Sign in to follow this  
hoffdaddy

Al Harris considering hold out

Nice to see him play the "I got a family" card. :first:

Supposedly, he's not happy about Kampan's contract.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=439052

Harris reverses field

He changes stance on reporting to camp

By ROB REISCHEL

Special to the Journal Sentinel

Posted: June 20, 2006

Green Bay cornerback Al Harris, who has boycotted the Packers' voluntary practices this month over unhappiness with his contract, said Tuesday night that he might not report for the start of training camp July 28.

"It's not 100%, that's for sure," Harris said from his home in Coral Springs, Fla. "I'd like to come and do my job, but everyone's got to be fair, too. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out."

Harris' comments were in direct contrast to those made last month by both him and his agent, Jack Bechta.

The Packers' 14 practices in June have been voluntary but training camp is anything but. And up until this point, the Harris camp said he wouldn't miss anything that was mandatory.

Tuesday night, though, Harris was singing a different tune.

"I've got to do what's best for me and my family," said Harris, who turns 32 in December. "And now we're on the clock. I'm not getting any younger, so I have to take a business approach to it."

a signing like woodson's doesn't occur in a vaccuum. did you think the rest of the packer team wouldn't notice that contract?

a signing like woodson's doesn't occur in a vaccuum. did you think the rest of the packer team wouldn't notice that contract?

That doesn't appear to be the issue. This article makes it sound like he wasn't happy about Kampan's deal.

Also, you're right it doesn't occur in a vaccuum. That's why guys like Harris need to be smart enough to actually look at the focking deal. Woodson got a big base salary and no signing bonus. Why? Because the Packers have a ton of cap room this season and could do that. When Harris signed his deal, that was not the case at all.

That doesn't appear to be the issue. This article makes it sound like he wasn't happy about Kampan's deal.

Also, you're right it doesn't occur in a vaccuum. That's why guys like Harris need to be smart enough to actually look at the focking deal. Woodson got a big base salary and no signing bonus. Why? Because the Packers have a ton of cap room this season and could do that. When Harris signed his deal, that was not the case at all.

all teams face this. the nfl is a "me" business. the two things that get it going: 1) team success (as the bears are finding out this summer--even after only one decent year) 2) big-contract free agent signings/re-signings on a club that triggers the "hey, what about me" hand holding-outs from their teammates (like in this case).

all teams face this. the nfl is a "me" business. the two things that get it going: 1) team success (as the bears are finding out this summer--even after only one decent year) 2) big-contract free agent signings/re-signings on a club that triggers the "hey, what about me" hand holding-outs from their teammates (like in this case).

I know, but we've had our share of this the last few years in Wisconsin. I hope Thompson can work this one out better. A Harris/Woodson combo looks very nice to me.

It's always something when your team's record falls. Hariis does have to get while the getting's good. However, I also believe he really wants to play with Woodson and do some good things on the field. Unfortunately, I thought he already got the "big contract" that should have been given to Mike McKenzie. Ah, yeah...

not my words, but those of a talking head at sportingnews on the woodson signing. i guess this is a different perspective than yours:

"Packers overpay Charles Woodson. He remains a physical cornerback and a fearless competitor, but Woodson hasn't played a 16-game season since 2001 and coaches in Oakland questioned his commitment. Green Bay's payday -- reportedly $10.5 million in the first year, at least $18 million over three -- was far too much."

not my words, but those of a talking head at sportingnews on the woodson signing. i guess this is a different perspective than yours:

"Packers overpay Charles Woodson. He remains a physical cornerback and a fearless competitor, but Woodson hasn't played a 16-game season since 2001 and coaches in Oakland questioned his commitment. Green Bay's payday -- reportedly $10.5 million in the first year, at least $18 million over three -- was far too much."

Swamp, you know this has been discussed to death. Woodson got a big base salary for essentially one season. If it doesn't work out, he's gone and it has not impact on Green Bay's cap. If he stays, he still doesn't have a big impact on Green Bay's cap. There's a reason he got the deal he did.

They may have overpaid, but it's an extremely cap friendly deal for Green Bay. And he fills a serious need.

Fact is, they gave Harris a nice payday as a reward for not acting like Mike McKenzie. And now he's repaying them by acting like Mike McKenzie.

Typical of today's players. pay me now and forget about the deal we had already. No team is above this - not the Pats, Bears, Pack or anyone. Players want security and money now and if they feel they can get more a year later, then they want more.

Typical of today's players. pay me now and forget about the deal we had already. No team is above this - not the Pats, Bears, Pack or anyone. Players want security and money now and if they feel they can get more a year later, then they want more.

Yup...they are more than happy when they sign the deals...but less than two years later someone gets a better deal and they then think they have been disrespected and then want more.

And being unhappy about Kampman, who got a deal to stay rather than test free agency? That is just too rich.

The guy was rewarded quite nicely for his play less than 2 years ago and already wants more. Should have thought about that when you signed a 6 year extension (which pays him 18 million dollars...7 in bonuses...not all guaranteed).

If he holds out, the same I said about Walker, he will be going about things in a way I cannot condone or even respect.

Yup. For teams like the Eagles, who took a hard line when it came to TO wanting a new deal after one freakin year, there's another team, like the Cowboys, who are willing to roll the dice, pay him what he wants, without worrying about the reprocussions (even though TO would have made more had he stayed in Philly).

Athletes will still seek the sympathy of the fans thru the media, complain about being disrespected, and only wanting to feed their families. :argue:

Boo-freakin'-hoo!

On the flip side, though, is the fact that holding out is the only real bartering chip players and agents have in the NFL. The fact that the guaranteed money is not all there gives ownership the opportunity to screw players one way or the other.

I guess it's the price to pay in professional sports.

even though TO would have made more had he stayed in Philly

ummm, i think he got more to leave. wuzn't he only going to get around 7mill from the eagles this year? he gets 10mill from the cowboys instead...

a three-year, $25 million contract with Dallas on Saturday. The deal includes a $5 million bonus and $5 million salary this season

After his windfall this season, Owens will get salaries of $8 million in 2007 and $7 million in 2008. All told, it's a lot more than he would've made under the contract with Philadelphia that began his bad blood with the organization.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2374189

ummm, i think he got more to leave. wuzn't he only going to get around 7mill from the eagles this year? he gets 10mill from the cowboys instead...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2374189

Umm, considering the money he lost last season, the fines, and the part of his signing bonus the Eagles want back, that is not the case.

Besides, how can you sit there are quote the entire contract when everyone says that it's only a one year contract? ;)

so you're saying the eagles wanted him for the duration of his 7 year 49mill contract? ;) that's why he forced their hand, he knew he wuz never gonna see the bulk of that. now he's getting more cash and is supposedly happy

but you really never know with T.O.

so you're saying the eagles wanted him for the duration of his 7 year 49mill contract? <_< that's why he forced their hand, he knew he wuz never gonna see the bulk of that. now he's getting more cash and is supposedly happy

but you really never know with T.O.

Who said that? Over the course of a 3 year period, when it's all said and done, TO will get less than he would have gotten in Philly. How?

Because he lost money last year. The contract he signed with Dallas gives him more per year, but when it comes to net, he will stand to lose about $2 mil.

No one ever said nor intimated that he would have gotten cut by the Eagles had he stayed a happy camper. If the guy's producing, he's producing.

If he knew he wasn't gonna see the end of his 7 year contract when he initially signed it, why did he sign it (his own damn players association told him not to)?

I see how it goes. TO was a creep when he was in San Fran (when he disrepected the star), a creep in Philly (killing the Cowboys), wearing a Michael Irvin jersey, but now he's loved in Big D (loved the Dwayne Wade jersey at the Mavs' game).

Sell your soul, chief. :banana:

I think you got me all wrong ghost, i didn't like what he did at all. he pulled little b!tch moves and doesn't deserve a raise. I wuz just saying he's going to potentially make more money in the next 3 years (especially this year) than he would of in philly. They could have cut him sometime in that time span as well who knows...The money lost last year isn't important on what his numbers are now, that money is already gone.

Found another article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2374225

Owens' contract could net him record moneyBy Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

The contract that Terrell Owens signed with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday provides him the opportunity to be one of the highest-paid wide receivers in NFL history over a three-year period, and the chance to earn more than he would have under his contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, ESPN.com has learned.

Terrell Owens

Wide Receiver

Philadelphia Eagles

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

47 763 6 16.2 91 337

The three-year contract can be worth as much as $25 million if Owens plays through the deal and Dallas opts to pay him pricey roster bonuses in the springs of 2007 and 2008.

Owens, who was released by the Eagles on Tuesday, will earn a bonus of $5 million for this season and a base salary of $5 million, for total compensation of $10 million. Under his contract with the Eagles, Owens would have earned $8.52 million for 2006.

It should be noted that Owens lost about $4 million in 2005, between the base salary that he forfeited during his suspension and the prorated signing bonus money the Eagles withheld because they claimed he was in default on his contract.

Dallas must pay Owens a roster bonus of $3 million in March 2007 to retain him for that season, at a base salary of $5 million. There is another roster bonus of $3 million due in March 2008, and Owens has a base salary of $4 million for that year.

Under the terms of the seven-year, $49 million contract that Owens signed with Philadelphia after being traded to the Eagles in 2004, he would have earned $20.27 million for the 2006-2008 seasons. So there is the potential, should the contract with the Cowboys remain intact, for Owens to make nearly $5 million more in Dallas than he would have with the Eagles.

Compared to the contracts of other high-profile wide receivers leaguewide, Owens can earn more over a three-year period than Randy Moss of Oakland did with his recent deal, and more over two seasons than Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison did with his new contract signed two years ago.

Of course, as was the case in Philadelphia, Owens' earning potential will be tied to his performance on and off the field. Because of the roster bonus, and the exercise dates of each, the contract in Dallas could be as short as one season. Even at one year, however, the $10 million that Owens will bank is more than some skeptics felt he could garner after his tumultuous 2005 season.

And if Owens is productive, and is not a distraction, the Cowboys seem to have the wherewithal and the future salary cap space to retain him for all three seasons of the contract.

I thought this thread was about Harris but I will chip in with a general comment.

Players who do this don't understand a very simple concept. When you sign your name to a contract, you give your word. Holding out and demanding a new contract means that you are anything but a man. So, don't ever play the Respect card. You deserve none and you are showing that you are not a man and your word means nothing. Any renegotiation should be done behind closed doors.

And the "feed my family" crap is little girl crying when you make millions. More like "feed my Hummer premium."

I hope all NFL teams start to black ball these bitches.

Having read today about what Harris is actually asking for, I say pay the man. He's not out of line, nor is his request unreasonable. Do the right thing Ted Thompson.

I can't find a link online, but here's what Jason Wilde at the Wisconsin State Journal wrote today.

"what Harris wants is a pair of roster bonuses - the first payable next March and the second payable in March 2008 - worth $4 - $5 million and incentive bonuses worth $1.25 to $1.5 million if he makes the pro bowl."

I'll also add that Harris' agent was very clear that this had nothing to do with Charles Woodson's signing.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/index.php?ntid=88588

He also said Harris has no hard feelings about the Packers signing four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson to a seven-year, $39 million contract as a free agent this offseason.

Woodson is expected to start opposite Harris and could earn as much as $10.2 million this year.

"He was actually part of the recruiting process (for Woodson)," Bechta said. "He doesn't want to penalize the Packers for going out and signing a quality guy."

Harris = Tool :thumbsup:

well, look at the bright side: at least he's not throwing the race card out there as the reason he's feeling persecuted.

and he hasn't badmouthed green bay restaurants.

it's all good.

I hope they bench Harris for the entire season.

well, look at the bright side: at least he's not throwing the race card out there as the reason he's feeling persecuted.

and he hasn't badmouthed green bay restaurants.

it's all good.

Give it time.

The more desperate he becomes the more likely he will use the Racism Tool. :unsure: