Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

Detroit Tigers Tracker

This game against Cleveland makes me nervous. Let's hope that the Tigers get some insurance in the 8th.

This game gives me ulcers.

Good riddence to Cleveland. And with Minnesota handling the Sux, the lead goes up to 7.5 (hopefully).

Starting to warm to Jones. He's been a lot better since I've been home.

Sux game is in the books now too. They have all they can handle from the Yankees and Twins now.

Too bad Minny shifted that rotation. Won't be a warm welcome at the Metrodome with Liriano/Santana to greet us.

Too bad Minny shifted that rotation. Won't be a warm welcome at the Metrodome with Liriano/Santana to greet us.

Yeah, read that. Just take the good with the bad. It's just nice we got all those games with them out of the way early when they were cold.

Yeah, read that. Just take the good with the bad. It's just nice we got all those games with them out of the way early when they were cold.

the onus is on the twins to win, not the tigers. the tigers aren't the team 10 games out. the tigers really just need to win 1 game in a twins series: all that work and the twins only pick up a single game in the standings.

the twins have to play almost sweep-type ball against the tigers. the tigers just need to play mediocre and win a game here and there. i'm not suggesting it will be easy--simply that the tigers have a LOT more room for error right now than do the twins.

the twins better pitch liriano every 4th-day until his arms falls off.

the onus is on the twins to win, not the tigers. the tigers aren't the team 10 games out. the tigers really just need to win 1 game in a twins series: all that work and the twins only pick up a single game in the standings.

the twins have to play almost sweep-type ball against the tigers. the tigers just need to play mediocre and win a game here and there. i'm not suggesting it will be easy--simply that the tigers have a LOT more room for error right now than do the twins.

the twins better pitch liriano every 4th-day until his arms falls off.

That was one of the longest and sloppiest 9 inning games you'll ever see. If I see another full count the rest of the week I'm going to :vomit:

Was I the only one who was :wacko: at a lot of Leyland's decisions in this game? Strange stuff. He basically threw the matchup percentages out the window and stuck with Jaime Walker and Rodney about 22 pitches a piece longer than I felt he should of. Yet, even in a real clunker, they find a way to win. :shrugs: :banana:

almost more worried about minny then chi sox.

2 pitchers that are pretty much lights out

Yeah, the idea of Santana/Liriano with that bullpen in a 5/7 game series is nasty. On the other hand, if any 2 of Chicago's other 4 starters (besides Contreras) remember that they are supposed to be good, their offense would make them near untouchable.

almost more worried about minny then chi sox.

2 pitchers that are pretty much lights out

I agree. The Twins and Sox have near identical records but the one has been skyrocketing since May and the other colapsed after the All Star break. I've no doubt that the Twins catch the Sox, maybe even by the time this series is done.

That was one of the longest and sloppiest 9 inning games you'll ever see. If I see another full count the rest of the week I'm going to :vomit:

Was I the only one who was :banana: at a lot of Leyland's decisions in this game? Strange stuff. He basically threw the matchup percentages out the window and stuck with Jaime Walker and Rodney about 22 pitches a piece longer than I felt he should of. Yet, even in a real clunker, they find a way to win. :shrugs: :banana:

couldn't believe he kept rodney in there to face hafner...but leyland's earned the right for me not to criticize him.

Rodney looked bad yesterday, no control. Hopefully it's a one day thing.

couldn't believe he kept rodney in there to face hafner...but leyland's earned the right for me not to criticize him.

He was staring down his sheets of stats and then threw them out the window when decision time came. It was a little unorthodox but as you mentioned, he'll get plenty of latitude from me. Manage from his gut instinct, manage from the focking moon for all I care. Just manage to get em to the playoffs! :(

Rodney looked bad yesterday, no control. Hopefully it's a one day thing.

It has been more of a 6 weeks thing.

June: 5.17 ERA

July: 11.12 ERA heading into last night

Might be time to get a little concerned about a couple of our starters.

Rogers: Not so much the fact he has performed poorly over the last month as that this follows the trend from the past few years of poor performance in the stretch run. Over his past 6 starts after tonight, he has had only one 6 inning outing and has given up 4+ ER in 5 of the 6, with 6 + hits in all 6 starts. 1-0, 5.74 in July (BEFORE tonight's numbers)

Over the past 3 years:

July - 5.62 ERA (before tonight)

August - 4.78

September - 4.62

Robertson: Again, concern is that he is following the same pattern as the past couple years where he plays well in the first half and falls off the map in the second half. 1-3, 5.65 ERA for July.

Over the past 3 years:

Pre All-Star break: 3.74 ERA

Post All-Star break: 5.69

Again, not trying to incite panic among the faithful, just saying there are a couple things to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.

Might be time to get a little concerned about a couple of our starters.

Rogers: Not so much the fact he has performed poorly over the last month as that this follows the trend from the past few years of poor performance in the stretch run. Over his past 6 starts after tonight, he has had only one 6 inning outing and has given up 4+ ER in 5 of the 6, with 6 + hits in all 6 starts. 1-0, 5.74 in July (BEFORE tonight's numbers)

Over the past 3 years:

July - 5.62 ERA (before tonight)

August - 4.78

September - 4.62

Robertson: Again, concern is that he is following the same pattern as the past couple years where he plays well in the first half and falls off the map in the second half. 1-3, 5.65 ERA for July.

Over the past 3 years:

Pre All-Star break: 3.74 ERA

Post All-Star break: 5.69

Again, not trying to incite panic among the faithful, just saying there are a couple things to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.

but you only need two good ones, just ask the twins.

if the twins can win with only two good pitchers, the tigers can, too.

then again, leyland isn't over-throwing verlander and bonderman like kell is doing santana and liriano.

mark my words: liriano's going to break down before the end of september. they're pitching the kid every 4th day and he throws a ton of pitches with all those strikeouts.

i wouldn't be too broken up if dom traded for a front-line pitcher instead of a bat at the deadline.

but you only need two good ones, just ask the twins.

if the twins can win with only two good pitchers, the tigers can, too.

then again, leyland isn't over-throwing verlander and bonderman like kell is doing santana and liriano.

mark my words: liriano's going to break down before the end of september. they're pitching the kid every 4th day and he throws a ton of pitches with all those strikeouts.

i wouldn't be too broken up if dom traded for a front-line pitcher instead of a bat at the deadline.

Neither would I. As far as two pitchers, we still need to see Bonderman perform consistently well in the second half, and Verlander himself is on pace to obliterate his career high for innings pitched, aside from neither having playoff experience. This may cancel out the Twins advantage, but it would make us the underdog against a team like Boston which has more offensive power and two aces who have postseason experience and have proven their ability to pitch into October (not to mention the likely advantage of Papelbon, even as a rookie, against Jones).

the twins are one game back of the white sox <_<

the sox have got to be absolutely crapping themselves right now.

the twins are one game back of the white sox :(

the sox have got to be absolutely crapping themselves right now.

<_< the joys of schadenfreude :dunno:

Twins catch the Sox. As mentioned in a previous thread, how is THIS for insane:

June 10: Twins 11.5 back of Detroit

Twins go 32-7

July 26: Twins 8.5 back of Detroit

Man, if they didn't have the White Sox to catch that would have to be incredibly demoralizing.

Karma alert. Dumbass Tigers pre-game host:

"He (Liriano) isn't exactly Cy Young"

*waits for 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 12 K*

ETA: Ordonez says fock karma.

ETA 2: 8 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 12 K....huh, closer than I expected to be.

miner out-pitched liriano.

wow.

I said this in another post, but I want it to be official recorded in this Tigers thread:

the "best pitcher in baseball" just lost got outdueled by Detroit's third best rookie pitcher. . Ouch. Reminds me of the time Santana struckout 12 Tigers, only to lose 2-0 to another certain Detroit rookie....what's his name? Paging Mr. Young! Paging Mr. Cy Young!

I said this in another post, but I want it to be official recorded in this Tigers thread:

the "best pitcher in baseball" just lost got outdueled by Detroit's third best rookie pitcher. . Ouch. Reminds me of the time Santana struckout 12 Tigers, only to lose 2-0 to another certain Detroit rookie....what's his name? Paging Mr. Young! Paging Mr. Cy Young!

liriano was no slouch yesterday. he had his A game, no question. he had a bad first inning and made a bad pitch to maggs (who was looking for the changeup) and paid the price for it.

Getting a little overboard saying Miner 'outdueled him'. Liriano gave up 2 hits a walk and 2 runs in the first 4 batters. Then he went the next 26 batters giving up 1 hit, 2 walks, and 11 Ks.

Wow, what an ugly ugly loss. Offense can't drive in anyone, botched hit and run, defense throwing the ball around. Another one of those complete implosion innings like the ones from the Pittsburgh series. Hopefully this doesn't get into Bonderman's head too much, as he is the type to obsess on things.

Wow, what an ugly ugly loss. Offense can't drive in anyone, botched hit and run, defense throwing the ball around. Another one of those complete implosion innings like the ones from the Pittsburgh series. Hopefully this doesn't get into Bonderman's head too much, as he is the type to obssess on things.

he definitely got rattled (balk). but the tigers should be beaten with clubs for what they've done to that kid this year. my god.

but overall, a very successful series. come on: did you see them taking 2 of 3 this weekend? the twins LOST MORE GROUND to the tigers this weekend. it's all good.

the 8th inning today is one of those games you just have to shake your head and laugh about. the tigers have been on the other side of those these year, too.

he definitely got rattled (balk). but the tigers should be beaten with clubs for what they've done to that kid this year. my god.

but overall, a very successful series. come on: did you see them taking 2 of 3 this weekend? the twins LOST MORE GROUND to the tigers this weekend. it's all good.

the 8th inning today is one of those games you just have to shake your head and laugh about. the tigers have been on the other side of those these year, too.

Yeah, I'm not worried about impact on standings, or some kind of slide that takes us out of first. More an issue of the mental impact on Bonderman.

Tigers trade for Casey, send Shelton to minors.

The impact will be felt immediately as Fox Sports Net drops the Chris Shelton 'Whos your Tiger' commercial, the one talking about his 10 home runs in 13 games, from their telecasts. :banana:

Less than encouraging. Rogers and Robertson making their miserable second half track record visible yet again while the defense continues to make mistakes and the offense strikes out in bunches. Hoping Maroth's return and Casey's bat/glove will help offset some of that.

be nice if mike would delete this stupid thread

i forget...you a brewers fan? twins fan? cubs fan?

regardless, ouch, dude.

i forget...you a brewers fan? twins fan? cubs fan?

regardless, ouch, dude.

Nah, he is probably a Red Sox fan. Pretty sure he was the source of the legendary quote...

*post Patriot Super Bowl win, Drobeski gets into a p!ssing contest with a Packers fan*

"When was the last time the Packers ever won a Super Bowl?"

"Uh, 1997. When they beat the PATRIOTS"

:mad: