Sign in to follow this  
Mark Buffington

Yeah, no liberal bias from this media source

:first: Liberals, please defend this trash. :lol: Please call me a wacko conspiricy theorist! B)

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/print?id=2017093

Democrats Eye November Landslide

Democrats Eye November Landslide but Worry About Blown Opportunities

By RON FOURNIER

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Republicans are three steps from a November shellacking each a grim possibility if habitually divided Democrats get their acts together.

First step: Voters must focus on the national landscape on Nov. 7 rather than local issues and personalities that usually dominate midterm elections.

That would sting Republicans, who trail badly in national polls.

Second step: Voters must be so angry at Washington and politics in general that an anti-incumbent, throw-the-bums-out mentality sweeps the nation.

That would wound Republicans, the majority party.

Third step: Americans must view the elections as a referendum on President Bush and the GOP-led Congress, siding with Democrats in a symbolic vote against the Iraq war, rising gas prices, economic insecurity and the nagging sense that the nation is on the wrong track.

That would destroy Republicans, sweeping them from power in one or both chambers and making Bush a lame duck.

Less than six months out, most Democratic and Republican strategists say the first two elements are in place for now a national, anti-incumbent mind-set and all signs point to the third.

Still, many Democrats worry that their party has not closed the deal.

"The fear I have as a Democrat is that if we are making this solely a referendum on the Republicans, we are not giving people a reason to turn out," said Democratic strategist Chris Lehane of California.

"Having said that, I think all these other elements are so bad for the Republicans that 'Had enough?' should be enough."

Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean and the party's congressional leaders have clashed over money and the DNC's push for a unified message that draws a stark contrast with the GOP.

Inside the DNC, some officials point to internal polls that show voters holding both the Democratic and Republican parties in equally low esteem.

The fact that most voters, when forced to choose, tell pollsters they want Democrats rather than Republicans to control Congress is not a sign of strength, these officials say. Rather, it's evidence that voters are simply giving Democrats a chance to win them over a chance that can be blown unless Democrats stand for something other than attacking Bush, these officials said.

Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, the head of the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, agreed that Democrats have not sealed the deal.

"I think if the election were held today, there is a 50-50 chance of taking the House and the Senate and a very high percentage of gaining a significant number of seats," Schumer said.

"But things change."

Democrats outside Congress will be disappointed with anything less than major triumphs.

"Shame on us if we don't have a good election cycle," said Jill Alper, a Democratic strategist from Michigan.

Back to those three steps.

NATIONAL ELECTION: Among the two dozen Republican and Democratic strategists interviewed in the last two weeks, there was unanimity that the fall campaigns will be national in scope. Voters will give local issues less attention than normal, a bad sign for the GOP.

"If we keep it local we win; if they nationalize issues, they win," said Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anuzis.

Sen. Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina, head of the GOP Senate committee, seemed resigned to a national campaign. "Obviously, we're going to do everything we can here at the Senate committee to minimize any aspect of that," she said.

THROW THE BUMS OUT: More than 70 percent of Americans tell pollsters that the nation is on the wrong track. Larger percentages think corruption is a major problem in Washington. Incumbents have been roughed up already this year in Pennsylvania and Indiana, and in both cases Republicans suffered the worst.

If this shapes up to be an anti-incumbent midterm, "we'll lose some members" in Congress, said Democratic strategist Steve Elmendorf, "but they have more incumbents."

ANTI-REPUBLICAN TIDE: Whether 2006 turns out to be an anti-incumbent or anti-GOP election "is the 15-seat question," said Democratic strategist Dane Strother, referring to the number of seats the Democrats need to win to seize control of the House.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., says GOP majorities are "clearly in jeopardy" because the political landscape is both anti-incumbent and anti-Republican.

"They know that Republicans are in charge," the grim-faced presidential hopeful said of voters. "But I just want to emphasize that we have six months, and we can turn this around."

And Democrats could fumble the opportunity.

EDITOR'S NOTE Ron Fournier has covered politics for The Associated Press since 1992.

Associated Press writer Jon Sarche in Colorado Springs, Colo., contributed to this report.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures

Good stuff! :clap:

I'm shocked.

doesn't abc have dancing :unsure: cheerleaders too?

since they excluded them...this article = crap

can you explain the part you think is biased in one direction or another? This looks like another in a long line of lazy media stories that simply play on the conventional wisdom for both sides: the GOP are in trouble, but the Democrats are potentially too disorganized to take advantage.

Yep, it's probably them same damn pinko commie liberal media types that wrote "how the republicans can beat the democrats" in Newsweek not too long ago. :thumbsup:

can you explain the part you think is biased in one direction or another?
The bolded parts that highlight the wishful thinking of the writer. :thumbsup:

The bolded parts that highlight the wishful thinking of the writer. :wall:

One of the bolded parts is a direct quote. How is that wishful thinking? :thumbsup:

And why are the bolded parts about Republicans wishful thinking, but the speculation about Democrats failing to capitalize simply reportage of the facts? :thumbsup:

The reporter isn't saying anything in that article that consultants and politicians haven't already said, on record and off. To wit: "Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., says GOP majorities are "clearly in jeopardy" because the political landscape is both anti-incumbent and anti-Republican." Is that not exactly the sentiment being expressed in the bolded areas?

The bolded parts that highlight the wishful thinking of the writer. :thumbsup:

Inside the DNC, some officials point to internal polls that show voters holding both the Democratic and Republican parties in equally low esteem.

The fact that most voters, when forced to choose, tell pollsters they want Democrats rather than Republicans to control Congress is not a sign of strength, these officials say. Rather, it's evidence that voters are simply giving Democrats a chance to win them over a chance that can be blown unless Democrats stand for something other than attacking Bush, these officials said.

Okay, I bolded THESE parts. Is it now some Right Wing Fox News Clone Mouth Breathing Wet Dream focusing on the negatives in the Democratic party? Unless the author bolded the sections you did, I think you're grasping here.

One of the bolded parts is a direct quote. How is that wishful thinking? :thumbsup:

And why are the bolded parts about Republicans wishful thinking, but the speculation about Democrats failing to capitalize simply reportage of the facts? :thumbsup:

The reporter isn't saying anything in that article that consultants and politicians haven't already said, on record and off. To wit: "Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., says GOP majorities are "clearly in jeopardy" because the political landscape is both anti-incumbent and anti-Republican." Is that not exactly the sentiment being expressed in the bolded areas?

Meathead's failing to see any bias whatsoever reinforces the fact that it is.

McCain is a sell out to the Liberal media. He's not a war hero. The Swift Boat Veterans have personnally located several members of the Viet Cong who insist that McCain BEGGED them to let him stay in a prison camp rather than go back to combat.

Meathead's failing to see any bias whatsoever reinforces the fact that it is.

I said there was a clear bias here--a bias towards writing whatever it is "the insiders" tell them the story is supposed to be.

Not that I grant the article is biased, but even if it were, so what...you found ONE article today that showed a leftward bias. So if I find two articles today that were to show a rightward bias, then would that mean the media has a conservative bias.

Wow, one article. :D

Not that I grant the article is biased, but even if it were, so what...you found ONE article today that showed a leftward bias. So if I find two articles today that were to show a rightward bias, then would that mean the media has a conservative bias.

Wow, one article. :D

Man, you just haven't been keeping up with Amurica, have you?

"Left" Bias? - Awful. You're hurting the troops and helping the terrorists.

"No" bias? - See above.

"Right bias"? - Fair and Balanced.

Man, you just haven't been keeping up with Amurica, have you?

"Left" Bias? - Awful. You're hurting the troops and helping the terrorists.

"No" bias? - See above.

"Right bias"? - Fair and Balanced.

Both sides have bias, and both sides have different outlets for there bias.

Swift Gun Boat, What a joke. Certain members used to praise John Kerry for what he did, now, because they are Republicans Kerry isn't a hero! Now that McCain is trying to seperate himself from the ultra conservatives he no longer is a war hero! That's like saying the Jews begged to stay in the concentration camps. Or like the people that deny the Holocaust never happened. How sick is the political landscape going to get before, Liberal, Conservatives, and mid streamers realize what they are doing!

Read some of the far out crap that is being written on this board, where the heck are half you people comming up with this far out alligations?

Enough to drive a sane man crazy, can't we all agree there needs to be a change in the political landscape and it need to come from the voters, they need to stand up, rather than sit down and create such crazy sh!t as most of the stuff I have read on this board!

different outlets for there bias.

Swift Gun Boat,

Or like the people that deny the Holocaust never happened.

you people comming up with this far out alligations?

and it need to come from the voters, they need to stand up, rather than sit down and create such crazy sh!t as most of the stuff I have read on this board!

F- for you

If speaking the truth gets me an F- then I will take them all!

double F- for not understanding what the F- is for

I'm not gonna win the F argument am I? :banana:

let us start with 'deny the holocaust never happened' and move on from there :banana:

let us start with 'deny the holocaust never happened' and move on from there :banana:

There are people that deny it ever happened, there was a professor of I forget wich university recently said that...Let me see if I can find it.

There are people that deny it ever happened, there was a professor of I forget wich university recently said that...Let me see if I can find it.

uhh, nevermind.

F-

you found ONE article today

It's there everyday. :(

Both in print and in TV.

Do I need to bring up the New York times leaking classified information? You jackasses defending that it doesn't exist is what makes this so great! :lol:

The bolded parts are your own wishful thinking.

Is this the same Red White and Blue alias the MDC used to use?

The bolded parts are your own wishful thinking.

:blink: I wish for a "shellacking" and "wounding" republicans? Okay, sure. :wall:

Is this the same Red White and Blue alias the MDC used to use?

Must be since he's making no sense.

:blink: I wish for a "shellacking" and "wounding" republicans? Okay, sure. :wall:

Must be since he's making no sense.

No, you want so badly for there to be a massive liberal media conspiracy that you see one everywhere. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I bet you read the Inky with a highlighter.

No, you want so badly for there to be a massive liberal media conspiracy that you see one everywhere. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I bet you read the Inky with a highlighter.

And you blindly follow the press thinking they are not biased. I'm paraphrasing, but 68% of the media are democrats. Thems the facts, jack.

And you blindly follow the press thinking they are not biased. I'm paraphrasing, but 68% of the media are democrats. Thems the facts, jack.

You know that expression "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail?" That's your problem. You are so convinced of liberal media bias that you're incapable of not seeing it. You will post an article like this - which so far as I can tell expresses the same ideas I've seen in a number of right-wing pubs - but it would never occur to you to wonder how the press went along with Bush's WMD charade, why no one has asked the President point blank why for two years he pretended that Plame's identity was leaked rather than declassified, etc. I see that kind of thing all the time but I don't complain about it because the press isn't there to referee petty partisan squabbles. Complaining about the media - and academia, and the judicial branch, and lawyers, etc. - is just a way of gaming the system so guys like you can live in this fantasyland where Bush is 100% good and everyone would see what a terrific job he was doing if the tree-hugging liberals would just report on the positive for a change. How is the weather there today? It's humid and a little overcast here in "reality."

HTH

Blah blah liberals....blah blah conservatives.......

I am a white Texan in the military, someone tell me which team I am supposed to be on......

I am a white Texan in the military, someone tell me which team I am supposed to be on......

the girls

you forgot to mention you like america's gayest football team.

you forgot to mention you like america's gayest football team.

I don't like the Redskins. I am a Cowboys fan.

Go fock yourself.

the girls

I am more than happy to be on the girls team. :thumbsup:

I don't like the Redskins. I am a Cowboys fan.

Go fock yourself.

if my wife's not in the mood tonight...i just might. :thumbsup:

I am more than happy to be on the girls team. :(

It was intended that way. Thanks for your service. :thumbsup:

Wow! And I'm the one seeking nails. :pointstosky:

See? You either didn't read or just ignored everything I said. It's like a religious conviction with you guys - there's no point in arguing because you are utterly convinced you're right and don't want to hear anything that would challenge your preconceived notion. For the record I constantly see things in the paper that could be construed as left or right but I think that's the nature of language and the media. The large majority of those guys are trying to report the news in a nonpartisan way. Guys like you won't be satisfied until we have some kind of affirmative action for political ideas and even the worst president gets equal amounts of positive and negative press.

The large majority of those guys are trying to report the news in a nonpartisan way.

This is laughable. Do I need to link to the managing editor of the New York Times where he admitted there is a liberal bias in the media? Or are you the guy who argued that his opion was insignificant. Did I imagine Dan Rather pimping forged documents to meet his agenda? The list goes on. And before you bring up foxnews, "us" guys admit that its slanted to the right but it is a sliver compared to the hundreds of other outlets that are liberally biased.

This all must be in my head. :pointstosky:

This is laughable. Do I need to link to the managing editor of the New York Times where he admitted there is a liberal bias in the media? Or are you the guy who argued that his opion was insignificant. Did I imagine Dan Rather pimping forged documents to meet his agenda? The list goes on. And before you bring up foxnews, "us" guys admit that its slanted to the right but it is a sliver compared to the hundreds of other outlets that are liberally biased.

Again, you don't read what I write and just truck along giving me your thesis. Yes the Dan Rather thing was clearly bias there's no denying that. But so was Judith Miller reporting the White House's phony claims about Iraq's WMDs, and I never hear your side every taking the media to task for that. You see left wing bias because you want to see it.

Again, you don't read what I write and just truck along giving me your thesis. Yes the Dan Rather thing was clearly bias there's no denying that. But so was Judith Miller reporting the White House's phony claims about Iraq's WMDs, and I never hear your side every taking the media to task for that. You see left wing bias because you want to see it.

How was the Rather thing biased? They had documents which were confirmed to be correct in their content--Bush skipped out on his duty. They had a speed bias--get it out there before anyone else--which caused them to pimp documents that appear to have been copied from the originals. But the information they presented has yet to be refuted.