin, TX... so keep me informed!

you're dreaming. sorry.

No way, no how. Lions have not given an upgrade to either the running game or their qb's. It will be McCown and Kitna rotation all year and Roy Williams will suffer as a result.

With the exception of a great performance once or twice this year, you can expect about the same as last season:

800 yds 7-9 TD's

I am a Williams owner in 2 leagues myself ok so I know where coming from.

I would rather have Santana Moss or Hines Ward over RW.

Yeah he can certainly score. I totally see him being a monster there. He makes those grabs that make your eyes pop out of your head. But that was his thing at Texas too, he had hammy problems and ankle problems his jr year.... I love hearin' from you Swamp, I am a lions fan from Austin, TX... so keep me informed!

there's a new focus on conditioning and being in shape with martz, so i'm hoping that will help roy with some of the nagging stuff he's had the past couple of years.

you're dreaming. sorry.

No way, no how. Lions have not given an upgrade to either the running game or their qb's. It will be McCown and Kitna rotation all year and Roy Williams will suffer as a result.

With the exception of a great performance once or twice this year, you can expect about the same as last season:

800 yds 7-9 TD's

i could see where you're coming from if you're banking on him getting hurt and missing significant time this year, but other than that your prediction is completely illogical. the guy is entering year 3 and martz is his coach this year. anything short of a broken leg and he should easily--easily--surpass his totals of the first two years.

there's a new focus on conditioning and being in shape with martz, so i'm hoping that will help roy with some of the nagging stuff he's had the past couple of years.

i could see where you're coming from if you're banking on him getting hurt and missing significant time this year, but other than that your prediction is completely illogical. the guy is entering year 3 and martz is his coach this year. anything short of a broken leg and he should easily--easily--surpass his totals of the first two years.

I agree to an extent. Roy Williams on another team would prob. be an elite WR. Although, he is a Lion and I just don't see it. I know I know...Marinelli, Martz....new attitude, I still feel he will not crack 1000 yds and 10td's but hey, what do I know (nada)

Its cool, I really dont see him preforming under what he did last year, but the ceiling is going to be pretty high!

1200 yards 10 tds?

:mad:

if he stays healthy. that's the key. if he does, he will certainly put up top-10 numbers with a chance for more. while the media has picked up on the negative stories about mike and charles, the word this spring out of detroit is that roy is looking studly. martz is drooling.

but, again, health will be the key. keep in mind he has 16 tds already in about 16 games started.

Let's not forget the sulking and feeling sorry for himself "extending" his injuries at times. If he can get over that and get his head right he could be one of the best. The guy is capable of dominating a game like T.O. I've seen him make circus catches and then shed tacklers like they were small boys. He could be dominant. I think Martz as his coach could straighten him out. Martz is a highly regarded offensive mind and hopefully Roy realizes that Martz could make him a very rich star in this game.

1200 and 10 is very possible with the new coaches, and I don't see the QB situation keeping him from good numbers.

you're dreaming. sorry.

800 yds 7-9 TD's

uh, here's a stat line from another WR who was in his 3rd year, with Kitna throwing him the rock all year:

90 1355 15.1 10

but i guess Kitna can't get it done enough for a WR to have good stats under him...

brilliant, unsupported statement... :rolleyes:

I agree to an extent. Roy Williams on another team would prob. be an elite WR. Although, he is a Lion and I just don't see it. I know I know...Marinelli, Martz....new attitude, I still feel he will not crack 1000 yds and 10td's but hey, what do I know (nada)

he's put up 8 tds in each of the past 2 years w/ Joey & Jeff throwing him the rock, and an all-around poor situation. Everyone in that offense is a year older, and the new coaching staff and a proven QB should easily put him back to those numbers as his floor. 10 tds is not out of the question at all...

yeah, nice logic. the lions have never ever had 1000 yard/double-digit wrs before. :rolleyes:

and yet you own him in two leagues?! something's weird with your thought process. if you think he's doomed, dump his azz. i guarantee you someone in your league will overpay for him because they think he will blow up this year.

you badmouth him and pronounce gloom and doom for him...yet you hang onto him. makes no sense whatsoever. none. nada. zip.

God, I hope he does well. Traded for him in a keeper league last year and ended up getting raped in the trade. But if he performs top 10 this year I'll be happy.

you're dreaming. sorry.

Are you Sh***ng me? Kitna is a 22-27 TD veteran QB when being a full-time starter like he is in Detroit. Harrington was the worse starting QB in the league last season, and Detroit has "monumentally upgraded" their starting QB position this season.

He's an all world talent. No doubt about it. Yet, his attitude has been very questionable. If between the ears catches up with the physical skills than the sky is the limit. The tough part is it's almost impossible to know if that will occur. I'm sorry but I'm not buying fluff pieces on ROY or any other guy that says he now gets it. That type of story gets told non-stop all offseason about a multitude of guys. It's real easy to have a great attitude before the bullets start flying. Therefore you have to roll the dice a little on this guy. Do you pass on some more stable players and jump on ROY's huge upside or do you let someone else take the risk? He's definetly a guy that's on my radar screen but right now I'm still up in the air as to how high a pick I'd use on him. My gut is he'll go reasonably high in most drafts because he's so intriguing so this is a guy you really have to do some soul searching on.

This is his year for sure. He is in his third year. Martz throws more than the Mooch. He has to improve his numbers. I would not be shocked to see 1300 yds and 10-12 TD's.

We also need to remember that Chad Johnson had his breakout fantasy season with Kitna as his starting QB.

I think Williams will more than likely finish at or near top ten but I will not take him as my first WR simply because there are still too many risks with that team. If Kitna goes down I don't see a viable back up QB and the entire WR corps (at least the 1st rounders) seem to have personal issues.

i'd like to hear the logic from whomever did the projections for this site that has roy getting only 6 tds this year. um, he had 8 as a rookie and 8 last year in the most putrid offense ever devised by man.

so...him entering year 3 and adding martz as his coach...means he's going to have 2 LESS tds this year than his first two years?

i know it's the easy route to simply dismiss lion players completely...but have some vision and guts.

:mellow: :blink: :blink:

Are you Sh***ng me? Kitna is a 22-27 TD veteran QB when being a full-time starter like he is in Detroit. Harrington was the worse starting QB in the league last season, and Detroit has "monumentally upgraded" their starting QB position this season.

:doublethumbsup:

i am excited about Rogers and the other Williams cause of Kitna which probably give you some insight on how i think Roy will do

Roy will be a very good this season. With Martz as the oc if the Lions are down 7-0 going into the 2nd quarter I'm thinking pass, pass, pass.

Roy will be a very good this season. With Martz as the oc if the Lions are down 7-0 going into the 2nd quarter I'm thinking pass, pass, pass.

yea martz will just pass the ball down the field as much as he can. roy is bound to have atleast a decent season with all the throwing done in martz's offense.

Martz is smart enough to realize potential and adjust his offense to fit some of the personel's strengths. If Roy can't do it under Martz, then he can't get it done.

Martz is smart enough to realize potential and adjust his offense to fit some of the personel's strengths. If Roy can't do it under Martz, then he can't get it done.

:doublethumbsup: yup. as long as he's healthy, he's got his best shot right now...

im high on roy this year...with kitna now lions QB, i have a feeling roy will be his favorite receiver....i would love to draft him as my #2 WR...one can hope

Roy is the only Lion worth starting this year. His ability to stay healthy is the biggest concern. Monitor his attitude and how he deals with knicks and he could be a nice WR2. If we start to see the mental errors and the nagging ailments like last year, then proceed with caution.

Roy is the only Lion worth starting this year. His ability to stay healthy is the biggest concern. Monitor his attitude and how he deals with knicks and he could be a nice WR2. If we start to see the mental errors and the nagging ailments like last year, then proceed with caution.

which is one more player than the bears have worth starting :rolleyes:

Whoops, I posted a link earlier and it appears to have been a mix-up. Here is the link to a crazy Roy Williams catch from spring training. The quality is bad, but the catch is amazing.

ROY!!!!

Whoops, I posted a link earlier and it appears to have been a mix-up. Here is the link to a crazy Roy Williams catch from spring training. The quality is bad, but the catch is amazing.

ROY!!!!

SICK!

Anyone who thinks Kitna is a significant upgrade over Joey needs to take off the rose-tinted glasses. As a Bengals homer I can tell you that while he is a great mentor and off-the-field leader, he does not have the tools to be a good QB in the NFL. He has zero arm strength, is inconsistent, and has horrible judgement when pressured.

Maybe Martz can coach the judgement aspects, but I think his lack of physical tools will be an extremely limiting factor. Roy and the other WRs won't be able to go deep, and Martz will have a more difficult time coming up with an innovative offensive scheme as a result.

which is one more player than the bears have worth starting :rolleyes:

The Bears are a real football team rather than one built for FF. That said, whoever does win the starting job at RB will be a FF starter and the D is #1 on everyone's list. That is 2-1 for Da Bears over da Liedowns by my count. Nice try though ...

:banana:

Anyone who thinks Kitna is a significant upgrade over Joey needs to take off the rose-tinted glasses. As a Bengals homer I can tell you that while he is a great mentor and off-the-field leader, he does not have the tools to be a good QB in the NFL. He has zero arm strength, is inconsistent, and has horrible judgement when pressured.

Maybe Martz can coach the judgement aspects, but I think his lack of physical tools will be an extremely limiting factor. Roy and the other WRs won't be able to go deep, and Martz will have a more difficult time coming up with an innovative offensive scheme as a result.

that has to be the least informed opinion i have read in a long time - especially considering you say you are a Bengals homer... Did you even watch him play there or in Seattle? do you even know his stat-line from the years he was a starter on a 9-7 & 6-10 SEA team? or on a 6-10, 2-14, 8-8 Bengals team?

| 1999 sea | 15 | 270 495 54.5 3346 6.8 23 16 | 35 56 0 |

| 2000 sea | 15 | 259 418 62.0 2658 6.4 18 19 | 48 127 1 |

| 2001 cin | 16 | 313 581 53.9 3216 5.5 12 22 | 27 73 1 |

| 2002 cin | 14 | 294 473 62.2 3178 6.7 16 16 | 24 57 4 |

| 2003 cin | 16 | 324 520 62.3 3591 6.9 26 15 | 38 113 0 |

these are stats he put up while playing for a HORRIBLE Bengals team (which you should remember) and a less-than spectacular SEA team.

now lets compare that to Joey:

| 2002 det | 14 | 215 429 50.1 2294 5.3 12 16 | 7 4 0 |

| 2003 det | 16 | 309 554 55.8 2880 5.2 17 22 | 30 86 0 |

| 2004 det | 16 | 274 489 56.0 3047 6.2 19 12 | 48 175 0 |

| 2005 det | 13 | 188 330 57.0 2021 6.1 12 12 | 24 80 0 |

Joey avg. less than 250 completions a year, and around 2500 yds per year - never throwing more than 20TDs.

Now, i am a Joey fan, and i think he was just put in a horrible situation, but he is RUINED mentally on that team.

Kitna is a guy w/ enough poise in the pocket to get the ball to the safety-valve's hands (not feet) - this alone is an upgrade over Joey

Kitna's also a guy who's thrown more than 20TDs in a year - something Joey hasn't done yet.

Kitna has played under competent coaches and has received good mentoring from them - can you say that about Joey's teaching from Marty or Mooch?

Kitna's team records may not be impressive, and he definitely doesn't have all-star stats, but he has HUGE intangibles that Joey can not bring to the Lions anymore. He was brought in there to die, and that's what he did. Joey potentially could still have the skills to be a good NFL QB, but it had ZERO chance of happening in DET. They needed new blood that knew what it took on the field w/o it having to be taught by the coaching staff - and that's exactly what Kitna brings...

I think Williams will more than likely finish at or near top ten but I will not take him as my first WR simply because there are still too many risks with that team. If Kitna goes down I don't see a viable back up QB and the entire WR corps (at least the 1st rounders) seem to have personal issues.

I don't know how you dont see a viable backup in Josh McNown. Kid does actually have a good arm and put up some solid 300+ games in AZ while flip flopping with Warner. Fitz and Boldin were monsters when McNown was slinging it to them, and I've got even more confidence if McNown came in under Martz. In fact, I'm actually rooting FOR Kitna to lose the starting job...Yes the WRs corps has issues but I think that can be taken care of.

I don't know how you dont see a viable backup in Josh McNown. Kid does actually have a good arm and put up some solid 300+ games in AZ while flip flopping with Warner. Fitz and Boldin were monsters when McNown was slinging it to them, and I've got even more confidence if McNown came in under Martz. In fact, I'm actually rooting FOR Kitna to lose the starting job...Yes the WRs corps has issues but I think that can be taken care of.

i understand how McCown (not to be confused w/ McNown) had some good games in ARZ, but there is a reason he flip-flopped w/ the broken thumbed Warner... It's actually speculated he'll wind up holding the clipboard on the DET sideline and Orlovsky will be the #2...

i understand how McCown (not to be confused w/ McNown) had some good games in ARZ, but there is a reason he flip-flopped w/ the broken thumbed Warner... It's actually speculated he'll wind up holding the clipboard on the DET sideline and Orlovsky will be the #2...

Thought I had that name wrong....I was like wait that doesnt soundddd right....anyways..

Thats a big shock to me that Orlovsky would be the #2. McCowns decision making was a little questionable IMO, but so is Kitnas....I just think that McCown has the physical tools to make that team better than what Kitna brings to the table. Yes Kitna is a smart QB and has more experience under his belt and I think he'll do just fine, but I could see McCown doing the same, if not more...

Thought I had that name wrong....I was like wait that doesnt soundddd right....anyways..

Thats a big shock to me that Orlovsky would be the #2. McCowns decision making was a little questionable IMO, but so is Kitnas....I just think that McCown has the physical tools to make that team better than what Kitna brings to the table. Yes Kitna is a smart QB and has more experience under his belt and I think he'll do just fine, but I could see McCown doing the same, if not more...

the early scuttlebutt seems to be that kitna has the "leader" going much more than mccown.

that has to be the least informed opinion i have read in a long time - especially considering you say you are a Bengals homer... Did you even watch him play there or in Seattle? do you even know his stat-line from the years he was a starter on a 9-7 & 6-10 SEA team? or on a 6-10, 2-14, 8-8 Bengals team?

| 1999 sea | 15 | 270 495 54.5 3346 6.8 23 16 | 35 56 0 |

| 2000 sea | 15 | 259 418 62.0 2658 6.4 18 19 | 48 127 1 |

| 2001 cin | 16 | 313 581 53.9 3216 5.5 12 22 | 27 73 1 |

| 2002 cin | 14 | 294 473 62.2 3178 6.7 16 16 | 24 57 4 |

| 2003 cin | 16 | 324 520 62.3 3591 6.9 26 15 | 38 113 0 |

these are stats he put up while playing for a HORRIBLE Bengals team (which you should remember) and a less-than spectacular SEA team.

now lets compare that to Joey:

| 2002 det | 14 | 215 429 50.1 2294 5.3 12 16 | 7 4 0 |

| 2003 det | 16 | 309 554 55.8 2880 5.2 17 22 | 30 86 0 |

| 2004 det | 16 | 274 489 56.0 3047 6.2 19 12 | 48 175 0 |

| 2005 det | 13 | 188 330 57.0 2021 6.1 12 12 | 24 80 0 |

Joey avg. less than 250 completions a year, and around 2500 yds per year - never throwing more than 20TDs.

Now, i am a Joey fan, and i think he was just put in a horrible situation, but he is RUINED mentally on that team.

Kitna is a guy w/ enough poise in the pocket to get the ball to the safety-valve's hands (not feet) - this alone is an upgrade over Joey

Kitna's also a guy who's thrown more than 20TDs in a year - something Joey hasn't done yet.

Kitna has played under competent coaches and has received good mentoring from them - can you say that about Joey's teaching from Marty or Mooch?

Kitna's team records may not be impressive, and he definitely doesn't have all-star stats, but he has HUGE intangibles that Joey can not bring to the Lions anymore. He was brought in there to die, and that's what he did. Joey potentially could still have the skills to be a good NFL QB, but it had ZERO chance of happening in DET. They needed new blood that knew what it took on the field w/o it having to be taught by the coaching staff - and that's exactly what Kitna brings...

Saying that Kitna has poise in the pocket is by far the most assinine thing I have ever read here. I've watched nearly every game since he was in a Bengals uniform. Every time an opposing D brings pressure, he starts making extremely poor decisions, constantly forcing balls into coverage, fumbling, you name it. His throws beyond 15 yards hang out there like he's flying a kite. You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

Saying that Kitna has poise in the pocket is by far the most assinine thing I have ever read here. I've watched nearly every game since he was in a Bengals uniform. Every time an opposing D brings pressure, he starts making extremely poor decisions, constantly forcing balls into coverage, fumbling, you name it. His throws beyond 15 yards hang out there like he's flying a kite. You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

so your assinine opinion is that Joey Harrington would be a better QB for the Lions this year than John Kitna? Is that really what your idiotic opinion is?

If you want to start throwing out insults, you're a complete focking idiot who must have been watching the games from his knees with some other dude's schlong in his mouth if that is what your stance is...